2

Tales of a Consulting Firm

Being Haneul wasn’t easy especially being the sane one in a very dysfunctional group which ran the office. Though Hakyeon was the official ‘mother’ she often felt like she mothered all these men who more often than not behaved like children. That included the boss, Taekwoon, not that she’d actually let him know.

 Sighing, she eyed Minah who fumbled over the work given to her but steadily worked on. Minah wasn’t cut out for tech work at all, math boggled the girl’s brain and somehow Haneul had a feeling Hyuk was simply being mean by throwing Minah in the middle of the ocean with no life jacket even after reading her resume. But with the basics cleared, she managed to get something done.

“Haneul, how’s the design coming along?” Hongbin’s voice piped over the separator as she watched some of the female employees halt all their work to gape. Her peripheral vision afforded her a view of Minah noticing the people around her and hiding a laugh before turning back to her computer. Haneul didn’t know whether to join her laughter or notd approvingly. She turned to the man towering over the partition with a shrug.

“I can only digitize and put things up if Jaehwan sends it to me.”

Hongbin sighed, pulling his phone out and tapping at the screen “I have a meeting with a couple of clients now, do you think you can ask Jaehwan to send you the designs? He’ll listen to you.” He grinned when Haneul rolled her eyes knowing well enough that Haneul would definitely go bother Jaehwan for the designs, but he wasn’t so sure she would return with them. He heard a shift in the next cubicle, causing him to turn and watch the new employee who would be working in his department sometime soon get up and head over to the break room. Turning back to Haneul, he gave her a two finger salute.

“I’ll leave it to you, oh great one.” He said, before heading towards the meeting room. Haneul’s head landed on her table causing all the dazed employees around her to snap out of their reverie.

“One day I will hang that piece of abstract artwork outside the damn office.” She grumbled, pushing her chair back and standing up. She noticed Jaehwan standing up and heading for the copier room as she cracked her knuckles, mentally preparing herself for the possible onslaught of cute from the man which would weaken her resolve greatly. Breathing deeply, she made her way towards the copier room. Pausing only when Taekwoon’s office door flew open and the tall slim man stepped out. His eyes fell on her as he nodded in greeting heading hurriedly towards the break room behind her. Haneul didn’t mind, Taekwoon was a bit of an oddball, but he got work done, and his intimidating aura got everyone else to work. But right now Haneul was on a mission.

She entered the copier room, resolute as she caught sight of Jaehwan very carefully placing his papers on the scanner.

“Lee Jaehwan!”

Jaehwan jolted when he noticed Haneul standing by the door with a hand on her hip as he blinked. What on earth could have happened? Another glance at her face and his own paled.

“Oh dear.” He mumbled.

“Damn right oh dear,” Haneul rolled her eyes “Jaehwan, I really need those designs or Hongbin won’t stop hounding me. You know how it is when he comes near my cubicle.” She groaned as she stepped in and stood beside the man, leaning against the copier.

“Your team getting distracted by Hongbin’s good looks?” Jaehwan chuckled “the only time you get distracted is when I charm you with mine.” He winked as she whacked his shoulder.

“Shut up and send me the damn designs.”

A devilish smile spread across Jaehwan’s lips.

“I need incentive.”

“I will whack you if you don’t?” Haneul shot him a look.

“You can, whack me with your lips.” Jaehwan grinned, pointing at his lips as Haneul gaped, aghast.

“What? No!”

“Do you want the designs?” he pouted, edging closer to her grinning as she fumbled around.

“Damn it Jaehwan.”

“Pweeese?”

Jaehwan internally whooped when he felt Haneul’s lips brush against the side of his face before she growled.

“Send me the damn designs before I bite your head off.”

“Aye aye captain!” Jaehwan sang as Haneul stormed out of the room with a red face.

Little did Haneul expect to bump right into Wonshik’s chest when she stormed out of the copier room. His hands landed on her shoulders to stabilize her as she apologized and his eyes raked over her face. Haneul froze when his forehead met hers.

“Your face is red, are you having a fever?”

Shifting away quickly, she stuttered “What? N-no! I’m fine!”

Wonshik chuckled and patted her head “Take care either way, alright?” he said, before humming and heading into the meeting room Hongbin had disappeared into. Haneul sighed before heading towards her cubicle noticing Minah returning with a red face herself.

“What’s wrong?” she asked as Minah fell in step with her.

“The men here are too damn tall.”

Haneul quirked her eyebrow at the new employee, noticing Taekwoon slowly lumbering back into his office. His eyes focused on the two of them before shutting the door behind him. She turned back to Minah who thumbed at the book in her hand.

“You’re going to have to explain.” Haneul said, as they reached their cubicles and Haneul pulled her chair towards Minah’s not forgetting to note the designs which were now safely in her inbox. She sighed, the prices she had to pay to get work done. Minah had set the novel in her hand on the desk next to a picture of a dog pinned onto the board.

“Did Taekwoon give you a hard time?” Haneul started off, knowing Taekwoon’s terrible social skills. She watched as Minah’s eyes widen as she shook her head wildly.

“Oh no, not at all. In fact, he kind of helped me out.” She said, a slight smile perking her lips up. Haneul gaped, puzzled as Minah related the incident.

“Well, I was sitting there and reading while drinking my coffee and he came in and the machine kind of stopped working. Not actually malfunctioning, but he was quite stressed out so he didn’t notice the machine had run out of beans. So I went over to pour the beans in, except the slot was way too high and yeah…”

“So? Did he yell at you?” Haneul, prayed that he hadn’t, angry Taekwoon was not something she wanted Minah to deal with just yet.

“No, he took the bag from me and poured the beans in himself since he was tall enough to reach the slot,” Minah replied, looking down at her fingertips which had brushed against his ridiculously soft ones and remembering the soft voice that had thanked her “ he stares a lot though.”

Their conversation was cut short with Hyuk roaring from his cubicle.

“MONSTER! Why did you mess with my secret folder!?” Haneul chuckled, leaning back in her seat as Minah blinked while Hyuk fumed over the changing in the content in his 'secret' folder into kittens and puppies.

Being Haneul was not easy, but being head of tech sure was fun.

 


Sorry for the late update! Thank you for reading!

 

<3