13

Tales of a Consulting Firm

A collective groan resounded from the group. Everyone had been hoping they would get breakfast as soon as they had reached the top since most of the groups had been surviving on water. Minah herself had been terribly hungry and only had two nutrition bars in her bag which was insufficient for her since she was a person who consumed quite a decent quantity of food.

“Uh oh, Taekwoonie is sulking because he's hungry.” Hakyeon whispered as they regrouped and Minah tried to secretly pull out her nutrition bar to share it with the boss man since his temper was known to flare when he was hungry (as did hers which was why she had the bar with her in the first place). Shifting beside Taekwoon, she whispered.

“I have a nutrition bar if you'd like to share.” She watched his face light up as she brought it out of hiding only to have it taken away.

“No cheating!” Jiwon sing songed as Taekwoon and Minah's temper flared.

“Hey!” Minah frowned at the man as Taekwoon took a step towards him, towering over him only to have Jiwon shake his head. Minah caught hold of Taekwoon's wrist as his palms curled into a fist and he pouted unhappily.

He turned to Minah only to see a shocking sight.

Huge puppy-dog eyes looked straight at Jiwon as she pouted sadly, making both the men balk for a second.

“But I'm so hungry and I get dizzy,” She whined unhappily to Jiwon, eyes still on the nutrition bar in his hand “how will I get coffee with you if I feel dizzy and ill at the end of the day?” She asked only to feel the nutrition bar being back into her hands.

“Don't tell anyone.” Jiwon mumbled as he walked away and Minah turned to Taekwoon and grinned, holding the bar up.

“You're going to have coffee with him?” He asked, baffled as to how she had gone from adorable puppy to grinning devil. How come he had never seen those puppy-dog eyes before?

“I was kind of hoping you guys would help me get out of that one, she said, opening the bar and breaking it in equal halves and handing it to Taekwoon. Jiwon blew the whistle and the two groups hurried off in search for their breakfasts

Haneul, Jaehwan, and Wonshik’s teams started hurrying through the hunt. Breakfast was at stake here and losing meant lesser breakfast than the other team (no one had told them this, but people simply assumed the same.) Youngbae had given them their first clue and said they were to look for a pink door except there was no pink door in the temples!

“I've walked past so many doors, I'm dizzy.” Haneul complained as Jaehwan instantly handed her a candy from his secret snack stash in his bag. Wonshik extended his hand out for one only to have it swatted away.

“Tell me when you're dizzy and I'll give it to you.” Jaehwan grinned as they walked past the one red door in the temple for the third time.

“Speed up! At this rate the other team will reach before us!” Minah growled as Hongbin halted to take a picture.

“This isn't a race” Hakyeon reminded her. “It's a chance to admire nature and enjoy the break to smell the roses along the way” he said, exaggerating the princely attitude.

“I swear it's his birthday but can't we ditch them?” Taekwoon asked Minah quietly.

 “I am tempted to” Minah agreed.

“I don't mind the long walk if the company is nice” Jiwon said out loud, grinning at Minah. The guides had joined the teams to help them out in case they really got stuck and Jiwon decided to stick close to Minah.

Taekwoon cleared his throat and decided to walk ahead, pulling Minah along on the trail. Minah protested but he waited till they were a few paces ahead to stop. “Let's go up ahead. It's a straight trail and the faster we get there, the longer we can relax before they catch up” he told her. “You could have told me that before grabbing my hand” Minah deadpanned. She thought Taekwoon blushed a little but he marched on ahead. She shook her head and followed him, keeping the trail in mind.

Meanwhile Hakyeon was busy actually smelling the roses, when he turned around, he couldn’t spot his two busybody teammates.

“Have any of you seen Minah?” he asked the people behind them.

 “I think she went ahead with Boss Man” one of the guys told him.

“Oh okay. Thank you” Hakyeon thanked the man. That meant that Minah must be with Taekwoon and the group would eventually find the two in their trail. At least Taekwoon and Minah were responsible. Which was probably why they were hurrying back with the next clue, now sending the group off into a different direction. Jiwon cheered at Minah’s return and patted her back only to have Taekwoon hover over the two of them holding the clue between them.

“Does this make any sense to you?”

“It wants us to go to a red door.” Minah said, now following Taekwoon into the temple as the group ambled along behind them, leaving Jiwon in the dust.

“Where the heck is this pink door?” Jaehwan whined as he dragged his feet along before he turned to Youngbae who was now staring at the second group that had now walked into the temple led by Taekwoon.

“Pretty flower.” he mumbled as he stared at the group.

