21

Tales of a Consulting Firm

 

 

“Are all meetings with New Age Robotics always like this?” Hongbin stage whispered to Jongkook.

“Not this level of dramatic, no” Jongkook whispered in reply. The two men smiled professionally at the Marketing Head who had briefly turned to them, looking very impressed by whatever Haneul was saying.

To be honest,  no one had any idea what Haneul was saying but she looked very cool while saying it because of the black sunglasses she was wearing.

Hongbin chuckled to himself as he remembered the group chat from last night. He cleared his throat to hide when Haneul shot him a look.

"Like I was saying, our final proposition should be to include search engine optimization to improve the quality of content and increase the page rank of your website to increase traction. Coupled with the new parallax technology we should be able to deliver a dynamic platform that accurately represents the cutting edge work your company does" she concluded.

"Perfect! Everything we had hoped for. Didn't I say that VIXX Consultancies was very good at what it does?" the client said.

"We strive to do our best" Jongkook replied politely. Haneul nodded curtly (too much movement made her head ache).

"That decides it for us then. We'd like to officially sign you on. I believe we can start negotiating the terms" the Marketing Head said. "We'll email you our official proposal and invoice" Hongbin said. Greetings were exchanged and the clients left soon after.

"I'll start drafting the proposal for review" Jongkook suggested. "Thank you for all your help Haneul!" he said with a smile. Haneul gave him a weak thumbs up as he left. She sighed and adjusted her sunglasses.

"No" she said when she saw Hongbin smirk at her. "I don't know you. Heck, I don't know me. I don't exist. Don't talk to me. Don't look at me. Don't breathe in my direction" she said, leaving the room before Hongbin could say anything.

"Are you okay?" Taekwoon asked her as he passed by her in the hallway. "Don't breathe in my direction. K. Thanks" she said dismissively before walking off to the pantry. Taekwoon raised an eyebrow as Hongbin passed by him too, grinning as if he had won the lottery. He started to walk towards his office before sighing and turning around and following after Haneul and Hongbin, praying no one died in the process.

 

"Haneul. Haneullie. Hannie" Hongbin sang while poking Haneul who had curled up in a corner.

"Do you want to die?" Taekwoon chuckled when Haneul glared at Hongbin  (from under the sunglasses).

"I wanted to know details. It seems that Haneul had an interesting night" Hongbin told him. Taekwoon rolled his eyes before getting some ginger lemon tea for her. Haneul looked up in surprise when he placed the cup in front of her. "Ginger helps" he said with a shrug.

"Who in their right mind gets drunk on a weeknight?" he asked, sitting across her. "Screw you. I was just about to say I like you" Haneul grumbled, taking the cup all the same.

"I swear that Jaehwan, Wonshik and you together are a dangerous combination" he said.

"Do you remember the time all three of you laughed so hard you fell down and sprained a foot?" Hongbin asked, laughing at the memory. Haneul groaned and buried her head. "I don't even remember what you were laughing about" he added.

"I remember the time the three of them got lost on the Seoul subway station despite all of them individually knowing the way" Taekwoon said with a frown.

"And the time the three of you almost poisoned all of us despite Haneul being the best at cooking amongst us all" Hongbin remembered with a frown.

"Are we embarrassing Haneul?" Sanghyuk asked as he sat down at the table. He took the sunglasses from her and put them on causing her to scowl.

"No, we are just discussing the crazy things she does with Jaehwan and Wonshik" Hongbin told him.

"Did we miss the story?" Hakyeon asked, sitting next to Taekwoon who was awkwardly patting Haneul’s head. The two had been looking for Jaehwan and had ended up at the pantry.

"You've lived through them. Remember the Chocolate Incident from 2013?" Sanghyuk said. The entire group sighed collectively while Haneul whimpered in actual pain from the memory.

"Oh hey you guys I have... Is Haneul okay?" Minah asked, looking at her in concern. She looked at Taekwoon who frowned at the others.

"We're discussing Haneul’s drunk stories. She's just dying from embarrassment" Sanghyuk replied. At this statement Haneul’s head shot up.

“Can you please not do this? Minah is the only person who thinks I am cool. Let it stay that way!” Haneul flailed.

“I saw you fangirl over Super Junior and you called me yesterday asking if you could marry me” Minah reminded her. The group burst into laughter.

“You should have really taken me up on that offer” Haneul pouted, latching onto Minah’s arm. She stuck her tongue out at Taekwoon who just smiled at how Minah patted Haneul’s head in consolation. The moment however was interrupted by Jaehwan who had stumbled into the pantry with his hair sticking up at weird angles.

“Looks like someone had a rough night” Hakyeon commented.

“Marriages aren't easy huh?” Sanghyuk laughed.

“Please don't talk about last night ever again” Jaehwan grumbled.

“We aren't interested in the details of your precious ‘secret night’ with Wonshik either” Hongbin said, referencing the one weird song that had become popular some time ago.

“Nothing of any sort happened” Jaehwan scowled. He sulked while trying to fix his hair.

“Where is your lovely husband though?” Hakyeon asked.

“He should be here soon. He went to the pharmacy across the street for some aspirin” Jaehwan replied before protesting. “He is not my husband!” he protested belatedly.

“Don’t break his heart like this” Sanghyuk said dramatically.

“Speaking of hearts, does anyone want to go watch Sunbae Notice Me with me? I couldn't watch it because of these two!” Hakyeon asked.

“You didn't miss anything. It was a horrible movie” Sanghyuk told him.

“Absolutely gross. Such PDA. I wanted to spray water on the couple to give them some chill” Hongbin said, annoyed at the memory.

“Are you going to be my koala all day today?” Minah asked while Hakyeon furiously debated with Sanghyuk and Hongbin.

“Yes” Haneul said while holding onto her. Minah shook her head with a smile while she watched Taekwoon comfort a sulky Jaehwan.

“Wonshik is here! Quick everyone, say congratulations to the newlyweds” Sanghyuk declared. Everyone started to sing the congratulations song causing the three hungover people to protest and grimace. Wonshik silently headed over to Jaehwan, enveloping him in a back hug and resting his head on his shoulder.

“Gross. Hand me Haneul’s tea” Hongbin said, reaching out for the cup but getting his hand swatted away by her. Haneul detached herself from Minah to protect her precious lemon tea and stomped on Hongbin's foot who exclaimed in pain.

“Now that everyone is here I want to know what Haneul did this time around” Sanghyuk said excitedly.

“She officiated our drunk ‘wedding’” Jaehwan reminded them making air quotes with his fingers.

“Convinced us to get married in the first place” Wonshik added.

“Wasn't the permanent marker for a ring her idea too?” Jaehwan asked rubbing at the black ink around his ring finger.

“Yup. The ink will take a few days to go” he said pushing Jaehwan's hand away before he rubbed his finger raw.

"What were you thinking?" Minah asked, laughing at the irony. This was one way of resolving a love triangle, she supposed.

"Haneul doesn't think while drunk. And this isn't even the craziest thing she has done" Hakyeon told Minah.

"One time, we got drunk and bought tickets for an SNSD concert" he remembered.

"That doesn't sound so bad" Minah said.

"The concert was in Japan" Hakyeon deadpanned.

"I didn't think we'd actually get the tickets!" Haneul said defensively.

"Like the time you didn't think you could actually hit the high note at that noraebang but you did and it was so awful we got kicked out?" Hongbin asked her.

"Says the person who was enjoying singing more than me" Haneul grumbled, her face already pink from the embarrassment. "You were the one who wanted to go to a noraebang and sing Park Hyoshin songs!"

"But I do that while being sober too!"

"I'm never drinking with any of you again" she grumbled.

"You said that the last time you went drinking with me" Sanghyuk said with a smug grin.

"Oh yeah. We never got to know what happened that night" Hakyeon mused.

"Shut up" Haneul threatened him.

"You already deleted my anime collection so you have no leverage" he said proudly.

"How bad can it be? Did you get an embarrassing tattoo?" Minah asked.

"Wow. How did you know?" Sanghyuk asked in surprise.

"You have a tattoo?" Wonshik asked Haneul who looked like she could die.

"Where?" Jaehwan asked in surprise.

"What is it?" Hakyeon asked, wanting to know more.

"Not telling" Haneul said, burying her head in Minah’s shoulder.

"It's a white ink tattoo and it's on her - oof" Sanghyuk started only to receive a punch in the stomach from Taekwoon who just cleared his throat.

"We don't want to know" he said, ending that discussion. The group let it go, considering how scary Taekwoon looked while frowning.

"You don't happen to have a story do you?" Sanghyuk asked him.

"We just had a normal drink together and talked about life" Taekwoon said with a shrug. Haneul nodded vigorously.

"And she declared that my life was very sad and that the least she could do was cook for me, so we went grocery shopping" he continued.

"God why!" Haneul cursed her fate. She raised her hand to cover Taekwoon’s mouth who just held her at an arm's length as he continued.

"She was so drunk that she forgot the word 'chicken' and kept referring to it as the egg's mother" he told the group which erupted into laughter.

"And then she cried in the middle of the poultry aisle because the eggs would never see their mother" he said.

"Stop already" Haneul protested, making no progress against the hand holding her at bay.

"Then she declared that her own life was sadder now and dragged me along to a pet cafe across the street because it was puppy therapy day. That's how Amber met us" he told Minah.

"I see" Minah said, between laughs.

"Haneul wanted to adopt every pet and become their mother so that atleast someone in her lifetime would have a parent. It was a tragic affair" Taekwoon narrated with a straight face.

"I hope you know how much I hate you" Haneul said that.

"I think you said the exact opposite when you insisted on buying me bundles and bundles of spring onions on our way home that night" he remembered, laughing at how Haneul was flailing.

"Is that why she ate spring onions in everything for a week back in March last year?" Hakyeon asked. Taekwoon nodded while Haneul just buried her head on the table. Life just wasn't fair to her today. It wasn’t just that everyone was making fun of her, Minah had rejected her marriage proposal and her call had been abruptly ended by some strange male voice which she barely remembered, maybe it was the hot brother.

“Well, I was saying that I have a surprise for you guys…” Minah said as she pulled her phone out of her pocket “but apparently your surprise is already here.”

“What surprise?” Hakyeon asked, his eyes rounding.

“Injungie wanted to give everyone their Valentine’s Day cards, so she decided to come have lunch with me.”

“Are you saying that Injungie is here?!” Wonshik gaped at Minah who nodded as Haneul picked up her tea, took a deep sip before sprinting out of the break room to ‘greet her beloved Injungie before stupid Jung Taekwoon did’. There was a moment of silence before she came rushing back in, cringing at the sudden movement.

“There’s a hot man with her who isn’t your brother. He looks like a long noodle.”

“Of course Minseokie sent Poophead,” Minah sighed before turning to the group “I’ll be right back.”

“Poophead?” Taekwoon echoed as Minah left the room as Sanghyuk patted his shoulder.

“The hot cousin she calls a Poop.”

“Why is he the hot cousin? Why can’t be just be the cousin who looks like a noodle?” Jaehwan grumbled to Wonshik who nodded only to get distracted with Minah re-entered the room with a tall handsome looking fellow and Injung hurtling in and latching onto Taekwoon’s leg as he automatically bent to pick her up.

“I got cards!” she declared happily.

“I brought an Injung.” the cousin piped up, turning everyone’s attention to him.

“Everyone, this is my cousin Oh Sehun.” Minah introduced as Sehun shot everyone a smile , flicking his bangs back.

