Family.

SuRene Drabble

It’s finally the fateful day of Joonho and Irene meeting with Junmyeon’s parents. She is emotionally unstable, because of nervousness. She can’t even imagine the situation that they will be facing. She is ready but unready at the same time.

Joonho is at the backseat singing to his favorite song that the radio played, and Junmyeon is driving while humming along. What a great chemistry these two have Irene thought. She just silently facing the window and saw that they entered a neighborhood that is so familiar with her. That she has been there a hundred of time in the past. She still can’t forget how gorgeous and lovely this neighborhood was. 

When she stepped out of the car, Joonho is already in Junmyeon’s hand, holding him. She counts to ten in her head and take deep breath before walking to the front door. Before Junmyeon could do anything to open the main door, it opens from the inside. There stood a woman in her fifties, it’s the same woman that treat Joohyun like her own child 6 years ago when she came to her son’s life. The difference is that she looks older but her eyes still lingers the same warmth that she held 6 years ago. And out of no where the woman, Mrs. Kim, Junmyeon’s mother hug her. Hug her so tight that Joohyun can’t control her emotions and cried with her. They hug for the longest, and the woman kept mumble, “Where did you go Joohyun-ah? Omma miss you.” “Why did you disappear just like that?” You must have a relly hard time.” I’m sorry, I don’ search for you.” She cried in her embrace. And Joohyun just sheke her head, don’t know how to response.

Junmyeon who witnessing that reunion has choked up. All he has in his head are self-blaming about the situation and what ifs. Joonho is already in his arm and confuse. Being a curious little nugget that he is, he asked, “Appa? Why are omma crying in halmonie’s arm? Why is omma sad? And who is that appa?” all back to back question. With his question, finally Junmyeon’s father, Mr.Kim realize that in his son’s arm is his grandson, his one and only grandson that he just discovered. He lights up and carried Joonho in his arm, “Hello little guy, I’m your grandfather. Your appa’s father. You can call me harabojie. Or you can just call me halbae.”

With that little information Joonho’s eyes widens and he struggle in the old man’s arm so that he can stand on his own feet. Mr.Kim is confused but still let him down. And when he is on the ground, he put his hand in front of him and bow like a polite little boy that he is. “Annyeonghaseyo harabojie, halmonie. My name is Kim Joonho. Nice to finally meet you. I miss you both very much.” With a smile on his face. Mr and Mrs Kim light up and coo at their grandson behavior. Junmyeon and Joohyun looking proud. Mrs. Kim bow back and carry Joonho in her arm and give a big smooch on thecheeks and hug the little man tight saying “I miss you too my grandson. You can call me halmae. Aigoo, you raised her well Joohyun-ah” Joonho just giggle. Joohyun just bow, tongue tight, don’t know what to say.

“Now, let’s go in and catch up.” She looks at Joohyun and smile. Joohyun just sheepishly smile back and nod. Junmyeon also smiled at how her mother treats his family. He was very glad and happy. He prays to God that Joohyun will accept him again, accept him back again in her life. Give him a second chance that he knows that he doesn’t deserve.