23

Tales of a Consulting Firm

"Sometimes I feel like every head in this office is a flower boy." Minah commented as she took a bite of her rice. All the heads at the table turned towards her. She blinked, as Haneul bit down on her lip to hold back a laugh. "I think you may have hurt some sentiments here." "But I mean look at them, they're all flower boys." Minah pointed out as Sanghyuk and Hongbin rolled their eyes before getting up and wrestling to get their blazers off.

"You've questioned our testosterone." Sanghyuk said lowly, shedding his jacket as Hongbin glared at her puffing himself up to show muscles underneath the white fabric of his shirt. "Okay boys, let's calm down and eat." Haneul squeaked, ever surprised by the existence of muscles on her colleagues.

Minah held back a laugh "yes yes, but I can also see the cherry blossom petals floating around you guys along with the sparkle of the main lead in a romance manhwa."

Sanghyuk slammed his hand down on the table rattling things on it catching the attention of Jaehwan and Wonshik who had just entered "We're all manly okay?!"

"Right." Minah continued nonchalantly eating as Wonshik stuck his head in between Sanghyuk and Hongbin.

"Who is questioning our manliness might I ask?"

"She is!" Hongbin and Sanghyuk pointed at Minah while Haneul mumbled

"By the way you guys are behaving, I'm inclined to agree with her."

"YOU THINK WE'RE NOT MANLY ENOUGH?!" Jaehwan exclaimed as Haneul cringed. "Yes, if this was a manhwa, you guys would be that F5 or whatever, but you'd be F6, because you're all pretty." Minah chewed delicately on a piece of spinach

"I can take my shirt off to prove otherwise,” Jaehwan wiggled his eyebrows at Haneul. "Oh Wonshikkie has a great body, Wonshikkie do it!" Which made Haneul flail because "NoI'vealreadyseenitthankyou!"

"What is all this noise here?" Hakyeon asked as Taekwoon lumbered in behind him. "Quick Taekwoon take your shirt off! Minah doesn't think you guys are manly enough!" Hanuel flailed.

"Oh," Hakyeon shrugged before setting his box down "I really don't have anything to prove."

"That's why you're the coolest Hakyeonie." Minah grinned as he beamed at her.

"Taekwoon. Shirt. Off. You have a point to prove!" Haneul flailed as Jaehwan and Wonshik frowned.

"Excuse me." Jaehwan called for her attention.

"What exactly is wrong with our bodies?" Wonshik's eyes narrowed.

“Seen Taekwoon half . I approve.” Hakyeon said through a mouthful of food. As the rest of the group eyed him. Sanghyuk took the opportunity to sit down next to Minah.

“What is your idea of manly then hmm?”

“Not you.”

“OUCH!” He groaned dramatically as Minah chuckled.

“No, you gotta tell me.” Sanghyuk asked again, tugging at Minah’s hand to prevent her from eating anymore and successfully making her grumpy.

“I am not taking my shirt off and that is final!” Taekwoon glared at Haneul.

“I gotta see what Hakyeon so vehemently approves of!”

“So do I!” Jaehwan leapt around as Taekwoon neck sliced him.

“You’ve gone swimming with me.”

“Oh yes, he is a hot body.” Hongbin said thoughtfully.

“Shut up.”

“You think Bang Yongguk is manly?!”Sanghyuk exclaimed causing everyone to turn towards Minah and him and blink.

“YES HE IS AND YOU CAN FIGHT ME ON THAT!” Haneul exclaimed as Minah nodded.

“See? My point exactly.”

“You think the leader of a kpop band is manly.” Hongbin gaped.

“You guys could be a kpop group. With a flower concept.” Minah stated, shutting her box with a snap.

“Have you not heard his voice though?” Haneul sighed.

“It's like a bullfrog.” Jaehwan blinked.

“You're just jealous that you're not as manly as him.” Haneul stuck her tongue out childishly.
Jaehwan frowned before looking Haneul dead in the eye and ing the top button of his shirt. Haneul screamed before hitting him with a carrot.
“I think I could imitate his deep voice” Hongbin said trying it out.
“You mean like this bro?” Wonshik asked, with a gruff voice.
“Yeah bro” Hongbin replied, hitting octaves lower. Wonshik chuckled while Haneul just shook her head and said “boys”.

“I could probably go deeper” Sanghyuk said in a very bad impression of Darth Vader’s voice.
“I am your father Luke” Hakyeon imitated.
“Don’t you mean mother?” Sanghyuk teased.
“Finally! My child acknowledges me!” Hakyeon exclaimed.
“You should celebrate by taking Sanghyuk to the next screening of Sunbae Notice Me” Minah prompted.
“NO” Hongbin yelled out in horror.

“It wasn’t that bad! I already saw it with Taekwoon! It was funny” Hakyeon told them.
“Was it because you lost a dare?” Jaehwan asked Taekwoon.
“The movie was the dare by Haneul” Taekwoon whispered. It had been an attempt by her to get him to ask Minah out for a movie. But Taekwoon had chickened out at the last moment and ended up asking Hakyeon who had been passing by.

“You’ve started chaos” Hakyeon said, leaning over to talk to Minah so she could hear him. Jaehwan had managed to get Hongbin and Sanghyuk into doing bad Star Wars impression. Sanghyuk was humming the Empire’s theme while Wonshik was imitating Leia asking Obi Wan “Ken”-obi for help.
“Yeah. But still! I stand by my flower boys theory” Minah said.
“And by the looks of it, the rest of the staff agrees” Haneul said, looking around at the other people in the pantry.
“Okay break it up everyone” Taekwoon said. The boys frowned but didn't question it. Jaehwan whined but got distracted by Hakyeon who had important matters to discuss with him. Minah followed Wonshik out who insisted he could imitate Yongguk.

“Oh hey wait” Haneul started when she reached her desk. She had completely forgotten to take the set of documents from Taekwoon. She skipped down the hallway, wondering if she could convince Taekwoon to take Minah out to the new Japanese restaurant near her place.
A strange voice stopped her before knocking. Haneul gasped and pushed the door open.
“Are you practicing your deep voice so that you seem manlier to Minah?!” Haneul exclaimed.
“Haneul, don’t you ever knock?” Taekwoon asked with a frown.

“I knew it” she said, closing the door behind her. “Why don't you just admit you like her and ask her out like a normal man?”
“Don’t you have work to do? Why do I employ you?” Taekwoon asked, flicking her forehead.
“As your practical sister I just want you to be happy in life. Marry Minah and have like an army of cute babies” Haneul said with a sigh.
“Minah isn’t a baby producing machine. And also no” Taekwoon said with a sigh.
“Well yeah she isn't. But I like imagining that i have an army of small cute Injung to play with and read to” Haneul said so.
“Go volunteer at an orphanage. They always need help there” Taekwoon told her. Haneul nodded thoughtfully.
“For now, please get out of my office. Go do some work or else I’m demoting you to a part-timer and reducing your pay.”

 

Haneul grumbled​ as she shut the door behind her. There was a sudden silence in the office that made her a little suspicious. Peeking over the cubicles, she noted that only Hakyeon was back in his office, typing away furiously. She headed straight over to his office and peeked in.
"Yeonie, where is everyone?"
"Not sure, but I heard something about a who has the deeper voice competition." Hakyeon shrugged as he continued peering into sheets of paper and his desktop screen. He paused, before standing up and looking at Haneul.
It clicked.
"Oh dear god." Haneul hissed as Hakyeon joined her in their hurried steps towards the Admin department. Specifically to Minah's cubicle.

“Baybehh.” Sanghyuk burped in his attempt to make his voice go lower as Minah held back a laugh.

“Stop laughing. We're trying to prove a point.” Wonshik's deep voice attempted to go deeper causing her to chuckle.

“Why don't you go and find a place with better acoustics?” Minah countered.

“Because you're the one we're trying to prove a point to.” Hongbin replied, deepening his voice so much that Minah could barely hear him.

“Hello Hakyeon, Hello Haneul.” Jaehwan pressed his chin to his neck in another attempt to make his voice deeper than usual. Haneul sighed.

“Someday you guys will get fired by Taekwoon.”

“Please, he loves us too much.” Sanghyuk replied smugly as Minah cracked up at this new attempt at channeling his inner Yongguk.

“Maybe you guys should do your work and prove how manly you are doing that.” Hakyeon commented as Minah looked at him gratefully.

“Yeah, men who work are really manly. I'm glad you were working Hakyeonie.” She nodded.

“Wait. Does this mean that Hakyeon is manly?!” Jaehwan switched back to his natural pitch breaking everyone's flow.

“Who knows?” Minah winked, before turning to her desktop leaving everyone else baffled.

“What do you think Hakyeon?” Hongbin asked, spinning around to face Hakyeon who shrugged.

“For all you know it’s the hip hop life. Now get back to work.” he said, shoving everyone away from Minah as she smiled at him gratefully.

Until Sanghyuk walked up to her and said “Hey shawty, we gonna party tonight. Jaehwanizzle is paying for it.”

“I dare you to call me shawty ever again.” Minah shot him a look as all six feet of Han Sanghyuk shivered before straightening up and looking back at her.

“We’re partying, you’re coming.”

“I don’t like parties.” Minah grumbled as Sanghyuk leaned over the cubicle wall.

“Hey, it would be really nice if you do come though. I mean, we all kind of need a break.”

“Is the devil HR head being nice?” Minah gasped as Sanghyuk grinned sheepishly.

“If you don’t come, Haneul won’t come. And if Hanuel doesn’t come, I’ll have to deal with weepy Jaehwan and Wonshik.”

“I knew there was an ulterior motive to this niceness,” Minah sighed, polishing her glasses “what time? Don’t tell me we’re going straight from work.”

“Nah, little later into the night, at around seven?” Sanghyuk said checking his nails “Jaehwan will text you the location.”

“If he sends it to me in hip hop style, I will physically hurt him.” Minah sighed, turning back to her screen.

“I would not expect anything other than hip hop!” Sanghyuk called out as he walked away as Wonshik yelled “yo man!” from his office. Minah fought the urge to bash her head against the desk.

She was even more suspicious when Haneul asked her to come over to her place so they could head over to the club together.

“I swear to god I will end you if you aren’t wearing something nice.” Haneul hissed at her as Minah peeped over her cubicle wall.

“Are booty shorts and cropped top okay? I wanna look hip hop.” she called out as Haneul froze.

“Listen, we’re going for an effect… oh. Okay, you were kidding.” she glared at Minah who now had tears in her eyes.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure Dambi has something I can steal.”

“Thank god, I thought you’d caught their weird hip hop fever. We go for a classy effect because we’re classy.” Haneul said, making a peace sign as Minah nodded, picking up her bag and following Haneul out.

Except apparently the gentlemen at the office had decided to take Jaehwan’s hip hop theme a little too seriously. Haneul felt like her half an hour of carefully dolling a mutinous Minah up had just gone down the drain as Wonshik danced around with three gold chains around his neck and wearing what appeared to be sweatpants.

“Can we leave?” Minah mumbled to Haneul, who shook her head, looking around for Taekwoon and Hakyeon since they were the sane ones.

“I can't see them” Haneul frowned.

“They are by the bar” Minah said looking over the crowd. The two men were visible from a distance as they towered over other patrons. Heading over towards them Minah smiled at Hakyeon who grinned back at her as she turned around to spot Sanghyuk looking amused as Hongbin and Wonshik dancing around. She waved to him as he nodded back.

“The bartender is a hot lady.” Haneul whispered to Minah as she whipped around to look at an intensely attractive lady leaning over the counter and smiling at Taekwoon. She slid a drink across to him, still smiling as he took it from her. Minah gaped at Taekwoon, it was a little unfair to look that good for a party which was being thrown for the purposes of asserting hip hop masculinity. Well, one couldn’t really go wrong with blue jeans and a white t-shirt honestly. Hot bartender was now trailing her fingers up Taekwoon’s arm as Taekwoon shifted awkwardly as Minah felt her stomach drop.

“She’s leering at boss man.” she said through gritted teeth only to notice that Haneul had been dragged away from the whole scene by Jaehwan. Minah cleared awkwardly as she eyed the interaction now escalating. Was it okay to punch some lady in the face?

“I think you need a drink.” Sanghyuk’s voice piped up beside her as she nodded to no one in particular as she shucked her stupid leather jacket off, feeling a little too hot all of the sudden.

“I’m going to get a beer.” she declared as Sanghyuk held back a laugh.

“Dressed like that? I think you’re trying to win someone’s attention.” the leather jacket was thrown at his face as Minah marched over to hot bartender and Taekwoon. Leaning across the counter she smiled at the two in general.

“Hey boss man,” she greeted before rolling her eyes towards the bartender “would you be a sweetheart and get me a beer?”

Taekwoon wasn’t sure what he was supposed to be looking at. Minah’s waist peeking at him from beneath the white lace cropped top she wore, or the look she shot the bartender as she walked away to come back with a beer.

“How is hip hop night working for you?” she asked as she acknowledged the beer next to her, taking a swig.

“Darling, can I get you something else?” the bartender asked Taekwoon as he shook his head saying no and turning to Minah and shrugging.

“I mean, the only reason I’m here is because Jaehwan wouldn’t stop screaming ‘SWAG’ outside my apartment till I came out. Oh, thank you?” he said as the bartender pushed him another drink stating that it was ‘on the house’ Minah rolled her eyes as she took another swig out of her beer. Except the bartender seemed to be rather persistent in trying to get Taekwoon’s attention leaving Minah chugging down the rest of her beer in a huff.

“Anddd I’m here.” Sanghyuk turned up to gently lead her away from the scene before the bottle was flung at the bartender “here, drink something, don’t punch the lady. Taekwoon can handle himself.”

“Of course he can. Bet he gets hit on by extremely attractive ladies all the time” Minah grumbled before grabbing her glass of beer and following Sanghyuk.

“Naturally. I mean, have you seen the man? I can’t believe you still don’t see how handsome he is after everything Haneul has tried” Sanghyuk teased. He knew that Minah was jealous and he understood the implications completely but this was fun.

“Haneul is… kind of crazy. But where is she? She disappeared on me earlier” Minah said, looking around for the other woman.

“Jaehwan and Haneul were somewhere around here” Sanghyuk said, looking around. He exclaimed when he spotted the two of them leaning by the sofa on the far end of the sitting area.

“I like this song” Jaehwan said, grooving along to the beat. Haneul frowned in confusion because she couldn’t hear him over the loud sounds.

“I’m sorry?” she asked as Jaehwan continued to hum. He pouted before leaning into her space to whisper into her ear.

“I said I like the song” he said loudly causing Haneul to simply say “oh” in response. She concentrated on the music, trying to figure out which song it was. Her knowledge of club music was limited compared to Wonshik’s or Jaehwan’s, but she was sure she had heard this one playing somewhere before.

“...I only remember one thing, I’m thinking your body...” Jaehwan sang, his voice getting deeper and huskier. Haneul blanked out at the triple threat of his deep voice, proximity and suddenly muscular build. The last time she had been too drunk to care but she was way too sober to handle this now.

“I AM THINKING OF TEQUILA SHOTS” she yelled, escaping Jaehwan’s hold to go find Minah who responded to the idea in enthusiasm. When had Jaehwan put his arm around her? She didn’t know and she didn’t want to reflect on the scene to find out.

“Shots already?” Hongbin asked.

“Any time is a good time for shots when you are hip hop!” Haneul cheered building up the hype. “In fact I am good enough to try soju bombs! Who is with me?!?!”

“Okaaayyyy let’s just start with mixed vodka shots and build up to tequila” Hakyeon jumped in. It was never a good idea to get Haneul drunk and he knew saying no would be of no use.

“What are you guys up to?” Jaehwan asked, finally catching up with the group.

“Shots shots shots and some more shots” Haneul said chirpily, while avoiding looking at him. The waiter brought a tray filled with shot glasses of various things and lemon and salt. Haneul had already thrown back the first glass and was on a lemon while Minah picked up her first glass.

“You don’t have to drink it if you don’t want to” Hakyeon said, noting her hesitation.

“Yeah that just means more for me” Sanghyuk said, taking the shot glass from her hand.

“You know what? One shot won’t be that bad” Minah said, with one last glare at the bar.

“Go Minah! Go Minah! Go Minah!” Haneul cheered her on as she picked up a glass. Minah took a deep breathe. She’s never had tequila before but it can’t be that bad. She took a gulp and instantly decided never to touch the vile liquid again, despite how much the guys were cheering her on now.

In hindsight, this turned out to be a very good decision because she was sober long enough to get Jaehwan, Sanghyuk and Hongbin’s fake money throwing on tape for blackmail purpose. She was filming Wonshik dancing as Hakyeon shoved Taekwoon forward towards her with a knowing smirk. He had clearly instructed the inebriated Taekwoon to finally make a move on Minah.

“It’s Injungie’s prince!” Minah exclaimed as Taekwoon’s cheeks burned “when are you going to read stories to meee?” she whined as Haneul stormed up.

“I will read you storieees!” she swayed, shoving Taekwoon out of the way into Hakyeon’s arms.

“Are you that drunk already?” Hakyeon laughed, pleasantly tipsy himself. Taekwoon’s ears burned red and his face was pink. Minah was sure that the hot bartender lady was behind his current state, having offered him one free drink too many.

“Duckling, here” Haneul said, handing her a glass of cloudy grey liquid that looked like Haneul’s own concoction. Minah looked at Haneul who got busy in trying to fix the buttons on her dress and then at the glass.

“Is it tequila again?” Minah asked, vary of the weird thing.

“Vodka” Haneul yelled back, fixing the button on top so that it would stay in place. “I swear having s is such a hindrance- Minah!” she stopped to exclaim as Minah chugged down the drink.

“I liked that one much more than the shots” Minah yelled back as Haneul simply stared. “What?” she asked Haneul, noticing something was not quite right.

“I gave you the drink to hold it” Haneul laughed. “But it’s alright”

“Sorry” Minah said sheepishly. She felt her cheeks heat up but she couldn’t stop smiling.

“Can I get you lovely ladies something?” Wonshik asked, placing his hand around Haneul’s waist.

“Well you could kiss Haneul for a start. I will go and find someone to be my prince and read to me.” Minah said, causing Haneul to splutter while Wonshik laughed.

“Is no place safe?! And I said I’d read to youuu!” Haneul exclaimed only to have Hongbin lean on her from the other side.

“Bro! I have been looking for you bro!” he yelled at Wonshik.

“Bro! I’ve been looking for you too bro!” he yelled back.

“I am suddenly too sober for this ” Haneul scowled before stepping out of the sandwich and letting the two men fall into each other. It was hard to get Hongbin drunk but the results were extremely amusing Minah decided.

“I found you bro!” Hongbin yelled, crying into Wonshik’s dollar chain.

“I will never leave you bro!” Wonshik declared and Minah stumbled into Sanghyuk who was laughing his off at the drama developing.

“Are you drunk too?” Sanghyuk asked in amusement as Minah held onto him. “I might be a little drunk on life” Minah admitted before giggling. There was a lovely warmth in her entire body which was suddenly weightless. And Sanghyuk was so tall and such a sweetheart to snuggle into.

“You! You shall read to me!” she declared as Sanghyuk, looked at her, amused.

“I don’t know about reading to you, but I will take care of you since you’re such a lightweight.”

“I’m not, look at Taekwoon okay? He’s the drunk one thanks to that bartender lady!” she whined as Sanghyuk chuckled. Minah was a whiny and grumpy drunk apparently.

“Tell me more about this bartender.” he said, leading her away from the chaos as Minah pouted unhappily.

“Okay let’s dance!” Haneul yelled, with another of her concoctions in her hand. She was about to drink it when Taekwoon decided to stand up and crashed into her. He had intended on following Hyuk and Minah who he had spotted heading away.