“A pleasure to meet you all. I’ve heard so much about everyone here.”

“We just found out about your existence.” Wonshik whispered, only to have Hongbin elbow him in the gut to hush him up.

“Injungie insisted we buy cake for everyone,” Sehun said brandishing a box of cake as Minah sighed at Injung and took it from Sehun “we also got you lunch.”

“Of course you did. The cake was totally Injung’s idea and not your’s to seem cool in front of my friends.” Minah smiled as Sehun shot her a look.

“It was Injung’s idea.” he turned to the group, delivering a blinding smile as he put his arm around Minah’s shoulder and gave her a firm squeeze that made Taekwoon’s eyebrow twitch.

“Boooooppy nooosse!” Injung was already distracted by Sanghyuk who was now having his nose squished as Haneul cringed at the sound, but at the same time couldn’t help but smile as Injung reached out to ‘Aunty Haneullie’ for a hug.

Sehun very coolly walked around as they settled back down for lunch with Injung sitting between Haneul and Taekwoon.

“Are you going to sit down?” Minah rolled her eyes as Sehun paused, dragging a chair before flipping it around and sitting down. Minah giggled, her cousin often tried very hard to be liked even though he wasn’t very difficult to get along with.

“I’m not sure if he knows that we know that she calls him a Poop.” Jaehwan whispered to Hakyeon who chuckled.

“So have you finally settled down?” Minah asked, unpacking her lunch as Injung clambered onto her lap.

“By that do you mean that I’ve gotten a girlfriend? I have far too many…” Sehun began as Minah rolled her eyes.

“No, I meant at your new place.”

“Oh. Yeah, it’s pretty nice.” he shrugged as Injung reached over to grab Haneul’s hand.

“Aunty Haneul could you please tell me a story after this! About Minnie and Daeguni!”

Sehun’s eyebrows shot up to look at Minah who nearly choked on the rice she had just put in before he noticed Taekwoon’s cheeks turn pink.

“Good job.” he commented as the rest of group tried to hold back a laugh and Hakyeon patted Minah’s back.

“I agree.” Haneul said turning to Sehun as Wonshik and Jaehwan frowned.

“Is that a limited edition One Piece badge on your backpack?!” Sanghyuk piped up as Sehun turned around to see Sanghyuk eyeing the backpack on the floor. Jaehwan and Wonshik peered at it too as Sehun nodded, picking it up.

“Yeah, got it during one of my stints in Japan.” Sehun said as the men now scrambled around to look at it like it was a national treasure. Taekwoon sighed, glad to see the attention off them as Minah fed Injung and herself.

“Do you want me to feed her?” he asked as Injung nodded making Minah chuckle.

“If you don’t mind.” she said as she nudged Injung’s lunch box to Taekwoon as Injung simply turned towards Taekwoon while still seated on Minah’s lap.

“I should have offered.” Haneul grumbled as Taekwoon smirked at her. All this while, Sehun was being promoted to the position of “you’re my best friend!”

“So you travel a lot?” Hakyeon asked as Sehun nodded.

“Yeah, job requires me to. That’s why I moved closer to the airport.” he shrugged.

“It’s cause Minseokkie wanted you to learn how to live on your own.” Minah smirked at him as Sehun glared at her “and because it’s closer to your agency.”

“Oh my god, he’s a model.” Haneul hissed to Taekwoon as he shrugged at continued to feed Injung.

“Agency? You’re a model?” Hongbin asked as Sehun looked at him with a grin.

“No, but I’d offer you a job at our agency. I work as a photographer.”

Minah held back a laugh “You, a model? But Minseok told me you were leaving for Jeju tomorrow for a shoot?”

“Yeah, going to be there for three days. This shoot is going to be hectic. I was really hoping I could go ziplining there, it’s supposed to be fun.”

