Day Two

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I groaned as I helped myself from getting up on the bed. I just woke up from my sleep after my second chemotherapy session and it felt like hell once again. Yesterday, I was knocked out as soon as the IV bag became empty. I felt weak, vulnerable and more sick. I knew what the side effects were and I was well aware of what I would feel after. 

Jiyong was currently taking a nap on the stool right beside my bed, but I didn't even notice him. 

I was too busy feeling the pain around my mouth and my lips have never felt so dry. I weakly lifted my arms up to feel my lips but it just burned under my touch. I hissed and placed my weak arms down and tried my hardest to stand up from the bed, but I just fell back down on the bed, making me groan even more. 

Suddenly, I heard quick shuffling behind me and I immediately felt Jiyong wrap his arms around me. 

"Hey! Are you alright? Did you want anything? Do you feel nauseous? Or do you feel like vomiting?" He asked me worriedly. His eyebrows were furrowed together as he looked at me with nothing but concern. I shook my head and said, "Ani, I-I just wanted to stand up for a change. I've been lying down since yesterday." 

He sighed before sitting down beside me, but never letting go of me. 

"You know you're still weak. We have five more days to go, Dara. It will pass by in no time," he muttered. 

I nodded weakly, "I know..." 

The days just feels so long. I already feel bad enough that Jiyong has been staying with me for the past two days. He has a duffle bag full of his necessities for the whole entire week and I feel bad about it because I know he's not used to this lifestyle. I was, but he wasn't. "You know, you don't need to stay with me for the whole day. Go out with friends, I know you're feeling stuffy," I told him. 

However, he frowned.

"I'm not just your boyfriend, but I'm your fiancé Dara," he stated. 

I looked at him as he continued, "...we may have not said our vows yet but I want to fulfill all of those future vows even before we get married. We're in this position for all the wrong reasons our parents put us in, but I want to let you know that I'm not here because I feel the need to, it's because I want to." 

I was feeling ill, yes, but what he just said just melted my heart and I couldn't help but smile. 

He grinned before cupping my cheeks with his hands, "You look much better smiling." 

I rolled my eyes and shook my head, "As I said before, stop trying to be cunning." 

He looked at me teasingly, "But you fell for me though." I looked at him, deadpanned before scoffing. I shook my head and lightly smacked him on the thigh, "What a conceited jerk." He laughed before wrapping his arms around me tighter than before. 

"A handsome jerk," he added. 

I smiled before leaning my weight against his side. I knew I won't be able to move around as much, but I don't want to seem too dependable to Jiyong because it just seemed unfair. We started off on the wrong foot, and here we are, falling for each other blindly. I feel very grateful for meeting such a great man even under a very unusual circumstance. 

He slowly laid me down on my bed before kissing me on my forehead. 

"I'll let the nurse know that you're awake. I'll be back," he whispered before walking out of my hospital room. 

I sighed, closing my eyes and furrowed my eyebrows. The pain on my skin seemed to be more unbearable than yesterday and I know it will only get worse. I could already feel the dryness around my lips and I know I'll feel dehydrated soon enough. Maybe I should just ask for unnie to come? Or maybe oppa?

I opened my eyes and sighed heavily. 

The door of my hospital room immediately opened, following the nurse on duty behind Jiyong. He walked around my bed while the nurse disconnected the IV wire on the needle in my arm. She took the IV bag out of the silver stand before throwing it in the garbage nearby. 

She looked at me and gave me a smile, "How are you feeling, Ms. Park?" 

I gave her a small smile, "Not bad." 

She nodded and said, "If you feel uncomfortable, that is normal. However, if you wish to ask for painkiller, feel free to let us know and I'll tell Dr. Kang." I nodded my head weakly as she proceeded on checking my vitals before going. I watched her go out of my room as I heaved a deep sigh. 

Jiyong looked at me and asked, "Are you sure you're fine? Do you need anything?" 

I looked at him and muttered, "Maybe water?" 

He nodded his head and immediately stood up from the stool he was sitting on and walked towards the water dispenser and got me water. He walked back towards me and placed the cup of water down on the bedside table and helped me lift me up from my bed. I leaned against the head board and took the cup from Jiyong. 

I sipped from it and felt somewhat relieved. 

I finished the whole cup of water, handing the empty cup to Jiyong. He threw placed it on top of the table and asked, "Do you want to lie down again?" I shook my head and said, "No, I'm sick of lying down all day." He sighed and said, "Do you want to go outside in the garden then?" 

I looked at him, my eyes twinkling in anticipating. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter