Chapter 9

Steel Heart

 

Lena and Chanyeol arrived at thе loft a few minutes before the concert starts. Lena grunted when she saw that they couldn't find better places than at the most back of the crowd.

'Do you want to go at the front?' Chanyeol asked with a grin on his face.

Lena looked at him suspiciously but nodded and pouted. At least this was sincere. She was thankful that he brought her here.
'Then follow me,' he said and caught her hand. Lena tried to pull back because she didn't want any skinship. He didn't let go and just continued dragging her to the front.
Lena was bumping into people and immediately apologising. They seemed annoyed and so did she. Chanyeol was such a selfish boy. These people might have stood there for hours...

Well, they didn't really care.
When they finally reached the front, Chanyeol let go of Lena's hand and put his hand on her shoulders instead. Lena shivered. Chanyeol's hands were sweating from anxiety. He wondered why he was even anxious.

'Chanyeol,' Lena started. 'Could you please let go?'

Chanyeol watched how words escaped her lips but he didn't hear anything. She waved in front of his face and then he heard her.

'Chanyeol? Did you hear me?'

'Sorry, what did you say?' He smiled awkwardly.

'I asked if you could put your hand away.'

Chanyeol slowly moved his hand away from her. He cleared his throat and turned his gaze to the stage and expected the band to come on stage every second.
Lena stared at him for a while. He's such a dork, she thought. At least she could entertain herself with him. At that thought, she giggled or more specifically made a strange sound which was only similar to giggling. Lena didn't know what got into her as well. She was having fun, really. Watching other people perform and watching Chanyeol going crazy over some band was fun.

After the concert, Lena asked him if they could just go home because she was tired. He said it was fine and he truly understood what was on her mind. Maybe she wasn’t comfortable. But I’m not comfortable with her around me as well, he thought. He would continue lying to her but she would continue to have those side effects such as smiling from time to time or giggling at things that weren’t funny at all. She is strange, he concluded.

 

 

Sunday morning was lazy. Lena did schoo lwork the whole night yesterday because she missed a lot. Even though there was a new party in a piano bar tonight, she didn't feel like getting up. Lena turned off all alarms when the first one woke her up in 8.30AM. Then her aunt decided to play the role of the evil devil.

'Wake up already, Lena!'

Lena grunted and covered herself with a blanket. 'Leave... alone,' she managed to say.

'Today is very busy day, you know. We have to go to the beauty salon because they won't be able to come. Besides, guess whose mother will be at the bar...'
Lena opened her eyes and rubbed her face. She uncovered herself and stood up.

'Mrs. Park?'

'Yes, she will be there because of you. She already knows some things about you but she said she wanted to see you herself.'

'How bad can it go...' Lena frowned. Well, maybe she had to go after all.

...

The limousine was on time as always. They drove to the loft, let's say, pretty quickly that Lena couldn't even look at herself in the mirror again before leaving the car. This time she had to be, and was, more elegant since she was going to meet a CEO of a designer company. She wore lilac knee-length dress and her hair was straight with a matching ribbon, with flower, in it. Once she stepped out of the limo she felt the mild wind. The  night was going to be strange, mild winds never bring good things.

The party was in a piano bar. The piano bar was all black and white which was kind of the perfect decoration, Lena thought ironically. It was also decorated like the previous loft where there was a party - glitter and sparkle everywhere but it was very dark. The lights were situated on and around the tables. And there wasn't a dance floor, only a piano.

'Ah, there! Do you see them?' Lena looked around and when her aunt poked her it was too late to continue searching. 'Be nice.' The Park family was slowly approaching but to Lena it seemed like the speed of light, still enough time to examine them. The woman was elegant and simply dressed, if that was possible, iwth a one-tone dress, same length as her own. The father wore probaly one of the most expensive suits he could find, that was for sure. And finally their son was the same classy hot man as he was the previous time. His hair wasn't messy or just simply pushed back, it was nicely calmed on one side. That way his face stood up more, Lena noticed.

'Good evening,' Lena and Mary greeted, bowing to the older ones.

'It's very nice that we get to meet now,' excitedly stated Chanyeol's mother.

'Yes, indeed. I am honoured to meet you. Having your own company must be very exhausting but yet, delightful,I guess,' Lena smiled.

'What can I say,' laughed Mrs. Park, ' I love my job.'

Chanyeol was sitting quietly beside his father, trying not to burst in laughter. He watched in amaze how these two women were bonding and how magnificent Lena looked that night, not for the first time. She even looked beautiful when she had been in hospital for a whole week. Even though she was only a mission, a target, a part of a deal, Chanyeol couldn't deny that she was probably one of the most beautiful girls he had ever seen. Her beauty was constant but always changing and he couldn't explain it. Words weren't his best feature. He couldn't say or describe what he was seeing.

Lena, on the other hand, knew exactly what she was thinking and what she wanted to say about him. He was a dump boy. She also wasn't sure if he knew it was and would be a game. Was he taking it for real? All of what she was doing? Appearance, that he didn't have a single flaw, aside. As for the rest, he was the awful boy that was in the band of boys that disgraced her every day. But no more. She had already put an end of it, right? And yet, he still repels her.

'Lena?' somebody woke her up from her thoughts. She shook her head and put on some stupid smile, whatever she could find in the database, and looked at Chanyeol's mother. 'You should come with us, your aunt will cope on her own.'

Lena looked around. Her aunt ditched her with the Parks. Fabulous, she thought. Before being able to say anything, she ly to see a familiar figure standing in front of her. The man clung on her arm while smiling like an idiot. 

'I am pretty sure my mother likes you,' Chanyeol reached for her hand.

She gave him a judging look and pulled her hand away. 'Go away.'

The boy chuckled and soon their reserved table was found by his parents. His parents ordered alcoholic drinks but Lena wasn't sure if she was allowed to. Chanyeol ordered a glass of champagne. Lena wondered for a good few seconds while everybody was staring at her uncomfortably.

'Red wine, please.'

'Great choice, they serve very nice wine here, you'll see.'

The drinks came fast and Lena grabbed the glass and drank the half of it at once. The family was staring at her because they had barely touched the glasses with lips. Chanyeol watched in amaze but quickly melted from his frozen state and drank.

'I think you might want to slow down,' smiled the woman.

Lena smiled back awkwardly. She put the glass back on the table and laid back on the comfy... sofa, couch or whatever that thing was.

'So, Lena,' started again Chanyeol's mother. 'Your aunt told me you accepted my offer for our spring and summer line.'

Chanyeol frowned. Offer, summer and spring line. He knew what that meant.

'What line and offer? Is that for the model... thing?' he asked anyway.

'Chanyeol, you disappoint me! You should've known that I'm looking for new faces every year. And this year will be special, because you'll be one of them, right?'

'Do you need faces like this? Why her?' he raised his voice and pointed at Lena.

She moved next to him, so he didn't have to raise his voice more because they were going to ask them to leave. 'I can still hear you, dear classmate. And it's not very sweet of you.' They were just a few inches apart.

'Yes, I chose both of you.'

Lena had that feeling that she will choose her son in the exact year she was doing this model thing and she accepted. Well, that was an ironical sacrifice.

'It's not like you couldn't predict it, right?' Lena smirked at him but he had his eyes widened and he had a big frown on his face. He looked like he has just seen a ghost. But he still didn't believe it.

'Oh, come on, Chanyeol. You're my son and you have to do this! Do you know that you two with these faces will hit the jackpot?'

Lena smiled at that statement. The woman was right. They made quite a pair and would definitely made it into the business. That was the moment Lena understood it was important to have connections with mighty people in the economical world.

Chanyeol drank nervously of his champagne. He ordered a second glass and a third. He drank all of it and every time he kept the amount in his cavity and frowned at the fizziness of the drink. Lena was internally laughing at his attempts to get drunk. Was he even trying?

'Did you know about this?' he asked her after some time.

'I could predict, yes, but I wasn't certain.'

'And you approve?' his confusing turned into amused smirk.

'Approve what?' Lena asked like a shot man.

'You approve that I'm handsome and so are you, is that it?'

Well, that very direct. Lena was caught in something she didn't plan. She couldn't ignore this statement. If she said yes, he would begin imagining something completely different. If she said no, it would be an obvious lie. She decided to let it slide.

'Maybe I do and maybe I don't.'

Chanyeol was confused. It could be partly from the alcohol but he wasn't sure...

Had she falled for him and just pretended to be hard to get. He didn't want to think of it at that moment. All he wanted was... not to get drunk but he couldn't stop drinking that champagne. It was probably the best he had ever tried. Chanyeol was starting to get a little bit dizzy but he ordered more. Then his eyesight became clearer and he felt a sudden warmth.

 

'What the hell...' he whispered to himself. Lena was laying back and looking around. She was probably bored.

It was indeed, for her, very boring. Sitting next to a grown-ups and listening about business while your classmate is getting drunk next to you with champagne was not exactly what she expected or what she imagines it would be. She didn't want to sit there anymore. Where was her aunt anyway?

'Kim Lena,' Chanyeol laid back next to her but he ended up almost lying onto her. 'What are you doing? We haven't talked in a few days.'

'Two hours,' she said, not paying attention on her drunk friend. Did he really get drunk  that easily?

'What did you say?' he laid closer.

'Nothing.'

'Come on, it has to be something.'

Chanyeol again raised raised his voice and he was the only person to speak so loud in the bar. 

'Lower down your voice, you...' Lena scolted him as if he was a little child.

'What?' he giggled. 'I think you are very... very pretty tonight.' He screamed again and his family finally turned and noticed that he wasn't exactly himself. Lena covered his mouth and whispered.

'Come with me,' she stood up and dragged him near the exit. 'I will call you a taxi, you are drunk.'

'Well, whose fault is that I got drunk? If you knew about the photoshoot, why didn't you tell me earlier, you fool? Chanyeol yelled. But like nobody heard them.

Lena didn't say anything. He was talking to her sassily like that, how could he? It wasn't her fault that he agreed to play according to Kai's rules. She decided to look for her aunt and just go home. She looked around. Chanyeol saw her wandering look and something in him snapped. When Lena was about to leave, he told her this time to follow him.

He led her to the piano. Nobody was playing then. 'What are you doing?'

Chanyeol tapped his hand on the seat next to him. She sat.

'Listen,' he said and began playing.

He could play the piano? That boy was unpredictable. Chanyeol didn't have that clueless and lost look that he did a couple of minutes ago. He was serious because he really wanted to make this a memorable moment. Lena watched in disbelief how this boy played. He indulged himself to the music. It didn't pass a long time until he started singing. Lena was startled at the sudden voice escaping his lips.

 

When the night falls,
again your image calls.
I feel the shivers from the opened window,
covering my heart like a winter meadow.
The moments we spent together,
weren't meant to be stored like bitter.
The times you heard me cursing,
just know it's not about you missing.
Even if I'm ordinary and you're gone,
I will be next to you, your Argon.
Try and stay well, farewell.

 

The lyrics were beautiful and his voice was perfect. He didn't look like the tough tall guy you would meet at the street or anywhere at all. He looked like an angel with such pretty words coming out of his chest like a blessing. She didn't notice when he finished the song .

'Lena...' he muttered.

'What?' she snapped. 'Umm... That was...'

'Awful? Disastrous?' Chanyeol widened his eyes and his stomach hurt from a sudden anxiousness.

'That was beautiful.'

'Acutally, -' he started but Lena's aunt interrupted him.

'I'm sorry, sweety,  but we have to go. I will wait you outside, okay?'

Lena nodded and turned back to Chanyeol. Was he really sure he still had the courage to say it out loud.

'Actually, I composed it for you. That was kind of an apology for everything that I did.'

And you are about to do, Lena thought.  But wasn't this some kind of freaking obsession? Should she feel honoured?

'Chanyeol,...' she paused. 'It was incredible. Thank you.' Lena was sincere. Only this time, for the second time. Never again.

They stood like that for a couple of minutes, staring at each other. Chanyeol was rethinking about something he wanted to do. He was thinking a lot about it recently. But he didn't have courage. Then he thought, why did he need courage? Come on, Chanyeol, it's just one ing task, one ing deal.

He stood still until Lena waved him for goodnight.

'Goodnight, Kim Lena,' he whispered but he was sure she heard him. 'Sleep well.'

Lena exited the bar. Maybe he didn't repel her as much as she thought...