17

Tales of a Consulting Firm

Hakyeon looked out of his office. He saw Sanghyuk going to the pantry, probably to get coffee. Taekwoon was in his office. On a call apparently and typing away furiously. Maybe a client or the board of directors. Hongbin was at Jaehwan’s cubicle, engaged in deep discussion.

He could see Wonshik dozing off in his cubicle. Hakyeon shook his head. That boy was going to catch a cold. He casually strolled over, greeting people he knew on the way. He found Wonshik’s jacket and covered him with it when it struck him.

Things were quiet today.

Things were too quiet.

Hakyeon frowned. He surveyed the office and saw Taekwoon staring longingly  at his coffee cup. Oh right. Minah was out of office for the day. Things were unusually silent when she wasn't around. And she was to transfer to Wonshik’s department soon. He missed her already.

Sighing, he got up and headed over to the breakroom. Taekwoon needed his post-call coffee and by the look on his face, the call had not gone too well. Hakyeon bumped into Sanghyuk in the break room to overhear him say something ridiculous about hiding his secret folder from Haneul yet again.

“Sanghyuk, you know this is not going to work.” he sighed, turning on the coffee machine and hitting the latte button and picking up the glass only to have Sanghyuk pick him up and drop him out of the break room.

“And you were not invited to join.” Sanghyuk declared.

Hakyeon glared at the youngest before knocking and entering Taekwoon’s office and placing the coffee on the table. Taekwoon looked up at him with a quirked eyebrow.

“Don’t break your office down.” he said as Taekwoon sighed.

“It’s not that bad.” Hakyeon simply shot him a look.

“It was really bad but not something we can’t fix,” Taekwoon conceded. Hakyeon looked at Taekwoon, worried as the latter stood up and picked up the coffee cup on his table “we’ll just need to ask Haneul to reconfigure a few things here and there. Then things should be fine.”  Hakyeon nodded, following Taekwoon out of his cabin to Haneul’s cubicle.

“What on earth are you doing?” Hakyeon gaped at Haneul’s screen as she tried in vain to switch tabs. Hakyeon frowned at the incredibly familiar looking person on the screen “why is Minah on your screen with a man?”

Taekwoon’s head popped up over Hakyeon’s shoulder at that statement and Haneul sighed.

“That amazing looking man is Minah’s brother, Kim Minseok.” which made Taekwoon’s eyes nearly pop out and Hakyeon’s jaw to drop.

“Wait, you said Kim Minseok. Like the Kim Minseok?” Hakyeon repeated as Haneul turned to the two to see that Taekwoon looked like he was ready to curl up into foetal position.

“Yeah, what about him? Isn’t he gorgeous?”

“He also whooped Taekwoon’s at soccer back in high school.” Hakyeon whispered almost like he was speaking of a legend. To Taekwoon, this was the end of the world . His childhood rival was now Minh’s brother. How on earth was he supposed to deal with that?

“Oh. Ah well, he’s married and that’s just too bad. Except he’s Injung’s father which is amazing,” Haneul replied, clicking on the ‘next’ button “holy poop, Injungie’s mum is beautiful. What is this family?!”

“Apparently all the good genes have been compacted into this one family,” Sanghyuk’s voice piped up over Haneul’s shoulder causing her to jump “also, is it weird that we aren’t friends with Minah on her sns?”

“I heard Haneul was stalking Minah’s brother. We are here to stop it from happening.” Wonshik declared as he entered with Jaehwan.

“Minah’s brother is Kim Minseok.”

“Woah, Taekwoon’s childhood soccer rival?” Hongbin piped up as everyone now peered into Haneul’s screen.

“Damn, Injung has gotten the best of her parents. Except she looks like her aunt, who looks like her attractive brother.” Sanghyuk sounded awestruck.

“Seriously, Haneul is right, this Minseok guy would give Hongbin a run for his money,” Hakyeon nodded before turning to Sanghyuk “consider hiring him for sales.”

“Hey! Stop giving my job away!” Hongbin exclaimed indignantly “although, his wife is really good looking too.”

“Yeah, she looks really smart and sensible. Seems like your type Hakyeon.” Wonshik nodded, glad they had gotten off the topic of Minseok.

“But Minseok must be really good at soccer to beat Taekwoon.” Haneul stared at the screen with starry eyes. Jaehwan and Wonshik sighed, why would she go right back to Minseok? They watched as she clicked on the ‘next’ picture.

“Woah, this looks like it’s from Minseok’s wedding. Minah’s date is so tall! He looks like a model! What is this?!” Haneul’s jaw dropped. There was even more shuffling and crowding around the screen. “God damn it Kim Minseok, why are you married and why do you look so good in a suit?!”

“Taekwoon’s soul is leaving his body.” Jaehwan mumbled, gaping at the screen and back at Taekwoon.

“Is it because Minah looks good in that gown? Or because her brother is Minseok? Or is it because her date is hot? We will never know.” Wonshik whispered back.

“They’re cutely holding hands!” Hakyeon sounded like a proud mother “Minah was so young and adorable and this date of her’s is also… very good looking.” he nodded approvingly.

Taekwoon wanted to throw the screen away.

“Oh oh look the next picture is of Minah with baby Injungie!” Haneul squealed as the picture of Minah appeared with Injung in her arms “Oh my god, hot date dude is there as well. He’s Injungie’s Uncle Sehun according to this caption.” she read out.

“Minah is married to hot date?” Hongbin’s jaw dropped.

“Hold on, she’s just uploaded a new picture!” Haneul squealed “It’s with hot date Sehun! Oh my god they look so good together!” she squealed as there was more scrambling around the screen. Taekwoon forced his way ahead and saw the good looking man with his arm around a pouty and grumpy Minah as he grinned at the camera.

“Uh, why does her caption read ‘you are a stupid poop?’” Sanghyuk commented, blinking.

“Could possibly be their cute nicknames for each other, we wouldn’t know.” Jaehwan silenced them by waving his hand.

“He commented with ‘you know you love me’ they ARE married! Why doesn’t she tell us ANYTHING?” Haneul mourned “She didn’t tell us about her hot brother, she didn’t tell us he was married, she didn’t tell us she was married and then when she has a baby with hot date she won’t tell me that I’m an aunt!”

“Taekwoon looks ill.” Hongbin whispered to get whacked by the boss cat.

“Hehehehe she just said “You’re my cousin, I have no choice. I am related to a stupid poop.” Hakyeon chuckled as a sense of relief and realization took over the room.

“She’s mean.” Wonshik tried to hold back a laugh but miserably failed.

“And to think that Haneul was ready with a backstory for their marriage and kids” Sanghyuk teased.

“It's not my fault that all men in her life are hot. Why does Minah only hang out with hot beautiful people?” Haneul sighed.

“Uh excuse me. All the men in your life are hot too?!” Hakyeon said. Haneul turned to look where all of them were (not so) subtly posing (although Taekwoon was just sulking and always looked like a model) and blinked. “Where?” she asked, pretending to be dumbfounded.

“You break my heart” Hakyeon said.

“I think seeing Minah in a hot dress broke Taekwoon” Sanghyuk laughed. He high fived Haneul who went back to sighing at the pictures.

“It was good while it lasted” she said, as if narrating a tragedy. She dramatically clicked on the close button only to reveal another tab with another social media site and more pictures of Minah and her brother.

“How much exactly did you stalk her?” Hakyeon asked as Haneul kept closing multiple tabs. Haneul mumbled an unintelligible reply before locking her system down. “Just get back to work all of you” Taekwoon growled.

“Yeah he's not all that hot anyways” Wonshik said.

“Nope” Jaehwan agreed.

“Who? Minseok or Sehun?” Hongbin asked.

“Both” Taekwoon said firmly. Haneul gasped and ushered everyone out of her cubicle.

“They’re both hot and Minah is lucky. Now everyone shut up and leave.”

“Leave you to stalking her?” Sanghyuk raised his eyebrow.

“Right. Like you aren’t going to do the same.” Haneul countered causing Wonshik and Jaehwan to chuckle.

“That is simply a background check.” Sanghyuk defended.

“Which you should have done ages ago.” Hongbin replied.

“Rubbish, we all know that we’re all going to go back and stalk her.” Sanghyuk said before leaving to go back to his office.

“Speaking of which, where is BossCat?” Hakyeon whispered as the group turned towards the cabin where the cat resided.

Jung Taekwoon on the other hand was up to exactly what Sanghyuk had predicted. Now, with the knowledge of the fact that Minah was indeed Minseok’s sister, things automatically became a lot more complicated.

“What a cute child.” he said to no one in particular, gazing at Injung before closing the cover picture before sending Minah a friend request. He automatically felt his heart rate increase in anticipation only to feel relief when it was accepted.

He looked around the office to ensure he wasn’t being watched, before opening the profile picture box. It was a pretty picture he nodded to himself eyeing the casual clothing she was wearing as compared to her usual formal clothes which she wore to office, but he was here to do a recce on Minseok and Injung, not focus on Minah. He clicked on next, it was a picture of Minah with another lady, going by the tag, it was her sister-in-law Dambi. Minah was grinning at Dambi who returned it with a shy smile. There was a picture of Minah and Haneul next from the MT, he could see himself sleeping in the background in one of the train seats. He clicked next and held back a laugh. It was a picture of Injung squishing Minah’s face with Minseok standing behind them doing the peace sign with the caption ‘Dumpling face family’ and several comments from this Sehun fellow commenting on how ridiculous Minah looked. Taekwoon shook his head and chose to squint at the brother who could possibly cause problems.

That was when a ping from the office head group caused him to look up with a start. Picking his phone up, he spotted a message from Sanghyuk.

Sanghyuk : Everyone get off Minah’s Facebook account. Look at her instagram account instead

Haneul :  You’re such a stalker Sanghyuk.

Sanghyuk : Background check.

Hakyeon : Leave my child alone.

Hakyeon : Holy this instagram account is a gold mine.

Hongbin :  Your child you say?

Jaehwan : Did not know she modeled

Wonshik : It says it’s for her friend.

Haneul : I want that white dress she’s wearing.

Hakyeon : Taekwoon is suspiciously silent.

Sanghyuk : That’s cause he doesn’t have an instagram account.

Jaehwan : Hehehehehe

Hongbin : Woah, can I have her in sales asap?

Wonshik : She’s joining my department. You are not allowed to sell Minah. Taekwoon will kill you.

Taekwoon : Everyone get to work. NOW.

Haneul : God, fine JTW.

Taekwoon sighed and picked his phone up and look around the room before looking back into the screen again. A good fifteen minutes later the device vibrated in his hands.

Sanghyuk : I can’t believe you joined Instagram to follow Minah’s profile Jung Taekwoon.

Taekwoon : I heard there were puppy videos on this app. Plus it will help with other marketing ideas.

Hongbin : Lies.

Haneul : Can you guys stop liking ALL her posts, I just got a message from her asking me why everyone is so free to go through her sns today.


Everybody loves Minah? :P