My Oblivious Dumb Best Friend

SuRene Drabble

“Kim Junmyeon, don’t you dare run away from me!” the small lady with short legs chasing the guy that is happily running. He’s not even running on a full speed because he knows, Bae Joohyun has short legs and she is not that athletic.

“What? I can’t hear you!” he answered still running.

“Kim Junmyeon, wait for me okay? I’m tired of running and I promise not to hit you, please?” the girl beg still running slowly but panting.

With that plea, the said boy stop his footsteps and wait for her. They’re on the way back home from class. The two are best friends since before they knew how to talk. They are neighbors, and housemates they are partner in crime, they are each other rivals, they are best friends most of all.

“Gotcha!” Joohyun sling his arm on Junmyeon shoulder and pull him down for a head lock. That’s how they are.

“Yah! Bae Joohyun that’s a foul, you promised me no hitting.” The guy whined.

“I promised no hitting but not no head locking! This is all your fault! What did you say to Kim Minseok sunbae ha? You brat!”

“What? I told him the truth. You don’t like him but you like me! What is so wrong about that?” he retorted back standing straight again after she release him.

Joohyun looked baffled with his answer and look at him in disbelieve. She scoff at him and said “I don’t like you Kim Junmyeon I like Kim Minseok sunbae.” With confidence.

And Junmyeon answered back in twice confidence, “Nah, you just have a crush on him but you like me.”

“Puahahahahah, you and your’ never ending of me liking you. Why are you so sure? Your face is so sure huuuuu I almost believe it. Why are you so sure that I like you? I’m your best friend of course I like you but I don’t like you like you like that.” Joohyun answered back.

Junmyeon looked confused, then he smirked.

“I just know Bae Joohyun.” He said eyes directly on her beautiful pair of doe eyes and walk away to the direction of their home hearing Joohyun laugh at the back once again.

“You just don’t realize it yet.” He said under his breath with a sigh still hearing Joohyun laugh.

“Hahahahaha, you and your confidence Junnie!” She wiped her tears and run to Junmyeon going to the same direction.

They are neighbors after all.

 

 

 

                The next day, there are just having the same routine as always. They went to campus together, ate lunch together and went back home together. It’s all the same boring old routine.

On one fine Wednesday, a new student were introduced to their International Business class. His name is Choi Minho, tall a broad shoulder, have a pair of beautiful big eyes. The girls are ogling over him and including Junmyeon’s best friend Bae Joohyun. Junmyeon just roll his eyes and said “Here we go again another crush and another competitor.” And he sigh. “When will you realize your feelings Baechu-yah!” he just want to scream that question out loud but he strain himself. And it became worst that this Minho guy will be sitting next to her.

Junmyeon have been scowling and grumpy for the next few days. The new transfer student being all chummy with Joohyun, his Joohyun. Joohyun will spend her lunch time with him and her friend another Juhyun but its Seo, Seo Juhyun.

                Today finally Joohyun and Junmyeon walked home together after so long. Junmyeon just keep his mouth shut, sulking. But the oblivious Joohyun just skip happily beside him. Suddenly she stopped and Junmyeon also stopped and looked at Joohyun face.

“Junnie, I have a confession to make.” Junmyeon heart suddenly beating, he was nervous he was afraid. She continued “I think, I really like Minho, Choi Minho.” And with that his world seems like crushing down. “Whaa what are you talking about Baechu? You you like me not Choi Minho he is just a crush.” He stuttered not the always confident Junmyeon talking. He suddenly felt that Joohyun is right she might like him. And just like that his chance shattered his confidence have been flushed down the drain.

 

He’d lost.

 

 

                For weeks Junmyeon have been avoiding his best friend. The confession that Joohyun said made him confused, angry, restless and also sad. He is so sure that Joohyun liked him. Is he too late? Is he not handsome? Is he wrong? He was so so so sure. Sigh

On the other side Joohyun feels empty and confused. “What’s wrong with me? Why I feel so gloomy? Where is Junmyeon? Is he avoiding me? I don’t see him anywhere, and he said he is busy. Right Vice-pres of course his busy! Don’t think too much Joohyun! His your best friend, why would he avoid you.” Joohyun convince herself that.

This morning also she walked to school by herself. She sighed “It’s been weeks, is he that busy?” the gloomy Joohyun just walk until she entered the school. And she don’t expect what next, Junmyeon is being all smiley to Park Chorong. Something in Joohyun are fuming. She just watched them quietly and think “Oh he has time for her and not me HIS BEST FRIEND!” Then she walk away with a bitter heart that she can’t even explain herself.

