CHAPTER 20.1

ECHO

because this chapter is super long, so i cut it into 2.. hehehe...

 

 

 

“oppa~” jessica whispered to Nichkhun’s ears. Nichkhun moved a little but still didn’t open his eyes.

 

“oppa~” again she whispered. She moved closer to Nichkhun. Her hand reached Nichkhun’s cheek and she quickly squeezed them. Jessica laughed when Nichkhun seemed bothered with her action. His eyebrows nearly crashed together. Jessica knew when Nichkhun did that, he’s very angry.

 

“what are you doing Jessica?” Nichkhun asked as soon as his eyes wide open. He startled because their faces was too close, only few inches apart.

 

“morning sunshine!!!” Jessica said in happy tone. She stood up and held Nichkhun’s arm, forcing him to stand up.

 

“for God sake Jessica, I only sleep for only 2 hours. I came home late last night. So, can you let me sleep for another 2 hours,” Nichkhun said. He closed his eyes again. He really felt so sleepy right now. That week was the busiest week ever. After 4 days in Japan, he returned to Korea. Few days after that, he went to the airport to send his mother after she finally decided to fly back to London. Without any rest, he had to attend Andrew Kim fashion show for 2 days straight.

Jessica pouted. “but today is my birthday oppa~” silence. Nichkhun’s already dozed into his dream. “and I miss you too,” she continued. Her eyes crawled on Nichkhun’s tired face. She rarely saw Nichkhun this week. She knew that he had such a busy schedule that week and she decided not to bother him. However, today is her birthday, and she didn’t want to be alone.

 

Jessica lied herself beside Nichkhun. She stared at Nichkhun flawless face. Her hand played with Nichkhun’s thick eyebrows. When Nichkhun moved, she stopped. Then, she continued again until she fell asleep beside Nichkhun.

 

********************************************

Nichkhun opened his eyes. He felt his right hand numb and he found Jessica sleeping on it. He replaced his numb hand with a pillow. He rose and stretched a little bit. Nichkhun heard his phone ringing. He quickly picked up his phone and left the room.

 

“oh yunho hyung…”

 

“khun, what are you doing?”

 

“I’m just waking up”

 

“working late last night?” Yunho asked with concern.

 

“yeah. Pretty late,” Nichkhun replied.

 

“where’s sica? I tried to call her but she didn’t answer,” Yunho asked. He tried to call Jessica a couple of time before deciding to call Nichkhun. Nichkhun looked at Jessica who was still sleeping soundly on his bed.

 

“sleeping… maybe. I don’t see her yet,” Nichkhun lied. He will never tell Yunho that Jessica was still sleeping in his room.

 

“oh yeah. I forgot that Jessica will never pick up her phone when she sleeps. In fact, she doesn’t even realize her phone ring,” yunho laughed.

 

“khun, I was thinking to go to your place today” Yunho continued.

 

“sure hyung. You’re most welcome. And I’m sure Jessica wants to see you,” Nichkhun said, giving Yunho permission.

 

“well, actually, today is sica’s birthday. So I was thinking to bring her best friend together with me. Can I?” yunho hesitated. He knew, Nichkhun didn’t really like the idea of gathering at his place.

 

“emmm… so today is Jessica’s birthday? Well, sure, you can bring her best friend. Since you want to come, why don’t we throw a surprise birthday party for her,” suggested Nichkhun. Yunho didn’t believe at his words at first.

 

“ssshure… I’ll come this evening. I’ll buy some cake on my way. See you soon Khun. And, don’t tell sica that we’re coming”

 

“roger that hyung” Nichkhun put his phone on his bed before leaving his room. He needed to prepare for the party.

 

***************************************************

 

Jessica slowly opened her eyes when she felt ‘her phone’ vibrated under her arm. She lazily placed the phone at her left ear. “yoboseyo~” she said with husky voice.

 

“oppa?” said a voice. A girl’s voice to be exact.

 

“oppa?” Jessica repeated the same question before continued. “sorry miss, you’ve got a wrong number.” Jessica canceled the call.

 

When she was about to sleep, again, the phone vibrated. She picked up the phone without opening her eyes. “yoboseyo~ is this Nichkhun’s phone?” Jessica recognized she was the same girl that called few seconds ago.

 

“seriously miss, this is not Nichkhun’s phone,” she said before canceling the call. Jessica placed ‘her phone’ under the pillow and tried to sleep again. A few minutes later, ‘her phone’ started to vibrate again.

 

ok, why people keep calling me this morning,’ she monologue. She adjusted her position to sitting position. Her hand reached the phone under the pillow and answered it.

 

“seriously? This is not Nichkhun’s phone. Could you please stop calling me and ask for Nichkhun?” she blurted as soon as she answered the call.

 

“Jessica?” asked a guy’s voice.

 

OK, first, this is not the same girl that called her earlier.

 

Second, why is that voice sound familiar? Sounds like yunho oppa’s voice.

 

“oooopppa?” she said.

 

“Jessica, why do you answer Nichkhun’s phone?” her brother asked.

 

“what are you talking about oppa? this is my phone,” she replied.

 

“I clearly remember that I dialed Nichkhun’s numbers, not yours” Jessica separated the phone from her ear to take a look at the phone. In her hand, it was a brand new Samsung Galaxy III which is obviously not her phone.

 

okay, this is not my phone…’ she murmured.

 

“I was mistakenly thought that this is my phone,” she said once she placed the phone on her ear.

 

 “your voice sounds like you just waking up from your sleep. And, to make it weird, you answer khun’s phone with that voice. Is there something happen to both of you?” Yunho asked. Jessica could sense that her brother was smiling right now.

 

“ani…. I fell asleep on the couch in the living room. And I think khun oppa left his phone on the coffee table which when it’s ringing, I thought that was my phone… aish.. it’s hard to explain oppa. oppa, are you coming today? You don’t forget right, what day is today,” Jessica quickly changed her subject.

 

“I’m sorry my dear. I can’t be there today. I know today is your birthday and I’m calling you from Hong Kong now. by the way, happy birthday my little sister,” Yunho lied about his whereabout. He wanted to make the party a surprise for Jessica.

 

“but you never miss my birthday before…” Jessica said in sad voice.

 

“I know… but, you have Nichkhun with you right?” Yunho tried to persuade her.

 

“it’s not the same oppa. Nichkhun is not my brother. He’s just somebody else. What I want is you…” tears started to form. Her brother never forgot to celebrate her birthday together. Even he has some business overseas, he’ll try to make it happened. Jessica knew, after she made the decision to leave her family, she had to be ready with losing people that she loves. And now, not only her parents, her brother also started to leave her.

 

“I’ll try to come back tomorrow. Please, don’t cry,” yunho knew the fact that Jessica was crying, but a surprise should remain as surprise.

 

Jessica remained in her silence mode for a few moment. After that she replied. “arasso.. see you oppa. you better prepare a BIIIIIIIIIG and EXPENSIVEEEEE gift for me,” she said.

 

“arassooooo~ for my dearest sister, I’ll buy the biggest and the most expensive give ever. Satisfied?”

 

“hmmmmm…. See you oppa. saranghae~”

 

“nado saranghae”

 

Jessica placed the Nichkhun’s phone on the table beside the bed. What a day? Today was the most terrible birthday ever. Nichkhun ignored her and her brother couldn’t come. The only two persons that she had in her life now. She climbed down the bed and went straight to the kitchen. She found Ahjumma was cooking in the kitchen.

 

“ahjumma, where’s oppa? and what’s the occasion? You prepare extraordinary dishes today?” jessica said after observing the food on the table.

 

“Khun is inviting his friend today. So, he asked me to prepare some food. Oh, that’s for BBQ,” ahjumma said while smiling to Jessica. nichkhun told her that today was Jessica’s birthday and he wanted to throw a surprise party for her. so, Nichkhun asked ahjumma to act along.

 

“ooooo….” Jessica replied. “Ahjumma, it’s weird right? Oppa never invited any of his friends before. I even doubted if he ever has friend,” jessica said. Ahjumma laughed when she heard Jessica’s theory.

 

“he has friend Jessica. but very few. Khun’s life is like something that is mysterious. You should be honored because you’re now part of his life,” ahjumma said.

 

“who’s coming ahjumma? I mean, what’s the name of oppa’s friend? Is it OK for him because of my existence.”

 

“wooyoung is khun’s bestfriend. And I think he already know about your existence here,” ahjumma explained.

 

“can I help you?” Jessica offered some help. Ahjumma shook her head before replied. “no, you shouldn’t. I know it’s hard to stand in your condition. Go to your room and refresh yourself. Khun asked you to wear the dress that he bought from Japan,”

 

“wae? It’s not me who’s going to be celebrated,” Jessica puzzled with ahjumma’s instruction.

 

“we’re celebrating a guest here Jessica. and of course we should dress nicely. Look at me, me also wearing the blouse that Khun bought,” ahjumma said while showing off her beautiful pastel colored blouse on her body.

 

“arasso,” Jessica said.

 

“I’ll call you when he’s here,” Jessica nodded her head and left to her room.