16

Tales of a Consulting Firm

Double update because it's new years! Read the previous chapter for part one of bring your child to work day :3


“Hello there” Haneul said, holding her lunch tray. She had spotted Minah and Injung sitting at a table with Sanghyuk and Hakyeon and decided to walk over.

“Auntie Haneulliee! Sit with us” Injung insisted.

“I was hoping I could. I brought some ice cream along for Injung too!” Haneul said.

“Injung just had a bowl of ice cream” Minah told Haneul. “So no more for her now.”

“MinnieEomma please?” Injung said, doing aegyo.

“Yes, MinnieEomma please?” Sanghyuk said, making puppy eyes at Minah too.

“What are you doing?” Minah asked, chuckling.

“No one should be deprived of ice cream” Sanghyuk said while Injung nodded along.

“You guys are going to spoil her” Minah told them.

“Well, no ice cream but maybe a story later?” Haneul asked. Minah nodded and Injung cheered.

“Then can I eat the ice cream?” Sanghyuk asked.

“Get your own” Haneul said, sticking her tongue out. The action caused the group to laugh and Haneul spotted Taekwoon sighing wistfully in the distance. She bit her lip. Her love for Injung aside, she would quickly help Taekwoon be liked by Injung. Maybe then he would give up being in denial and admit he liked Minah.

Haneul sighed. Maybe she could try wishing for diamonds to fall in her lap.

It was with this in mind that Haneul offered to babysit Injung for the afternoon while Minah helped Hakyeon and Hongbin work out the finances of a particular client's deal.

“What would you like to do first Injung? Do you want to colour for a while?” Haneul asked her when they reached the recreation room. The yoga mats had been laid out to cover the entire room where the children sat along with the colouring books and crayons. Haneul grabbed a flowers themed colouring book and a set of crayons before finding a place for themselves. They waved at Wonshik and Sanghyuk who were passing by and got to colouring.

“Injungie, what do you think of MinnieEomma’s friends?” Haneul asked casually.

“I like MinnieEomma’s friends” Injung said, colouring the sunflower yellow.

“Everyone? All of them?” Haneul asked. Injung responded with a hum.

“Do you have a favourite?” she asked mischievously. “Is it Uncle Hongbin?” she added, showing her a picture on her phone. Injung blushed and hid her face by pretending to pick out crayons.

“He's very cute isn't he?” Haneul asked, giggling herself. Injung nodded before freezing and Haneul chuckled. “It's okay little one. Everyone falls for his charms. And I think he likes you too.”

“He does?” Injung asked, surprised. Haneul nodded.

“We can ask him when we see him. But I am sure the answer is yes. What about Uncle Boopy Nose?” Haneul asked.

“He's nice too! He gives me shoulder rides and let's me boop his nose” Injung said.

“He's only nice around you. And what about Uncle Jaehwan and Uncle Wonshik? They are fun too right?” she continued. Injung happily answered, telling her how the duo had spent the morning with her making her doodles and eating ice cream. Uncle Hakyeon had snuck her chocolates when MinnieEomma hadn't been looking.

“What about Uncle Taekwoon?” Haneul asked, after beating around the bush.

“He's… he's okay” Injung said.

“I think he really likes you too. But I don't think you like him, do you? Why not?” Haneul asked, lowering her voice.

“He's scary” Injung said with a frown.

“Why? Did he do something? Is it because he doesn't talk and looks scary?” Haneul asked. Injung nodded slowly.

“He was angry at Uncle Boopy Nose in the morning. He looked scary” Injung told her. Haneul’s heart melted at the innocence but she also made a mental note to hit Sanghyuk and Taekwoon later. Why were those two dummies going around scaring absolutely squishable cute children with glares?

“Do you want to listen to a story Injung?” Haneul asked, changing the topic.

“Yes please!” Injung said excitedly. Haneul smiled and stretched out her hand to let Injung sit on her lap while she narrated.

“Once upon a time, there was a girl named Minmin. She lived in a small city by the river” Haneul started. “She used to go to work. Just like MinnieEomma does!”

“Eomma works too. So do you, right Auntie Haneulliee?” Injung asked. Haneul nodded in reply.

“She used to come to work regularly and everyone liked her a lot. Almost everyone. She had a scary looking boss named Daeguni. Kind of like Uncle Taekwoon” Haneul told her.  

“What did she do?” Injung asked curiously. “At first, Minmin didn't know what to do. She would avoid meeting Daeguni. But one day they ran into each other into the pantry. It was a particularly unlucky day because the coffee machine had stopped running and Minmin was very sad because coffee was her favourite” Haneul told her.

“Minmin is just like Appa” Injung laughed. Haneul grinned as well. Love for coffee ran in the family apparently. Taekwoon would fit right in.