“Eh?” Haneul whispered, trying to figure out what the hell Youngbae was talking about. Wonshik joined the little huddle.

“Hey! That’s the other group!” someone called out.

“Hongbinnie~” Jaehwan waved as Hongbin raised his camera to take a picture of the trio.

“Pretty flower.” Youngbae mumbled yet again making Haneul chuckle.

“See, Youngbae thinks Hongbin is a pretty flower.”

“It’s okay Haneullie, you’re our pretty flower.” Wonshik patted Haneul’s head only to have his hand swatted away.

The second clue stood right next to the red door, it was a basket of apples with a note on it. Taekwoon swiftly picked up the basket and handed Minah the clue as the group crowded around her as she quickly read the clue out and the group went hurrying out of the temple.

“Do you think he meant the red door when he said pink?” Haneul asked as Jaehwan’s eyes widened and ran to the door the previous group had been and cursed. Youngbae seemed to enjoy mucking around with them and at this point with everyone being so hungry, this was really not funny. He ran back with the clue and his cheering group surrounded him. After reading the clue and figuring out the location to the next clue, they hurried out, leaving Youngbae behind in the temple wondering what on earth had happened.

“We are not letting him give us any more directions.” Wonshik said through gritted teeth.

“We’re also not letting him anywhere near our pretty flower.” Haneul hissed, annoyed at this point.

“Why would he come near you? You have Wonshikkie and me to protect you.” Jaehwan asked as Haneul rolled her eyes.

“Abstract art is his pretty flower.”

“Ohhh.” he said as they hurried to their next location.

While Hakyeon’s team finished their scavenger hunt far before Haneul’s did, they settled down on the sprawling lawn where the rest of the day’s activities would be conducted. By the time they had collated everything they had collected during the scavenger hunt, the other group joined them and they finally got down to eating breakfast. The scavenger hunt not only allowed the groups to gain their breakfasts, but also learn about the place instead of going on a usual tour.

Minah sighed, leaning against Haneul as she looked at the groups of people forming around them. Hongbin took this opportunity to take a picture of them as Youngbae slowly made his way to them and Haneul reached out to grab at Hongbin and pull him down as he came crashing into the grass with a squeak.

“Youngbae thinks you’re Hongbae.” she whispered

“Eh?” Hongbin blinked.

“Our guide has the hots for you.”

“Just like out guide has the hots for Minah…much to Boss Cat’s annoyance.” Hongbin chuckled as Minah frowned at him.

“He’s heading over here.” Haneul whispered as Sanghyuk came and plonked down beside Hongbin.

“I didn’t see you in my group, I’m Youngbae.” Youngbae said as he settled down in front of Hongbin who politely nodded and tried to comprehend the sudden knowledge of the place that Youngbae seemed to display as Haneul’s temper rose, so he was literally acting like an idiot simply because he was bored. Now that he had found himself a pretty flower, this was the scene. Secondly, he was getting annoyingly close to Hongbin. Except Sanghyuk rested his head on Hongbin’s shoulder.

“Babe, are you done eating?” he asked, holding his sandwich out to Hongbin who looked at it for just a second before picking up on the cue and taking a bite as Youngbae took a double take at the giant man sitting next to Hongbin. He was quick to pick up on cues and stood up.

“Think Jiwon’s calling me.”

“Yeah, I think so too.” Minah giggled as he scurried off and Sanghyuk detached himself from Hongbin.

“I can’t believe I have to save you from men and women.” Sanghyuk rolled his eyes as Hongbin took a deep breath only to see Jiwon heading in their direction. He looked around for Taekwoon who was now sitting next to Hakyeon who was talking incessantly as Taekwoon looked into the distance.

Jiwon was surprised when Minah looked at him and greeted him in what could only be called the cutest voice ever as she stood up and walked towards him. Ah, maybe his charms had worked on her! Except he felt all the joy in him drop when she walked straight past him to the stray dog which had wandered onto the lawns.

“Hello little baby!” she squealed as she caressed the dog’s head causing Taekwoon’s attention to get diverted. A litter of puppies followed their mother and surrounded Minah who first focussed on winning the mother’s trust, feeding her the sandwich she had in her hand and sitting down as the mother bounded around her. The puppies were grown enough for the mother to not to be so protective of them. So she took a chance and tried to pet one which yipped at her causing her to smile. Then all hell broke loose when all the puppies clambered over her and she sat, trying to pet as many as she could, laughing. Slowly people joined her in her cuddle session, Taekwoon hurrying over first since he adored dogs followed closely by Hakyeon and Haneul.

Soon the puppies found themselves a person to yip and bark around as the mother sighed and settled down next to Minah with her head on her lap.

“You’re a dog whisperer.” Sanghyuk chuckled as he sat down beside her, petting the mother’s head.

“It’s so cute and squishy! I shall name it !” Wonshik declared as Haneul gaped at him holding the puppy up like Rafiki held Simba up.

“No, why?!” she asked, flabbergasted.

“Because it’s cute and squishy. Butts are cute and squishy.” Wonshik deadpanned, trying to duck away from Haneul’s hand trying to whack him. Jaehwan cracked up at Wonshik’s declaration and rolled on the grass with another puppy, Haneul was quite certain that Jaehwan would be a good character to add to the BossCat series - PuppyBoss. She nuzzled the puppy Wonshik was holding up to turn and see Hongbin and Hakyeon trying to out cuddle the same puppy and Taekwoon focussed entirely on one, trying not to get distracted by Minah’s baby talk to whichever puppy strayed in her direction. Sanghyuk lazed beside Minah, ruffling the mother dog’s fur.

She also spotted Jiwon edging closer to Minah only to be blocked by Taekwoon who followed the puppy which ran to its mother. Except Taekwoon also settled himself down beside Minah and stretched out, lying down next the mother to pet her and successfully creating a barrier around Minah.

“Shall we start a game of tug-of-war?” Jiwon asked , as he stood beside the lazy Taekwoon and Sanghyuk.

 “We have ropes too” Youngbae told Hongbin who nodded, unsure of what to do with the information.

“Binnie! Play with me” Sanghyuk said, winking suggestively at Hongbin who just wanted to kill himself at this point.

 “I want to play but I don't want to let go of these cuties” Minah told Taekwoon.

“Then don't go” he said simply, stretching around her even more to block Jiwon again. He curled closer to her while glaring at Jiwon's back.

“Why does he look more and more like a cat with every passing second?” Hakyeon asked Wonshik who tried really hard not to laugh.

“Only puppies allowed” Minah laughed as she pushed Taekwoon away. He grumbled and shifted away still managing to glare at Jiwon who was busy trying to charm another woman.

“Haneul!! Let's play tug of war!” Jaehwan exclaimed, pulling her along.

“Use a rope Jaehwan. Not my hands” Haneul protested as he pulled her away.

“We’ll play too” Hakyeon said. A couple of people murmured an agreement as well and pretty soon teams were forming. The teams were mixed as opposed to the division earlier. Haneul and Hakyeon were on the team on the left and the team on the right had Jaehwan and Wonshik. Sanghyuk decided to go over to that side because he didn't want to go up against a nagging Mom and Monster while playing causing the two people to protest.

“Won't you play too?” Youngbae asked, standing next to Hongbin.

“Mine!” Haneul yelled, appearing from nowhere and dragging Hongbin away. Taekwoon glared when Jaehwan tried to do the same to Minah while she played with puppies blissfully unaware.

“Taekwoon. Come and play with us!” Hakyeon said coming over. “Minah too. We need a strong person since Sanghyuk is on the other side” he told them.

Taekwoon shared a look with Minah who just shrugged wondering why he even asked. “Okay” he agreed, getting up. He followed along and Haneul placed him at the front because Sanghyuk was at the front and the two of them took up the rope, ready to duel to death play. Jiwon counted down to the starting and the two teams tugged on the rope.

Jaehwan and Wonshik led a chant while pulling on the rope causing everyone to pull with all their might. “If we beat them Taekwoon will buy everyone lunch!” Hakyeon yelled causing Taekwoon to roll his eyes. The two teams pulled away with neither side relenting. Except the team on the right was slightly stronger and won by a strong margin.

“Damn it” Hongbin swore, kicking the a bottle lying around. It bounced towards Taekwoon who kicked it back to him in frustration. A couple of people giggled when Jaehwan and Sanghyuk imitated Hongbin and Taekwoon.

“Yah!” Taekwoon protested, kicking the bottle again.

 “Not this way! There are puppies here! Go play foot-bottle somewhere else” Minah told the lot, only to be imitated by Sanghyuk. “Hold my puppy” she scowled, making Haneul hold her puppy while she zipped up her jacket. “Let's have a proper match and see who wins!” Hakyeon proposed.

“You're all on!” Hongbin yelled, taking a ball from Youngbae.

“Let me remind you that you at football.” Sanghyuk chuckled, slinging his arm around Hongbin's shoulder who frowned but did shift Sanghyuk away, aware of Youngbae’s eyes on him.

