5

Tales of a Consulting Firm

Haneul attempted to swat Jaehwan away from her cubicle for the millionth time as he hung over the partition imitating her drunk version of “I Am The Best” in various pitches. As the many renditions of the song filled the air Haneul’s frantic attempts to hush the man also became more desperate.

“Lee Jaehwan!” she swatted at his face as he popped up to her left bobbing his head before quickly dodging her hand to shift to above her head now “I will murder you.”

“Bamratataaataatatatatatatataaaaaaaaaa ouch!” Jaehwan squealed when Wonshik jumped on him and squeezed him. The people around them sighed, these idiots were few of the heads in the firm and this was how they behaved. Some of them whispered that Jaehwan would probably marry Wonshik if Haneul wasn’t there.

Except Haneul was there and Wonshik was now braying along with Jaehwan snapping her nerves as she stood up causing a sudden, much needed silence in the area. All of the sudden, right before Haneul could start throwing things at the two, she received the most painfully adorable puppy eyes from Jaehwan and an attempt at aegyo from Wonshik.

Haneul felt whatever anger she felt simply crumble down as a snort was heard from the cubicle. The three looked up to see Sanghyuk and Minah trying very hard not to laugh at the madness that was going on.

“Should I report them for the bad aegyo or the terrible singing?” Minah asked, wiping the tears of laughter from her eyes as Sanghyuk nodded.

“Both, report them for both.”

“What are you doing here?” Haneul asked suspiciously as Wonshik and Jaehwan made themselves cosy in her cubicle – Jaehwan pretty much sitting on her lap as her placed himself on the arm of her chair and Wonshik hiking himself onto the table and dragging the chair backwards till Jaehwan turned around and pouted.

“Just checking on how Business Cat translations were going. Got this instead.” Hyuk shrugged as Minah grinned at him.

“Oh yeah,” Wonshik nodded approvingly “how is it going?”

“Well, it appears to be a massive hit with the foreign crowd,” Minah “I’d show you the stats, but you guys are all the way there.”

“That’s amazing! Now everybody get back to work. Get out of my cubicle. Both of you.” Haneul growled as Wonshik fiddled with the lever of her chair, sending her and Jaehwan a few inches lower.

“No~” the two chorused as Hyuk turned back to Minah ignoring the three and their shenanigans. More like Jaehwan’s shenanigans which somehow Wonshik joined and resulted in a very frustrated Haneul.

“Yah! Wonshik where are you Admin head!” Hakyeon yelled from his cabin causing Wonshik to tumble from his table and hurry over to the mother of Finance. Jaehwan refused to move even with the new spot created for him.

“Jaehwan?” Haneul sighed.

“Yesseuuu.” The head of the Creative Department sing-songed.

“Get off my armrest.”

“Noooo.” Jaehwan wiggled on the limited space.

“You’re an idiot you know that?” Haneul rolled her eyes attempting to return to her work.

“I am your idiot~” Jaehwan sing-songed before shooting up from his seat on her armrest and yelling “Hongbinnie! Wait for meeee.” Haneul watched as the energetic man hurried away to meet the abstract art piece who was somewhere between amused and somewhat judging the man approaching.

There is never peace in this office Haneul thought before finally turning her seat and focusing on her screen.

"At least the singing stopped" Minah said to herself, causing Sanghyuk to chuckle.

"Please, you found it cute!" he accused her.

"Yes, but I'll never say it to their faces. What even happened last night? Other than Haneul apparently singing I Am The Best" she asked him.

 "You mean, you don't remember?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

 "Did I do something wrong?" she asked, worry evident in her tone.

"Wrong? You did a number on poor Taekwoon" he told her.

 "What?" she asked, her skin paling. Oh dear god, please tell me that I haven't done anything towards my boss who can actually fire me from my job, she pleaded to the heavens above.

"Yup. I bet he’s is so traumatised that he even didn't come into office till now" Sanghyuk said to himself, enjoying Minah's reaction.

As if on cue, an ominous chill spread in the office. There was an eerie silence as a dark aura glided through the corridor towards Taekwoon's office. "Looks like the boss is in a very bad mood today" the lady who sat behind Minah commented. On point, the dark aura turned towards Minah's direction and floated in. Minah stared as a face emerged from the dark gloomy soul.

"Minah, can I see you in my office?" Taekwoon asked, in a low voice before walking away. If there was a fact universally known about silent people then it was the fact that they got deadlier as they became quieter.

"Well, it was nice knowing you Duckling" Sanghyuk said under his breath as she got up. Haneul gave her a fighting sign, not seeming as worries as she should be that a close friend and colleague was about to walk to her death

Minah took a deep breath and knocked on the door. There was a grim and lifeless 'enter' that was barely audible. Minah entered anyway, reasoning that if she had to die she might as well get it done quickly. The room was dark as the blinds had been pulled down. There was no life in this office except a grim cactus that Sanghyuk had placed there once upon a time as a joke. Taekwoon cleared his throat, causing Minah to panic.

"About last night" they chorused together. The two of them looked at each other awkwardly, as if discussing a night of intimacy which they hadn't expected as opposed to a simple night out with friends.

 "I just wanted to know if you had made it home alright" Taekwoon said, his voice sounding gruff. Suddenly everything made sense. He wasn't angry, he was hungover! He was grumpy at best, very much like the meme. The office had probably just been dark because he had just stepped in and had not had time to open the blinds. The cactus was innocent. It had always just been there.

"Yeah. I made it back just fine" she said, unknown knots and tensions in her body muscles easing up.

"That's good to know" Taekwoon ended briskly, his odd voice throwing everything off balance. They looked at each other, unsure of what to say before Minah just excused herself.

"Well? Should I print out your resignation letter? Do you want to quit before I fire you officially?" Sanghyuk asked smugly.

"You are absolutely horrible for scaring me over nothing" Minah said indignantly. She narrowed her eyes at Sanghyuk who could barely conceal his laughter. He walked away, leaving a file to be looked over by her on her desk and she scowled at the retreating figure. One of these days, she would get him back good.

 "What actually happened in there?" Haneul asked, leaning over the wall of her cubicle. "Nothing did. He just wanted to know if I got home safe" Minah told her.

 "Aww. How cute. Did he ask you in person because he doesn't have your number?" Haneul asked with a grin. Minah raised an eyebrow, knowing this was not a path she would take today.

 "You should give him your number. Text him. Ask him out for coffee" she teased.

"I won't. I don't need to butter the boss man" Minah said triumphantly.

"I know. But I saw the way you smiled when you came out of his office" Haneul noted.

 "You're seeing things" Minah protested as she sat down to work.

 "Uh huh" Haneul said nonchalantly. Minah sighed. Why would Haneul even get the impression that she liked Taekwoon. Not that anyone mentioned the word 'liked'. Or how cute his concern over her was. And how he was more Grumpy Cat than Business Cat today and how it was somehow very endearing.


We're baaaack.

Sorta.

Do check out our (Ryukai) other (animeotakupooh) stuff and tell us what you think!

 

Thank you for your support and love <3