Chapter 4

My Lotus Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a Sunday morning and Adelaide was making breakfast for her and her sister. Christine was still asleep in her room while Adelaide took out the cinnamon rolls she had baked a few minutes ago. As she set them on the table, Christine opened the door to her room and walked out. Adelaide smiled at her sister before greeting her.

“Good morning sleeping beauty.” Adelaide teased as Christine rolled her eyes. Adelaide laughed at her younger sisters’ appearance. She had on a plain T-shirt that was too big for her and baggy pajama pants. She wore no socks and her hair was all over the place. Some parts were sticking out in every direction while other parts were tangled within each other. “I see you still haven’t changed much, Chris.” Adelaide said as she tried her best to hold onto her laughter. Christine rolled her eyes once more before going into the bathroom. Adelaide laughed as soon as Christine closed the door. A few seconds later Christine opened it again and threw a clean small towel at her sister. Both girls’ laughter echoed in the hotel room.

 

After a few minutes Christine sat at the dining table with her sister. Christine looked at the food set on the table and smiled.

“It’s been ages since I last had a home cooked breakfast. Since I’m not exactly a morning person and mom isn’t here I normally just eat a bowl of cereal. On weekends I just sleep in and eat lunch at a local place. It’s nice having an American style breakfast, but how did you make the cinnamon rolls? Korea doesn’t have these pre-made or anything like that.” Christine smiled as she looked at her sister. Adelaide smiled at her and nodded.

“Idiot. You’re the one who taught me how to make cinnamon rolls from scratch remember? Back in 8th grade when you took that culinary class you bragged for days that you could make cinnamon rolls from scratch.” Adelaide said laughing as she served herself a plate of food.

“Oh yeah! I completely forgot about that.” Christine said laughing as she served herself a plate of food as well.

 

5 years ago

“Mom! Mom! Mom!” Christine shouted as soon as she entered her house. Adelaide followed her sister and rolled her eyes. Their mother looked at them and smiled.

“What is it, Christine?” Their mother asked Christine. Christine showed her mother a paper she had been firmly grasping since school ended. Adelaide set her backpack on the couch and the TV. Their mother took the paper and stared at the page confused. All she saw was a recipe for cinnamon rolls when she had expected to see a test grade of a 100. She looked at her daughter confused. “What’s this honey?” She asked cautiously.

“Today in culinary class we made cinnamon rolls. Not the cinnamon rolls you get from Wal-Mart that’s pre-made, but from scratch!” Christine said excitedly. Her mother looked at her and smiled.

“She’s been bragging about that since school ended. I still think her teacher did all the work and she just added some ingredients or set the timer.” Adelaide responded as she surfed through the channels. Christine turned and faced her sister.

“That’s not true.  We did it on our own. The teacher only helped with putting them in the oven.” Christine responded back. Adelaide turned around from the couch and faced her sister.

“Prove it. Since tomorrow is Saturday make them for breakfast.” Adelaide said. Christine looked at her older sister annoyed.

“You know I hate mornings. Besides it’s a two day process.” Christine shot back. Adelaide smirked at her sister and turned around again.

“Told you she was lying.” Adelaide said proudly thinking she had won. Christine stood in front of the TV and frowned at her sister.

“You’ll see.” Christine said as she walked to her room. Adelaide watched her sister as she closed the door to her room. Their mother walked over to Adelaide with a frown on her face.

“Adelaide Brittany Stevens.” Her mother said in a harsh tone which made Adelaide flinch upon hearing her full name. “You know you’re still takes great pride in what she learns in school and all her achievements. Why did you discourage her like that? You know she’s strong headed. She won’t give up until she gets it right.” Her mother said to her.

“Because she’s always bragging. She gets all A’s and she brags. She performs at a concert at school with the chorus and she brags. She learns a new sport that she’s good at and she brags. She learns one new thing in culinary class and she brags. All she ever does is brag about herself.” Adelaide responded as she looked at her mother. Her mother sighed as she shook her head.

“To you she may be bragging

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter