15

Tales of a Consulting Firm

Part one of a long day with babies :3


The idea for a 'bring your child to work’ day was approved almost instantly by Taekwoon. Thus the office was now set up to have children running around and the recreation room was filled with child friendly things and games. Taekwoon smiled, if Han Sanghyuk set to a task, he would make sure that he executed it in the most impeccable manner.

“I wonder how many of our employees even have kids though. A lot of them are quite young.” Hakyeon wondered out aloud as he doodled idly on a piece of paper and a wax crayon which Sanghyuk had arranged for in the recreation room.

“Some of them said they'd bring their nieces and nephews along just for the experience.” Hongbin said, sitting down beside Hakyeon and joining in on the doodling.

“And they said we were adults.” Haneul commented to Taekwoon as she eyed the two sitting by the table. That was when the door opened, and their attention was diverted to it. What they did see made their jaws drop.

It almost seemed like Minah had shrunk into the size of a five year old with the same full cheeks, wide eyes filled with curiosity, thick hair up in a tiny ponytail as she looked around the room as she turned away and tugged at someone’s arm yelling “MinnieEomma! Is this the room?”

“Injungie! Always knock before you enter okay?” Minah called out as she was dragged in by her look-alike and she looked around at the group with a sheepish grin.

“Sorry about Injung! I was just showing her the office. Come now, we’ll go and get you some water from the break room.”

“Could I please have a fizzy drink?” Injung asked as she followed Minah out.

Hakyeon turned to Taekwoon “SHE HAD YOUR BABY?!”

“She has a kid. She has a kid that looks terrifyingly like her.” Haneul gaped at the empty space Minah had occupied with Injung.

“Taekwoon, are you okay?” Hongbin asked tilting his head and looking at Taekwoon who looked a little lifeless. The door flew open as Wonshik burst in wide eyed.

“Why does Duckling have a kid and why did the kid just call me Uncle Wonshikkie ?!”

“What the hell is going on?” Hongbin mumbled, standing up from his seat as Hakyeon walked over to Taekwoon and waved his hand in front of his face.

“Are you surprised to see your kid here?”

“The child is five Hakyeon, Taekwoonie has known Minah for half a year at most. Maybe she is a single mother struggling to keep her job and family life together.” Haneul whispered.

“Makes sense, she took up the oddest job in the company.” Hakyeon hummed, deep in thought.

“ I mean she has always been rather private about her family. Maybe she left the kid with someone when we went for the MT. She struggles in silence!” Haneul waved her arms around dramatically. The conversation was disrupted when Sanghyuk came thundering into the room with Injung on his shoulders ducking as she clung onto his hair squealing.

“MinnieEomma he’s so tall!”

“He’s a large lump of human Injungie,” Minah chuckled as she followed the two in “you’re okay with this Sanghyuk?” she asked as Sanghyuk grinned back at her.

“Why does this kid look like his kid now?” Wonshik mumbled.

“I can see Taekwoon’s soul leave his body,” Hanuel commented “maybe it’s weird for him to see the baby of the company with a baby.”

“Wonder who the father of the child is. Because he has a ton of competition from that MT dude, Lizard and the Boss man.” Hongbin joined in on the conversation.

“YAH Han Sanghyuk! Don’t drop my niece!” Minah exploded as Sanghyuk danced around with Injung on his shoulders. Another silence filled the room.

“Taekwoon’s soul is back.” Hakyeon said knowing that everyone’s confusion had ended right there.

“Boopy nose!” Injung commented, poking Sanghyuk’s nose repeatedly much to his disappointment.

“I thought this would end in high school.” he whined as Jaehwan burst into the room.

“Why is there a rumour going around that Duckling has a kid? Oh my god Duckling has a cute kid!” he said staring at Injung who stared right back at him.

“MinnieEomma, is this uncle Jaehwannie?”

“Yes, you see his nose?” Minah laughed causing Injung to join along and giggle as Jaehwan proceeded to make funny faces.

“This is my niece actually, so no, I don’t have a kid.”

“Woah, how come she calls you ‘Eomma’ though?” Sanghyuk asked, still squatting on the ground as Injung squished his face.

“ I was staying at my brother’s place to help take care of her after she was born. She couldn’t pronounce my name, let alone the appropriate term for aunt. So she stuck to calling all the ladies in the house which was my sister-in-law Dambi, and myself - Eomma. Once she figured out the difference, she just added Minnie to my title and refuses to change titles.” Minah chuckled as Haneul fought the urge to squeal

“Injungie would you like to meet all of my friends?” Minah asked as Injung turned around with wide eyes and nodded with her hands still on Sanghyuk’s nose.

“Lord you’re just like your father,” Minah chuckled as she turned around to the others “sorry about rushing off, she said she wanted water. Injungie, say hi.”

Injung hurried over to her aunt, abandoning Sanghyuk to join her aunt.

“This is uncle Wonshik.” Minah pointed to Wonshik who made a flowerboy face causing Injung to laugh as Jaehwan joined him and added to the aegyo to outshine Wonshik “the other silly uncle is Jaehwan.” Injung giggled, she had found her fellow children in the company.

“You’ve met uncle Sanghyuk.”

“Boopy nose!”

“Uncle Boopy Nose then,” Minah chuckled and waved to Hakyeon “this is Grandma Hakyeon.”

“Hey!” Hakyeon protested.

“You’re the one who mothers me the most.”

“Good point.” Hakyeon conceded.

“This is aunty Haneul, she’ll read nice stories to you if you ask nicely.” Minah introduced Haneul who looked at the child with heart eyes.

“Really?” Injung’s eyes lit up and everyone was certain their hearts had melted.

“You’re her new favourite.” Minah chuckled as Haneul internally squealed and cheered.

Hongbin smiled at Injung and said “could I please be introduced to the pretty lady?” And Minah could see Injung gaping at the handsome man.

“I can see you appreciate abstract art Injungie. This is uncle Hongbin.”

Injung nodded, still gaping.

“Oh, so you think a Mini Minah is pretty, do you think a not Mini Minah is beautiful?” Sanghyuk nudged Hongbin who rolled his eyes as Sanghyuk shot Taekwoon a meaningful look making Taekwoon glare at him before looking down at Injung and smiling.

Except Injung had spotted the glare and was sufficiently terrified.

“Hello, I'm Taekwoon. What is your name?” He asked, gently squatting down to her level.

“MinnieEomma said not to tell our names to strangers.” Injung declared before turning to her aunt and asking her to pick her up. Minah did and looked at Taekwoon with a weak smile.

“Looks like she's scared of you” Minah said with a frown. Injung had successfully buried her head in her shoulder and refused to look at Taekwoon who looked confused and hurt by the rejection.

“Let's go get you something fizzy” Minah said in an attempt to cheer her up. Injung nodded, waving to the other when Minah carried her out of the room. The others exchanged looks of confusion.

“Well this is a plot twist” Haneul commented.

“This is a problem. BossMan can't marry Duckling if her very cute niece disapproves of him” Jaehwan agreed.

“But she was really cute though” Wonshik added and everyone instantly murmured in agreement.

“She isn't a shy child. She said hi to everyone. Including Hongbin and she clearly liked him” Hakyeon reasoned.

“That was so cute!! I think Injung is the best child I have ever seen” Haneul squealed.

“I think Haneul has a crush on Injung” Sanghyuk laughed.

“I will shamelessly admit it! I am going to win her heart and be her favourite for eternity. And also maybe convince Minah to let me take both of them out to zoo dates and aquariums and basically everywhere” Haneul declared childishly.  

“Was it just me or did Haneul act cute now” Wonshik asked Jaehwan who nodded in reply.

“And someone called Taekwoon a baby kidnapper just yesterday” Hongbin teased.

“Speaking of which, we must get to the bottom of the matter. Why did Injung dislike Taekwoon?” Hakyeon asked.

“Well it's clearly not because she thought he was more handsome than Hongbin” Sanghyuk said, only to get another glare from Taekwoon.

“Speak for yourself. My Taekwoon is handsome!” Hakyeon said, hugging the said man who could only roll his eyes.

“Please don't torture me like this” he replied glaring at Hakyeon.

“Well it's not like he has a scary voice” Wonshik put in. Jaehwan patted his back to console him.

“Maybe it's the panda eye bags” Hyuk said. “It gives you a very kidnapper like feel.”

“I am not a kidnapper” Taekwoon protested.

“Oh please. You only approved of the children's day plan so that you could stake out the cute ones and then kidnap them” Haneul reminded him.

“Actually that was Jaehwan mimicking Taekwoon” Wonshik reminded her and she went ‘oh’.

“Well maybe we can find out” Haneul said thoughtfully. “Let's see if I can steal Injung from Minah for story time and find out what is going wrong.”

“You just need an excuse to spend time with Injung” Hakyeon accused.

“Yes” Haneul agreed in an instant making everyone laugh. Well everyone except Taekwoon who pouted. Why didn't Injung like him?

“I will very soon be her favourite” Haneul decreed with a v pose. Taekwoon glared at her.

“Stop that! For all you know that's what scared Injung off” Hongbin said, shaking his head.