11

Tales of a Consulting Firm

“What's this?” Minah asked when Sanghyuk put down a card in front of them.

“Seems like a wedding invite” Haneul hazarded a guess.

“You won't believe who’s wedding it is” Sanghyuk said sourly.

“Who's is it?” Minah asked picking it up. Haneul sipped on her lemon tea. The two of them had been going over possible restaurants for Hakyeon’s dinner since said man was out of office.  They had decided on the cafeteria since Minah had been hungry and Haneul had been craving lemon tea. That was till Sanghyuk appeared, pushing an envelope to them.

“No freaking way” Haneul started to laugh.

“Yes way. I'm even a guest of honour” Sanghyuk grumbled.

“Guys, context?” Minah asked, feeling left out.

“Im Jimin is getting married. To Han Yesul” Sanghyuk told her.

“Great. I'm happy for them. But I should know them because?” she prompted. Sanghyuk just grumbled while Haneul took a moment to compose herself.

“Im Jimin is an ex employee. He was amongst one of the first set of people we worked with. Unfortunately, he quit a while ago. But while he was here, Sanghyuk was the person who set him up with Han Yesul unwillingly” Haneul explained. Minah blinked.

“How do you set someone up unwillingly?” she asked the pair.

“Well… this requires a little bit of  back story” Haneul told her. Minah nodded and she continued while Sanghyuk shrunk in his seat. “When the HR department was setup, Sanghyuk had the brilliant idea of an anonymous harassment reporting system. Except not every complaint lodged on it was harassment per se” Haneul continued.

“So one day Jimin lodges in a complaint saying that his co workers keep eating his food. And Sanghyuk brilliantly replied that he should not eat lunch with his team” Haneul explained.

“That does not sound like a brilliant solution” Minah said with an incredulous tone.

“I was being sarcastic” Sanghyuk protested.

“Well it never carries over text. So the next day Jimin ended up in Sanghyuk’s office to eat lunch with him instead” Haneul put in. Minah stared at her as Haneul broke into a fit of giggles.

“What did you do then?” Minah asked, looking at Sanghyuk.

“I ended up finding another lunch partner for him. No points for guessing who” Sanghyuk told her.

“More like bullied. Yesul was his assistant at the time and he basically ordered them to go eat together” Haneul put in.

“She quit us too. A few days before you joined us actually” Sanghyuk put in. Minah nodded, apparently Sanghyuk was not just a HR head, but a matchmaker.

“I have a question,” she said, sliding back in her chair to stretch her legs out Sanghyuk eyed her suspiciously but nodded for her to go ahead “why haven’t you set the trio up?” she finished, throwing a Haneul a smirk as the head of tech choked on her lemon tea.

“Listen, leave me out of this,” Haneul grumbled as Sanghyuk rolled his eyes “maybe he should focus on setting you and the boss up.”

“He will do nothing of the sort. I don’t understand why you think Jung Taekwoon, the boss man even likes me.” Minah frowned at Haneul as Sanghyuk fought the urge to roll his eyes at Minah’s obliviousness.

“What Sanghyuk should really be focussing on is firing the employee who has been sabotaging client meetings.” Hongbin said, entering the cafeteria and pulling a chair to join the group. The three turned to the handsome man who was now frowning.

“What’s the scene?” Hyuk asked, pursing his lips.

“Well, there have been rumours going around about Song Jungkook. That kid still on probation? You remember him.” Hongbin looked at Sanghyuk, who nodded.

“Oh yeah, I remember going through his file. He hadn’t given in a letter from his previous employer, though.” Minah wondered out aloud. Sanghyuk had said they were rather particular about those since he’d be holding full-time jobs in two organizations and that would make him not very trustworthy.

“I needed to follow-up on that.” Hyuk mumbled, maybe it was time he hired more people for his department. He turned to Hongbin “so, he’s been mucking around during client meetings?”

Hongbin sighed “you know how I don’t let the new ones pitch on their own, Jungkook sits in with Changhun, yes the one with the really bad bladder control, and apparently every time he leaves the room to take a leak and comes back, the relationship with the client has soured.”

“That’s awful.” Haneul frowned as Minah nodded, trying to figure out how exactly it was happening. Sanghyuk hummed, his mind was already at work with a plan to catch this Song Jungkook fellow in action. His fist landing on his palm was what snapped everyone’s attention to him as he declared.

“I have a plan!”

The sighs around him were the typical reaction to every time Hyuk came up with one of these plans. They leaned closer to him as he spoke in a hushed voice, raising his index finger almost to prove a point.

“A sting operation.”

“Listen Sanghyuk, this is serious.” Hongbin glared at Sanghyuk who pursed his lips, his eyebrows furrowing.

“I know it is, but this is the only way we can confirm that the man is doing something that could sabotage company relations. We’ll send someone in as a client and then see how he behaves. You can give the entire meeting to him in fact. We’ll know for certain then.” Sanghyuk said, turning from Hongbin to Minah “I trust you can put on a disguise for it.”

“Hey hey, why am I getting involved in this sting operation business? Hakyeon will need me to be at his division, so leave me out of this. You’re the one who put me in there for an extra week.” Minah exclaimed as she vigorously poked the Human Resources head as Haneul watched the three now squabbling over this, a thought occurred to her.

“Have we decided on what we’re doing for Hakyeon though?” causing the three to turn around and gape at her.

“Haneul. Priorities.” Hongbin said as Haneul shook her head.

“Priorities - Hakyeon leaving or firing kid on probation?”

“If you put it that way…” Hongbin mumbled but Sanghyuk’s brain buzzed furiously.

“You have to do it,” he said turning to Minah “you’re new and people in the office don’t know you yet.”

“Of course they do, Hongbin literally put me up for display.”

“They didn’t recognise you without your glasses.” Sanghyuk shrugged as Minah glared at him.

“So should we do a picnic?” Haneul asked Hongbin who rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

“Nah, that will make too much of a ruckus with the office. Also it seems like a school field trip.”

“What the hell Sanghyuk, I know I signed up for almost anything but I am NOT walking in as a heiress to the GDU Group. What is the GDU Group? Did you make that up?” Minah argued as Sanghyuk shook his head, standing up to leave as Minah stood up to follow him, still outraged.

“How about a properly organized MT? And we’ll give him twenty six birthday gifts over the day?” Haneul put in as Hongbin nodded, agreeing that it was a good idea. Looking up, he noticed the youngest two had disappeared.

Taekwoon on the other hand bumped into Sanghyuk who was now following a pouty and sulky Minah saying “Listen, you’d look beautiful in it, you just need to wear it, walk in and do your bit and walk out! I’ll even book that nice meeting room. Just please dress up all pretty and come won’t you.”

Taekwoon didn’t particularly understand what was going on, but he didn’t like it one bit. He was going to have to investigate what this meeting was all about. He grabbed a cup of coffee and followed the two of them out. Haneul exchanged a look with Hongbin before breaking into a grin.

“If you are thinking what I think you are thinking then I am not getting involved. No wonder he calls you Monster” Hongbin said shaking his head.

 “But you know that BossCat likes Duckling. He just needs a gentle nudge” Haneul insisted. “No he doesn't. He is an adult who will figure his feelings out. You on the other hand have work to do for Hakyeon” Hongbin reminded her. Haneul pouted, mentally deciding to trouble Taekwoon later. “Also speaking of figuring things out, you shouldn't leave Jaehwan and Wonshik hanging either” Hongbin said with a winning smile. He laughed as Haneul protested causing hearts to melt across the room.

Meanwhile Taekwoon frowned, closing the door to his office that he had just opened (which Jaehwan noticed as suspiciously cat like behaviour for the next set of doodles) and walked towards the HR department instead. As suspected he found Minah and Sanghyuk in his office. Minah’s hands were folded in exasperation while Sanghyuk was making puppy eyes at her. “I thought harassment was against HR policies. Why are you harassing Minah?” Taekwoon asked.

“Why can't I harass Minah?” Sanghyuk asked, only to receive a whack from Minah.

 “You're not supposed to harass anyone” she told him. Sanghyuk smiled sheepishly.

“Which brings me back to my previous question. Why are you harassing Minah?” Taekwoon asked.

“I'm asking her to help me out” Sanghyuk told him.

“With what?” Taekwoon asked.

 “Top secret” Sanghyuk said, zipping his lip.

Minah just sighed and facepalmed. “Sanghyuk wants me to act as a rich heiress and a potential client to find out if Song Jungkook has been sabotaging client relations. A sort of sting operation” Minah explained. Taekwoon gave Sanghyuk a look.

 “That's the stupidest idea I have ever heard” he told Sanghyuk. “Why does everyone keep saying that? It might be the only way to find out how he behaves with clients. And have my plans in the past ever failed?” he asked gesturing to Minah. “I even got two people together” he added, holding up the wedding invite from earlier.

“You're not harassing Minah for this. If you want I'll talk to Jungkook” Taekwoon told him. Sanghyuk raised an eyebrow sceptically. He stood up and checked Taekwoon out, taking an entire circle around him. “This could actually work” he said, nodding to himself.

 “I don't even know anymore” Minah said to herself as Taekwoon hit Sanghyuk on his shoulder. “Just trust me on this!” Sanghyuk said, dragging Taekwoon out of this office and god knows where. Minah just blinked wondering why she worked for this place. She nearly screamed when Sanghyuk came back and dragged her along too. What in the world was happening in his head?

--

“Jungkook” Hongbin called, trying to hide the exasperation in his voice. Haneul had died of laughter at the plan while Wonshik had to placate a troubled Hakyeon who had protested to Minah’s involvement. But Jaehwan had suddenly been inspired for more Boss Cat comics and the group had gotten busy with that instead. Hongbin was probably the only one who was cringing from the awkwardness at the entire affair.

“Yes boss?” Jungkook asked. Hongbin smiled his business smile. “I have a couple of clients coming in at 11 for a business meeting. It's kind of impromptu but it will be good business to get a marketing partnership with them” he explained. Truthfully he had forgotten everything Sanghyuk had cooked up so he settled just for making them important. “You want me to accompany you for the meeting?” Jungkook asked him. “I am busy so I was actually hoping you take the lead on this one” Hongbin lied.

He could tell that the marketing team was confused by his decision. Everyone had definitely heard the rumours and if these clients were this important then why was their boss trusting him? “Really?” Jungkook asked, surprised himself.

“Yes. I have booked the large conference room on the 2nd floor. Important clients you see. Be ready to receive them at 11 and then for the meeting” he told him before leaving.

“I won't let you down boss!” Jungkook replied. Hongbin cringed internally. This was going to be horribly awkward.

“This is going to be very awkward” Minah complained.

 “This is madness” Taekwoon agreed. It was forty minutes past ten in the morning and the two of them were sitting in a rented Mercedes car around the block from the office.

“You can do it. You just have to act like you are rich heirs from that drama” Sanghyuk assured them.

“I don't pay you for this nonsense” Taekwoon growled.

“You actually don't. I assign my own salary and Hakyeon is the one who finds the money” Sanghyuk told him. He exclaimed loudly when he got hit again. “No hitting the driver!” he reminded them.

“This is madness” Minah said again when Hongbin texted them saying the meeting had been set up.

A rather elaborate plot had been set up. Minah and Taekwoon were to play a rich couple poised to inherit a large conglomerate. Chaebols in essence of the word, who were looking for a happening young company to advertise for them. They were supposed to act rich and spoilt and Sanghyuk had ensured so by making Minah dress up in a dress and heels and all made up like a doll. He had also gotten Taekwoon to dye his hair brown (only because he had been thinking about trying it out for a while) and had his hair up making him look like a model in a dark grey business suit. Minah screamed internally at the sight. Taekwoon looked the part.

“All you have to do is remember this.  You both are going to be owners of the GDU group. It's a very successful company. And you both have been born rich. In fact your families instantly disliked each other because you were competitors but love prevailed. And now you've been happily married for two years and are expecting a child” Sanghyuk told them.

“What the hell. Do I look pregnant to you?” Minah yelled. “I have a solution to that” he told her, throwing a small cushion over to the back. Minah hit him with the same pillow. All of a sudden a hand pulled him out. No one had noticed Taekwoon get out and come over to the driver’s side. Taekwoon held Sanghyuk up by his collar.

“I was only kidding” Sanghyuk said weakly. Taekwoon silently dropped him on the sidewalk before getting in and driving off. “I need coffee” was the only explanation offered as Minah turned back to see Sanghyuk waving his hands about and yelling after them. “A new Starbucks opened up three blocks away” she told Taekwoon. Both of them just silently agreed not to talk about this anymore.

--

Hongbin and Haneul seemed to be the only ones who cared about actually planning Hakyeon’s birthday out. Jaehwan said he was working on some banner for Hakyeon’s birthday and Wonshik simply shrugged and said he had no idea. But with Sanghyuk causing enough drama in the office, there was not a single moment to sit down and figure things out. Haneul had gotten everyone to agree to the idea of doing an office outing in Hakyeon’s honor. Maybe even extending it over the whole day or two where they could start off by looking at the sunrise (something Hakyeon really liked doing) and ending it with a bonfire and relaxing after a day of fun and frolic (also something Hakyeon enjoyed). Maybe they could take an early bus to the closest hill station, watch the sun rise, have some fun activities arranged, and then stay the night there and come back. Wonshik said he had a few contacts for that so it could be done easily and with the least amount of expense to the company.

“What about the twenty six gifts over the day idea?” Hongbin asked, sighing at the three who now sat across him in his cubicle. He could see the curious faces from around peeking at them making him roll his eyes.

“Well, Haneullie and I can go pick stuff up. I can even design a few doodles for him and get them printed out on different things.” Jaehwan piped up as Wonshik raised his hand.

“Yes Wonshik, this isn’t a classroom you know?” Hongbin chuckled.

“I can go with Haneul while Jaehwan arranges for the doodles and stuff to be printed. I mean that would take up time. Plus you have your Jungkook to deal with.” Wonshik said, making Jaehwan pout.

“I want to spend time with Haneul.”

“As do I, but Hakyeon’s stuff is priority here.” Wonshik replied.

“You know what, you figure the MT out, Jaehwan can do the doodle and printing, Hongbin can deal with this whole...uh...mess that Sanghyuk is creating. And I will go and buy stuff for Hakyeon.”

“They threw me out of the car and drove away!” Sanghyuk squealed, storming into the cubicle which was now extremely cramped. Sometimes Hongbin wished he had an office to just deal with these idiots.

“Wait, what?” Haneul asked turning to Sanghyuk.

“Taekwoon and Minah threw me out of the car when I told them she was to be pregnant with his child and now they’ve driven off somewhere.” Sanghyuk grumbled as Wonshik shook his head and Jaehwan laughed.

“No they drove off! You idiot.” Hongbin growled, slowly losing faith in Sanghyuk’s sanity.

“Sit down and help us plan Hakyeon’s birthday now that your sting operation is bound to fail.” Jaewhan said, patting at the tiny spot left on Hongbin’s table which Sanghyuk squeezed into.

“Are we really going to do this?” Taekwoon asked Minah.

“Not as elaborately as Sanghyuk hoped. Maybe we can just go in and I can go back to work while you take the meeting time to talk to Jungkook?” Minah suggested.

“Seems like a plan. Maybe I will call Hongbin as well” Taekwoon agreed. They nodded, picking up their coffee cups and getting out of the car. They went up to the fourth floor where the office was located and Taekwoon stopped by the receptionist to ask her where Hongbin was.

“You must be Mr and Mrs Im” Jungkook said spotting the pair. “I was worried but I understand that traffic is horrible in the area. Please come along. We've set up the meeting room on the 5th floor” Jungkook told them. He ushered them along before the receptionist could point that it was in fact his boss and colleague and not a client. Minah shared a look with Taekwoon who was just as perplexed.  