The ball kicked off and Minah gaped at the speed at which Taekwoon took off.  She sped up to catch up with him, raising her hand for him to pass the ball to her and she received a blinding smile in response that made her heart nearly stop. Hongbin and Hakyeon ran around pretty much like headless chickens. Haneul decided to stay out of the rowdy behaviour, choosing to cuddle the puppies instead and watch.

Jiwon and Youngbae joined in, switching teams so that Youngbae was on the same team as Taekwoon and Minah. Jiwon closed in on Minah who the ball had been passed to by Taekwoon. Except Sanghyuk intercepted him but Jaehwan came screaming in and stole the ball. Minah cursed, hurrying after him as Jiwon came crashing into her she whirled around and shot him a glare as he sent her a charming smile only to be knocked into by Taekwoon who rushed past with the ball towards Wonshik who was goalkeeping.

Minah hurried closer to the goal so Taekwoon could pass the ball to her and when he did she hurried forward. Jiwon was in place as the defender. But her goal was to get the ball past Wonshik. Taekwoon passed the ball to Jungkook, the sales kid, who passed the ball a little too far ahead for her as she pushed herself forward dodging past Jiwon and shooting only to have his leg intercept and sending her tumbling as she squeezed her eyes shut.

When she opened her eyes Taekwoon was hovering over her pale with worry as Hakyeon and Haneul hurried towards them as Jiwon attempted to pick her up and rest her against him only to have Taekwoon swat his hands away.

“Did I score?” Minah squinted as Taekwoon gaped at her, still pale but he nodded. She chuckled, picking herself up and laughing.

“You're crazy.” Sanghyuk stared at her as she laughed till tears flowed down her cheeks.

“You sure she hasn't hurt her head?” Wonshik asked.

“No no, I'm fine, seriously Haneul, I'm fine. Let's keep playing.”

“Nope. We're playing statues since these idiots can't play without getting rowdy.” Haneul declared ending the short-lived match.

Which was how they found themselves pretending to be statues as Jaehwan (who Haneul had volunteered) counting down from 10 to 0 and trying to catch the people who moved. Then they played tag and every other children's game Haneul could think of because there was no way in hell she was letting these fellows get rowdy.

“I like a lady in charge.” Jiwon smirked at Haneul who rolled her eyes at him as Wonshik faithfully followed her with a blindfold for their new game of blind man’s buff. If he could have glared, he would have but right now, his hand was in Haneul's and he didn't particularly want her to let go. Jaehwan had hugged Haneul in his attempts to catch someone and hadn’t let her go either.

Jiwon and Youngbae returned with baskets of lunch after all the fun and revelry and the group descended on them hungrily. Minah found her spot beside Haneul who was now trying to hold a very persistent Jiwon off.

“Listen, Mr Jiwon or something, I don’t want to see you swimming. But you can teach Hongbin how.” she sighed as he went off on a story about his prowess in swimming.

“Yo, I’d find someone who isn’t taken to bother.” Jaehwan very calmly placed his hand on Jiwon’s shoulder and Minah could see how tight the grip was. Apparently Jiwon had successfully managed to anger one of the nicest people in the workplace.

“Yeah, Haneul has seen us swim and rather well, so if you’d like to compete I’m game,” Wonshik appeared as he placed himself in the space between Haneul and Jiwon “although if you really want to compete and lose terribly, you should go against Taekwoon, he won a few medals growing up.” he added, shooting Minah a look as she blinked back. Jiwon looked at the two men towering over him only to stand up, mumble an excuse,  turn around and bump into Hongbin who had been chatting with Sanghyuk (trying to avoid Youngbae) making him tumble into Sanghyuk’s arms. One look at Youngbae’s face gave away that more than simply falling into each other’s arms had happened.

“Oh my god.” Haneul chuckled as Hongbin whirled away from Sanghyuk as the two gaped at each other. Youngbae looked vaguely heartbroken as Taekwoon and Hakyeon gaped at the entire scene. Minah held back a laugh as the entire office gaped at the two bosses who now refused to look at each other in the eye. She noticed colourful tissue papers in the baskets which now sat in the middle, completely ignored.

“Hey! Why don’t we have a golden words session?” she called out, distracting everyone from Hongbin and Sanghyuk. The baffled look on their faces made her realize that no one had any idea as to what she was talking about. Sighing, she stood up “pick up a tissue, and write a nice note to people in your department. Stuff you appreciate about what they do!”. She heard a hum of approval as people hurried to the baskets to pick up handfuls of tissue.

“Let’s make this an intra departmental thing!” Jiwon declared making them split into groups yet again. He noticed Minah sitting aside and headed over to her.

“Why are you alone?”

“Due to strange circumstances, I don’t have a department.” Minah replied.

“Maybe I’ll write you a note!” Jiwon declared as Minah laughed.

“I think making me nearly suffer a concussion was bad enough. But thanks, that’s nice of you, you needn’t worry about me not getting a note.”

“Hey! Kim Minah! Get here!” Hakyeon waved a bright yellow tissue, trying to attract her attention.

“See? You don’t need to worry.” Minah chuckled, hurrying towards Hakyeon who had a bunch of written notes on his lap, all from different people. He the yellow tissue in her hand and she smiled, knowing there was a note in there for her. Unfolding it, she read :

Thank you for all the help and for keeping these idiots in line. You will always be my child! Don’t listen to Hongbin and Sanghyuk if they ask you to do stupid things, Cha Hakyeon will always protect you!’

Minah smiled at Hakyeon, who grinned back at her. She picked up her own pen and wrote him a note wishing him a happy birthday and thanking him for working so hard and being such a wonderful person. She handed it over to him only to have a tissue smack her on the forehead and land on her lap.

‘May you forever be my faithful and efficient house elf.

PS: stop giving me reports in that idiotic font.

PPS: The Sour Bomb trick worked. You’re a genius.’

Taekwoon scrawled another note to Hakyeon in hopes of him not quitting his role as head of finance. He cringed at how nice he was being in the note, he looked up to see a bright pink note in Minah’s hand as she giggled away at it. He had heard Jiwon talking to Minah about writing her a note. Was this that very note? Quickly tossing the note to Hakyeon, who squealed at it’s arrival, he furiously began scribbling into a another tissue.

‘Why are you so cute Jaehwannie? You give me such cute aggression that I want to bite you.’  Haneul read Wonshik’s note to Jaehwan over his shoulder and cringed. Sometimes she questioned Wonshik’s sanity, but forgave him because he was cute too.

‘You’re the chocolate of my eye Haneullie!’ Jaehwan’s note to her was brief but it had a tiny doodle of himself with chocolate bars for eyes at the end of it, making her giggle.

‘You are my ideal type Wonshikkie, please don’t bite me!’ Jaehwan scribbled into his tissue before tossing it to Wonshik who was busy writing a note to Sanghyuk.

‘Han Sanghyuk, you are the devil. I still like you, please don’t cut my salary.’

‘Dearest Hongbin, stop stealing all the girls and boys there is nothing left on the market for us normal people. But you’re still my love.

PS: let's not kiss again?’ Sanghyuk smirked as he wrote to Hongbin knowing he would probably kill someone after reading it.

Hongbin sighed as he read another message about his beauty from his team. Minah handed him a note as well which read

‘You’re a fun and smart guy Bean Man, though your methods might be a little out there. Please keep Slimy Lizard away from me forever <3’

He had his own note to Taekwoon in his hand ‘Boss man, we need you drunk more often. You’re a lot of fun then. But you’re cute, even if you don’t admit it. Don’t kill people (read Slimy Lizard and this guide). Thank you for not cancelling deals with people you didn’t like or we wouldn’t have any money.’

“Are you not writing a note to Minah? Because I think it’s time you make a move.” Haneul crept up on Taekwoon who nodded as she peered into the tissue paper he had been furiously scribbling on. Spotting a hot mess of Taekwoon’s attempts to draw Minah with puppies followed by a tiny scrawl of ‘thanks for the coffee’. She drew back in horror and attempted to hold him back from tossing it at her except she was a little too late.

“That is NOT how you make a move!” Haneul exclaimed.

Hakyeon on the other hand was beaming he had gotten wonderful messages from everyone and he felt so appreciated by his team and the other heads of the office. Of course he loved every single one of them, they were all too nice and loving even if they bullied him and annoyed him. He pulled the closest person to him (Wonshik) into a sudden tight hug to which Wonshik deadpanned while everyone else gaped at him, baffled.

“Best birthday ever!” he declared, making everyone sigh with relief as the day came to a close.

Minah yawned in her seat on the train as Sanghyuk took the seat beside hers. Taekwoon sat in front of her and Hakyeon took the seat beside his.

“Ah, Sanghyuk, I’ll need to take a day off next week.” he said as he settled down, causing everyone to sit up and look at him.

“For what?” Sanghyuk asked, suspicious.

“I have an interview…” Hakyeon began when Wonshik yelled a ‘No!’ and Hongbin shushed him while Jaehwan whined about Hakyeon leaving.

“For a magazine…” he completed and suddenly this whole plan to keep Hakyeon with them felt like an absolutely idiotic one.


Hey there!

After a minor writing block, we're back with part two of the MT of sorts! We hope you enjoyed it!

Thanks for reading!