The day seems like mocking her with her bitter mood. When lunch he wants to eat with Junmyeon but Junmyeon refuse he said he was busy. Feeling dejected Joohyun just nod and just buy two breads for him and her so she can deliver it to him in the student councils room. When she arrived, she was shocked once more seeing Junmyeon and Chorong are sitting together eating the same bread that she bought munching happily without realizing that she’s in the same room. Feeling dejected once more she just walk out of the room with once again a bitter heart.

“He said he’s busy but he is busy flirting with his student council members.” With a scowling face Joohyun complain to herself about Junmyeon. She is sulking in her class alone. Thinking why are she so bitter about this? It’s like she is jealous! “No no no, I’m not jealous. Maybe I am. But as a best friend. I’m jealous and afraid because Junmyeon will replace me as a best friend with somebody else. Prettier, more elegant and smarter than me. That’s why I’m jealous right? Yes yes that’s right. Then she imagined that Junmyeon holding hand with Park Chorong, Junmyeon kissed her cheeks, Junmyeon go on a date with her. And with that Joohyun wanted to cry, she cupped her face with her hands. “What is wrong with me?” she sobbed. Thinking that she will be replaced by Junmyeon.

Junmyeon is heading back to the class when he heard someone’s cry, no she is sobbing and he knows who that is. He can guess even he is asleep. With panicked he ran fast to the direction he was heading. And he is right. He’s friend is crying no sobbing. His best friend, his childhood friend, his partner in crime and his first love.

Junmyeon slowly walk to Joohyun desk and sat in front of her and cleared his throat. And Joohyun was startled and look up, and her face scrunching seeing who it is. “What do you want Junmyeon. You are busy don’t you? Busy eating with other woman I suppose?” she don’t want to sound jealous but what the hell. Her face remain, but the stain of tears on her cheeks are there and she don’t want to bother wiping them. Junmyeon smiled, he knows that look and he knows that question, question of a jealousy woman. He suddenly felt light, he worried over nothing “She still like me.” He thought to himself.

Junmyeon cupped Joohyun face and wiped her tears with his thumb. “Why are you crying pabo-yah? Are you mad that I can’t eat lunch with you? Hmm?” even the tears are gone Junmyeon still caressed her cheeks, eyes are on hers lovingly. Joohyun is speechless, his touch are so smooth but it feels like burning her cheeks. Once again she cupped her face mumbling “I don’t know what you are talking about.”

Junmyeon chuckled “Or are you jealous seeing me with other woman?” and with that statement, again Joohyun lifts up her face with round eyes and said “I AM NOT JEALOUS KIM JUNMYEON! Tskk, why would I be jealous.” Crossing arms on her chest eyes wondering everywhere except Junmyeon’s face.

“Tskk, how many time that I told you Joohyun, you like me. That’s why you’re jealous.” When his confidence is back he gave her the same reason as always.

With that Joohyun smile “Now you’re back. Of course I like you dummy, you are my best friend.” She wants to the fast heartbeat go away that’s why she changed the topic.

“That’s not what I mean Joohyun, I mean you ..” suddenly people starts coming in the classroom the recess is finish “Wait for me after school, we going to go home together and I’m gonna tell you something important.” Seriousness plastered on Junmyeon’s face. And she just nod, her heartbeat still thumping furiously.

“He wants to tell me something important?” Joohyun was so curious. The entire day she is distracted and she thought of anything possible what are so important that Junmyeon wanted to say about. She just thinking all the worst case scenario and what ifs what ifs. And last of all she think “Does Junmyeon wants to confess?” she shakes her head. “What the hell are you thinking Baechu? Junmyeon doesn’t see you that way. Look at you? Look at Chorong? Totally different species. What the hell are you thinking, Junmyeon will never like you. He treats you totally platonic.” Joohyun convince herself sadly kicking the pebbles outside the school. She is waiting for Junmyeon.

“Hey sorry it took some time. Hey are you okay? What with the long face?” Junmyeon look at Joohyun and grab her arm. “Ani, nothing! I’m not, see.” Flashing her pearl white teeth. Junmyeon just smile back but he knows something is up. “Common lets go back shall we?” he intertwined Joohyun hand with his.

Joohyun was totally shock, and she wanted to pull her hand back but Junmyeon just walk ahead and hold on to her hand tighter. Joohyun is already red. Her face feels warm and his heart is beating at a very fast pace and her stomach felt giddy. She felt like her heart would burst and her stomach would also do the same. She just look down at her feet tailing Junmyeon, but Junmyeon pull her so that she’s on his side, walking side by side. Joohyun feels blood rushing to her face, her face are even redder, “What the hell is wrong with you Joohyun, it’s just Junmyeon. Your best friend, your childhood friend, your partner in crime and your first love.” She gasp, and forcefully pull her hand out of his. Junmyeon look at her puzzled. “Joohyun what’s wrong?” he tried to grab her shoulder but she take a step back, and Junmyeon just sigh. “What’s wrong Joohyun, talk to me? You’re making me worried.”

She just realize that she likes him. She likes her best friend. “He was right all along she do like him. How? Did he knows? Or he just teasing? Is it obvious? I can’t confess, he will reject me and we are just best friends after all, it’s just platonic. Oh gosh my heart gonna hurt so bad.”

Joohyun just shake her head, “Nothing I’m alright. I just realize something.” She just look down at her shoes. “What do you realize Joohyun?” Junmyeon bait.

“Nothing Junmyeon, can you walk home first? I want to be alone.” She said still looking down. Junmyeon sigh, and grab her hand and continued walking, “No I don’t want you to walk alone, we need to talk remember?” Junmyeon lead them to a park near their neighborhood and sat at one of the benches.

While facing Joohyun he start “Joohyun why are you crying in the classroom just now?”

Joohyun just playing with her fingers while looking down “Because I was jealous” her mind said “Nothing Junmyeon, don’t worry.” He answered.

“You saw me and Chorong in the student council room didn’t you?” Junmyeon tries again

“No. I wasn’t even there. What are you talking about,” she lied. Junmyeon smiled, “You know Joohyun we known each other what? All our lives right? You think I can’t tell when you’re lying?”

“Okay Junmyeon, I was there. So what?”

“So you are jealous,” he stated

“I AM NOT OKAY!”

“Yes you are.”

“I am not okay Junmyeon, why would I be?” she defend herself.

“Because you like me. How many times do I have to tell you, you like me…”

“Tskk, again with your confidence. I …I don’t Junmyeon.” She nervously lying and looking around.

“Yes Joohyun you do. I can read you. You just realize it right? When we are walking here, you just realize it right? Right? And when you saw me with Chorong, you are jealous right?” he hopefully ask.

Joohyun still looking down playing with her fingers, tears threatening to fall.

“Don’t leave me hanging Joohyun, please answer me?” Junmyeon plead, he felt like crying. This is his last chance. And if Joohyun still said no he will back off and just being best friends just enough even it hurts, time will heal. He hold Joohyun’s hand caressing it lightly with his thumb.

Joohyun did the same and she nod lightly, tears falling at last.

Junmyeon smiled. “Finally.” He sighed relief. He cupped Joohyun face caressing his face and rub her tears away “Hey hey hey, why are you crying? Is it that bad that you like me? You don’t like that idea do you? Hmm?” he gently said.

“Yes, you will never like me back. Oh god this is embarrassing, you knew I like you from the start. I knew it too but I just push it away, because because I know we never work out and you will never like me, you just treat me as a friend. And seeing you with other woman just trigger it. I don’t want you with other woman, I want you to be with me but…but” She sobbed. Junmyeon smile.

“You dumb dumb dumb woman, can’t you see I like you too? Why are you so oblivious? Why can’t you stare at my eyes? Why can’t you see a little bit more of me? I like you Bae Joohyun. As long as I remember.” He confessed and kissed her forehead lovingly. Joohyun eyes are open wide so does , her ugly sobbing just stop at that confession so does her heart. She stared at Junmyeon eyes for a long time to make sure and yes she found it, the warm warm eyes looking at her. And with that all her burden flies away.

She cried again, but it’s not sad tears this time it’s a happy tears. She can’t believe it she is overwhelmed. Junmyeon hug her and she hook her arms around his neck hugging him tighter.

“Oh god what is this? A sappy Korean drama?” she said he just chuckled. “Yup, it’s our sappy Korean drama, entitled My Oblivious Dumb Best Friend.” Joohyun broke the hug and smack Junmyeon shoulder with a loud “Hey!” Junmyeon rub his shoulder and mumble “and Violent Best Friend” but still smiling. He watched Joohyun mumbled quietly and wipe her tears away “I can’t believe this he liked me? All this time? Maybe I am dumb and oblivious, oh god this can’t be true,” she mumbled under her breath but still clear for Junmyeon to hear. He cupped her face again “It is true my Baechu, I do like you quite some time and you do like me but just oblivious about it.” Joohyun just nod. “Can I kiss you?” Junmyeon suddenly ask. Blood rushing to her face again with that question but she nod.

 And with that they kissed for a first time, not as best friends but as two lovers that are sure that they will fall in love from time to time for the rest of their lives.

 


 Another one . Just because. Sorry It's just a cliche fluff.