CHAPTER 8

ECHO

Nichkhun walked down the stairs. His stomach is growling and he needed something to satisfy them. His eyes set on Jessica’s door.

‘did she come back safely?’ he can’t help but asking himself. He shook his head and continued his way to the kitchen.

“do you have anything ready? I’m starving,” ahjumma smiled towards Nichkhun.

“you’re lucky I guess. I baked some scone just now and it’s ready to be served. Just wait in the living room. I’ll serve them in a minute,” said ahjumma.

Nichkhun rested his head on the back of the sofa. Today, he only had schedule in the morning. He reached the remote control and switched on the TV. Few minutes after that, ahjumma came with the foods ready.

“here you go. If you anything, just call me,” said ahjumma. Nichkhun wanted to asked about jessica, but he still hesitated. It was just not so him to curious about girls.

“a.. ahjumma. Did jessica come back?” he asked. Ahjumma turned back with smile on her face.

“why are you smiling? I’m just asking,” ahjumma still smiling when Nichkhun asked that.

“why do you ask then?” ahjumma asked him, ignoring Nichkhun’s question.

“well, you know, it’s kind of weird when… when she’s not around at this hour,” he answered.

 “hmm, she’s back. Hours ago. But, she didn’t come out after that. I did knock on her and ask her for lunch, but she refused to eat. She only assured me that she’s OK. Why don’t you go and ask her. maybe she need someone to talk to,” explained ahjumma.

Nichkhun didn’t move. He wanted to go upstairs but he didn’t know how to react after that. Why did he has to be that way. It’s just Jessica and of course he can deal with her.

“I’m going to gome early today. My niece’s coming. So, do ypu want anything from me before I go back home?” said ahjumma.

“I’m ok ahjumma, you can go back early. For the dinner, I can cook myself. So, don’t worry” Nichkhun replied.

“oh, Jessica didn’t eat yet after she’s back. It’s not good for the baby if she doesn’t eat proper meals,” ahjumma said before leaving Nichkhun alone. After a long consideration, he stood up and climbed the stairs. Once he reached his sister’s a.k.a Jessica’s room now, he hesitated to knock. He and Jessica were not in good term of relationship that allowed him to react like he cared.

Nichkhun braved himself to knock on the door. He didn’t receive any reply from Jessica. Once again, he knocked. After a long paused, he heard soft click indicating the door was opened from inside of the room. Jessica appeared with her puffy eyes. Judging from Jessica’s appearance, Nichkhun knew, there’s must be something bad happen but he did not bother to ask. His mission was to get Jessica down and eat.

“hey, ahjumma make some scone. Do you want to eat some?” Nichkhun asked.

“thanks but I do not have any appetite now. You can enjoy it yourself,” she said before trying to close the door. Nichkhun quickly stopped her attempt by blocking the door with his muscular hand.

“look, whatever happen to you today, I know it has nothing to do with me. But, you have to eat. The baby inside you needs to eat. I don’t want to hear anything about your love story or whatnot, but I want you to forget that for a while and come down now.” he instructed. Seriously, he didn’t want to get involved with Jessica’s problem.

“you hate it when I keep pestering on you and bothering you. So I am I. I want to be alone now and I hope you understand me,” she replied while trying to avoid Nichkhun’s gaze. Nichkhun released soft sighed hearing Jessica’s words.

“OK, I’ll go down after this.” She said.

*******************************************

Jessica sat on the sofa beside Nichkhun. Her hand reached out for the scone on the serving plate. She tried to push herself to eat the foods. Nichkhun acted like she’s not there.

“I don’t want to talk about that” jessica said after silence filled the space between them. Nichkhun raised his gaze, meeting Jessica’s. He raised his thick eyebrows.

“I didn’t ask anything,” he replied.

“I know you didn’t, but I know you’re going to,” said Jessica.

“whatever.” He answered halfheartedly.

“where’s ahjumma? Is she outside?”

“she’s already return home. Her niece’s coming and she asked to go back earlier today. But don’t worry, I’ll cook for you.”

“you know what, can I cook for the dinner?” jessica asked out of sudden.

“you cook?” Nichkhun widened his eyes. Jessica laughed at his expression.

“wae? I don’t look like I cook? I know how to cook. When the dinner’s ready, I’ll call you.”

“are you sure? You don’t want any help?” jessica shook her head, refusing Nichkhun’s offer. After a short while, Nichkhun disappeared into his room, giving Jessica space to prepare the dinner.

********************************************

 Nichkhun’s eyes widened as he studying all the dishes on the table. There were about five different dishes served on the table. He still can’t believe the fact that Jessica knew how to cook. The dishes looked perfect like the one you get in the restaurant.

“are you sure you cook this? Or, did ahjumma come to give you all these dishes?” Nichkhun asked disbelief.

“no and no. Is it that hard to believe that I’m such a good cook? Take you sit Nichkhun-shi,” Jessica instructed. She still at the kitchen. Nichkhun observed his kitchen, all clean without any broken plates. He slowly took his seat. Jessica placed his rice in front of him before taking her seat in front Nichkhun.

“Ok, you may try now,” she said with a light smile still on her lips. Nichkhun reached his spoon and slowly spooned his stew.

“how’s the taste? Is it that bad? I’m quite confident though,” Jessica asked when Nichkhun didn’t make any comment about the taste.

“It’s good,” he said.

“you sound not sincere”

“no, it’s really good Jessica. I just can’t explain it in words,” Nichkhun replied. Jessica laughed at his words. After that, they silently enjoyed their dinner.

****************************************************

“hyung, did Jessica ever do something weird when she’s in some kind of stressful condition?” Nichkhun asked. He quickly rang yunho, Jessica’s brother after they finished their dinner.

“oh, wae? Did she cook?” Yunho asked.

“yeah. She cooked a lot of food. She went to Seoul this morning, and when she came back, she locked herself in her room. When she came out, she suddenly asked me to cook for dinner and here you go, variety of food on the table,” Nichkhun explained. He can hear Yunho laughed at the other side.

“well, she will cook whenever she feel stress. You’re lucky because now her cooking skill is improved a lot. Can you imagine I have to stand eating her awful dishes when she was still in school?”

“OK, that’s explain why,” Nichkhun smiled.