“It would be good if you can tell your clients apart from boss and colleagues” Taekwoon said when Jungkook stopped talking. Minah pitied the guy because he just seemed nervous at having to deal with important clients. “I’m not your client. In fact I'm the CEO and Minah works in the division right next to yours” Taekwoon told him.  

“It's an honest mistake really. You must have thought we looked like someone else” Minah said, stepping in because Taekwoon had looked really intimidating at the moment. Taekwoon wanted to say something but Minah tugged at his sleeve and shook her head slightly.

“Mr and Mrs Im have cancelled the appointment. I'm sorry you had to waste your time” Taekwoon told him before walking away.

Jungkook nodded and turned to Minah worriedly. “I am so sorry. I really thought both of you were a rich chaebol couple from the way you were dressed. You even had matching coffee cups!” Jungkook apologised. “That's because it's Starbucks. Everything is the same coffee cup” she laughed.

“So you just went out to get coffee with the boss?” he asked, a little confused. “It's a long story” she said with a facepalm. “Okay…” he said warily and she instantly knew there would be rumours and trouble now “let’s just say that we happened to see each other in the same coffee shop. That is all.”As if she wasn't teased enough by the group.

Jungkook nodded to her before leaving just in time to hold the door for Hakyeon who walked up to her fuming and whispered “Why did you not tell me that you are pregnant with Taekwoon’s child? And why are you drinking caffeine? That is bad for babies!”

Minah was going to kill Sanghyuk. Turning to Hakyeon she hissed “Do I look like I have any relationship with the CEO of this company? Let alone have his baby? Also, do I really look pregnant?!” she began undoing the scarf around her neck which Sanghyuk had insisted she wear for the more ‘classy’ look (which she declared made her look like an old lady). Hakyeon eyed her and shrugged.

“Well, you guys did look like a couple when you tugged at his sleeve and shook your head. And Sanghyuk told me...you were pregnant.” he mumbled as she shot him another glare, now choosing to look for the makeup wipes in her bag to wipe the dolly gunk off her face. That was when the door flew open again and in walked Lee Joon with his slimy lizard face.  

“Ah, always wonderful to walk into a lovely sight,” he said grinning as he approached Minah who cringed at his voice “did Hongbin tell you I was coming in today?” he asked, completely ignoring Hakyeon’s fierce glares in his direction.

“Uh, unfortunately, he didn’t.” Minah said, as the inner office door flew open again and Hongbin came out with his business smile on.

“Ah Mr Lee, glad you could make it, do have a seat I will be with you in just a second.” he said, indicating to Joon to take a seat as he  gave Minah a look over and turned to Hakyeon and her “so apparently Jungkook is a good kid and the reason that meeting didn’t go too well was actually because of Changhun getting up to go to the toilet multiple times. I’m glad you didn’t go through with that sting operation.” he whispered as the two sighed in relief.  

“Will Minah be joining us?” Joon asked from his seat as the office door was gently pushed open again and Taekwoon walked out, still in his Chaebol glory looking a little awkward only to straighten up when he caught sight of Lee Joon.

“Mr Lee.”

“Mr Jung.”

Joon was nearly half a foot shorter than him and Joon could only dream of intimidating Taekwoon. He looked up at Taekwoon who now stood next to Minah as they held matching coffee cups and wore matching grey clothing almost like they had planned on it.

“Unfortunately, Minah has to work in my department, so she will not be joining you for your meeting.” Hakyeon piped up, ending the glaring match between Taekwoon and Joon as Minah stood looking around rather confused.

The door flew open for the millionth time and Minah was ready to whack the person walking in, which was Sanghyuk (all the more reason for her to want to kill him). As he loudly and proudly declared

“Everyone please keep your weekend free! In honor of Hakyeon’s birthday we are going on an MT!”


Hi! We're at our crack best, so this happened <3

We're also declared war on each other, so prepare yourselves for a crack-filled MT experience :D

 

- Ryukai