River Flows In You

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I was walking by the long hallway to my father's study but stopped at the first door at the hallway. I turned the knob open and pushed the door wide open for Jiyong and I to enter the room. I walked towards the grand piano and saw how shiny it still looked even after abandoning it for a decade. Nobody has ever gone into this room for the past decade because it was the room that my father had personally created for us three and himself.

I heard Jiyong let out a small 'wow' before looking around and touched the shelves that held several music notes, books, and autobiographies about musicians that my father loved. Aside from doing business, our father really loved playing the piano. He was a big fan of classical music, but I didn't really know how to play.

I just usually sat on the black couch located at the end of the room and watched as he played.

Jiyong pulled out one of the music notes my father had placed on the shelf and asked, "Do you play?" I looked at him and shook my head as I took a seat on the black couch and crossed my legs. Jiyong pulled another music note and brought them towards the grand piano. I furrowed my eyebrows and just watched him.

He aligned the music sheets on the sheet stand and started to play a very familiar masterpiece.

Yiruma's River Flows In You. 

I froze and realized it was my father's favourite piano piece amongst the ones he had played. He always played this when I was sad, or whenever anyone of us were. It gave me a sense of comfort, and a sense of security just hearing Jiyong playing this song but it also sent me a sense of grief; possibly the feeling of missing my father.

I bowed my head and closed my eyes, only to let the tears fall down involuntarily.

I clenched my fists and bit my lip. I couldn't move because of how beautiful the music was to my ears, it was as if I can see my father's back sitting on the wooden chair in front of the piano. His hands smoothly playing the grand piano as his body followed through the soft melody of the song. I opened my eyes, only to find Jiyong ending the piece with his slender hands.

I stared at his back and was mesmerized at how he beautifully played the music. 

He sighed and turned around, only to lock gazes with me. I don't know why I couldn't keep my eyes away from his, but strangely, I was deeply moved by his brown orbs. Was it because he played my father's favourite song? Was it because I liked the fact that the song reminded me so much of my late father? 

I blinked and immediately looked away. I gulped and heaved a sigh before standing up, "L-Let's go."

I walked away almost immediately but was stopped when I felt him touch my elbow. I froze and didn't know what to do. Should I shove him away? Should I softly take his hand out of my arm? Or should I just continue standing here like an idiot? I don't know why he was stopping me from getting out of this room, but it frustrated me that he wasn't speaking. 

"L-Let go," I muttered as I tried to take my arms out of his grasp but he won't budge.

Suddenly, his grasp on my elbow was gone but he spoke in such a soft way that I couldn't comprehend it, "Do you want to learn how to play?" My eyes flickered from the ground to the door. I furrowed my eyebrows and next thing I know it, I was being dragged to the grand piano. He took a seat at the edge of the wooden stool and patted the spot next to him. 

I looked at him and furrowed my eyebrows. 

What was he doing? 

He looked at me with an expressionless face and continued to pat the spot next to him. However, I remained frozen. Jiyong stood up and pulled me to the stool beside him and gave me a small smile, "Was it so hard to sit beside me?" Then, he chuckled as he placed his fingers on the grand scale piano. I looked at him and possibly stared as he started to play another song. 

It was a song that was very familiar. 

Maybe because it was the same song my father taught Bom to play. Yiruma's Kiss The Rain. Why was Jiyong playing only Yiruma's song? Why does it have to be the songs my father used to love playing in the piano? Suddenly, he stopped playing and looked at me. He caught me staring at him and tilted his head on the side, "I know I look handsome, but don't make it so obvious." 

I shook my head and scoffed lightly before looking away. 

"Do you know the basics at least?" Jiyong asked as he placed his hands on his lap. 

I shook my head and said, "I did, but I forgot them now." 

Jiyong nodded his head and said, "I presume you didn't even watch me play the song because you were busy looking at my handsome face, right?" I made a face and looked at him. "Don't be so cocky, Mr. Kwon. I wouldn't say you're that handsome compared to others," I rebutted as I placed my hands on the piano and started to play with it. 

I didn't know if I still could play something, but I did learn a few songs. Although I'm not confident if I could deliver it as smoothly as my father did, maybe my fingers remembered how to play them. I started to play a little bit of Yiruma's River Flows In You but stopped almost immediately as I forgot the rest. 

I let my fingers afloat above the keys and sighed before putting my hands on my lap. 

"That's all I know," I whispered as I remembered our father teaching us the song patiently. Jiyong nodded and continued the song for me. Seeing as how he effortlessly played, he seemed to have learned piano for a long time. I looked at him and couldn't help but ask, "H-How long have you been playing the piano for?" 

He stopped pl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter