Fight For Me

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was the last day I would step foot in this mansion, not in a long while that is. I was inside my room, studying when someone knocked on my door. I looked through my vanity mirror and told the person to come in. It was butler Jung. He slightly bowed his head and stated, "Your father wants you at the living room, young miss." 

I sighed and nodded my head, "I'm coming." 

Butler Jung bowed again before leaving me alone inside my room. I looked at the pile of unread textbooks on my desk and left the open one unattended before I left my room. I walked down the stairs, only to see every single family member at the living room. I raised an eyebrow out of curiousity, is this a family meeting? I thought for a moment. 

I walked to where they were and my father immediately told me to sit down. 

I looked at our extended family and that included my aunts, uncles and cousins. Hell, even my grandfather and my grandmother were here. My grandmother stood up from her seat and came rushing to me to give me a hug. I closed my eyes as I hugged her back, "Oh dear... halmeoni missed you so much." 

I sighed in content and nodded in response, "Me too halmeoni."

She pulled away and cupped my face before kissing me on the forehead. I smiled slightly as she pulled away, silently going back to her seat. I can feel the whole family's stare and I admit it felt quite uncomfortable, but I was used to it. I knew I was always the centre of attention in the family. I was the sick one. I was the most fragile one, and most especially, I was and still the heiress of this company. 

No matter how much I dejected the latter, I had no say to it. 

After long minutes of utter silence, the head of the house finally spoke — our father. 

"All of you know that Dara will be undergoing treatment starting from tomorrow," he started off and I saw our family nod their heads in acknowledgment. I felt someone squeeze my shoulder and I knew it was my sister. I looked at her as she gave me another squeeze of encouragement. 

"And all of you should be aware that a week from now will be Dara's 25th Birthday..."

And as if the world has stopped, everyone didn't move and kept their silence. 

I wasn't a mind reader, but I knew where this was coming from. "All of you should be aware of my late brother's will and testament that Dara, Park Sandara, will be the sole heiress of this company." And that was it. The huge burden finally came out of my own step-father's mouth and I immediately felt the struggle within me. 

"As her step-father, I want to make this come true for Dara and of course, my late brother. It was his dying wish for his youngest daughter to reign this empire and I should, and will follow his wishes," he stated and in a matter of seconds, I stood up from my seat and looked at my father with a glare. Everyone's attention shifted to me and then to my step-father. 

He looked at me, unfazed. 

"Now Dara, the only question is... will you take this opportunity? To grant my brother's dying wish?" 

I couldn't answer, and I heard whispers around the room as if I wasn't present. 

"Do you think she'll take it?" 

"But she has cancer, do you think she's capable of doing it?" 

Although I felt restless, I had to say something although I didn't want it. Not every cell in my body wanted that position, that power, and that money. I didn't want to be obligated to carry on the tradition of this company, let alone shoulder all the employees and my father's workers under me. 

I bit the insides of my cheek and heaved a deep sigh before giving out my answer. 

---

"Dara! What did you just do?! You... you can't do this!" Hongjun oppa exclaimed as he paced back and forth inside my room. I was sitting at the edge of my bed beside my sister who was just looking blankly into space. I know I made a huge decision, but I knew I couldn't burden anyone any longer. 

I wanted to shoulder all the struggles that my family may have to face in the future alone. 

"I'm not changing my mind, oppa." I told him firmly. 

He stopped pacing around and looked at me with a worried look, "You're getting treatment starting from tomorrow. This means you're going to be in bed rest for a long time until you're well enough. Why did you do this to yourself when you, yourself know that it isn't healthy for you?!" 

I sighed and abruptly stood up from my bed, "Because I don't want to burden any of you any longer! I don't want all of you hurting because of him! I don't want him to destroy you, or unnie's life! I want our old life back! When he was out of the picture..." By then, I started spilling tears out unconsciously. 

"I want...to go back to the past," I sobbed and collapsed on the floor. 

My sister and my brother came rushing to me, hugging me tightly in their arms as they sobbed together with me. Protecting me all these years were enough. Now, I wanted to do something for them although I knew I'm not in the best condition to do so. 

I'm j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter