CHAPTER 22

ECHO

 

Jessica woke up early that day. She didn’t want to wake up yet but her eyes were wide open. Her mind started to work. She remembered every single thing that happened last night. She slapped her cheek lightly, trying to chase away those memories.

 

how am I going to face him today?’ she said to herself. After her sudden confession last night, she didn’t think that she can act normal in front of Nichkhun.

 

Jessica didn’t know how to explain her feeling at that time. A mixture of feeling.

 

Shame? Yes, she did feel ashamed because Nichkhun didn’t accept her feeling back.

 

Happy? Yes, because finally she expressed what she felt to Nichkhun even though he didn’t accept it back.

 

Angry? Also yes, because she can feel that Nichkhun was denying his feeling toward her. She can’t tell the reason but she can feel that Nichkhun was hiding something from her.

 

should I act like that confession was never happen? Or maybe should I just ignore him? people said that time will heal the wound and I’ll try to take that as an advice. I’ll try to avoid him and we’ll see what happen’ Jessica finally came with decision. She’ll try to avoid Nichkhun. Facing Nichkhun everyday will just make her feeling toward him became stronger. So, avoiding him was the best option.

 

When she was about to leave the room, her phone was ringing. “hello,” she said without looking at the caller’s name.

 

“hello,” she said again when no one was speaking.

 

“hey babe” Jessica stopped to breath for a millisecond when that voice registered her head.

 

“sica”

 

“I’m sorry sir but I’m afraid that you’ve got a wrong number”

 

“no sica. I know it’s you. Please don’t hang up on me. It’s me, Taec,” Taec introduced himself even though that he positive that Jessica knew who he was. Jessica sighed.

 

“I don’t know you.”

 

“come on Jessica. I know you still remember me.”

 

 “what do you what?”

 

“I’m sorry. I know you’re angry at me but I’m sorry. I want to apologize and you deserve it,” Taecyeon stopped before continued. “I know I was a jerk. And I’m always one. But, after you left my life, I was in misery Jessica. Everything that I do was not right. And I know the decision of letting you go was my biggest mistake.”

 

“I still remember my word Taec. By the time you told me to abort this child, you’re losing me too. So, what’s the point of apologizing? And you take months to apologize? What a jerk” Taecyeon fell into silence.

 

“I was wrong OK. After you left, I tried to live like I normally do. I tried to enjoy my freedom but I nothing was right. You’re everything to me Jessica. Can you give me a second chance,” he finally said his intention.

 

Jessica didn’t say anything. She didn’t know why but everything that taecyeon said left nothing in her heart. She guessed that she can finally remove Taecyeon from her heart.

 

“let me responsible with what I’ve done,” Taecyeon continued.

 

“you should said this few months ago oppa,” Jessica said.

 

“I tried to look for you OK. After you told the media that you wanted to pursue your study, I thought you’re going to the university that you once told me. But, when I went there, you’re not there. I was about to give up until I find out that you live with Nichkhun. I want to see you and I asked him to let me see you. But, I guess he was too protective,” Taecyeon made up the story. He just wanted to make Jessica believe in him.

 

“well, he did the right thing. Even he let you to see me, I won’t see you. Look oppa, after everything that you did to me, I don’t think that I’m ready to accept your apology. I’m sorry,” she said before hung up.

 

********************************************************************

 

Jessica smiled at Ahjumma who was cooking the breakfast. “morning ahjumma,” she said in her normal tone.

 

“morning sica. how’s last night? Have a wonderful birthday party?” ahjumma asked.

 

“last night was a blast. It’s unfortunate that you have to go back early,” Jessica pouted.

 

“aigoo. You have enough people to celebrate you last night right?” Jessica smiled. Her eyes started to look for Nichkhun.

 

“Nichkhun said you don’t have to wait for him for breakfast. He has urgent matter outside. He was out early in the morning,” ahjumma explained. Jessica nodded. She can’t help but think that Nichkhun was trying to distance himself from her.

 

‘it’s good for you sica. remember you plan? You want to avoid him right? How are you going to stay away if he was here everytime?’ jessica said to herself. She slowly ate the breakfast without further comment.

 

*******************************************************************

 

Jessica sat on the couch. She placed a hardcover book on her lap and opened it. That book contained all her designs. Ahjumma approached her with orange juice.

 

“here, your juice,” she said.

 

“thank you ahjumma”

 

“what is that? what are you doing?”

 

“ahh, this?” Jessica pointed to her book. “this is actually a secret but I’ll tell you what. This is my design book. I’ve been drawing some design for my own clothes and this is so called my collection,” Jessica explained with a smile.

 

“waa, you are so talented. And what is this? a tux?” ahjumma pointed to a design.

 

“yeap. I was actually designing a tux for… oppa. You know, he’s been good to me and as a token of gratitude, I want to design something for him,” Jessica said.

 

Ahjumma smiled at her. “it’s beautiful. I’m sure that Nichkhun will like it”

 

“what’s your plan after this?” ahjumma asked.

 

“I don’t know ahjumma. I mean I’ve been thinking about this a lot but I still didn’t come out with decision yet. I’m tired of running away from reality anymore,” she said in a low voice.

 

“what do you mean by that? Do you want to tell people the truth?”

 

“I…. sooner or later, people will know about this ahjumma.”

 

“but, what’s the point of you hiding away from people of all these time?”

 

“I was stupid back then. I made my decision without thinking. If I didn’t tell people the truth now, people will know it later which is much worse.”

 

“is nichkhun knows about this?” Jessica shook her head. “not even my brother”

 

“you should ask them for opinion Jessica. you said that you don’t want to do anymore mistake right? So, you should ask them what’s the best,”

 

“I will. Thanks for the advice ahjumma”

 

Ahjumma left Jessica alone. She started to focus on her drawing. Her fingers moved smoothly on the white paper. She needed to escape for reality for a while.

 

“hey, what are you doing?” Jessica heard someone was asking her question. She quickly raised up her head and her heart skipped a beat when her eyes met Nichkhun’s.

 

“no… nothing.” She replied in short. Nichkhun nodded before went to the kitchen. Jessica can hear his voice talking with ahjumma. She tried to focus on what they’re talking but because the distance, she can barely hear their conversation.

 

“I’m…. late… stay…” Jessica couldn’t catch up with what they’re up to. She gave up and focused on her drawing again.

 

“I have to go now. Jessica, don’t stay up late,” Nichkhun said to her. She just replied with a nod without looking at his face. When Nichkhun left, she sighed.

 

‘you don’t to run away from me you know oppa. From now on, I’ll be the one who avoid you,’ she monologue. She placed her hand on her chest. She’s hurt.

 

‘I wonder, if I didn’t confess last night, are you going to avoid me like today oppa? Tiffany, Yuri, look what have happened. You guys told me that I should confess and live happily with Nichkhun. I confessed but I lose him!’ she felt like crying.

 

Her monologue scattered when the phone beside her was ringing. Jessica looked at that phone. Her hand reached the receiver. “hello” she said.

 

“hello, can I speak with Nichkhun?” a girl asked for Nichkhun.

 

“I’m sorry but he went outside already. Why don’t you try to call his cell?” Jessica suggested. Maybe his manager or staff was looking for him.

 

“I did but I can’t reach him. You must be Jessica right? Can you tell him that I’ll be late for the lunch. I need to extend my appointment till 3PM. Can you tell him to meet me during dinner instead?”

 

Jessica can’t help but felt weird that the caller who she was. She just nodded while writing the message on the post-it-note beside the phone. “and may I know who’s speaking?”

 

“I’m Victoria,” she said. Jessica didn’t know how to respond. She didn’t realize when Victoria ended the call. The only thing that she can hear was ‘beep’ sound.

 

‘did they…. Oppa and Victoria-shi…’ again she felt hurt.

 

that’s why oppa refuse to accept me? Or maybe oppa never feel anything towards me? It’s just me who felt this stupid thing. Aigoo Jessica, you should realize who are you. Don’t you feel ashamed to think that he has feeling toward you? Because he taking care of you, doesn’t mean that he love you!!!

 

“oh khun? Why do you come back?” Jessica heard ahjumma was talking with someone. When she raised her head, she found Nichkhun, standing at the stairs.

 

“I left my handphone. I’m expecting an important call from someone,” Nichkhun said to ahjumma. Jessica couldn’t stand anymore. She slowly stood up and walked toward Nichkhun. She halted as she was in front of him. She handed him the note.

 

“what’s this?” Nichkhun asked.

 

“the important call that you’re expecting,” Jessica said before climbing the stairs to her room.

 

Nichkhun looked at the note in his hand. He read the note silently. “so you know?” he said to Jessica who just few stairs away.

 

“know what?”

 

“that I’m meeting vic?”

 

Jessica sighed. “it’s your right oppa. And I’m no one to tell you not to do so,” Jessica quickly climbed the stairs. At the end of the stairs, she stopped and looked at Nichkhun. “seriously oppa, if you two want to go back together, go ahead. Don’t feel sorry,” she said and left.

 

Nichkhun sat on the stairs. His legs felt so weak. ‘what should I do sica? what should I do to make us happy? I don’t mean to let all these to happen. Looking at you like this, I want to hug you, I want to make you happy. I want you to be part of my life. But I can’t sica, I can’t

 

************************************************************

 

Wooyoung took a seat beside his friend. He received Nichkhun’s call asking to meet him at their regular place. “what’s wrong? You look …. terrible,” wooyoung said with smile on his face. He can read problems all over Nichkhun’s face.

 

“spill man~ I’m not a fortune teller. I can’t read your mind you know. you face tell me that you have dozens of problem but I don’t know what they are. I’m here, all yours. So, spill,” wooyoung said while tapping his shoulder.

 

Nichkhun sighed. “I don’t know where to start,” he finally spoke.

 

“you have me all day. So, anything is fine” wooyoung joked. Nichkhun laughed but obviously, he’s faking it.

 

“Jessica…”

 

“what’s wrong with Jessica?” wooyoung said in hurry.

 

“she confessed to me last night”

 

“finally?” wooyoung said.

 

“what do you mean by finally?”

 

“it’s so obviously that she’s in love with you. Don’t play dumb Nichkhun. so, what’s the problem with her confessed? You like her too right?”

 

“I do but…”

 

“you still love vic?” wooyoung guessed.

 

“no. I love Jessica but I can’t accept her feeling.”

 

“why? Because she’s pregnant with someone else baby? That’s why you can’t accept her?”

 

“for God sake stop guessing,” Nichkhun scolded wooyoung.

 

“if you don’t want me to guess, don’t make me to”

 

Nichkhun took a deep breath before spilling everything about Taecyeon threatened him and Victoria’s come back. “so he threatened you?” Nichkhun replied with a small nod.

 

“are you afraid of losing your future or are you afraid of losing her?” wooyoung asked.

 

“I’m afraid of losing both. But, losing her is the scariest thing,” Nichkhun confessed.

 

“so, why do you just giving up?”

 

“I’m trying to protect her. I don’t know what’s Taec’s planning but I can sense that he’s planning something horrible”

 

“so why don’t you accept Jessica’s feeling?”

 

“Taec has our pictures wooyoung. If he knows something happening between me and Jessica, he will give that picture to the media. And both of us will be over,” Nichkhun said in angry tone.

 

“so just give up on her. Give Taec what he wants,”

 

He didn’t reply. Wooyoung looked at him while raising his eyebrows.

 

“so you want to let her go?”

 

 “if she wants… I mean, Taec is the father right? Me and Jessica was just another story. I was just a stranger that accidentally enters her life. Everything has to go back to original story again right?”

 

“you know that taec’s planning something bad but you still want to let Jessica go back to him?”

 

“I know… but if when people find out that Jessica’s pregnant, I believe that Taec will tell something good. I mean he won’t do something that damage his own future right? But if me being together with Jessica, I’m sure that he’ll create a lie and Jessica’s future will be gone forever. People won’t accept her ever again. you don’t know the effect that he has wooyoung. If taec wants to do something, he’ll do. And with power that he has, I’m afraid to guess what will happen,” Nichkhun said. He knew what he did is wrong but he has to.

 

 

“what if taec wants to use the baby to do something to Jessica’s family’s company? You told me that their parents are rival right? So, It’s possible you know?” Nichkhun didn’t think about that.

 

“I don’t think he’s that bad,” he replied.

 

“we never know who’s the real taec right? And how vic came into the story?” Nichkhun nearly forgot about Victoria.

 

“she called me few days back. She said that she received her latest medical check-up result and the result was bad. Her cancer comes back and she’s already in critical stages. She needs me for some reasons and as her friend I’ve been seeing her few days already. And, unfortunately, this morning, she called my house to tell me about our appointment and Jessica was the one who picked up the phone. I think she misunderstood about all this but I guess I’ll just go with the flow. Things will be easy if she thinks that Victoria and I are getting back together,” Nichkhun explained.

 

Wooyoung shook his head unbelief. “you’re screwed man,” he said to Nichkhun.

 

 

 

This is not the best chapter from me… huhu..

Just coming out from my hiatus mood…

School is killing me nowadays…

I have dozens of assignments and test to do..

And, I’m sorry if you guys didn’t satisfy with this chapter. I should do better but I can’t.. huhuhu…

I’m confused and I don’t blame you guys if you do confused with the storyline of this chapter.. hehe.. I just miss to update ECHO.. so enjoy~