22

Tales of a Consulting Firm

Haneul jolted when her phone buzzed, she sighed reaching for it to see a text from her classmate from college and friend Park Chanyeol. They texted every now and then when either of them weren’t busy. Sometimes they met up, if Haneul got tired of the people at work, which wasn’t often since they were such an entertaining bunch.

“Your friend in your display picture is hot.”

Haneul blinked before going to check her display picture out. It was a picture of Minah and her from one of their ‘girls day out’ days. Her eyes widened in horror as tapped back to the chat and texted back instantly.

“I’m sorry what?!”

“She’s hot.”

“She’s Kim Minah and you can’t have her.”

“Dambi has set me up on some blind date.” Minah’s voice piped up as she dropped down beside Haneul after dragging a chair from the empty cubicle which used to be hers. Haneul spun around to gape at Minah who shrugged as she pulled her chair closer.

“Dambi states that he is hot as well. Ergo, I will need your help in the art of seduction.”

“Hold on hold on! You don’t even know his name and what on earth do you mean teach you the art of seduction?!” Haneul gaped at Minah who sighed.

“Remember the last time we went out? You offered me lessons to seduce Taekwoon. But I’m just going to take those lessons so I can have a nice date tonight. Oh, and his name is Park Chanyeol or something.”

Haneul paused and squinted at Minah “ Park Chanyeol… Park Chanyeol from Yonsei University?!”

“Uh, yeah...at least that’s what Dambi told me.” Minah nodded as Haneul whipped her phone out only to freeze. Minah watched in awe as Haneul’s fingers flew over the keypad. Her friend was clearly fuming as a royal pout appeared on her lips.

“He cannot call you hot!” she grumbled at no one in particular as Minah gaped at her, baffled.

“I’m so confused right now, is that an instruction for a session in seduction?”

“I am not teaching you this! Not with that dodo head! Not after he called you hot.” Haneul continued with her rambling as Minah finally lost it and grabbed Haneul’s phone and peered into the screen. Then some realization dawned over her.

“I see you know my blind date. And he thinks I’m hot…”

“He can’t!” Haneul floundered as Minah tried to hold back a laugh before placing her hand on Haneul’s shoulder.

“Kim Haneul, I’m always yours.”

Haneul paused mid ramble before a huge smile spread across her lips as she stood up and spotted Taekwoon heading back into his office.

“ IT JUNG TAEKWOON SHE’S MINE!”

Taekwoon spun around to find the source of the scream and spotted Haneul dancing around in her cubicle. Baffled, just like everyone else who had heard Haneul’s announcement was, he shrugged before getting back into his office.

“Seriously though, he doesn’t look like a bad guy. This might be the only chance I have in the dating game. So teach me your wise ways oh Kim Haneul.” Minah sighed as Haneul sat down and sighed.

“You can do way better than Park Chanyeol...like me!”

“Haneul, we’re both straight.” Minah deadpanned.

“Fine, go for Jung Taekwoon.”

“Who is my boss and is a little too much out of my league. Either way, I don’t think these lessons are going to happen. So tell me more about this Park Chanyeol.”

Haneul plonked back down on her seat and squinted “Hmmm how do I even begin to explain Park Chanyeol?”

“I doubt he is Regina George.” Minah rolled her eyes as Haneul chuckled.

“I mean he’s a pretty good guy, tall, dorky, talented with musical instruments and stuff. Oh! He’s like a hyper beagle!” Haneul began as she watched Minah’s eyes widen.

“I love beagles. They’re so damn cute.”

“Don’t you like cats?” Haneul asked as Minah nodded.

“I do…”

“Taekwoon is like a cat!”

“Uh...I’m more of a dog person. Although I love most animals.”

“Then date meee!” Haneul cried as Minah sighed, this was going nowhere. She stood up, dragging the chair back to its original spot.

“This is going nowhere, I’ll just head back to Admin now.”

“Noooo, fine! It’ll teach you. I don’t approve, but I’ll teach you!”

“You will? Seriously?” Minah asked, raising an eyebrow at Haneul.

“Uh… yeah! What do you want to know?” Haneul asked, wracking her brains. She had agreed to teach Minah how to seduce someone but had no idea how to go about it herself.

“Okay. Well, first things first. You need to be well groomed. You can’t be y if you look horrible” Haneul started. Minah nodded to herself. This was easy.

“And second… you need to have a good outfit! Not necessarily y but comfortable and flattering. If you’ve got it then you should flaunt it!” Haneul told her seriously.

“That feels like the theme of a Beyonce song” Minah laughed.

“She is the best example! Unapologetically y. She doesn’t even have to try to seduce” Haneul said with a sigh.

“I know what you mean!” Minah agreed enthusiastically. “But I am most definitely not Queen Bey level.”

“Don’t you worry! When we are through, you will be!” Haneul proclaimed.

“Now this is where it gets tricky so you need to watch carefully. The third tip is to look approachable but also be unavailable at the same time” she told Minah.

“Huh?” Minah asked, confused by the statement.

“Hmm… let’s see. Aha! Wonshik is coming this way” Haneul noted.

“Damn. He must be looking for me. I really should be getting back to work” Minah started.

“Nuh uh! What’s the advantage of seduction if I can’t get you a free day when you really need time to tackle a crisis? Leave this to me” Haneul assured the younger woman.

“You don’t need an excuse to seduce Wonshik” Minah teased.

“Excuse you, he is a married man. Also this is only for demonstration. So take notes” Haneul sang. She got up, fixing her hair and biting her lip to make them look a little more swollen. She had her game face on and Minah knew it because she saw the same look in her brother’s eyes as he went for a goal.

“Wonshik! Hi!” Haneul said with a bright smile as she walked up to him.

“Oh… Hi Haneul” Wonshik replied with a smile.

“Would you mind if I stole Minah for a day? Pretty please?” Haneul asked, leaning into his space while giving him a pout. Minah noted that it wasn’t her royal frustrated pout but a toned down pout that just made her lips quiver. And they definitely had Wonshik’s attention because he glanced down at her and blushed, looking at the ceiling and every else except at Haneul herself.

“Uh... sure” he agreed, stepping back a little.

“Thank you! I have such a busy day and I could really use her help. You are such a sweetheart” she exclaimed happily. Haneul put her hand on his chest as she said so, making Wonshik stutter a little while replying. Haneul smiled at him before returning to her desk.

“I am free all day and so are you now” she declared making Minah wonder what had just happened. “Also important lesson. Know what your enemy’s weakness is. Wonshik gets easily flustered when you touch him. A lot of men are weak to accidental touches.”

“Accidental touches?” Minah asked.

“Yeah! Things like a pat on the back, or hands brushing together. Take Hongbin for example. Brush against his neck for example and he is done for” Haneul told her. “Let’s head down to marketing and you will see.”

“But that’s so creepy. Won’t he see it coming from a mile away?” Minah asked.

“He hasn’t figured it out till date. Speak of the devil” Haneul said, looking at the corridor. Hongbin had just come out of a meeting room and was escorting his clients out. He spotted Haneul and Minah and came over to greet them.

“Hey Binnie! How did the meeting go?” Haneul asked him. Minah opted to wave at him, not wanting to speak and ruin Haneul’s demo.

“Pretty good actually. I really have a good feeling about the proposal the team planned. I am very sure it will get accepted and that will be amazing for us.” he told them.

“Sounds amazing. Oh hey, I think you have something on your neck” Haneul pointed out. Hongbin frowned, rubbing at his neck.

“A little higher actually. Maybe I should …?” Haneul offered.

“Yeah. Sure. I kind of have to rush to my next meeting with Taekwoon” he groaned.

Haneul nodded sympathetically before leaning forward. She brushed away imaginary dirt on his neck extremely delicately. Minah held back a snort because that sort of brushing got rid of nothing. But she could see goosebumps form on his skin.

“There you go” Haneul replied. Instead of pulling her hand away directly, she let it ghost over his shoulder and trailed it down his arm instead. Minah held back a laugh because the reaction was almost instantaneous. The tips of his ears were red and he looked visibly flustered by the sudden proximity between him and Haneul.

“I should get to that meeting” Hongbin said, clearing his throat.

“Bye BeanMan” Minah said, unable to hide her amusement. Haneul glared at her so that she wouldn’t give them away but she couldn’t hide her own grin. Hongbin left quickly and the two of them broke into a fit of giggles.

“Come on. Finances is on the way to the pantry in the other wing and I am craving lemon tea and Hakyeon’s confused expression will be funny” Haneul said leading the way.

“Okay. and pray oh wise one, what is his weakness?” Minah asked her.

“Flattery. Hakyeon knows he is y and asserts it, but he rarely expects someone else to up the ante” Haneul said wisely. Minah nodded, following her. This exercise was definitely not what she thought she would be doing today. But it was a good distraction and extremely entertaining.

“Hakyeonnie! Oppa! You look handsome today” Haneul exclaimed, walking into Hakyeon’s cabin. He was free and his door was open and the department heads always took it as an open invitation to come talk to him.

“What do you want from me?” Hakyeon asked, without looking up from his file.

“Nothing! I am not that kind of girl Cha Hakyeon!” Haneul replied dramatically. Hakyeon levelled a look at her, eyebrow raised in disbelief.

“I just thought that you looked really handsome today” Haneul said with a soft smile. Minah blinked at the sudden change in tone. Was that the secret to get Hakyeon’s attention?

“Are you both just playing around?” Hakyeon asked, his cheeks tinged pink from Haneul’s sudden declaration.

“We were just on our way to the pantry to get lemon tea. The other pantry ran out” Minah explained.

“And also to say hi to our y friend but he clearly doesn’t want us here” Haneul huffed.

“Why are you suddenly like this today?” Hakyeon asked, embarrassed by the praise.

“I’m appreciating you! If you’ve got it then you should flaunt it! That’s what Queen Bey says, right Minah?” Haneul asked her.

“Absolutely” Minah said in hundred per cent agreement.

“O.M.G talking about flaunting, have you ever noticed the fabled Cha Booty like - “  Haneul started, just to be interrupted by Hakyeon.

“Minah doesn’t need to know! Just go drink your lemon tea!” Hakyeon yelled kicking Haneul out.

“Fine geez” Haneul said, pretending to take offense and walking off. Minah bowed apologetically and followed only for both of them to stop when Hakyeon had gone back in. They doubled back and snuck a peek into his cabin to see him smiling to himself as he signed papers and gave each other a high five.

“Lemon tea, lemon tea, lemon tea…. Han Sanghyuk! Perfect timing! Minah, Sanghyuk is a bit of a wildcard so watch and learn.” Haneul exclaimed. She had been looking into finding some lemon tea for herself and take a break from the impromptu adventure but they had found Sanghyuk in the pantry. HR sat right next to Finance, Minah remembered. That’s how she had run into Hakyeon on her first day.

Sanghyuk appeared to be in a good mood Minah noted; Haneul approached him holding her phone up.

“Sanghyukkie, I’m starting an Instagram page to put up pictures of handsome guys and you’re first!”

Sanghyuk’s eyes narrowed “Is there something you want Haneul?”

“I just want a picture Han Sanghyuk, stop making a big deal of it. Fine, we’ll just take the picture together Minah.” Haneul rolled her eyes before holding her phone up.

“Huh?” Minah blinked, turning to Sanghyuk with wide eyes before placing a hand on his forehead “why don’t you want to take the picture though? You’re always ready for pictures. Are you ill?”

