19

Tales of a Consulting Firm

This is chapter two of our Valentine's Day special. Please read the previous chapter if you haven't already!


Haneul just really needed a drink. After this day of constant pestering from her two friends using various means and the annoying meeting, she really wanted to down an entire bottle of wine and try and get some peace and quiet. Wonshik had promised her drinks. But she didn't expect to see Jaehwan and Wonshik waiting for her at the end of the day with giant grins on their faces as Jaehwan declared.

“We're going bar hopping!”

Hanuel’s face dropped as the two looped their arms around hers as Sanghyuk and Hongbin walked into the reception looking mutinous as Hakyeon followed with a grin on his face.

“We’re going for a movie!” he declared as Haneul shot Sanghyuk and Hongbin a look as the two rolled their eyes. Minah entered the room and sat down on the couch reserved for visitors.

“I heard you guys were going for a movie.” she said, looking up at Sanghyuk and Hongbin.

“I asked you to come with me, but you said nooo.” Sanghyuk stuck his tongue out at her.

“I said I didn’t want to third wheel on your date with your beloved Binnie.”

“I am not his beloved!” Hongbin cringed.

“But I see you have your third wheel in Hakyeon.” Minah ended as Hakyeon shot her a peace sign.

“It was Sunbae Notice Me. The newest comedy in the theatres, I couldn’t miss it.” he shrugged before turning to Wonshik, Jaehwan, and Haneul.

“I heard you guys are going bar hopping?”

“I didn’t want to.” Haneul sulked.

“You’ll have fun. We promise.” Wonshik guaranteed as Jaehwan nodded in agreement as they turned to Minah.

“Wanna join us?”

“Nah, not in the mood for alcohol, I have plans, don’t worry!” she grinned.

“Okay!” Jaehwan said before tugging his companions along as Hakyeon turned to Minah.

“Well, we’ll see you soon. Or we’ll be late for the movie.” he said as Minah smiled and waved to the group. It was then that Taekwoon entered the lounge and cleared his throat, attracting Minah’s attention.

“Are you ready?”

“Sure am!”

---

The first bar Haneul set foot in with Wonshik and Jaehwan was lit up in pink and had so many Valentine related things cluttered around that it physically made her wince. But when her drink was handed to her by the bartender, she didn’t mind it as much.

Maybe the place would grow on her.

Apparently alcohol and Valentine’s Day decor only got her even more grumpy as Wonshik and Jaehwan swiftly escorted her out of the bar before she punched the next heart shaped thing in her vision.

“Hearts are so mainstream.” she nodded to no one in particular.

“But hearts are cute!” Jaehwan said. He made finger hearts for her, only to get a glare in return. “Accept our hearts Haneul!” Jaehwan sang making one with his arm over his head and the second half with Wonshik’s arm.

“Are you both already drunk?” she asked, rolling her eyes.

“This one has a really long line” Wonshik noted. They had reached the second venue only to find a long line of people waiting to get in.

“We could go to the club on 27th Street” he suggested. Haneul took a moment to debate the idea. If they did decide to go, they would have to walk another two miles. But the place would be less crowded and they could get in easily. She whined a little, already starting to tire from the long day when two girls walked up to Jaehwan.

“Hi there. Are you guys looking for a partner?” one of them asked. Jaehwan and Wonshik looked at each other, unsure of what the girls wanted. Haneul scowled at being ignored when she was right next to the two men.

“They are taken no thank you” she exclaimed, squeezing in between the two men and linking her arms with them. The girl who had talked gave her a look before walking away.

“I have no idea what just happened” Jaehwan confessed.

“They were looking for partners to get the discounted couple entry. I keep forgetting that both of you are handsome and hence easy targets” Haneul said with a frown. She looked at the two and sighed because both of them were smiling at being called handsome.

“So we are handsome?” Wonshik prompted leaning in to .

“I stand corrected. You both are just idiots” Haneul huffed before unlinking her arms and walking forward.

Jaehwan and Wonshik hurried after her to catch up. They bumped into her as she suddenly stopped in the middle of the road. “Do you want to go to a club or do you want to get drunk?” Haneul asked them in all seriousness. “Because if we go to a club, both of you will just be hit on by random women. And I know the perfect place to go get drunk without being hit on” she explained.

