Fourteen

Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"So even if Jaesoon was to testify that he saw Mr Goo shooting Junhyung, it is not strong enough an evidence to charge him with murder?" Doojoon repeated his question, in an angrier tone and higher decibel.
He was ticked off by the rudeness and unhelpful man that was sitting in front of Yoseob and him. 
If he could, he would kick the man's leg under the table just to express some of his unhappiness but he had to constantly remind himself to maintain his professionalism.

"Attempted murder", Yoseob quietly corrected him, sending chills to Doojoon's spine immediately as he regretted his little slip from his anger.
Doojoon gave an apologetic smile and patted Yoseob's back who merely nodded in response to show that he wasn't mad. 
They have arrived at the police station and were trying to gather as much information as possible so as to better fight the case.
However, it had been an hour since they have arrived and all they got from the police was how Jaesoon was the biggest suspect and how it was highly unlikely that Mr Goo was the one who pulled the trigger of the gun while Junhyung was still fighting for his life in the operation theater. In fact, Dongwoon had informed Doojoon that nurses had ran in and out of the theater, bringing bags of blood with them. 
Doojoon can't help but feel a tiny sense of relief for if Yoseob was not in the police station, he would probably break down again when he sees the nurses being all frantic.

However, in the police station, it felt like they were playing tug of war with the police and they were losing strength and power, losing sight of the other end of the rope. "Yes, he's not a reliable witness since he is a murderer", the unhelpful man stated, as if he was speaking of a fact, as if there was an ounce of truth in what he was saying. 

"Was", Yoseob corrected the man, taking in the dark circles under his eyes, the stubs of unshaven hair the lined his jaw and the crooked yellowish teeth that showed obvious cigarettes' stains. 
He smiled a little to himself as he realised that oddly enough, the man did not have the after smell of smoking, which makes Yoseob's plan much more easier to carry out.

"Even if he was a murderer, does that naturally means that he can't be telling the truth? 
I believe the police has been advocating for second chances for convicts to the public, so why are you so sure Jaesoon is lying?
Besides, is there any proof that Jaesoon was a murderer?" Doojoon asked indignantly, aghast at the obvious biased behavior of the police man.

"Mr Goo had admitted that his secretary could have hired Jaesoon to murder a man---"

"Could have?" Yoseob growled, his voice now louder than a whisper and with a tone of disbelief,  an eyebrows raised as he continued, "You are accusing Jaesoon based on a 'could have'? 
Strange enough, you have so much trust in Mr Goo's words but when Jaesoon is there in the study room, when all of us, including a whole police team entered the room and testified that there was more motive for Mr Goo to be the one who have shot Junhyung, you still choose to trust Mr Goo's words instead of us!"

"Mr Yang, you do not speak to me in such an accusing manner. You might be an established and capable lawyer but here in the police station, it's not your territory. 
This is my territory so your sarcasm and sneaky phrasing of words here will get you nowhere.
We work by following the law, following justice, and not by twisting our words or participating in debates."

Yoseob gave a loud snort of laughter, "Following the law? Following justice? I wonder why is the superintendent talking to me then when it is usually the team or division leader instead.
It seems like I need to question your boss on your pay. You are paid more but you are doing the job of a team leader, that doesn't seem fair.
Are you guys that short handed here?" 
Yoseob smirked as the superintendent kept quiet, obviously unable to give a smart retort to him. 

"Don't think I am not aware of this special treatment Mr Goo is receiving and let me tell you this Sir, you can sue me if you want.
When I bring Mr Goo down, you will not remain in the top too." Yoseob added as he leaned back in his chair, intertwining his fingers together as he watched the flustered man in amusement. 

"Are you threatening me, Mr Yang?" The superintendent clenched his hands into tight fists, his body trembling slightly in anger.

"I told you, you may sue me if you want to", Yoseob rolled his eyes as he gathered his bag and headed to the exit, Doojoon following closely behind him.
Right before he stepped out of the door, he turned around and smiled, "By the way, just to give you a heads up. The next time I see you, Mr Superintendent, it will be in court. I'll be saying words harsher than this and my manner would be more accusing than this because in case you didn't know, that is my territory. So bring a pacifier and on it just in case it gets too scary alright?" 

Doojoon released a bark of laughter as Yoseob walked out of the door without waiting for any reply from the superintendent. 

"You were awesome!" Doojoon gushed as they headed to his car, presumably to return to their office and work on the documents that they have. 

Yoseob gave a small smile in response as he opened the car door and settled down on the seat. 
He began rummaging through his bag and just as Doojoon was about to question him on his actions, a familiar black tool was in his hands.
Doojoon tilted his head slightly, still curious as to what Yoseob could have recorded with it that would be useful to the case.
Yoseob wasted no time in addressing the questions forming in Doojoon's head by pressing the play button, allowing the superintendent's voice filled the insides of the car.

When silence fell once again, indicating the end of what Yoseob's trusty tape recorder had recorded, Doojoon leaned forward to pull Yoseob in for a hug and ruffled the smaller lawyer's head playfully, "Lawyer Yang, you never fail to surprise me." 

Yoseob grinned and keyed in an address into Doojoon's GPS, "You know where to head to now right?"

Doojoon chuckled to himself, "Sunshine Kindergarten, here we go!" 

------   "We are here today for the attempt of CEO Yong's life, the Prosecutor may begin", the judge stated, signalling for Yoseob to start.

"Yes sir, I would like to charge Mr Goo for attempted murder of CEO Yong two days ago in his study room. 
Mr Yong is now in a deep coma under intensive care treatment, in a critic al condition, his life being still at stake." 
Yoseob calmly reported while Doojoon gave him a watchful eye. 

Prior to the court hearing, they had discussed and decided that Yoseob would continue being the lead prosecutor despite receiving a call from the hospital that Junhyung's condition in the hospital was worsening. 
The operation had ended after 18 long hours but they had not returned to the hospital as they were heavily occupied for the case.
Doojoon had wondered if it was actually a blessing in disguise as it kept Yoseob's mind off things but after the phone call that just took place two hours ago, he was hoping that the hearing would end as soon as possible. 
  Yoseob was evidently trying to remain strong and composed when he conveyed the news to Doojoon after hanging up the phone. 
Doojoon had seen the trembling lips and glossy blank eyes but he respected that Yoseob did not want to break down at that moment and had tried to divert his attention back to the case.
The smaller lawyer had insisted on being the lead prosecutor, mumbling that that was the only thing he could do for Junhyung now.
Doojoon wanted to be the one so that he could help relieve some stress and burden from Yoseob but was snapped at in return.

"Junhyung is struggling for his life now because he saved Jaesoon from the gunshot. 
If I can't save Jaesoon from being blamed for Mr Goo's acts, then I would not only be the most incompetent lawyer but also the world's worst boyfriend!"

When that had been said, there was pretty much nothing Doojoon can do but to accept the unwavering decision of the smaller male.
"But the moment you as much as show a little weakness, I'm stepping in." 

Yoseob nodded in agreement to that before reading through the case again for the millionth time and Doojoon sighed before proceeding to join him.
It was a tricky case. They were sure that the evidence to charge Jaesoon was weak but so was the evidence to Mr Goo. 
However, the police was on the side of Mr Goo and that makes a significant difference in the way the court hearing would progress. 



They can only hope that Yoseob's plan would work.




"I object", the defending lawyer spoke as he stood up and listed down the reasons of why it was impossible for Mr Goo to be the culprit and as to why it was more likely for Jaesoon to be. 

Yoseob gave a sideways glare at Jaesoon who was snarling at the defending lawyer from behind the stands. 
This was not the right time for Jaesoon to display any aggressive behaviour in front of the judge.  Catching the piercing glare, Jaesoon frowned and sunk back into his chair and crossed his arms angirly.   "The evidence are not solid nor concrete enough to place any charges on Jaesoon. All the assumptions are basically, assumptions. 
These are all only against Jaesoon because of the presumption that Jaesoon is a murderer." Yoseob argued back.

"My secretary hired him to murder Chan. The police has the video that can proof that Jaesoon performed that act." Mr Goo interrupted.

Yoseob smirked, 'the fox has revealed his tail', he thought.   
"Oh? Based on what I know, Mr Yong was the one who was thought to be have murdered C
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter