Chapter 16

Immortal Seoul

A day had passed and Taeyeon hadn't heard a word from Choa. She tried calling her several times but her phone would only ring once and then go to voicemail. She knew Choa was rejecting her calls and it was starting to piss her off. 'People are so childish' she thought as she tried the number again only to be met with the same outcome.

Arriving at Choa's apartment she knocked on the door and waited for a while with no answer. She rang the doorbell a couple times but there was still nothing. She checked her phone it was 2:15am and she knew Choa was home because her car was parked outside. She dialed Choa's number and this time she could hear the phone ringing inside. It stopped after a few rings and she was directed to voicemail again. Her frustration was starting to build. She sighed while listening to Choa's voicemail message for what seemed like the millionth time. She ended the call and stared at the door wondering if it would be rude to just kick the door down. After some serious consideration she decided knocking would probably be best so she knocked again harder this time and finally she heard movement inside. She took a step back and waited for the door to open.

To her surprise a handsome half man opened the door and stood in the doorway. "What do you want?" The man questioned rubbing sleep from his eyes.

"I came to see Choa. Where is she?" Taeyeon tried to look around him into the apartment but he moved into her line of sight straightening his stance.

"Who are you?" He inquired crossing his arms and narrowing his eyes at her.

"I'm Taeyeon" she said eyeing the man standing in her way. "Who are you?"

His eye twitched at the sound of her name. He unfolded his arms, his hands clenched into fists. "She doesn't want to talk to you." He said stepping back into the apartment. "It's rude to show up at someone's house in the middle of the night and bang on their door." He scanned her from head to toe with a distasteful look on his face. "Stop calling my girlfriend or you'll be dealing with me next." He stepped back again and slammed the door in her face.

"He really is stupid" Taeyeon said under her breath and decided she would try again later.

The next evening she found herself standing in front of Choa's art studio looking through the same window she did the first night they met. The room looked quite different now it was filled with people browsing the art on the walls.

She watched from outside for a while until she saw Choa walk by chatting with a couple. As Choa passed their eyes met for a split second but her attention was soon taken back by the couple as they pointed to a painting. Taeyeon entered and walked around aimlessly waiting for the right time to approach. It was clear Choa was trying to avoid her having overly long conversations with the people in the room. Taeyeon finally saw an opening but even then she hesitated a little before walking up to the girl.

"Why are you here?" Choa asked when Taeyeon approached.

"I want to talk to you. I tried calling but you keep rejecting my calls." Taeyeon looked down at the floor and sighed "I even stopped by your place last night."

"I don't have anything to say to you." Choa turned to walk away.

"Then why didn't you block my number?" Taeyeon's question halted Choa in her tracks.

Choa sighed and turned slowly to face Taeyeon. "Is that what you're worried about? I can do better than just blocking your number." She pulled out her phone and found Taeyeon's name. She pressed delete and the message popped up 'are you sure you want to delete this number.' She turned the phone so Taeyeon could see and pressed yes. Taeyeon watched as her name and number disappeared. Her heart dropped... it felt like Choa had just erased her from her life. She couldn't remember the last time someone had hurt her so deeply. She blinked trying to fight back the tears that threatened to fall from her eyes. 'Why is this girl affecting me so much' she thought.

"You should leave." The sound of Choa's voice brought her mind back into focus.

Taeyeon grimaced at the pain she clearly felt in her heart. "Okay..." she started slowly "I'll leave but I want to tell you something first." She paused and looked around the room. "Can we step outside for a minute? I don't want to do it here."

Choa didn't move and only stared at her for a moment. Then she crossed her arms in front of her body defensively. "Fine" she finally uttered walking pass Taeyeon towards the door.

Outside Taeyeon didn't know how to begin. She shifted her feet nervously and bit her lower lip. She took a step forward wanting to be a little closer but Choa took a step back. The small action was enough to make Taeyeon's heart ache again.

"Didn't you have something to say?" Choa questioned impatiently as she waited for Taeyeon to start.

Taeyeon looked up from Choa's feet and met her eyes. 'What's wrong with me' she thought looking at the clearly annoyed girl standing in front of her but she couldn't speak. Taeyeon couldn't believe she was actually feeling fear right now. She was honestly afraid for some reason but she had to pull herself together.

"I don't have all night." Choa sighed. 
"I...um...I'm sorry I left you... alone." Taeyeon stumbled over her words, she still didn't know what to say. She waited for Choa to show some emotion any emotion but she only received a blank stare so she continued. "There's a reason I couldn't stay." Taeyeon noticed the slight rise in Choa's eyebrows and knew she had gotten the girl's attention. She cleared and ran her hand through her hair. There was no point in her beating around the bush any longer so she said it. "I'm a vampire." Taeyeon waited for a response but Choa continued to stare at her until she rolled her eyes and turned to walk away for the second time.

"Wait! Where are you going?"

"Inside... it's cold out here." Choa stated dryly.

"But I'm serious."

"And so am I." Choa said not bothering to turn back around.

Taeyeon grabbed Choa's shoulder turning the girl so they were facing each other.

"Don't touch me!" Choa spat taking a few steps away from her. The anger in Choa's voice made Taeyeon flinch. "I don't know what got into me that night okay. I'm not the type of girl to sleep around but I don't know... I thought maybe there was something more between us. I thought maybe we could be... it doesn't matter." Choa sighed and shook her head. "I don't understand why you feel the need to make up ridiculous lies. It was a stupid mistake and no Taeyeon I won't be sleeping with you again so save your lies for the next girl." She started to walk away again "you really hurt me..." the words were almost inaudible but Taeyeon heard them clearly.

Before Choa could take another step she felt strong arms wrap around her and she shot into the air. She screamed but Taeyeon's hand covered muffling the sound. She closed her eyes and continued to scream as air rushed pass her then her feet touched the ground. She opened her eyes and saw they were now on top of the building.

"Shh... I'm going to let you go but you have to stop screaming" Taeyeon whispered into her ear. Choa struggled against her for a moment but then nodded her head. Taeyeon released her and she stumbled away clutching her heart.

"Oh my god! What the Taeyeon?!" Choa screamed her heart pounded in her chest but for different reasons this time.

"I'm a vampire." Taeyeon repeated grinning at the bewildered girl.

"You could've just told me!" Choa said trying to regain her composure.

"I did..." Taeyeon laughed.

"This is ridiculous, unbelievable." Choa started pacing back and forth talking to herself. Taeyeon watched as the girl tried to make sense of what was going on. Suddenly Choa stopped and looked up at Taeyeon.

"Are you going to kill me now? Isn't it like some kind of vampire code where humans can't know about you or something? You're about to kill me aren't you?"

Taeyeon laughed and shook her head taking a step closer to Choa. "I'm not going to kill you. I would never hurt you." Taeyeon said sincerely.

"You're a liar." Choa took a step back. "You've already hurt me."

There it was again the unfamiliar pain in Taeyeon's heart. Why couldn't Choa see how much she cared for her. Taeyeon fixed her eyes on the girl who managed to bring back long forgotten emotions and feelings. "I don't know what else I can say to you but I am sorry. I know it doesn't change what happened or how you feel but at least now you know my reason. I didn't intend to hurt you... I'm sorry." Silence fell between them, only the sound of the wind could be heard.

"I'll leave you alone, if that's what you want." Taeyeon stated still watching the girl. "I just didn't want you to think I don't care... for you." Taeyeon took a step back this time only to be surprised when Choa took a step forward.

"Wait... you have to take me back down." Choa walked slowly towards Taeyeon as she looked down over the side of the building. When they were face to face Choa tried to control her nerves as she placed her arms over Taeyeon's shoulders. Taeyeon smiled hearing the familiar sound of Choa's increased heart rate, it had been missing the entire night. Taeyeon put her arms around Choa's waist pulling her against her body. Choa rolled her eyes but her body betrayed her as her temperature started to rise at the contact.

With a quick jump they were safely on the ground again. Choa immediately removed herself from Taeyeon's grip taking a few steps back and staring at her.

"Choa... Choa where are you?" The man Taeyeon recognized as Choa's father came around the corner.

"I'm here" Choa called never breaking eye contact with Taeyeon.

Taeyeon bowed to him as he approached. "Taeyeon!" He greeted her warmly "where have you been? We missed you around the pass couple of nights. You're a much better seller than I'll ever be."

"I um..." Taeyeon looked at Choa then back to her father. "I... um was..."

"Dad..." Choa broke in "she was busy."

"Hmm" he eyed the two them before continuing. "Well so are you. People are waiting inside to talk to you."

"Okay, I'll be right there." She smiled and gave him a small bow. He smiled back and patted her head gently.

"Don't take too long" he said before looking back to Taeyeon. "Don't forget my wife's dinner invitation. She's dying to meet you since we're always talking about you."

Taeyeon gave a small sad smile "I won't forget..." her eyes fell on Choa again.

"That's great" he smiled "and don't get too busy and forget about my daughter either, she needs you around here."

"Dad..." Choa gave him a look. "Please go back inside..." she sighed.

"I'm going..." he gave her a quick wave of his hand and walked back into the building.

Choa turned her attention back to Taeyeon their eyes locking on each other's again.

"I have to go" Choa took a few small careful steps backwards. Taeyeon nodded but didn't say anything. Choa hesitated before she turned to go inside. As she opened the door she realized she had something to say but Taeyeon was already gone when she turned back around. She sighed and looked out into the empty street. "I'm sorry too." She uttered into the quiet night and finally made her way back into the building.