“You don't have to worry about us! Our hearts belong to you” Jaehwan sang. Haneul resisted the urge to hit him and looked to Wonshik who seemed to be deep in thought. “I wanted to destress with some music too. But without worrying about someone constantly hitting on you” he told her. Haneul blushed a little but coughed to hide it.

“Let's just get loads of beer and soju and head over to my place. We can plug our phones in for music and if we shift the couch we can get enough space for a mini dance floor” she decided.

“Taking not one, but two men home with you? What ever would your mother say?” Jaehwan fake gasped.

“You can stay here then” Haneul said sarcastically.

“I was just kidding” he said sheepishly while Wonshik grinned.

“So cute” he thought out loud.

“I know right?” Jaehwan asked proudly.

“Why am I seriously here?” Haneul asked no one in particular.

And so Haneul ended up slamming three shot glasses down on the coffee table. Wonshik had set up the playlist for the evening and the fried chicken had been ordered to go along with the beer and soju. The three of them had slipped into something comfortable for the night. Haneul tried to avoid looking at how the undershirts they were wearing accentuated their biceps (the memory of Wonshik’s bare chest was still fresh in her mind no thank you very much) and the boys preened a little, showing off at every chance they got.

“Do you want us to move the couch?”

“How about we move the table??”

“We can lift these books. Easy job”

“Do you want us to lift you up so you can reach those glasses?”

Haneul shook her head. At one point, Jaehwan had decided to drink water and she could swear she had been fixated at the way his adam’s apple bobbed. She clearly must have been losing her mind. “Let's start with the beer! And there is so much chicken! Fried chicken!” she exclaimed joyfully, thankful that eating would provide a distraction. She wasn't lying about loving fried chicken but now it was serving as yummy food as well as a way to save her sanity and she had never been gladder for its existence.

“So clumsy” Jaehwan teased before leaning forward and wiping away the sauce on the side of her lips.

“Here. Let me tie your hair for you” Wonshik offered. He picked up a hair tie from the coffee table and made a haphazard bun of her hair before tying it up. Haneul smiled sheepishly before picking up her glass of beer and drinking it as if it was water.

“You should slow down” Wonshik said while Jaehwan exclaimed “Drinking competition! Whoo!”

Perhaps some things are better done in moderation - is a lesson the three would learn the morning after.

“I don't think that people appreciate fried chicken enough you know?” Haneul slurred a little. She had been buzzed for quite a while now. How many shots had they done? She had lost count after the third bottle of soju had been opened. “People don't appreciate potatoes either” she continued while Jaehwan nodded in full agreement and Wonshik was lost in thought. “Have you thought about how tasty it is but how people always discriminate against it? Ugly as a potato. Don't be a couch potato? Maybe I want to be a potato you know? Why would you judge such a vegetable? It's infinitely better than being broccoli??” she pointed out, very confused.

“Stop potato discrimination 2k17!” Jaehwan yelled holding up another shot glass. The three of them cheered and took another shot before putting the glass down. Haneul turned to Wonshik who had been awfully quiet throughout the entire endeavour.

“Why are you thinking and not drinking?” she asked doing aegyo.

“I have been thinking about something very serious” he told her in a low whisper. Jaehwan scooted in to listen as well, effectively sandwiching Haneul in the middle.

“Do lobsters think fishes are flying?” Wonshik asked. He looked at Jaehwan and Haneul who looked at each other before sighing and falling against the couch.

“That's a very good question” Jaehwan noted. Haneul agreed, scrambling for a post it note and a marker to write the word ‘intelligent’ on it and stick it to Wonshik’s forehead. Except it was suddenly very hard so she just drew a heart and stuck it on his stomach.

“I want one too!” Jaehwan pouted.

“Sorry! Sorry” Haneul apologised before sticking one on his bicep. “Sorry” she said imitating a foreign accent before gasping and stumbling to stand up. “Sorry sorry sorry” she started to sing while trying to do the dance. But she lost her footing and ended up falling back on the couch.

“I miss Super Junior” she said with a sob. Tears started to flow soon as well with both Jaehwan and Wonshik trying to calm her down. “

It's okay! They will be back soon!” Wonshik consoled her.

“Till then you have us!” Jaehwan told her.

“Yeah! You'll always have us” Wonshik agreed. Haneul wiped her tears away to look at the two men.

