Chapter 5

Immortal Seoul

Tiffany was beyond nervous about her interview at the club. She had applied several times but was never called back. She knew the only reason the boss agreed to see her was because Yuri put in a good word for her and she didn't want to let her down. She didn't own any nice clothes so she had to borrow a suit from Bora. It was a little too tight and revealing but she didn't have anything better so it would have to do.

She arrived at the club a little before 8 and was let in by one of the employees. The club was eerily empty with only a few employees walking around getting ready for the club to open. As she was being lead to the boss’s office she saw Yuri preparing her bar so she waved. Yuri smiled and waved back then continued her work. She followed the employee into a back room and through several doors until they came to a stop. The employee turned, stepped aside and gestured toward the door. "You may enter." He smiled and bowed slightly. "Ms. Kwon is expecting you."

"Thank you" she smiled nervously and bowed as well before walking into the office. The room seemed more like an entertainment room than an office Tiffany thought as she entered. There was a pool table and bar in one corner. In the other was a huge TV with a large L shaped sofa and chairs. As she walked pass she noticed a woman sitting on the sofa that looked at her briefly but turned her attention back to the book she was reading.

"Tiffany" she jumped as she heard her name being called from behind. She turned to see a gorgeous woman sitting at a desk she hadn't seen in the back corner of the room. "Please have I seat" the woman smiled and gestured to the chair facing her desk. Tiffany hurried over and bowed 90 degrees before sitting down. She smiled and waited for the woman to start but she only gave her a frosty stare. Tiffany tried to hold the woman’s gaze but finally looked away when she couldn't take the intense eye contact anymore.

"Hwang Tiffany" the woman finally broke the awkward silence. I'm Kwon Jennifer but you may call me Ms. Kwon." Tiffany nodded and Jennifer continued. "Tiffany I see you have applied several times for different positions here." She shuffled through the papers in her hands and then placed them down on the desk. "To be honest with you Tiffany" she paused and placed her folded hands on the desk. "You're really not qualified to work here but Yuri assured me you were a good worker." She sighed and leaned back in her chair. "Yuri is one of my best bartenders so I'm going to trust her and hire you as her assistant. You will follow her, learn from her and do whatever she tells you to do understand?" Tiffany gave her an eye smile and nodded again. "Good, you will start tomorrow night. Please be here at 7:30 to start your first shift.

"Yes, thank you so much!" Tiffany said standing and bowing 90 degrees a few times. "I promise I won't let you down. I'll work hard and do my best."

"I'm sure you will." Jennifer laughed and crossed her arms. "There's one more thing, please sit."

"Um... yes" Tiffany took her seat and waited for Jennifer to go on.

"You were here last night with your friend?"

"Yes..." Tiffany answered not sure where this was going.

"Do you remember talking with a woman at the bar? She’s very pretty but short with words as well in height."

Of course she remembered Tiffany thought. They had talked for what seemed like hours but it was true she did most of the talking. "Kim Taeyeon..." she whispered recalling the name on the check.

"Yes, Kim Taeyeon. So you do remember. I would like you to befriend her for me." Jennifer continued to smile as if what she was asking was a normal everyday thing. Tiffany frowned and blinked a few times trying to understand what was being asked of her.

"I will pay you double of course if you agree." Jennifer noticed the hesitation on Tiffany's face. "I know you're wondering why I would request such a thing but it is not of your concern. I would like you to befriend her and report back to me once a week." Jennifer stood and walked to the front of her desk. "You don't have to agree, you already have the job but if you do agree please know that I will not be questioned and I don't appreciate being lied to."

Tiffany thought about it for a while. It was a weird request but honestly she would've done it for free. She had planned on finding the mysterious Taeyeon herself anyway. This way she could still do it, get paid on top of it and how would this woman know she was lying. She was a good actress with a pretty smile that had gotten her out of many bad situations.

"Okay, I'll do it."

"That's great, I knew I could count on you." Jennifer clapped her hands together. "Now that settles everything, you may leave."

"Thank you." Tiffany bowed again and then hurriedly left the room.

Jennifer sighed and ran her fingers through her hair. She sat down on the sofa and the TV. The screen was filled with different videos of the club. She watched for a moment as the employees readied themselves for the night. She saw Tiffany excitedly talking to Yuri who was smiling and nodding.

"Are you sure that was wise?" The woman who was still reading her book questioned.

"I don't know" Jennifer shrugged "but it's worth a shot. The girl is definitely Taeyeon’s type…  I do know it's not wise for Taeyeon and I to be seen together and..." Jennifer trailed off into silence.

"And" the woman repeated.

"And Sunny... I can't... I wouldn't know how to explain."

"Hmm..." the woman sighed. "I'm leaving" she closed the book and placed it on the table. "Tell your sister I miss her and I can't wait to see her again."

"I will..." Jennifer smiled but it was sad. The woman patted her back as she walked toward the door. "Boa" Jennifer called and the woman turned to face her.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry..." she looked down to avoid Boa's eyes.

"I know..." She smiled and opened the door. "See you around, Jessica."

*****

Taeyeon had decided to do a bit of home decorating. She had already ordered furniture but she really wanted some nice artwork for her walls. She knew the reason she came back was to find Jessica but she was happy to be back home and wanted to enjoy her time before things got too crazy. She was also happy Seohyun and Yoona had agreed to come and would be here in a couple days. As she walked through the streets of Seoul she noticed an art exhibit by a new up and coming artist. She took a look at the paintings in the window and then walked in. The room was dim with spotlights high lighting the paintings. There were a few people walking around chatting but the room was fairly empty. Taeyeon browsed the collection slowly until she found a piece she really liked of a girl sitting in a dark room looking out into a beautiful garden at sunrise. She stood there for a long time admiring the painting.

"This is one of my favorites." A pretty girl with short blonde hair stood next to Taeyeon smiling.

"Ah, yes. It's very nice." Taeyeon replied. "It kind of reminds me of myself.” She laughed.

"Oh" the girl looked at the painting again and frowned. "People always say the girl looks lonely and trapped in the dark room."

"Hmm" Taeyeon nodded. "Or maybe she just likes the view." She smiled and pointed to the girl in the painting. "If you look closely you can see that the girl is smiling, she's happy."

"Is that so?" The girl raised her brows questioningly.

"Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what the artist was implying."

"Are you an artist?" The girl asked now interested in who Taeyeon was.

"No" she laughed "but I used to be a collector and dealer some time ago."

"Oh..." the girl smiled and slightly bit her lower lip.

Taeyeon returned to looking at the painting. The girl stayed there as well and she noticed the girl kept stealing glances at her and shifting uncomfortably. Taeyeon stood there for a while longer wondering if the girl would go away but when it seemed the girl was determined to stay she turned to speak.

"You wouldn't happen to know who the dealer is. I think I want to buy this painting." Taeyeon asked hoping the girl would say yes and go find the dealer.

"You really want to buy it?" The girl replied with shock and excitement in her voice.

"Yes I'm sure." Taeyeon frowned at the girl.

"Oh my god!" The girl pulled her into a hug for an inappropriate amount of time. "Oh, okay... I'm sorry. I'll be right back!" The girl said running off to gods knows where. She returned shortly with an older man who smiled warmly when they entered.

"My daughter tells me you're interested in buying one of her painting?"

"Yes" Taeyeon smiled at them both. "I didn't realize you were the artist."

"I'm sorry." The girl bowed and smiled. "I'm Park Choa and I know I should have introduced myself earlier but I wanted to know how you truly felt about my painting." She bounced on her toes and bit her lip again. "I watched you look at this painting for a long time, longer than anyone else. But what surprised me was the fact you noticed the girl was smiling. Everyone always thinks she's sad when I clearly painted her smiling."

Taeyeon smiled. "How much do you want for it?"

The man looked at his daughter and then Taeyeon. "$500" He said confidently but Taeyeon could sense he was unsure of himself.

"Deal" she shook his hand and Choa hugged her again.

"I'm sorry" she apologized again. "But you are my first buyer and I didn't think I would sell anything tonight being that this is my first show." Choa squealed and grabbed Taeyeon's arm. "We have to take a picture in front of the painting."

After taking a few pictures and finalizing her payment Taeyeon left the gallery with a new painting and a business card from the artist, Park Choa.