“Minmin was very sad and it turns out that Daeguni was very sad too because he really liked coffee as well” Haneul said, pretending to frown and be sad.

“Daeguni likes coffee too?” Injung asked in surprise. Haneul nodded vigorously.

“Daeguni loved coffee more than he loved life. That's how Minmin and Daeguni became friends. They bonded over coffee! In fact they became best friends. Minmin would often help him in his work and make him yummy coffee when he didn't feel well. And Daeguni would take care of her as well. And all was going fine till the evil Slimy Lizard came into the scene” Haneul said ominously.

“He was a creepy monster. And his eyes were set on Minmin. He wanted to steal her away from Daeguni and all her friends!” Haneul said incredulously.

“Eeeee. I don't like Lizard man” Injung scowled. She had begun to like Minmin and now she didn't want her falling into any sort of trouble.

“No one else did honestly. But Lizard Man was creepy and slimy. He would keep following Minmin around. Till one day, Daeguni stepped in to stop Lizard Man once and for all!” Haneul said.

“He went up to the evil Lizard and told him that Minmin didn't like him at all and would never go away with him.

“Yay Daeguni is the best!” Injung cheered as Taekwoon walked by, his ears perking up at the old familiar yet unfamiliar nickname.

“But the evil Lizard said no and tried to kidnap Minmin, but Daeguni and Minmin came together and fought off the evil Lizard defeating him once and for all.” Haneul ended dramatically and Injung’s eyes went wide with excitement. Taekwoon hovered over the table trying very hard not to look suspicious.

“Minmin and Daeguni realized that they were in love and then they got married and had cute little babies, just like yourself.” Haneul said pinching Injung’s cheek making the latter giggle.

“Daeguni and Minmin are nice.” she said, nodding.

“Daeguni and Minmin are soulmates in every life even in the old times!” Haneul said as Taekwoon fought the urge to cover . Injung on the other hand looked very curious.

“Really?”

“Yeah! Even in the time of the fairytales!”

“Tell me about it!” Injung said, excited as Taekwoon edged closer, trying to listen in on it. Injung shifted closer to Haneul with her wide eyes as Haneul sat up straight, trying to make sure Taekwoon could also hear what was going on noticing him straining to listen.

“Minmin was known as Minnie then, and Daeguni was known as Leo because he looked like a cat!”

“Like Uncle Taekwoon.” Injung blinked.

“Thats right!” Haneul nodded making Taekwoon roll his eyes.

“Leo was like the beast in Beauty and the Beast, he was a sweet man except everyone thought he was a beast.”

“What the hell Haneul, you’re making it worse.” Taekwoon mumbled as Hakyeon walked by halting to listen in on the conversation.

“Once upon a time Minnie was reading a book, which was not allowed in those times. So Minnie went to an old castle to hide and read because she loved reading.”

“MinnieEomma loves reading too! She loves reading to me as well.” Injung nodded, making Hakyeon chuckle and Taekwoon hold back a laugh.

“Haneul is really setting you up here.” Hakyeon nudged Taekwoon who swatted his hand away.

“Except the castle was owned by Taek- uh, Leo who asked her to stay there and read in his library instead.” Haneul continued as Hakyeon shook with laughter.

“What is this version of Beauty and the Beast?”

“The only problem was that everyone told Minnie that Leo was a scary beast, so Minnie was terrified. But truth be told, Leo was a handsome prince who had been turned into a man with the face of a cat.”

“But Leo is a nice man!” Injung defended the beast and Haneul was reminded very strongly of Minah. Taekwoon had a stupid smile on his face which no one missed.

“Uncle Taekwoon looks nice when he smiles.” Injung whispered to Haneul as Taekwoon pretended to look elsewhere.

“Yes, yes he does.” Haneul nodded back.

“So how did Minnie become friends with Leo?” Injung asked, continuing the story as Haneul mentally scrambled to get the plot together.

“Minnie decided that everyone should make their own decisions about their friends and took up Leo's offer. She used to read to him everyday.”

“Just like MinnieEomma!” Injung cheered.

“Yes! Sometimes Minnie would fall asleep while reading to Leo and Leo would carry and cradle her in his arms to keep her safe from falling from her seat. Minnie and Leo became very good friends, they loved each other very much,” Haneul chuckled remembering how Minah had fallen asleep in Taekwoon’s arms at the noraebang. “But not everyone liked Leo, especially this evil man named Jiwon who wanted to steal Minnie away because she was pretty and smart.”

“MinnieEomma said something about a bad man named Kim Jiwon to Appa. Appa said that people should be careful with bad men and stay away from them.”

“Your Appa is a smart man.” Haneul nodded (Little did she know that she would have a crush on Minah's brother, but that is a story for another time).

“What did Jiwon do then?”