“I really loved them” she said with a sniff.

“You can love us! You can totally love us!” Jaehwan exclaimed trying to cheer her up.

“Yeah! Just look at Jaehwan. He's so cute! He'll always make you smile!” Wonshik said.

“And Wonshik is so cool! And witty too!” Jaehwan added.

“Jaehwan makes everyone laugh. He's the life of any party” Wonshik said with a sigh.

“But have you seen Wonshik’s dj-ing skills? He literally brings the party to life!” Jaehwan countered.

“But you have a lovely voice! You can just make music as you sing! You beatbox too!” Wonshik said.

“But you rap really well and you have a unique style!” Jaehwan praised.

“I try” Wonshik said modestly.

“You succeed!” Jaehwan declared. The two men smiled at each other, leaning in while ignoring Haneul who had tears in her eyes.

“You both are perfect for each other” she said with more sniffs. “I won't need anyone as long as I have you!” Wonshik declared. “Wonshik!” Jaehwan exclaimed as he tried to hug him, forgetting Haneul in the middle who was crying tears of joy. “Just get married already” she said with a lot of sincere joy (for a drunk person).

“We don't have rings” Wonshik lamented.

“I can draw a ring! What's the point of being an artist if you can't draw a ring for your man?” Jaehwan exclaimed.

“Yeah! Where there is a marker there is a way!” Haneul agreed digging a marker out of nowhere. “I have a highlighter too! For shading” Wonshik said holding a yellow highlighter up.

“Brilliant! This is why I love you!” Jaehwan said.

“I have a phone! We can record your vows!” Haneul said.

The three of them stood up. Jaehwan made his way to Wonshik and held him as steady as he could as Haneul found her phone and started to record.

“I do!” Jaehwan yelled skipping ceremony.

“I do too!” Wonshik declared before handing Jaehwan the marker and highlighter so that he could draw the rings.

“And now I declare you both happily married” Haneul cheered when the rings were complete. “You may kiss!” she said happily.

“Noooo. I feel shy” Wonshik said as Jaehwan made suggestive eyebrows at him.

“Both of my friends got married today” Haneul wept as Jaehwan was now hugging Wonshik on the couch.

“Love is so inspiring. We should tell everyone about this” she decided, going through the contacts list. She found the number she had been looking for before hitting dial.

“Biker sunbae! Jaehwan and Wonshik just got married! Say congratulations!” she said at one go. “No no. It was a completely sober decision. Just like this one is. Sunbae let's get married!” Haneul spoke.

“Yeah! Get married! It feels amazing!” Jaehwan yelled from the side.

“I love you. Jaehwan loves Wonshik. Wonshik loves Jaehwan. Taekwoon only loves coffee because he is a cat. That’s one... two… three! Three perfect reasons for us to get married” she explained. She gasped and stared at her phone before scowling. “Stupid jealous cat” she said frowning at the fact that Taekwoon had taken Minah’s phone and hung up on her.

“I think Wonshik fell asleep” Jaehwan said. Haneul looked up to see Wonshik dozing off at one end of the couch. “How can a person fall asleep on their wedding night?” Jaehwan grumbled before pouting and hugging Wonshik. Haneul giggled at the two before opening up the texting group. So what if Taekwoon hadn’t let her confess on the phone? She could confess on the group! And while they were at it, she could also encourage Sanghyuk and Hongbin to get married as well! They deserved love and happiness too, didn’t they? Haneul typed furiously with a new resolve.

She frowned at the text messages sent in reply. Hakyeon was confused while Sanghyuk just asked her if she was drunk. She wasn’t drunk! No! Not at all! She was perfectly sober no thank you very much. She scowled darkly before flinging her phone away and snuggling with her new teddy bear on the floor. Tomorrow morning, she would pop the question to her awesome biker sunbae again. More romantically than Taekwoon ever would, she thought with vengeance. She giggled at the thought of marrying Minah and having cute children like Injung before finally succumbing to her tiredness and passing out. Strangely her couch felt as warm and as comfortable as a human hug.


The drunk call was based on true events. Thank you animeotakupooh for calling me and telling me you love me 50,000 times during my choir practice.
 - Ryukai
 
I will definitely continue the drunken shenanigans because I really love you biker sunbae! You are <3
- animeotakupooh