4

Tales of a Consulting Firm

"You want me to set up the AV system?" Minah repeated as Taekwoon plugged in his pen drive to the laptop. He took another look at her and simply nodded.

"Yes, and that will be all. You can stay through the meeting to see how it goes."

"Right." Minah's response was blank as she reached for the HDMI cable securing it to the laptop and fixing the aux cable. Taekwoon felt her brush past him as she asked him for permission to do a sound test to which he nodded. Moving around busily, she checked the audio and video before turning back to him and announcing that she was done.

"Is there anything else I can help you with?" She asked and bowed to leave when he said no.

"Could you sit in on the meeting? In case there are technical difficulties?" His voice was soft as she found herself taking a seat yet again.

***

"He made me sit through a pointless meeting just to stare at me! He pretty much booked me the whole day to set up the AV for a meeting and then to look at me like I had offended him when I asked to leave when I was done!" Minah cribbed, causing Haneul to blink in wonder.

"What was the meeting about?" She pried as Minah leaned back on her seat and sighed.

"Screening a completed advertisement and watching the boss and company being praised to the skies. I admit the man is quite smart though." She said thoughtfully.

Haneul frowned, there was no way Taekwoon would call someone to do something he could do himself very easily. Had Silent and Violent noticed Duckling? Her thoughts were interrupted by Jaehwan's head popping up over the cubicle with a 'pst'. Minah looked up as Jaehwan grinned at her. He turned to Haneul and winked

"I think it's time." He said as Haneul gaped. No one, had been initiated this soon.

"Really? You're initiating Duckling?" She hissed as Minah looked at the two of them confused.

"Why am I Duckling and what am I being initiated to?" She deadpanned as Jaehwan turned towards Minah dramatically.

"We're going to show you a world."

"A special world." Haneul continued.

"The world of Business Cat." Hyuk popped in from behind Minah, startling her as he leaned against the cubicle separator, grinning.

“Business Cat?” she blinked as Hyuk leaned over her to reach for the mouse of her computer to open the web browser. She noticed that Hakyeon had slowly sidled his way in and stood between an eager Jaehwan and an amused Haneul. When the page opened Minah held back a laugh.

“What on earth?!” she giggled as Hyuk turned to her with a devilish grin.

“Quite accurate isn’t it?” Hakyeon was rather proud as Minah scrolled through, holding back giggles as she read through the comic strips with a cat in a suit conducting business which reminded her very strongly of a certain someone she had just been cribbing about.

“I’m assuming you guys created this?” she asked, halting the scrolling and looking around at the proud faces of the founders of the “Business Cat” comic strip.

“Hakyeonie and I come up with ideas, Jaehwanie draws them, and Monster here puts them up on digital media.” Hyuk said, leaning against the flimsy cubicle separator “and we’d like you to help in translating these into English.”

“Who me?” Minah blinked, as the group around her nodded. That was when another voice joined the crowd of people around Minah’s cubicle.

“Are we bullying the new employee?” Taekwoon’s voice was soft as Hyuk made a dash for Minah’s computer to shut the tab only effectively tripping planting his face on her keyboard and opening multiple other tabs instead while the rest of him lay partially across her knee and the floor. Taekwoon’s eyes narrowed as Minah helped Hyuk up and the group around him shook their heads.

“Not at all, in fact we were just inviting her to the noraebang party tonight since she did help me during the meeting.” Jaehwan exclaimed as Taekwoon looked at the rest of the group suspiciously.

“Right.”

“Either way, you’re coming today. You can’t do anything about it,” Jaehwan grinned as Hakyeon nodded in agreement. Taekwoon grumbled before heading back into the office. Jaehwan turned back to Minah “you’re coming too!” he declared while Hakyeon scribbled the details of the location of the noraebang on a piece of paper and the group around her dispersed as quickly as it had gotten together. Minah blinked, staring at the scrap of paper in her hand as she sighed.

Somehow that night she found herself cramped up in a restaurant with hald her co-workers giving her looks from their seats as a very uncomfortable looking Taekwoon sat across her. Sanghyuk stretched out beside her as Haneul and Jaehwan squabbled over the menu. Hongbin and Hakyeon had gone to get the drinks and Wonshik sat beside Taekwoon, browsing through his mobile phone.

“So Minah, you grew up in Seoul?” Hyuk asked from his seat as she turned to face him and nodded.

“Spent some part of my childhood in Daejeon though.” She added as Hyuk sat up straight.

“Really? I’m from Daejeon.” He grinned as she smiled back feeling like she was being watched. She noticed the lady sitting diagonally across the table shooting her a look as Hongbin squeezed in beside her. Minah mentally groaned as multiple heads turned in her direction, she chose to turn towards Hyuk instead who berated her with questions about where she stayed in Daegu and which school she had gone to.

Haneul had successfully managed to grab the menu from Jaehwan as she noticed the man who worked in Wonshik’s department lean over and whisper to the man sitting next to him while not so subtly pointing at the two of them. Hakyeon walked by and knocked the two of them on the head causing her to burst into laughter.

Wonshik’s lips quirked up when her heard the conversation beside him.

“So do you think that they’re hooking up?”

“What do you mean think? Of course they are, they’re wearing matching colours.”

Wonshik shook his head, matching colours meant people were hooking up these days apparently. He eyed Taekwoon who was looking at the conversation between Hyuk and the new Duckling who now seemed to be chattering animatedly as Hongbin grinned at him.

Hongbin on the other hand drowned out the conversation beside him and tried to ignore the hungry looks at him from random spots at the table as the waiter arrived to take their orders. Hongbin wanted to focus mainly on the food, but when the new employee turned towards him with a smile and asked him how his meeting went, he replied without hesitance.

“Penrock is one of our best clients, not very fussy, I heard what you did during the Intimately meeting, that was quite daring.” He laughed as she looked down.

“I don’t know what I was thinking, but they were infuriating.”

“I can imagine.”

The drinks arrived and there was a table wide toast led by Taekwoon who, though he didn’t fumble through it, kept it short and waited for the food to arrive instead and when it did, he ate with a ferocity which had Minah fascinated.

“The man is a beast when it comes to food.” Hyuk mumbled as Minah chuckled. As the drinks flowed, the table got louder and raucous. The office dinner was officially closed as many stumbled out of the restaurant in inebriated states. Haneul noticed the man who had been chatting and pointing walking sloppily and nearly landing on Minah who stood awkwardly trying to hold him off. Shrugging Jaehwan off, she headed over to help only to see Taekwoon reaching over to grab Minah’s wrist and tugging her away from the man and sending the man off to his cab.

Her eyes glinted as Taekwoon lead a confused Minah towards the group and said.

“Noraebang time I suppose?”

The night was cold, but the location wasn’t too far as Minah walked over to Haneul.

“Everything okay?”

“Yeah, he just needed to steady himself.” Minah replied as they followed an excited Jaehwan through the doors and into the pre-booked room which flashy lights. She found herself sitting next at the edge of the seat as Hyuk plopped down beside her watching as Jaehwan and Hakyeon squabbled over the song-list. Hanuel, Wonshik, and Hongbin disappeared and returned laughing with drinks as Taekwoon looked at them, cringing before taking the seat across Minah yet again. Hyuk sighed as he looked at Minah, leaning over to whisper into her ear.

“Wait till you see Silent drunk, it’ll be quite entertaining.”

Minah chuckled looking at Hyuk’s devious smile as they turned back to Jaehwan who had finally selected a song and a drink and began belting out the notes completely off tune. Taekwoon looked at him in disgust as the rest of the group cracked up and Hongbin rolled off the seat, knocking into the table between the seats.

Minah cringed when Jaehwan hit a particularly awful note and noticed Haneul fiddling with the remote as an all too familiar song boomed through the speakers.

“Bubble Pop!”

Jaehwan looked mildly confused, but noticing Taekwoon’s look of disgust, he began his singing yet again, the wonderful voice going completely off tune as Hongbin rolled on the ground with tears flowing down his cheeks as Hakyeon leaped over him to share the microphone with Jaehwan. Taekwoon took a deep sip from his glass of whiskey as he watched Hyuk and Minah poring over the song list and giggling while Wonshik sidled towards Haneul and rested his chin on her shoulder.Hongbin rose from the ground, took a sip from his drink before cracking up yet again at Hakyeon and Jaehwan dancing to the song.

There was silence as Wonshik stumbled over Hongbin to reach for the microphone as Minah vaguely recognized the song playing as Wonshik took a deep breath.

“Hey isn’t the version of Eyes, Nose, Lips Tablo and Taeyang collaborated on?”

Wonshik slipped a note at Taeyang’s part and Minah watched Taekwoon physically shudder before standing up and indicating to Wonshik for the microphone. Minah’s eyes widened as smooth notes flowed from his lips.

“Yeah, he sings well.” Hyuk commented, handing Minah a drink before sipping from his own.

The song suddenly switched to something peppy.

“What the…?” Minah blinked as Hyuk chuckled, fiddling with the remote in his hand as Taekwoon fumbled around to lyrics of Gee and Wonshik shrieked along with him, avoiding the flailing hand of Taekwoon trying to shove him away from the microphone. Minah giggled as Hongbin made dying whale noises and Hakyeon got on the table to perform the whole dance while Jaehwan tipsily downed another drink and turned to Haneul and made kissy faces at her. Wonshik handed Taekwoon another drink as the latter downed it as Hyuk stood up, straightening his collar before punching in a few digits and picking up the microphone.

“Are you really singing the Pokemon theme?” Hongbin laughed as he stood up to join him. The two seemed to be the only ones who were the closest to sober as Jaehwan handed Minah another drink which she took slow sips of, she cringed as she never was one for drinking.

Haneul finally strutted (or attempted to) to the screen as Hakyeon complained loudly about Taekwoon crushing him when it was actually Jaehwan sitting on him. Managing to garble her way through 2NE1’s I Am the Best, she dragged over Minah who stumbled on the table and cursed before handing the microphone to her.

“I’ll pick a song for you, and then I dare you to sit on Taekwoon’s lap.” Minah looked horrified for a second “or else you have to drink another shot.” Haneul nodded as Minah looked at her, determined (or as determined as she could look).

“Challenge accepted. Except I’m horribly sleepy.”

“Awww, you’re the sleepy drunk!” Haneul pinched her cheek as Minah shot her a look. Haneul stumbled back to her seat where Wonshik promptly placed his head on her lap and she petted his hair. Jaehwan and Hakyeon were tangled up and Taekwoon was looking at Minah with curious eyes. Hongbin and Hyuk looked at the whole mess of people with devilish grins.

Sistar’s Give it to Me appeared on the screen as Minah squinted at it, running her fingers through her hair as it fell out of her now messy bun.  Minah wasn’t sure if she sang in tune or not, she just followed along with the lyrics, swinging along with the music and stumbling over to Taekwoon as the song ended and landing on his lap. His arms steadied her as she placed herself on his lap mumbling about how it was a dare and promptly falling asleep on his shoulder. Taekwoon followed soon after, being equally inebriated.

So when the whole lot were woken up by Hyuk and Hongbin to clear up, everyone stumbled all over the place. Wonshik was now a lot more sober, held Haneul up and led her out to their taxi as Hyuk reached over to Minah who still looked rather sleepy.

“We called for taxis, you think you’ll be alright?” Minah nodded as Hakyeon stumbled over to her.

“Yo, we live in the same area, so we’ll go in the taxi together.”

“Sounds good.” Minah mumbled as Taekwoon struggled to stand up, still looking at Hyuk holding Minah up as Hyuk shot him a grin.

“I’ll walk you two out. Hongbin, you can handle Taekwoon and Jaehwan best.” Hongbin gave him a thumbs up as Minah surveyed the room which held multiple glasses and bottles and she let herself be led away.

Well that was eventful.


We need therapy la la la la therapy~

Additionally, we don'town Business Cat but it is an actual thing so you can check it out!