7

Tales of a Consulting Firm

Jaehwan burst into Sanghyuk's cubicle. "CODE RED CODE RED MONSTER IS UPSET."

Sanghyuk looked up at the panicked man as he sighed "what did you do?"

"Wonshikkie tried to wake Haneullie up and now she's curled up and crying."

"That man is an idiot. It's public knowledge that Haneul doesn't react well to being woken up."

 "You're HR! Do something!" Jaehwan wailed. Sanghyuk stood up sighing and the two headed over to Haneul's cubicle only to find Wonshik petting her on the head soothingly and rocking her back and forth in his arms going 'shh shhh, go back to sleep'.

"We need to do something about this..." Sanghyuk concluded.

Haneul on the other hand had her head pressed against the solid chest which Wonshik owned as he awkwardly patted her. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to go back to sleep or feel hyperaware of the abdominal muscles under her cheek. She sniffled in response as she felt another pair of eyes on her causing her to spring away from Wonshik as he jolted in shock holding his hands up in defence. Haneul when overworked and sleepy was far more dangerous than Haneul in her senses.

But she was adorable regardless.

“What’s going on here you guys?” Sanghyuk sighed, knowing even though he knew exactly what had happened.

“Wonshik tried to wake me up and things got out of hand.” Haneul mumbled as Wonshik nodded, Jaehwan eyed Wonshik suspiciously.

“I have a pillow in my cubicle if you need it Haneullie.” He said, as Haneul shot him a grateful smile. She wasn’t sure if she’d prefer abs or a pillow, but the latter was a safer option. Sanghyuk cleared his throat.

“Everyone seems very overworked. We need to do something about it. I have a plan.”

The last four words made his colleagues shudder. Every time Sanghyuk had a plan, it meant dealing with the devil.

Which was why Jung Taekwoon was baffled by when Sanghyuk tossed a proposal at him asking him to sign it. Poring over it, Taekwoon’s eyebrow quirked.

“You want to convert one of the conference rooms into a yoga and meditation room?”

“Yes! Everyone in the office is overworked, what we need is rest and relaxation.” Sanghyuk nodded, raising a finger in the air almost to prove a point.

“We have leave travel allowance for that.” Taekwoon countered. All the employees had a stipulated paid leave they could take. The business wouldn’t run if they let everyone rest and relax all the time.

“But, this will build a sense of community as well.”

“We have office outings for that.” Taekwoon deadpanned.

“It has health benefits, it’s not like we can afford gym equipment like most other offices, the least we can do is give them a recreation room of sorts.” Sanghyuk argued causing Taekwoon to pause as there was a knock on the door and Minah entered.

“Ah Minah! Why don’t you help me convince Taekwoon here about the yoga room.” Sanghyuk grinned as Minah looked at him and back at Taekwoon.

“Well, it’s not a bad idea for the company image as well, if you give us a recreation room, it would be incentive to work as well. Plus it’s good for some all-around development.” She stated frankly before placing a sheaf of papers on Taekwoon’s desk “These are from Hakyeon, he wants them signed as soon as you can.” She said before turning around and leaving the room. Sanghyuk watched as the left before turning back to continue the argument only to find that Taekwoon had already signed his proposal.

“Approved. Go for it.”

So Sanghyuk proposed the idea yet again at the weekly meeting of heads only to watch Jaehwan nudge Haneul with a grin on his face suggesting that he was probably going to use the room for other purposes and Haneul trying to swat his hand away only to grab hold of it to prevent and further movement. Wonshik was peering into Hongbin’s phone as the latter tried to catch a Pokemon on his new Pokemon Go app.

“How expensive is this going to be though?” Hakyeon asked, being the responsible head of finances.

“Well, the yoga mats shouldn’t cost much if we buy them wholesale, we can keep the carpeting and shift the chairs into the storage room. If need be, we can sell the table and buy a ping pong table for the employees to use.” Sanghyuk said before turning to Taekwoon who shrugged.

“I had approved, just make sure it doesn’t look like a mess.”

It didn’t look very much like a mess when Sanghyuk was done with it. Except it was rather crowded with a large part of the office being in it on the day it opened. Sanghyuk stood on a table to address everyone.

“Good afternoon everyone! This room has been made to help all of you destress. It’s a meditation room for most part, but it can be used as a recreation room. We thought we’d just do a few exercises and meditate for a short while…to break in the room.”

There was a mild applause from the audience as Sanghyuk instructed people to find a yoga mat. He spotted Taekwoon heading over to Minah who was handing out the mats while Jaehwan and Wonshik whacked each other with their rolled up mats as Haneul watched, rolling her eyes. Hakyeon and Hongbin waited for the crowd to find their spots before heading towards Minah who gave them the yoga mat and finally settling down.

Except Sanghyuk’s plans of making this an orderly session of instructions and activities turned into a session of distracted ladies staring at Hongbin who was trying to meditate. 

Sanghyuk balked “Uh, ladies, your attention please! Actually, Hongbin, why don’t you join me here up front?” Hongbin sighed, before shifting up front, rolling his eyes as he rolled his mat up. Sanghyuk grinned and cleared his throat “Alright everyone, now close you eyes annnnd inhale deeply.”

His eyes landed on Jaehwan falling asleep on Haneul’s shoulder as Wonshik snoring beside him, leaning against the wall. Hakyeon was on his phone, probably playing Pokemon Go as Haneul attempted to peer into his phone. 

“Hyuk,” Hakyeon whispered “there is a Pidgey right next to you! Pose now! I’ll click a picture!”

Sanghyuk frowned and looked around for the boss cat Taekwoon hoping to god at least he was following instructions. Except the man was looking around at the distracted people before his eyes landed on Minah who was surrounded by her male colleagues trying to hold back her laughter at their attempts to meditate. Sanghyuk saw Taekwoon roll his eyes.

“Breathe, and relax. Exhale” he said yet again, he had gone over instructions about general meditation and was looking for a proper instructor.

Sanghyuk wasn’t sure if this plan was a success honestly, now that he noticed Haneul petting the sleeping Jaehwan’s head as he curled up closer to her like an affectionate puppy. Wonshik’s snores resounded through the mumbling going on the in room causing Sanghyuk’s ‘inhale…now exhale…’ to falter.

Well, at least they had a recreation room now.