Chapter 2

Immortal Seoul

Hyoyeon and Sunny ducked into the nearest uptown bar they could find. The heavy rain had intensified and was now a full blown thunderstorm. "It's really nasty out tonight." Sunny uttered as she and Hyoyeon found seats at the back of the bar.

"Yeah it is..." Hyoyeon removed her wet jacket and placed it on the back of her chair. "But look at all the people in here... it's really easy for someone to get lost in the rain." She grinned and took a look around the room.

"This is all just fun and games to you, huh?" Sunny picked up the menu and looked at the all too familiar items she would never order.

"Oh no I take the hunt very seriously and that guy over there looks pretty tasty." She gestured toward a tall dark haired man sitting with his friends on the other side of the bar.

Sunny chuckled as she took a look at the handsome man. "He is so your type. Tall, athletic, dark hair... but he has way too many friends. Someone would notice if he disappeared."

"You're probably right." Hyoyeon sighed. "Why do the cute ones always have friends or a girlfriend?" She slouched and placed her head into her hand. They sat there for a while in silence each of them scanning the room. "Maybe we can find a couple?!" Hyoyeon smiled and sat up excitedly but then she noticed the frown on Sunny's face. "Why are you frowning?"

Sunny rolled her eyes and raised one eyebrow. "You know why... whenever we get a couple you never want the girl and I always end up with her and you know honestly it's not fair, I like men too."

Hyoyeon leaned back in her chair and folded her arms. "Why are you always so difficult?"

"I'm the difficult one?" Sunny pointed to herself. "You're the one who refuses to try anything different." Sunny shook her head slowly. "...had the nerve to call me a snob." She whispered under her breath.

Hyoyeon sighed and ran her hand through her hair. "I wish Taeyeon was here." She said slyly with a slight grin playing on her lips. "She always prefers the girls." They both laughed and Sunny nodded her head in agreement. "You think Taeyeon's really mad at me? She's been acting a little weird lately."

"You noticed it too?" Sunny questioned with a worried expression on her face. "I thought it was just me... she has been a little distant lately and I don't think she's eaten anything in about a month. Then there's that whole 'I want to go home' nonsense."

"Why is that nonsense? I want to go home too." Hyoyeon only had memories of her human life in Korea. She had never lived there as an immortal and 50 years had passed but she still missed home. "It's funny because I don't remember how it all happened." Hyoyeon closed her eyes as she tried to remember the last day of her mortal life. "It was my boyfriend's birthday and I remember getting wasted with him. We would always fight when we got drunk and that night was no exception. We got into a huge argument and he hit me so I ran off... but I don't remember what happened after that." Sunny smiled at her sadly and then averted her eyes. "Did Taeyeon ever tell you what happened?" Hyoyeon questioned.

Sunny could hear the pleading in Hyoyeon's voice and she knew this question would arise someday. Taeyeon did not have to tell her what happened because she was there but it was not something she wanted to tell. "No, she never told me what happened." Sunny looked into Hyoyeon's eyes. "It's something Taeyeon will have to tell you herself... sorry."

*****

"I thought you were joking when you said a zombie walked into your office." The girl whispered into Seohyun's ear but Taeyeon could still hear her clearly.

"How do you think I felt when she told me she was a vampire?" Seohyun whispered back. "I almost called the cops."

"This is so awesome Seohyun." The girl sqealed softly. "You know this changes everything. She's like a legit vampire!" The girl ran in place like an excited child and gripped Seohyun's arm.

"I know..." Seohyun didn't share the same excitement her friend seemed to have. The existence of vampires definitely changed everything but for some reason Taeyeon scared her. As the thought crossed her mind Taeyeon looked at her briefly before turning her attention back to the papers on her desk.

"Did she try the blood substitute?" The girl inquired curiously and Seohyun nodded her head. "So it worked?!"

"Looks like it has... for now anyway." Seohyun eyed Taeyeon suspiciously and walked toward her desk to see what Taeyeon found so interesting. As she approached she could see Taeyeon was looking though the test notes she had made on her blood and ultraviolet light. They all had been failures.

"I ran a lot of tests on your blood but it's not really my field of expertise." Seohyun sat down in her chair and sighed. "That's why I bought in my friend Yoona. She's a Hematologist and the reason why you're not a statue this time around."

"Is that so..." Taeyeon leaned back in her chair and looked over to Yoona who had not moved from her place in the middle of the room. "Yoona" Taeyeon stood and walked over to her. "I'm Taeyeon."

"Nice to meet you." Yoona smiled. "It's nice to finally know your name." She laughed. "Seohyun has only referred to you as the zombie." Taeyeon smirked and looked at Seohyun who shrugged and continued to write in her notebook.

"You're a Hematologist?" Taeyeon questioned even though Seohyun had already stated as much.

"Um yes but I'm fairly new at it. I only graduated a year ago."

"Hmm..." Taeyeon nodded. "I heard you say my blood fell apart when you tested it in sunlight."

"Well yes... it's truly fascinating. It just dissolves." Yoona replied thoughtfully. "But I was thinking if I had a skin sample I could run better tests."

"Okay how much do you need?" Taeyeon walked over to a table and picked up a scalpel.

"Whatever you can spare?" Taeyeon nodded and then cut into her arm nonchalantly removing a rectangular piece of skin that regenerated just as fast as she cut it. "For you." Taeyeon held the skin out to Yoona who stood there staring at her with hanging open. "I'll just put it in this bag for you." She said since Yoona seemed to have forgotten how to function.

Taeyeon turned her attention back to Seohyun who was just as astonished. "Seohyun I will be moving back to Korea soon and I want you to come with me."

Seohyun blinked at her and frowned. "What?"

"I want you to move to Korea with me." Taeyeon repeated her statement.

Seohyun removed her glasses and rubbed her eyes. "I can't move to Korea. This is where I live... where I work."

"I want you to work for me." Taeyeon took a seat in front of Seohyun again and placed a piece of paper in front of her. "This is how much I'm willing to pay you and I will provide a place for you to stay."

Seohyun looked at the paper and furrowed her eyebrows. She exhaled and looked up at Taeyeon. "You can't be serious." Seohyun searched Taeyeon's eyes but she only stared back at her not blinking as usual.

"Does it look like I'm joking?" Taeyeon continued to stare unmoving. Yoona had found her way over to stand behind Seohyun. See looked down at the paper and gasped.

"I'll move to Korea with you!" Yoona said without any hesitation.

Taeyeon gave a crooked smile. "If you can convince Seohyun to come I will offer you the same."

Seohyun looked up at Yoona and then back to Taeyeon. "I don't know... it's a lot to consider."

"You don't have to say yes or no right now. It'll be at least a couple weeks before we leave. Just let me know before then." Taeyeon stood grabbed her jacket and headed for the door. "It was nice meeting you Yoona." She bowed slightly and disappeared out the door.