1

Tales of a Consulting Firm

It wasn’t exactly a large office she walked into. They were a start-up after all. All she knew was that they had openings and she was in need of a job. She dusted an invisible speck of dirt off her grey work slacks as she thumbed at her documents surveying the office and the many cubicles in her vision.

It was mainly white and grey with royal blue pin boards. The area looked spick and span at first glance, but she didn’t miss the messy cubicle tables or the stack of boxes piled untidily in a corner of the large room.

“You must be Kim Minah,” she jumped at the sudden voice behind her as she turned to see a tall hulking man with a childish smirk on his face “did you bring your resume with you?” she nodded, his voice sounding familiar.

“Mr. Han Sanghyuk I’m assuming? It’s a pleasure to meet you.” She greeted as he waved towards the little meeting room. He laughed and nodded to her to take a seat as she felt slightly more at ease. Reaching out for her documents she panicked when his eyebrows quirked at the details in the printed sheets. He looked up at her gravely before sighing causing her to worry.

“We’re the same age.”

Minah’s jaw dropped as he cracked her another devilish grin. She made a mental note of the guy’s position in the office as the head of HR. Her father had warned her about men like him…I mean, people from HR. They were devious devils who extracted money like it was their birth right. Going by the first move, she knew she had to be cautious. Sanghyuk’s eyes roved over the documents again before looking back up, Minah gritted her teeth, preparing herself of the worst.

“What kind of candy would you keep on your table?”

“I beg your pardon?” she blinked, gaping at the man who surveyed her expression with great interest. The devilish smirk was still plastered on his face as he repeated.

“What kind of candy would you keep on your table?”

Minah pondered over the question for a couple of seconds before looking back up at him “Sour Bombs.”

Sanghyuk’s eyebrow twitched as he leaned forward, resting his elbow on the table “Sour Bombs?”

Minah met his gaze yet again while nodding “Yeah, because most people who take candy from other people’s desk by the handful. So why not derive some pleasure from their contorted faces as they cringe at the taste of critic acid?”

Sanghyuk leaned back with an amused smile before sticking his arm forward “Excellent, you’re hired.”

There was a silence as Minah stared at the man in front of her “Wait, hold on, what’s my job? What’s my pay? I know this is a consulting firm, but what exactly is it that you guys do?”

Sanghyuk's smile in response was something she couldn't place her finger on. Was it adorable or downright scary? Minah hesitantly returned the smile as the tall man leaned back on the chair.

"Well, VIXX Consultancies..."

"Ah," her voice escaped before she could even control herself. Sanghyuk looked at her questioningly. "I was wondering how to pronounce the name since...well it sounds a lot like that Vicks Vapour Rub." She smiled sheepishly as another amused laugh escaped his lips before he continued.

"We do...a little bit of everything."

Minah mentally prayed that this wasn't some underground Mafia business as the man seated behind the white table yawned.

"You're job profile is also to do a little bit of everything...and your pay is well..."

"'A little bit of everything' wouldn't fit here" Minah cut him off as he grinned.

"550000 won is the starting salary. The more 'little bit of everything you do, the more you'll earn." The devilish grin was back as Minah contemplated the salary. It wasn't a bad offer.

"I see some hesitance here. By a little bit of everything, I meant legal stuff of course. You might just work under different departments. That is all." Sanghyuk reassured her as she looked up at him in understanding before reaching her arm out.

"Well, then I accept."

A vigorous shake of hands and Sanghyuk clapped.

Almost as if in cue, the door flew open and another man strode in. He had a motherly feel to him and an air of confidence about him.

"Excellent, we'll start you off today since you seem all ready! Meet Hakyeon, mother of VIXX Consultancies...oww!" Sanghyuk's winced as the man next to him viciously neck chopped him. Minah stood up.

"Ah, I'm Kim Minah." She greeted as he warmly shook her hand.

"Cha Hakyeon. Head of accounting," he turned to Sanghyuk's "who is she working under?"

"Monster."

"Ah," Hakyeon nodded grimly as Minah gaped at them in panic. Who the hell was monster and why was she working under said monster?! Hakyeon turned back to Minah with a smile” don’t worry Haneul will take good care of you. If Hyuk gives you any trouble, you can come to me."

Minah wasn't reassured at all considering said person was called monster. But when she was led to her cubicle and a smartly dressed lady came up to her and grinned, she finally felt like she was in the presence of a normal person.

"Hi! I'm sure you met the youngest and oldest idiots here. I'm Haneul, I head tech here. So Hyuk told me you're going to be working under all of us. Welcome to tech."

"I'm Kim..."

"Minah, yeah. Brat sent me the deets. I'll be setting up your system now." Haneul bent over the desktop to configure it. Minah's eyes glued themselves to a man who had just entered her line of vision. He looked like a Da Vinci creation. Or rather, a Greek sculpture.

"That abstract piece of artwork is Lee Hongbin. He heads marketing." Haneul stated nonchalantly shifting away from the computer. Minah chuckled.

"Ah, a pretty boy? Man there are too many of those these days. You guys should have made him stand outside the office just to attract clients." She laughed as Haneul turned as looked at her. There was approval in her eyes.

"Thank God for that response. I see why brat accepted you. We'll get along famously."

"Were you half scared I would ask you for his number?" Minah asked as Haneul leaned against the partition between the cubicles. The latter rolled her eyes.

"Honestly I've been asked for his number so many times, I'm thinking of selling it for hard cash."  She watched proudly as Minah's eyes rounded in surprise and admiration.

"Woah. That's actually a brilliant idea."

"Duck child. Silent and violent is here." Haneul's voice came quickly as Minah ducked and peeked out from behind the partition. Long noodle limbs strutted in like a model. His face vaguely reminded her of a cat. But she couldn't look for too long as he quickly entered his office and the door flew shut. She looked at Haneul for an explanation only to see that her boss was busy with another man throwing his best aegyo at her.

"Haneulliieeee pweeeese help me?" He had the longest nose Minah had seen on a person and pillowy lips that he pursed and pouted till she watched Haneul crumble.

"Fine Lee Jaehwan. But this will be the last time!" She groaned, frustrated "plus boss just walked in and you're already causing trouble. Who put you in charge of creatives? What an idiot he is."

Ah, so aegyo man was Jaehwan. Minah mentally noted his name.

"Taekwoonie saw my potential." Jaehwan thumped his chest as Haneul rolled her eyes.

That mean cat man was Taekwoon, he was the boss. Minah nodded to herself. She heard Haneul yell at Jaehwan for messing up something that was under Wonshik’s jurisdiction and it was stupid of him to ask her for help since she couldn’t do anything about it. Jaehwan whined pitifully as Haneul sighed yet again before turning her attention to Minah who was going through the system software, trying to get herself acquainted with it.

“Minah, go to the inbox and you’ll find your work in it. Get started while I help this dummy out. Just peek over the cubicle and ask someone if you need anything.” She explained as Jaehwan looked at Minah with exceeding interest.

“Hi, I’m Jaehwan! Nice to meet you!” a sweet smile was sent in her direction, overwhelming her. She returned the greeting with the appropriate formalities.

“So…” he began only to have Haneul clear and point in another direction “I’ll see you around?”

“Right.” Minah nodded as Haneul sent her an apologetic look before dragging him off. She turned to her system, finally opening the inbox only to feel another pair of eyes on her. Once she had finished reading the instructions on the email, she turned around to see another tall man still looking at her. What was with the company and tall men?!

“Uh, I’m Wonshik, I was told there was a problem?” he looked at her as she shook her head “Ah, okay.” His voice was deep and smooth and Minah could see him looking around awkwardly, as she stood up to greet him. She figured he hadn’t come to solve any problems, but to take a look at the newbie in the workforce.

“I’m Minah and I’m new here, please take care of me.”

The awkwardness faded a little as he greeted her back only to have all further conversation interrupted by Jaehwan running away from a fuming Hakyeon and Haneul.

Minah blinked.

What the hell had she gotten herself into?


I shall warn you. We shall not be updating very often since we are very busy college students. *nods*