Chapter 39

Don't Say Goodbye

Chapter 39

I was heading toward the boxing room when I saw a figure standing in front of the door.

I blinked my eyes suggestively. Was that Aaron?

I walked closer and a smile crept onto my face as I saw him.

Did he know how much I missed him?

“Aaron!” I shouted happily as I pulled him into a big and warm hug. “Do you know how much I miss you?”

I gently released from the hug and I looked up at him.

“Where have you been?” I asked.

He smiled faintly at me. His face was pale. He didn’t look well.

I scanned him from head to toe. He was wearing a white robe.

“Guigui…” His soft voice called and my heart skipped a beat.

He flashed a sweet smile at me.

“What’s with your outfit?” I chuckled softly.

He flashed another smile. The way he smiled just now scared me a bit.

“Are you going to say that you miss me?” I teased.

He shook his head with a faint smile on his face.

“I’m going away.” He finally said.

“Where are you going?” I asked.

He only gave a smile. My heart started pounding and I didn’t know why.

He took my hand and placed a pair of boxing gloves in my hand. “I want you to take and keep them.”

“What are they for?” I asked anxiously.

“They were my lucky charm. I always won in a match every time I wore them in the competition.” Aaron said calmly.

“And why are you giving them to me?”

He smiled. “I want you to always remember me whenever you see those gloves.”

My heart flinched. Why did I have a weird feeling?

“What do you mean?” I asked. I didn’t know why I was afraid somehow.

“Like I said, I’m going away.”

“But you’re coming back…” I stated merely. It was a statement and not a question. “And we’re going to see each other again.”

He shook his head with a bitter smile on his face.

“You’re kidding.” I said jokingly. “I know you’re coming back. You love me too much.”

“Gui… we won’t see each other again.” He shook his head. “I’m not coming back ever.”

I could feel the seriousness from his words.

“Yes, you are!” I shouted. I didn’t want to admit that he was leaving. He couldn’t leave me.

He shook his head again and shot a faint smile. For some reason, I hated the way he smiled just now.

“I’m here only to tell you goodbye.” He said.

“No…” I shook my head. “You can’t leave me.”

I suddenly felt like crying. Why was he telling me this?

I hadn’t seen him in weeks and he came back only to tell me that he was leaving. Why did he have to do this to me?

“I don’t have a choice.” He said softly.

I looked at his flawless feature and I felt my heart aching.

How could he not have a choice? There was always a choice.

“Can’t you stay… for me?” I asked and my tears were already at the edge of my eyes.

Please say yes, Aaron. Please!

“I can’t.” He breathed. “I have to leave. I’m sorry.”

“Why? Why can’t you stay?” I pulled myself together and refused to cry. I needed to know the reason. He loved me, didn’t he?

“Don’t you love me?” I asked, looking straight into his eyes.

“I do.” He answered. His pale face looked sad and he let out a sigh.

“Then why can’t you stay?” I shouted.

“I just can’t. I’m sorry.” He looked at me apologetically. My heart leaped with sadness.

Lie! Lie! Lie!

He did not respond.

Tears started dripping down my eyes. I could hardly control them from falling.

He raised his hand to dry my tears. “Please, don’t cry.”

My heart was aching. I felt like someone was twisting my heart. I couldn’t stand the pain.

I stared at him.

“Goodbye.” He flashed a faint smile at me.

He took a few steps, starting to leave me. No…

“Aaron…” I called softly.

He turned around. His expression was unreadable.

“Don’t leave me.” I cried. My face was soaked with tears.

He only stared.

“How can you do this to me?” I shouted and my eyes were blurred with tears. “Have you forgot our sweet memory at the beach?”

He shook his head. If I wasn’t blurred from my tears, I could swear I saw tears on his face.

“You promised me that you would always stay by my side. Why are you leaving now? WHY?” I cried helplessly.

My mind went fuzzy and I couldn’t think of anything. Why was Aaron doing this to me?

“Am I not good for you? Did I do something that upset you? Tell me Aaron. Tell me!”

He shook his head. “No. Please don’t be like this.” He begged.

“Then tell me! What did I do wrong?”

It killed me to see him leaving.

“I don’t want this!” I threw away the boxing gloves he gave me to the ground. “I want you. I want you to stay!”

He looked up to the sky and heaved a huge sigh.

He walked to me.

“Please take care of yourself when I’m not around.” He whispered softly into my ear.

It felt like déjà vu. He had said this before.

“Are you really going to leave me?” Tears fell down my face uncontrollably. It was impossible to stop crying now.

He didn’t respond and I knew the answer by looking into his eyes. I felt my heart tearing apart.

“Don’t cry.” He said softly. “You’re my angel. I love you and you’ll always be in my heart.”

He leaned closer and gently pressed his lips against mine.

I enjoyed the sweet taste of his lips.

For a second, I felt relaxed. But when I started thinking that he was leaving, my heart would leap with sadness.

Breaking the kiss, he took a breath. “Goodbye, Gui.”

He shot a smile at me. The cell in my body jiggled with fear as I saw him smile. It felt like it would be the last time I saw him.

Aaron started walking away, not caring about me who was standing here, crying.

“NO!” I shouted.

Aaron ignored me and he kept walking. It was as if he had forgotten about my existence here.

“AARON!” I yelled and he did not look back. He just kept walking.

He wasn’t coming back for me. He wasn’t going to stay for me.

“Come back! Aaron, come back!”

My heart was torn into pieces as I watched him walk.

I thought he loved me. I thought I was important to him that he wanted to protect me.

Where did all his promises go?

He left me here, crying. He didn’t care about me.

Why did my heart hurt so much?

I couldn’t bear the pain.

I felt weak. My body trembled.

I fell on my knees. I couldn’t stop myself from crying. “Come back, Aaron…”

He slowly drifted away. I couldn’t see him anymore.

Why Aaron… Why?

= = = = = = = =

T___T Why? Why, Aaron?

At first I thought the chapter was sad, but I re-read it again and I didn’t feel sad at all :(