Beside You

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The night was done, at least for the guests and the party itself but in our household, it wasn't. I immediately rushed to our step-father's study and did not even have the patience to knock on his doors. My jaws were clenched as I held in the anger going on inside my head. In my head, I have already killed our step-father a million times, but unfortunately I cannot do that. 

Only because it's not legal to kill someone and because I'm not a psycho like him. 

Once I entered his huge study, he looked up, with his phone against his ears and immediately hung up. He raised his eyebrows in curiosity as he placed his smartphone down on the dark wooden desk. "And what business do you have with me at this time, Hongjun?" He asked, clasping his hands together and placed them on top of the desk as he stared at me. 

I clenched my fists together, holding back the urge to punch his face. 

I walked closer and gritted my teeth, "What the was that all about?" I tried to ask in the most calm voice I could ever emit. My step-father's left eyebrow rose in amusement as he stood up from his swivel chair and chuckled. Disgusting. I followed his footsteps, while he shoved his hands inside his trouser pockets and then looked at me. 

"Now now, Hongjun. What are you saying? Did something happen? Did I do something to trigger this... attitude of yours?" He asked with a smirk, his voice obviously trying to taunt me. 

I heaved a deep breath before walking closer, enough to see his disgusting face. I don't even know how I managed to control myself from killing him because of his revolting behaviour. "Why? Why did you tell the whole world about Dara?" I asked him, anger evident through my voice. 

He scoffed and shook his head, "About Dara? What was I not supposed to tell everyone?" 

It was as if he was pretending he didn't understand what I was trying to say; he's the definition of an absolute obnoxious man. Maybe more. I glared at him and said, "She did nothing for you to tell the whole world about her weakness. She did nothing to you, so why are you targeting her with your stupidity?!" 

My step-father heaved a deep sigh before walking towards me and stared me down. 

"You're right. She did completey nothing, and that's all I want. She can continue doing nothing because of her illness and I will take care of the company myself. So if you don't want to be kicked out of the company, you better treat your father right, Park Hongjun," he threatened before he shoved me on my chest. 

I scoffed and shook my head in utter disbelief before looking at him in disgust. 

"Do you mind etching this in your stupid head? You will never be our father and you will never get this company. I will give my all to protect Dara, omma, Bom and this company so you better watch your back, samcheon." I smirked and immediately walked out of his study. 

---

I was sitting by the window pane, watching as the tears of the sky fell on the ground. I bit my lip and wondered if my father's tears had caused the rain to fall on Earth. I sighed, burying my face onto my knees and closed my eyes. I didn't have the energy to cry anymore because there were no more tears left. 

I was torn and broken. I did not want reality to sink in yet, but I had no choice but to think about it. 

I'm diagnosed with reoccuring lung cancer and it's the battle of living and dying. I don't know if I would lose or win, but I was contemplating if I should even try to win this unfair battle. When my father died, I lost all will to battle my illness but my siblings had brought me up my feet and fought it with me. 

But how am I going to fight it this time around? 

Could I possibly fight it with Jiyong? Will he stay? Or will he just leave me like my mother did? I lifted my head at the noise coming from my door and saw Jiyong coming in discreetly. His eyes found me and he immediately showed me a small smile; a smile that didn't even reach his eyes. I knew it was just an act. 

An act that I was not convinced upon.

"Hey..." He greeted as he slowly made his way towards me. However, I didn't even have the energy to respond so I just gave him a nod and looked away. Possibly away from the reality, but reality pulled me back when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked at his reflection from the window and saw him looking at me with sad eyes. 

No... don't be sad because of me.

I sighed and asked, "What are you doing here?" 

"To check on you," he stated, looking at me through his reflection on the window. I turned around and looked at him before giving him a small smile, "I'm alright, you should go home now." He shook his head and placed his hands inside his pockets, "I'm staying over." I raised my eyebrows. Did I hear that right?

He's staying over? I wondered. 

I made a face and asked, "What? Why?" 

I didn't want to come off rude, but what was his reason for staying over? He smiled and shrugged, "I just wanted to spend time with you, is that wrong?" I blinked and furrowed my eyebrows. He wants to spend time with me? "But... we can do that tomorrow or some other day. Why now? And do your parents even know?" I asked in disbelief. 

He chuckled and took the spot beside me by the window and said,  "They were the ones who suggested this anyway." 

My eyes widened in shock, "Y-Your parents did? But... why?" 

He smiled, "Because they were worried for you and I was too. It's just natural that I'm here for you, isn't it?" I blinked in surprise, utterly speechless. His parents were worried for me? I bit my lip and looked away, trying to busy myself with the raindrops hitting the window. 

"You didn't have to stay over though," I whispered. 

Although my heart stated otherwise, I didn't want him to know what I truly felt. Of course, I didn't want to further burden him with my illness, neverthless, to baby me and be there for me even when we weren't husband and wife yet. That is, if my health permitted me to still wed the beautiful man beside me. 

I heaved a deep sigh, now looking down at my knees. 

"Jiyong... aren't you scared?" I asked him rather quietly as I tried to be as audible as I could be. I saw him from my peripheral vision; his smile suddenly turned i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter