Chapter 1

Immortal Seoul

"I want to leave." Taeyeon sat in the window seat of her shared apartment on the 21st floor overlooking the city. She always enjoyed the nights when it rained and this night there was a heavy downpour. Because of the rain the streets below were virtually empty with only a few cars passing by.

"But where would we go?" Hyoyeon lounged lazily on the couch slowly flipping through a magazine without much interest.

Sunny who was watching the news turned her attention to the girl sitting in the window who seemed to be lost in thought. "We've only been here for 10 years. Why would we leave so soon?" She questioned and waited for an answer.

Taeyeon continued to stare out of the window for a moment watching as each drop of rain hit the window. She closed her eyes and took in the sound each drop made as it hit the glass of the window, the metal of the building and even the concrete on the street. It was music to her ears. "I want to go home."

Hyoyeon close her magazine and sat up straight. She looked at Taeyeon then Sunny and finally back to Taeyeon. "I want to go too!"

"You can't be serious." Sunny turned off the TV and walked over to sit in front of Taeyeon. "You know we shouldn't... you remember what happened last time don't you?"

"Of course I remember." Taeyeon opened her eyes and looked directly into Sunny's making her look away. "Things are different now and times have changed." Taeyeon stood up and patted Sunny on the head gently. "Don't worry so much. I know you miss home too."

"But..." Sunny looked up at Taeyeon but quickly looked away as their eyes met again. Taeyeon looked down at the companion she'd had for many years and gave a slight sigh before turning to head towards the door. "I'm going to see Seohyun. I'll be back before dawn."

"Taeyeon ah." Hyoyeon call from her position still on the couch. She had picked up another magazine and was flipping though it lazily.

"Yes." Taeyeon answered as she stepped into her shoes and pulled on her jacket.

"Could you bring back food?" Hyoyeon stole a quick glance at Taeyeon over her magazine and looked down again.

"What do you mean you know we don't..." Taeyeon turned around slowly to face Hyoyeon who was pretending to be engrossed in her magazine. Sunny who was still sitting by the window could not hide the look of horror on her face. Taeyeon stepped out of her shoes and was in front of the girl in a flash. "Hyoyeon, you haven't been bringing food here have you?"

Hyoyeon chuckled nervously and shook her head still looking down at her magazine.

"Look at me!" Taeyeon asserted loudly making Hyoyeon jump and drop her magazine. Hyoyeon frowned and looked up slowly meeting Taeyeon's eyes. "You're not lying to me are you?" Taeyeon questioned folding her arms and shifting her weight to one leg.

Hyoyeon frowned again and rubbed the back of her neck. "Well there was this one time... maybe two but it wasn't a big deal. You guys would have never known if I didn't tell you."

Taeyeon knocked Hyoyeon hard on the head making the younger girl back away in pain. "Why would you do something so stupid?!” Taeyeon yelled. "What if someone saw you?" Taeyeon's phone buzzed indicating she received a message. She glared at Hyoyeon for another moment and then checked the message. "I have to go but we're not done here. We'll talk about this when I get back."

"So I guess that's a no?" Hyoyeon said sarcastically as she lay back on the couch and grabbed another magazine from the coffee table. Taeyeon picked up a shoe and threw it at her. "Ouch!" Hyoyeon rubbed the side of her head and picked up the shoe that had assaulted her. "Are you trying to kill me?"

"Go out and eat!" Taeyeon yelled and slammed the door behind her.

"She's so dramatic." Hyoyeon looked over to Sunny who was still sitting there in disbelief. "Don't stare at me like that." She looked down at the magazine and sighed. "I'm going to find something to eat." She threw the magazine on the coffee table and stood up.

"I'm coming with you." Sunny jumped up and locked her arm with Hyoyeon’s. "Should we go uptown? The food is always better up there."

Hyoyeon laughed to herself. "It's all the same really you're just a snob."

Sunny gasped and placed her hand over her heart. "I am not!" She protested. "You always like to go uptown too." She pointed out.

"True." Hyoyeon nodded her head and placed her hands into her pockets. "I guess the food is a bit richer up there."

*****

"How's it going?" Taeyeon asked as she walked into Seohyun lab and removed her jacket.

"Here, drink this." Seohyun held up a glass to Taeyeon with a red substance in it. She was busy looking down into her microscope but looked up when she noticed the glass had not moved from her hand. Taeyeon was standing there looking at the glass with a worried look on her face. Seohyun removed her glasses and stood up. "What's wrong?" She questioned raising her eyebrows and holding the glass out again.

"What's wrong..." Taeyeon looked down at the glass and took a step back. "The last time I drank something you gave me I couldn't move for three hours. I thought I was going to die."

"Stop being so dramatic..." Seohyun laughed and took a step forward. "You know you can't die."

"Oh yes I can and I swear you almost killed me." Taeyeon took another step back and crossed her arms.

Seohyun sighed and took a step forward. "It was a small miscalculation but I'm 99% sure I got it right this time." She gave a shy smile and held the glass back up.

"What about the 1%?" Taeyeon narrowed her eyes and raised one of her eyebrows.

"Look, you're the one that approached me remember and I've been working my off day and night trying to help but if you're going to act like this I can go home.  I enjoy sleep too I'll have you know." Seohyun turned around and headed back to her desk. She placed the glass on the table and put her glasses back on before looking down into her microscope again.

Taeyeon stood there for a moment and watched the girl as she worked. She did have a point. Taeyeon walked over to the table picked up the glass and lifted it to her nose. It wasn't a bad smell but she could tell something was different about it. She put the glass to her lips and noticed Seohyun look up at her with a smile. She closed her eyes and drank deeply from the cup. She opened her eyes slowly and stared at Seohyun not moving a muscle.

"Oh my god! Did I get it wrong again?" Seohyun ran up to Taeyeon and waved her hands in front of the girl who was now a statue. "Are you in pain? Can you hear me? Oh my God..." I was so sure I got it right this time." She went over to her desk and shuffled though her paperwork. "What did I miss...?" She questioned herself. She was busy looking through her notes but when she looked up Taeyeon was standing directly in front of her. She screamed at the top of her lungs and threw her papers into the air. "Why on earth..." Seohyun placed her hand down on her desk and clutched her heart. "Why do you always do that to me?"

Taeyeon laughed and shrugged her shoulders. "There's not a lot that amuses me these days."

"Well I'm glad you're amused but unlike you I can die of heart attack." Seohyun sat down in her seat and started to pick up her mess.

"Let me help." Taeyeon collected all the papers before Seohyun could pick up another piece and handed them to her. "I put them in order for you." Taeyeon said nonchalantly like what she had done was the most natural thing in the world.

"Thanks." Seohyun looked at the papers that were indeed in order.

"I would just bring you back if you died." Taeyeon picked up a bottle from the table and examined it.

"You will do no such thing! I don't want to be a zombie." Seohyun looked over to Taeyeon who was giving her a mischievous smile. "Are you trying to... to kill me?" Seohyun swallowed hard and clutched her heart again.

Taeyeon laughed again and shook her head. "It wouldn't be killing you. I would be giving you a new life... and I'm not a zombie. I think the word you're looking for is vampire."

"You're a walking corpse so I think you qualify as a zombie." Seohyun looked down into her microscope once again.

"Just because I'm not living doesn't mean I no longer have feelings." Taeyeon finished the contents of the glass and placed it down. "This one is pretty tasty... it's almost like the real thing." She placed a finger into the glass moving it along the side until her finger was covered in the red substance. She put her finger into and . "Hmm..." She nodded her head thoughtfully. "It's missing warmth." She thought aloud.

"Can a zombie use a microwave?" Seohyun pondered to herself biting the end of her pen. "Will the substance even hold up under the heat?" She stood up and walked over to a refrigerator in the back corner of the room. "I'll just have to test it." She poured the contents of a container into a paper cup and placed it in the microwave. She set the time for thirty seconds and waited for the beep. Removing the cup from the microwave she reached into her pocket and pulled out a thermometer placing the end into the liquid. She waited until it read 98 degrees. "Here drink..." she started but before she could finish Taeyeon had already taken the cup and drank it. She was standing in front of her nodding her head again.

"I think that's it. Can you give me some to take home?" Taeyeon questioned as she flashed to the refrigerator and opened it.

"No! Not yet!" Seohyun screamed running over and placing herself between Taeyeon and the refrigerator. "I'm still not sure of the side effects."

"What do you mean you're not sure of the side effects? Haven't you tested it?" Taeyeon folded her arms and took a step back.

"I thought that was what I was doing now." Seohyun said shyly taking a step to the side and going back to her desk. "We should wait a few hours and see how you're holding up. How do you feel now? Anything feel weird?"

"I feel great to be honest. My senses are once again sharp. I had to focus earlier on the rain but now I can hear it clearly without trying."

"I didn't know it was raining." Seohyun mumbled to herself. She was busy writing into her notebook. "Why were you having trouble with your senses earlier?"

"I haven't eaten anything in a month." Taeyeon responded sitting down in the chair facing Seohyun. "It dulls my senses making me feel more human but it also weakens me."

Seohyun looked up from her notebook with wide eyes. "I thought we agreed you wouldn't come here if you hadn't eaten? What if you went into some kind of bloodlust and killed me?"

"Bloodlust?" Taeyeon laughed. "Is that what you call it?" She crossed her legs and placed her hands into her lap. "I'm over 200 years old and I don't get hungry much anymore. The only downside to not eating is weakness but I quite enjoy feeling more human."

"Hmm... that's very interesting." Seohyun uttered biting the end of her glasses. Taeyeon was looking at her but she wasn't moving. She didn't blink or even breathe. She noticed Taeyeon would do that from time to time and she found it a little unnerving. "You should at least blink every once in a while if you want to feel human."

Taeyeon blinked once and turned her head towards the door. "Are you expecting company?"

"Seohyun this blood sample you gave me is amazing." A young girl in a white lab coat walked hurriedly into the room. "The regenerative properties are not of this world but when it comes to the sun it falls completely apart. It's really mind boggling." Seohyun walked toward the girl meeting her halfway. They were looking over the papers the girl had in her hands and talking to one another. Taeyeon watched them silently not wanting to intrude upon their conversation.

The young girl pointed in Taeyeon's direction and let out a loud scream. She stared for a moment but when Taeyeon didn't move she lowered her arm. "Why do you have a mannequin in your chair?" The girl pushed Seohyun playfully. "I thought it was a person there for a second... god it scared me."

"It's a new model." Seohyun said with a straight face. "You should take a closer look." The girl hesitated and looked between Seohyun and what she assumed was a mannequin. After a moment she walked over for a closer look.

"Wow... it's truly amazing." She uttered while walking around Taeyeon. "The skin is a little too perfect though." She touched Taeyeon's face but pulled her hand back quickly. "Why is it so cold?" She leaned forward and looked into Taeyeon's eyes. "They're so life like..." Taeyeon blinked and the girl screamed again and ran to stand behind Seohyun clutching her arm. "That thing is alive! It blinked at me!" She said pointing at Taeyeon.

Seohyun laughed and tried to comfort her friend. "She's the person I was telling you about."

"You mean the zombie?" The girl questioned as she stared at Taeyeon who was now looking through some of Seohyun's papers.

"Yes, well she's a vampire."