“Watch it Boss Cat!” Haneul said, stepping aside but Taekwoon didn’t care. He whined loudly (by his standards)now forgetting the purpose of why he was trying to leave the area.

“Where’s Hakyeonie?” he asked, baffled.

“I’m right here. You are the one who stood up” Hakyeon said causing Taekwoon to frown. In response, Taekwoon ended up sitting on his lap and hugging/smothering him.

“Okay, I think we calm down.” Hakyeon said, laughing at his boss’s antics.

“I’m not even drunk yet” Haneul grumbled as she turned to the mini dance party between Hongbin, Jaehwan, and Wonshik. Haneul could vaguely hear Hakyeon’s phone ring and the ringtone playing “Mamma Mia” by ABBA and all of the sudden, she felt nostalgic. Taking a deep sip from her potent concoction, she sighed.

“I miss ABBA.” she declared to no one in particular as she slowly swayed to Dancing Queen as she hummed it out aloud.

“Why are you dancing alone?” Jaehwan asked as he boogied his way over to her and she shook her head and pouted.

“Let me dance to my own music. Go boogie elsewhere” she said, now more fervently humming Dancing Queen albeit slightly out of tune.

“Danceeeing queeen, young and sweeet only seveeenteeeen!” Jaehwan picked up as he swayed with her. Suddenly Haneul paused, a lightbulb seemed to glow somewhere in her head and she pouted.

“I’m not seventeen! I can’t be a Dancing Queen!” she wailed. Jaehwan quickly panicked and waved his arms around.

“Age is just a number!”

“Numbers make math and math is the truth!” Haneul sobbed as she took another hasty sip from her glass.

“You’re a dancing queen okay? You’re my dancing queen!” Jaehwan declared as Haneul shook her head.

“Only ABBA knows the true dancing queen!”

“Then you gotta dance and prove to them that you are!” Jaehwan declared not knowing that he had asked for more than what he had bargained for. He knew Haneul was an adept dancer, what he didn’t know was that Haneul was a very y dancer too. Now his drunk brain was trying to comprehend the provocative dancing. Bracing his hand on her hip, he tried to keep up with her as the beat dropped somewhere in the background. He also had to fight the urge to cover her with a blanket or deal with her arms winding around him.

“JAEHWANIE AH MY MAN!” Wonshik came hurtling into them as Hongbin stumbled after him.

“Broooo, calm down.” he nodded his head wisely at Wonshik.

“You interrupted my Dancing Queen moment!” Haneul frowned at them and Wonshik regarded her seriously.

“You’re Dancing Queen anyway, so we’ll all dance!”

“Dance party is over kiddos,” Sanghyuk interrupted as Minah sleepily leaned on his shoulder as he gently patted her back “we’ve got to go. Looking at Bossman and Hakyeon, I think we’re really going to have to end hip hop night early.”

Hakyeon found Taekwoon attaching himself closer to him as Sanghyuk helped a very sleepy and dishevelled Minah through the crowds of people as she mumbled something to him and he laughed.

“Yes drunk cat, we will get you home.”

“I don’t wanna go home aloooone.” Taekwoon nodded into his shoulder.

“Alright, you can crash at my place.” Hakyeon ruffled his hair tipsily mussing it up further, he giggled before setting to ruffling Taekwoon’s hair till it fluffed up like a mane. Somehow they all managed to pile themselves into taxis, Minah trapped at the back between Hyuk and Hakyeon as Taekwoon snoozed up front.

Haneul on the other hand was trapped between Wonshik and Jaehwan as a more sobered down Hongbin sat up front in their taxi. The exhaustion of the day was finally getting to her as she leaned on Jaehwan’s shoulder, his giant hoodie (worn in the spirit of hip hop) providing her with a perfect pillow as she placed her hand on his thigh and closed her eyes missing how his own hand was on top of hers. Wonshik drooled on the window, letting out soft snores.

No one know what the next day would bring forth.


We love chaos if you can't tell.

Hehe

- Ryukai