The Truth

SuRene Drabble

   

On the next day, Junmyeon look soooo un-Junmyeon. There’s eye bag under his eyes. His hair is messy. And he’s late for the first time today. When he already settled in his office, his cousin Jongdae barge into the room and whistles. “The rumors are true, you do look so un-you.” He chuckled and sit across Junmyeon eyeing the older. “What’s wrong hyung? Do you bump into your ex-girlfriend or something because you look like , like serious ?” with that Junmyeon growl. “Yes, yes I did. I bump into my ex-girlfriend and she already have a 4-year-old son and I don’t know who his husband is.” He burst. “Woah chill hyung. That bad? It’s just an ex-girlfriend. It’s not like she’s the ex-girlfriend that you love and broke up with before you went abroad,” Jongdae sass at him and it struck to him. “Jongdae, this is the ex-girlfriend that I love and broke up with before I went abroad.” He rolled his eyes.

“Holy! THAT EX-GIRLFIEND? Oh man. You must be broken hyung.” Jongdae eyed Junmyeon with sympathy. “Yeah, it’s just doesn’t make sense. And she is so hostile towards me. And his son, ohhh you got to meet her son. Adorable little guy.” He remembered Joonie. Jongdae just smiled. “Hyung you got to get married. You can’t ogle someone else’s son. Make your own god damn son. And you must forget her, it’s you the one who left not the other way around.” Jongdae sass again. Junmyeon pout. “Haaa hyung? Why don’t you meet Wendy’s friend? She is pretty, and I think she will suit you? Okay? Lunch? Okay, deal!” His cousin just make an appointment date for him and he can’t even protest because the sass king already making his way out of his office door. “Haish this Kim Jongdae.”

 

XXX Restaurant

Junmyeon and Jongdae is already there in the restaurant ordering food meanwhile the ladies are late. Once the door open Jongdae standing on his feet to greet his girlfriend. And bow at the other lady. When its Junmyeon turns he stop and stare at the said lady, the lady that he have met yesterday, the lady that told him to stay away.

“Junmyeon hyung this is Irene noona, she and Wendy are best friends. She’s the same age as you so don’t need the formalities. And Irene noona this is Junmyeon hyung or Suho, the cousin that I talked about.” He wiggled his eyebrow at Irene teasing her. “Junmyeon hyung? Junmyeon hyung?” he called Junmyeon that in daze. “Are you that captivated with Irene-noona beauty that you can’t even hear what I said? I don’t believe this. This morning you are like a man that’s been abandoned by his wife now you have that stupid puppy eyes when you saw her? I can’t believe this.” Jongdae blabbering, and Junmyeon cheeks are visibly red from the teasing.

“Oppa can you stop, poor Junmyeon oppa already embarrassed enough. Common let’s eat.” The oblivious couple don’t sense the tension in between the two former couple. The couple don’t know their past and they are not planning to tell them sooner. Wendy met Irene after Joonho was born, Wendy helped her a lot, since then they’ve been best friend. After Junmyeon left Joohyun will always introduce herself as Irene Bae.  Wendy knows about ‘the ex-boyfriend’ but don’t know who and even don’t know his name. Irene just called him Jun. And Jongdae knows about Irene’s ‘douche ex-boyfriend’ and also the little guy Joonho but he just don’t know that it HIS cousin. It is one small world after all.

“Umm Junmyeon hyung actually Irene-noona already has a son.” Jongdae broke the silence. Wendy nudge Jongdae ribs, Irene just eat her food silently. “I don’t mind.” Junmyeon’s reply. Still eating his food, and with that Wendy and Jongdae gasp. “Really?” “Jongdae stop. It’s just curtsy please can we just eat?” Irene plead. “Okay noona. If Junmyeon hyung is good for you and Joonie I don’t mind and Junmyeon hyung is not so bad. And you can finally forget that douche ex-boyfriend of yours that left you when you are pregnant!” Jongdae spills. And Irene face is red and her eyes widened. “Jongdae!” Wendy shout. “I’m sorry Irene unnie this sass mouth really can’t control himself. I’m sorry too Junmyeon oppa.”

Junmyeon just stared at Joohyun now Irene with disbelieve. Irene just play with her food. The revelation of Joonho’s father. And Junmyeon is not stupid to put it together. He has a son. He left his son and his lover here alone and he went abroad just like that without knowing anything. He felt all emotions to him, sad, happy, anger and confused. With that he stands up and pull Irene from her seat and said “We need to talk. Please.” Irene just nod and take her bag and bow to the two confused couple and out of the door. “Did I say something wrong?” Jongdae ask Junmyeon. Junmyeon just pat him in the back and dash out to catch up with Irene. Junmyeon drove them to his apartment, Irene protest but Junmyeon’s insist with gritted teeth. Irene was so stubborn.

When they settled in the living room he ask her with no patience left “Why don’t you tell me that Joonie is mine? That Joonie is my son?”

“First of all he is MY SON. And I don’t think you want to know. It will just burdened you more.” Joohyun reply. Junmyeon was hurt with Joohyun answers and he push that away thinking she was hurt long enough by him. She suffered alone. He thinks rationally with that tears fall from his eyes. Regret was coping through his heart.

“I’m sorry Joohyun, I’m so sorry. I don’t know you were pregnant. If I knew,” he sobbed “If I knew, I would have never left, I would have never broke up with you, and you know I love you right? I’ll always be. I searched for you, after 3 years of my studies. I searched for you. But you were no longer there. I assume you…you moved on. And I don’t want to pry. But I still love you Joohyun. I’m sorry. I just don’t understand why you don’t tell me you were pregnant with Joonie at that time. I feel so useless. Oh god, my poor Joonie. I’m sorry Joohyun”

Joohyun just cried hearing Junmyeon’s explanation. She sobbed. They sobbed hard thinking about them, thinking about the possibility if Junmyeon knew that she was pregnant back then. The possibility if Junmyeon knew that she still loved him. But she’s been hurt enough. She can’t rely on the “what if’s”. This is the real world and Junmyeon left her.

“On the day you broke up with me is the day I wanted to tell you that I’m pregnant. That I’m pregnant with your baby. Our baby. I’ve been 2 weeks pregnant by then, I already confirmed it with the doctor. But you beat me up to it. And I was so hurt. That’s why I kept it silent. I can’t believe you want to break up with me just because you don’t believe in a long distance relationship. Don’t you have faith in me Junmyeon? If I’m not even pregnant I believe we could work out even we are worlds apart because I believe how strong our love are. But I guessed you don’t. You don’t.” also crying.

“I’m sorry Joohyun, I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry for not believing in you, believe in us. My mistake. I’m sorry I regret it. You have been through a lot. I know I can’t make it up to you for the rest of my life. But, but I want to be better. For Joonie. Please, give me a second chance. Please.” Junmyeon beg still crying.

“Jun please don’t be like this. Why are you crying so much?” Joohyun asked wiping her tears.

“I’m just, it’s all my fault. I can’t imagine what you’ve been through. How Joonie have been through. It must be hard. Oh god just thinking about it makes me want to cry. I’m sorry Joohyun, I’m so sorry.” For the tenth time he apologize.

“I can’t say never mind Junmyeon but it’s already in the past. Stop crying you cry baby. It’s been 5 years and you still cry like a baby,” Joohyun chuckled.

“Do…do Joonie knows? That…I’m his father or he has a father?” he asked timidly.

Joohyun sigh, “No. I kept all your picture. I just told him that his father works really far and maybe he will never comeback. That is why he assume that he doesn’t have a father to begin with.” She answered looking down playing with her fingers.

“Oh.” Junmyeon was hurt once more. “Can’t you say to him that his father is back?”

“What are you implying Kim Junmyeon?” Joohyun ask suspiciously squinted her eyes at him.

“What? It’s true! I’m back and I will make it up to that little guy and be his father. You don’t want me in his life do you?” he asked suspiciously, and continued “That’s why you’re not planning to told me that Joonie is my son. Or not you have told me yesterday. That’s why you told me to stay away from both of you. How could you Joohyun?” he stared at her with hurt in his eyes.

“Yes Junmyeon. It’s for the better. For both of us. And also for you.”

“Bull!” Junmyeon cursed. “No Joohyun, I’m not going to let Joonho grew up without a father. 5 years is enough. And I’m gonna make up to him for the 5 years that I lost. Joohyun please, you can’t left me hanging after I know the truth. It kills me. Please Joohyun.” Junmyeon beg again.

“Okay, I will let you see him on the weekends . If you want to see him on weekdays you can just call me. We can arrange something.” Joohyun said making Junmyeon face lighten up.

“Oh god thank you Joohyun, I will be the best father ever.” He hug Joohyun tightly without him realizing.

“Ehemmmm,” Joohyun cleared “Opss sorry, I’m so happy and then ermm sorry.” He flustered.

“Joohyun, can we go tell Joonie now?”

“No Junmyeon, you have work and I have to get back to work.”

“Ok, what about after work? I’ll pick you up and we go home and tell Joonie? Please? I think I can’t wait another day without Joonie knowing I am his father.” Junmyeon said pleading.

“Home.” Joohyun thought. And with that Joohyun agreed, “Sure Junmyeon.” And she smiled.

“Yesssssssssss! I picked you up after work okay? Now let’s go to work. I can’t wait. Do you want to get something before going back? You don’t finished your food back there in the restaurant.” He pout.

“No Junmyeon, I’m good.”

The whole ride to Joohyun office is entertaining. Junmyeon kept asking about Joonho. What his favorite color? What is his favorite food? What is he allergic to? His favorite Avengers character and many more. It seems like Junmyeon can’t wait to meet Joonho. And Joohyun just pray that he will not spoiled him too much and Joohyun knows that’s not gonna happen. Junmyeon will definitely spoil our little guy. “Our little guy? Since when that my became our little guy? Joohyun please wake up.” Joohyun shake his head.

“Joohyun? Are you okay? Is this the right way?”

“Yeah Junmyeon, I’m alright. Yes a few blocks more.”