Sanghyuk reached for Haneul’s phone and grabbed it “I’ll take the picture with Minah.” he said as Haneul gaped at him and mouthed “mommy issues? Noona love? He likes being mothered?” before mumbling “truly a wild card.” as she headed to the pantry to make her lemon tea. She returned to see Sanghyuk still taking pictures with Minah whose smile was faltering as she started to look tired of it.

“Lean in lean in!” Haneul mouthed at Minah who blinked at her before resting her head on his shoulder “amazing!” Haneul shot her a thumbs up before turning to him

“I just wanted one picture of you and you took some twenty with her!” she protested.

“You’re just crazy” Sanghyuk said. He lifted her up quite easily making her shriek and put her quite a distance away from himself. “You’re really crazy today” he said, trying to understand what was happening.

“Well, you are crazy for blushing for pictures with her!” Haneul sing-songed.

“Was it because you liked it?” Minah asked laughing.

“Was it hot Hyukkie?” Haneul asked, imitating Hakyeon’s popular phrase.

“Why do I have to live with this? I should lodge a complaint against the two of you for harassment” he huffed as he walked away.

“I’ll honestly admit that the Sanghyuk attempt was more of a miss than a hit” Haneul said sadly.

“He was always a wildcard. At least we got him flustered?” Minah pointed out.

“He’s probably plotting a hundred ways to embarrass me in return” Haneul frowned.

“There there. Don’t be sad” Minah consoled her by patting her back. If this experiment was meant to continue, there was bound to be some amount of reaction to it.

“So who's next? Dearly beloved Jaehwan?” Minah asked in amusement. If there was a reaction then  Haneul had brought upon herself. Haneul choked on her lemon tea.

“No. Uh…. Jaehwan is Aries. If you want to seduce one then uh… just seduce yourself or something. Besides! He is a married man. If there is anyone who should be seducing him it should be Wonshik” she explained as she cleaned herself up.

“I think that you should seduce Jaehwan” Minah teased. If Wonshik got to play target it was only fair that Jaehwan did too.

“No thank you. Maybe you should seduce Taekwoon” Haneul shot back.

“I don't want to! Go seduce Jaehwan” Minah replied.

“Seduce Boss Cat!” Haneul pouted.

“You seduce flower boy!” Minah countered as Haneul waved her hands.

“You seduce Silent and Violent!”

“Fine! You seduce Silent and Violent” Minah grinned.

“Fine! Maybe I’ll do it!.... Wait what” Haneul stopped.

“This will be interesting” Minah grinned. “Or you can seduce Jaehwan. Your choice.”

“I'd rather seduce that Slimy lizard” Haneul grumbled. She took a swig of her lemon tea, finishing it in one go. She poured out another cup and walked out towards the direction of Taekwoon’s cabin.

“Hey Haneul!” Jaehwan called out to her as she passed him in the hallway.

“Later babe” Haneul said, walking on. Jaehwan blinked, smiling at her before walking away. Minah held back a laugh. Jaehwan found her cute even when she did not intend it. She followed Haneul quickly, hurrying because she did not want to miss this.

“Hi” Haneul chirped to Taekwoon as soon as Minah entered the room. She almost keeled over laughing as she found Haneul back hugging Taekwoon with a cup of hot coffee in her hands and Taekwoon at a loss for words.

“Woonie. I brought you coffee!” Haneul said holding the cup up. She shifted to snuggle closer into him and smiled at him.

“How much sugar did you eat, you hyper weirdo?” Taekwoon asked, his face turning red. Why was Haneul so weird? Especially when Minah was around? He looked to Minah for help but she was busy laughing at the scene unfolding in front of her.

“Please get off me. All of this is highly unprofessional” Taekwoon said. He was now sure that Haneul was somehow drunk and he suspected Minah because Sanghyuk was such a bad influence on her. Maybe he should separate the two, is there a way to prevent Minah from joining the HR team?

“I am just doing a coffee run!” Haneul exclaimed, pouting at him.

“I just finished my latte so no thanks” Taekwoon told her waving to the empty cup in front of him.

“You only drink coffee that Minah makes” Haneul grumbled. Yet she made no move to get away.

“I'm trying to work here Haneul.” Taekwoon grumbled, trying to move while not knocking over hot coffee on himself or the desktop.

“Daeeeggguunnii. Try my coffee at least.” Haneul rested her chin on his shoulder comically since his back was too broad for her to entirely engulf him in a hug. Minah was nearly in tears now as she held back her laughter which seemed to escape her in bursts.

“I am not entirely sure of what the hell is going on here. But please leave the coffee on the table and leave this room. I have an important email to decipher.” Taekwoon said firmly as Haneul sighed in defeat sensing the tone of his voice was one which should not be taken lightly. Minah straightened up at the tone too as Haneul detached herself from the boss and left the coffee on his table before shooting him a frown.

“Fine, I’m going to be petty and take our English language consultant away! You can decipher the English email on your own! I’ll help her prepare for her blind date.” Haneul stuck her tongue out at Taekwoon as he gaped at her. He had intended on calling Minah for help but couldn’t seem to get through to her desk phone.

Taekwoon wasn’t sure how to react or which piece of information to react to first - the fact that Haneul was dragging away the person who could help him out or the fact that Minah was going on a blind date. Why was she going on a blind date? Who was she going on a blind date with?

“Haneul, I think I should help him out. It’s the least we can do for putting him through this...whatever this is.” Minah said evenly as Haneul pouted at her. Why was Minah sabotaging everything?! Taekwoon sighed in relief. At least one of his problems were going to be solved. Haneul glared at him as he mouthed “blind date?” to her. She shrugged nonchalantly in response. It was Taekwoon’s turn to glare at her only to freeze when Minah leaned over to read the email. Her arm brushed over his shoulder and arm before reaching for the mouse.

“I’m scrolling up so I can read the whole thing.” she smiled at him before scrolling up and reading the contents of the email intently. Taekwoon only snapped out of it when he heard a snort from the other end of the room as Haneul held back her laughter.

“So,” Minah began in a low voice “these are instructions from the client about the global marketing requirements. The list is rather long, if you want me to read it out, I can. If not, you can forward the email to me and I’ll send you a translated version.” Taekwoon felt her shift against his back before moving away as he cleared his throat. His phone was also buzzing violently on the table.

“I’ll forward the email to you. If you can get back to me…”

“I’ll get it done as soon as possible!” Minah smiled as she caught hold of Haneul, who was furiously texting, and dragged her out. Taekwoon sighed and pulled his phone towards himself and unlocked it to see a barrage of messages from Haneul.

Haneul : YOU CHEATER -_-

Haneul : Why is it absolutely fine that Minah gives you a pseudo back hug?!?!

Haneul : But I

Haneul : Your most beloved junior from college

Haneul : And practical sister

Haneul : Cannot give you an actual hug?!?!?

Taekwoon : Cut me some slack, I did not expect it okay?

Haneul : You were blushing like a baboon’s .

Taekwoon : Shut up. What is this blind date business?

Haneul : NOT TELLING YOUUUU

Taekwoon : Stop acting like Jaehwan

Haneul : Stop being an . You love Jaehwan. You also love me more.

Taekwoon : What the hell

Haneul : PLUS Minah loves me and she’s mine. SO IT.

Taekwoon : Is this what you were screaming about in the morning?

Haneul : …maybe?

Taekwoon : So are you going to tell me?

Haneul : YOU WILL NEVER KNOW YOU CHEATER

Taekwoon : Hugs and a trip to the puppy cafe?

Haneul : You are an evil Hamster and I hope you die.

Haneul : Actually don’t die

Taekwoon : Because you love me?

Haneul : Because you owe me money

Taekwoon : -_- I said I’d pay you back! And also, I’ll pay for the cafe meal this time. So, tell me.

 

He paused as he heard Jaehwan squawking outside “what?! The dude said he found her hot? That’s really forward!”

“Hush Jaehwan!” he heard Haneul shush him “If I wanted the entire office to know then I would have screamed it too!”

Taekwoon sighed when he saw an email from Minah in his inbox waiting to be read. She was breaking up the instructions into bits and sending them over. Office gossip could wait for later, including this mysterious fellow Minah was going on a date with. Outside, Jaehwan and Haneul were on a different mission. At least Haneul was.

“What are you doing now though?” Jaehwan asked as he peered into Haneul’s phone screen.

“Sabotaging Chanyeol’s date.” she smirked.

“You are an evil woman.” Jaehwan said as he gaped at the message Haneul had just sent.

“You find it hot.” Haneul shot back as Jaehwan leaned closer and whispered.

“Why yes I do.” he leaned away before whistling.  “You told him that there was no point in the date because Taekwoon was interested? Bold move.” Haneul wanted to stomp the ground like a petulant child. Who the hell asked this man to exist! And who was seducing who? She was distracted when Chanyeol’s response came back in rapid succession.

 

Chanyeol :What ?!

Chanyeol : Taekwoon the senior?

Chanyeol : Like athletic Taekwoon?

Chanyeol : Swimming champ Taekwoon?

Chanyeol : Football team captain Taekwoon?

Chanyeol : Big scary boxing Taekwoon?!

Chanyeol : I’m out. Sorry hot friend. But I’m out.

 

Jaehwan chuckled as the read the responses before nudging Haneul “Minah incoming. News does travel fast. I will see you later?” he said, winking, before heading towards his cubicle. Presumably to work on some cool new creation. Haneul glared at him before turning to Minah who had just turned up looking puzzled.

“Apparently Chanyeol who thought I was hot does not want to go out on a date with me.”

Haneul rearranged her expression into one of similar confusion as she met Minah’s disappointed eyes “why is that?”

“I don’t know, Dambi just shot me a quick text. But he cancelled and I have a reservation. Do you want to go out to eat?”

Haneul looked thoughtful “I have work. Why don’t you take Taekwoon out for dinner? To thank him for the puppy cafe.”

"I thought you didn't have work." Minah frowned, confused even further as Haneul huffed at  how oblivious her friend was being.

"Yes, well I do now."

That’s when Taekwoon’s door flew open as the two standing outside turned to look at him as he shrugged and pointed in the direction of the pantry"I'm hungry, I’m heading to the pantry."

"Good Taekwoon, Minah has a reservation and her date bailed, so go eat." Haneul declared as Minah and Taekwoon looked at her startled.

"I'll just take Dambi or something." Minah said awkwardly "So I can talk to her about this Chanyeol who thinks I'm hot but bails on dates."

"Chanyeol? Who thinks you're hot?" Taekwoon blinked as he turned to Minah.

"Long story Jung Taekwoon.” Haneul dismissed it as the cogs in Taekwoon’s brain slowly shifted and clicked.

"Isn’t Chanyeol that idiot from college?"

"Yeah." Haneul replied, chuckling at Minah’s look at Taekwoon, she appeared to be surprised at how he thought Chanyeol was an idiot.

"Why does he know Minah or think she's hot?" Taekwoon blinked.

"Her sister in law wanted to set them up on a blind date." Haneul explained, getting tired of this and hoping that she could just push the two out of the office on a date of their own.

"Ah, well, I'm glad it didn't work out." Taekwoon shrugged as he sighed.

“You sound like an right now." Minah piped up, a little disappointed with the fact that her date had cancelled on her.

"Chanyeol is an idiot." Haneul patted her shoulder.

"Fine then, if he's such an idiot, you find me a smarter date." Minah snapped as Haneul grinned in response before waving to Taekwoon.

"I volunteer Taekwoon!"

There was silence as the two looked at Haneul and sighed.

“I’m going home and eating ramyun.”

“I’m going to go and see if there is something to eat in the pantry.”

“Why don’t you walk her home and have ramyun together?!” Haneul cried as the two walked away from her.


Save us from ourselves.