"This time of the year? You'll get hailed on." Hakyeon said as the rest of the group nodded, they had gone to Jeju together on their first year anniversary of running the company and they had picked the wrong time to go there. There was a collective grunt from the group as Sehun and Minah looked at them, baffled.

"I swear, the hail damaged my face during that zipline." Jaehwan sighed as he pouted.

"It damaged your brain." Sanghyuk commented, trying to steal food from Minah’s box, only to get his hand swatted away.

"Hey!" Jaehwan frowned at Sanghyuk

"Reduced you to a permanent 5 year old." Hongbin commented as Jaehwan suddenly found himself feeling very attacked.

"I'm surprised it didn't destroy Hongbin's face. Thank god, we'd have lost a lot of business." Hakyeon commented, making Wonshik laugh.

“If this is you looking bad, I’d hate to see what you looked like before the hail” Sehun snorted.

“Oh he was positively divine” Sanghyuk said.

“True art work” Wonshik put in. He was hungover but when was anyone too hungover to praise Hongbin’s beauty?

“I hate all of you” he said, trying not to cringe very hard.

“I think Uncle Hongbin is very pretty” Injung said.

“Well, if a pretty lady says I am pretty then I must be very pretty” Hongbin said with a smile towards the child.

“Oh I see how it is! You’re pretty if Injung says but not if we, your friends for ages, since practically forever, make the same claim!” Sanghyuk gasped.

“Don’t make me come over to you and physically harm you” Hongbin said gritting his teeth and smiling dangerously.

“You both are such a married couple” Sehun laughed.

“You don’t even know half of it” Hakyeon grumbled.

“There have been the most interesting stories” Jaehwan told Sehun conspiratorially. From the side, Minah voiced her assent as she watched over Taekwoon attempt to get Injung’s attention.

“I have quite a few to tell too” Sehun said smugly as he looked at Taekwoon and Minah playing with Injung. Minah glared at him.

“I don’t think anything beats Haneul’s adven-” Sanghyuk started, only to have Haneul hit him in the mouth to silence him.

“Ow what the hell?” he grumbled.

“Has Haneul ever taken someone over to a puppy cafe for a date on Valentine’s Day?” Sehun asked, in a not so subtle teasing manner.

“She took someone to a puppy cafe alright. It was Taekwoon and both of them were drunk. One person more than the othe-  HEY!” Hongbin cried as Haneul hit him too.

“Is a puppy cafe your go to place for dates?” Sehun asked Taekwoon who only glared at him. Minah wanted to kick him in the shin but ended up kicking Hongbin instead.

“It wasn’t a date! It just happened to be Valentine’s Day!” Minah hissed.

“You don’t have to kick me too! Geez” Hongbin muttered darkly.

“Yeah! Don’t injure the precious art work!” Jaehwan yelled.

“The eagle is down, the eagle is down!” Wonshik said, pretending to be a frantic bodyguard attempting to help Hongbin. He had dark sunglasses on and with his fingers on a pretend ear piece, he certainly looked the part.

“You’re squishing me!” Hakyeon complained. He happened to be sitting between Wonshik and Hongbin and he was starting to regret the seating arrangement.

“I’m just being assaulted from every direction!” Hongbin yelled as Sanghyuk and Jaehwan hugged him in an attempt to save him from Haneul who was intent on landing a punch.

“Are all your friends this crazy?” Sehun asked Minah in surprise. Things had escalated quickly.

“You caught them on a good day” Minah said with a shrug. To be honest, they were always crazy but in a way that grew on a person

Sehun looked over to Taekwoon who was now showing Injung some pictures of cartoons on the phone. At least Minah had the sense to pick the normal one.

 

 

 


 

 

A/N - Most of Haneul's drunk adventures have been inspired by real life events (to be read as: stupid I did while drunk). All except the tattoo part.

While it is fun to read about in the story, please don't try it at home and do drink responsibly!

(Also, we kind of missed Ryukai's birthday on 26 March. So give her loads of love here!!!)