“He broke into the castle and tried to kill Leo and steal Minnie away,”  Haneul went on dramatically as Taekwoon edged closer and Haneul paused “can Uncle Taekwoon join in? He loves stories too and he'd be very sad if he can't listen to it.”

Injung inspected Taekwoon who looked down at her with a tiny smile. Haneul had told her about how much Daeguni and Leo were like him and he sure looked like a prince. She nodded as Taekwoon gratefully joined the group with a “Thank you Injung!”

Injung grinned at Taekwoon as she turned back to Haneul “Please finish the story.”

“Oh, what story is this?” a voice asked and a piece of golden  fell on Taekwoon’s head as Minah handed over a bunch of decorations to Hakyeon who had asked for them. Injung’s eyes widened, Taekwoon really looked like a prince now but her focus was now on her aunt who took a seat next to him.

“We’re telling Injung the story of Minnie and Leo, the new version of Beauty and the Beast.” Haneul declared as Minah gaped at her.

“Right now Jiwon is trying to kill Leo and steal Minnie away.” Injung filled her aunt in as Minah internally asked the gods what the hell was going on.

“So then Leo and Jiwon got into a sword fight. They were both skilled, but Leo had the love and support of Minah so he defeated Jiwon and sent him off. And Minah gave Leo a magical kiss which turned him into the handsomest prince in the land, they got married and had cute babies like you!” Haneul finished off as Minah’s jaw dropped.

“What are you teaching my niece.”

“Uncle Taekwoonie looks like Prince Leo.” Injung’s eyes glittered making Minah straighten up. This was an interesting development, she turned to Taekwoon who was beaming.

“Uncle Taekwoon can be your prince.” she said as Injung turned to Taekwoon with wide eyes.

“Really?”

“Of course.” Taekwoon smiled as Injung grinned back at him. She spread her arms out for a hug and Taekwoon gathered her up in his large arms effectively hiding her in them. Minah smiled at the two and then at Haneul who mouthed “you're his princess actually” making her roll her eyes.

“Shall we go get some snacks or are you full?” Minah asked Injung who was sandwiched between Haneul and Taekwoon.

“Can we?” She asked as Minah nodded.

“You're always hungry. Sanghyuk has arranged for snacks for us we can eat and then go home. Appa is going to pick us up!”

Injung nodded, standing up and heading over to Minah who was now up and holding her hand out.

“Join us!” Injung looked at the two who were sitting down and tugged at the shoulder of Taekwoon’s blazer as he stood up quickly, she caught hold of his little finger and grinned “Auntie Haneullie! Uncle Jaehwan is making faces at you.” she giggled as Haneul was effectively distracted by the other manchild in the room who was seeking her attention.

“You guys go ahead without me.” she said, nudging the others ahead as Injung held Minah and Taekwoon’s hands leading them to the breakroom.

“Looks like she has a good idea of the layout now.” Taekwoon chuckled.

“She had a ball today all around the place, she figures places out quickly.”

“Smart kid.” Taekwoon said appreciatively.

“Takes after her aunt.” Minah joked.

“Sure looks like it.” Taekwoon mumbled as Minah looked down and to the side. Injung remained blissfully unaware through the snack break. Taekwoon was her prince now and she insisted he accompany her everywhere she went. He even joined her at the table drawing with wax crayons creating awful creatures at her demand.

“What on earth is that?” Sanghyuk cringed at Taekwoon’s rendition of a dinosaur.

“It’s a dinosaur!” Injung declared.

“It doesn’t look like one.” Sanghyuk countered only to have Injung sit him down and decode the mess on the paper as different parts of the dinosaur’s body while Taekwoon looked smug. It was soon evening and Minah approached the two.

“Injungie, it’s time to leave. Appa is here.” she said and Injung pouted and clung closer to Taekwoon “we shouldn’t keep him waiting, he’s very tired.” Minah cooed as Haneul hurried into the recreation room.

“There is an extremely hot man sitting in the visitor’s lounge.”

Jaehwan and Wonshik frowned almost at once. They had all been sitting at the same table now that the office was empty and Injung with Taekwoon was everyone’s source of entertainment and joy.

“It’s after office hours, I wonder who you’re talking about.” Minah said standing up and heading out closely followed by Jaehwan and Wonshik stating they would take a quick peek. The three were quick to return, Minah laughing as she pushed the door open.

“Injungie, Appa is waiting for you in the visitors lounge, say bye bye and let’s go.”

Injung waved goodbye to everyone and gave each one of them a hug (and Sanghyuk a poke to the nose) before hurrying to her aunt on her tiny legs. Picking her up, Minah smiled at the group.

“Well, my brother is waiting. I will see you guys tomorrow.” she said before shutting the door behind her. Haneul’s smiled dropped into a dramatic mournful sob.

“Extremely hot dude is her brother?!”