Realization

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Wait, wait, so you mean to say, you're willing to get married with Kwon Jiyong?" Bom unnie asked, her facial expression seemed to show a lot of her confusion as she stood in front of me while I sat down on the edge of my bed. I looked at her, expressionless and nodded my head in response to her question. 

My sister made a face before pacing back and forth and then stopped almost immediately before looking up at me and asked the most ridiculuous thing she could ever ask, "Are you sure you're my sister? Are you sure you're Park Sandara? You're not some alien who abducted my sister while she rebelled against our evil step-father aren't you?" 

I rolled my eyes at her ridiculousness and shook my head. 

I sighed heavily and said, "Yes, I am Park Sandara, your sister and stop being so weird. I was not abducted by aliens and aliens are not even real, unless I can specify you as one then there is." She scowled before walking towards my bed and sat beside me. 

She looked at me and asked, "Is there a reason why you changed your mind so suddenly?" 

Suddenly, her question threw me off. I didn't know what to say because I was honestly speechless. Did I have a reason as to why I stood up from my step-father? I should have agreed and told him I didn't want this marriage in the first place, but here I was, standing up opposite from what I wanted initially. 

"I-I..." I muttered, not really knowing what to answer her question. 

"Wait... do you, by any chance, already like Jiyong-shi?" She asked quite skeptically, her eyes burning into my soul. 

I gulped and looked away before shaking my head profusely. I didn't know why I was denying my feelings, but I knew, deep inside my heart, that I was somewhat feeling something for Jiyong. I don't know if 'like' best described it, but I'm certain it is something I cannot explain simply. She crossed her arms and fully turned towards me as if she wanted to interrogate me until I tell the truth. 

"That's not the truth. Something is telling me that you're not telling the truth right now, Dara." 

And damn she was right. 

Why did she have to know me so well? But to be honest, I was also curious of how the heck my sister knew Choi Seunghyun. I furrowed my eyebrows and fully faced her, like how she's posed right now and asked, "Enough of me, let's talk about you. How do you know Jiyong's friend, Seunghyun-shi?" And as if the tables have turned, she looked away immediately. 

She stood up abruptly and muttered, "I-I forgot I have to do something. I-I'll see you later Dara." 

And I couldn't even call after her because she literally ran away from me. When she slammed the door shut, I sighed and shook my head. I looked at my window and looked into the sky, "Appa, did I do the right thing?" I whispered as I stood up and walked towards my desk and decided to just spend the day studying. 

---

I was standing straight right in front of my father's study. His face contorted with stress while holding onto his head. He sighed deeply before looking up to me and stared at me with his eyes that showed utter disappointment, "I never expected anything like this from you Jiyong. I'm disappointed but what else can I do? What's done is done." 

I bowed my head automatically as soon as I heard him say he was disappointment with me. 

All I felt was guilt riding over me and worry over the fact that I hurt my parents and possibly Dara. I don't know if I hold such a strong impact towards Dara, but I know she does to me. "I'm sorry appa. I'm not even going to try and cover up my mistakes because I admit to all of them, but please believe me when I say I won't do the same mistake anymore." 

I heard him sigh again before speaking up, "Dara's father contacted me this morning, saying your engagement won't be pulled off, but this doesn't mean I'm letting you off the hook Kwon Jiyong. If it weren't for Dara-shi, your engagement would have been called off immediately." I furrowed my eyebrows and looked up curiously. 

What did he mean by that?

"Dara stood up for you, much to Mr. Park's dismay," my father continued to explain. She stood up for me? What did she tell her father? Did he get mad at her? "S-She did that?" I muttered, and my father nodded in response. He clasped his hands together and placed it down on the desk before looking at me with a serious gaze. 

"You have to do it sincerely Jiyong. I can see that you're already developing feelings for her and I'm happy to see that, but just know you can't ever let Mr. Park call this engagement off, or Dara will just get hurt even more than she is now. You're her only hope, Jiyong. Please do me and her late father a favour and protect her," he begged. 

I furrowed my eyebrows even more at the confusion. Late father? What did he mean by that? 

"Late father? W-What do you mean by that appa?" I asked. 

He pursed his lips into a thin line before smiling weakly, "Time Jiyong. Only time will tell." 

---

I bit my lip anxiously while lounging inside my living room, my phone on my hands. I deliberately hesitated whether to call Daesung or not, because I didn't want to seem like a nosy person but it kept bugging me after I dropped Dara off their home. I recalled the time she cried hours at the garden of the hospital and wondered what could have possibly happened. 

It certainly didn't seem like good news to me. 

I sighed and ruffled my neatly styled hair while groaning in frustration. I looked at my phone, closing my eyes as I made my final decision. It was now or never. I would never know if I wait until Dara told me because I knew she would never tell me. She was a woman with pride and I knew her pride won't let her tell me the truth. 

I opened my phone and found Daesung on my contact list. 

I hit the green button on the screen and hesitantly placed my phone against my ear. The continuous rings started to irritate me as I bit my nails fervently. Why is Daesung taking so long to pick up his damn phone? I anxiously thought. I sighed heavily, about to pull the phone away from my ear when I heard Daesung speak through the other line. 

"Hyung? What's up?" 

I immediately sat up straight and answered him, "Daesung! Can you do your hyung a really important favour?" I heard various shufflings on the ot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter