Chapter 13

Steel Heart

 

Two weeks later

 

Lena was walking to the gates of the school when she suddenly stopped in front and even blocked the entrance of some of the other students. She didn't care.

'Hello!' Yosong greeted her from behind and scared the crap out of her. Lena was't sure if this friendship could work out in these curcumstances but she tried to be positive and give the poor girl a chance. Yosong justs dind't know what Lena was capable of. Lena was scared of herself sometimes.

'Hey,' Lena smiled back. 'You really are an early bird, huh?'

'Same goes for you!'

They both chuckled. Lena was actually having a pretty good time. This was the first time somebody didn't ask her about her past and the feeling of building a new character and image was amazing. The two girls were together all the time, that Lena almost thought that they were normal teenagers. Normal, thought Lena, just as Chanyeol said. They were buying clothes, accessories, cosmetics and shoes together, just as normal teenagers. Most often, they both walked to school because they were living in the same neighborhood. That was good. Lena had already forgotten for Chanyeol, Kai and the deal because they didn't appear in her life anymore, not since that talk with Chanyeol and the middle finger for Kai. Chanyeol stopped calling, speaking to her or throwing her angry or dreamy looks.

The girls walked into the classroom. Their chuckles broke the awkward silence and everybody stared at them. The other kids were jealous because actually Lena turned out to be a famous person in the school.That started on her first day when Kai turned her tray and she was bullied like a fool for quite a long time. Nobody knew her story and she preferred it that way. No, actually there was one person.

'So,' started excited Yosong while the others were listening. Well, they didn't show a sign of listening, but everybody knows they actually did. 'Tell me about that play on Broadway.'

'Oh, not again. Please, I don't want to discuss it.'

'Come on, tell me.'

Lena bent her head and then looked at Yosong all happy and cheerful, something she hasn't been for long time.

'Okay, so, I will be in a play called 'The Dutchess of Malfi'. It was written by an English dramatist and since I was in England, I was chosed for the part. I played it in England as well but there will be one on Broadway as well and I was invited by the same group to play the part again. They are coming here next month, November, and we will practice straight for four months, of couse, not in a row. The play will be presented around the end of July or in the beginning of August. I just can't wait!'

Yosong was watching Lena with fascination. 'Woah, I wish I could come and see you!'

'Well, you can. I will get you ticket, no prob.'

Lena chuckled again.

 

Chanyeol heard everything from his seat because the silence in the class was very outrageous for an ordinary day of school. So Lena was going to be star. Well, that was something. Even Oscar-winning actors can't get their asses on the Broadway stage, how did she do it? That didn't matter for him because he didn't care.

'Hey, did you hear that?" whispered Baekhyun in Chanyeol's ear. 'Isn't this very suspicious?'

'Why would it be?' replied Chanyeol.

'I mean, bro, it's Broadway. I wish I could star in a musical and perform there... But that will be just a dream. Hers came true. Who is she anyway? I don't know anything about her. You spent a lot of time with her, tell me something.'

Chanyeol glanced at Lena for a few seconds, enough for her friend to see. He quickly looked away. Baekhyun was still waiting for responce.

'Her parents are important people.'

He wasn't even sure if that was true. Anyway, he didn't care.

 

'Hey, Lena,' Yosong whispered. 'I caught your ex staring.'

'What?' Lena gulped nervously.

'That Chanyeol guy or whatever, Kai's friend.'

Lena placed her left hand on her thigh and grabbed her skirt. 'He's not my 'ex'. He never was my boyfriend.' She clenched it tightly until her nails cut her skin. She felt the blood dripping on her clothes. Lena immediately stood up and ran out of the classroom.

Stupid girl, she only pissed me off. Why does everything remind me of that stupid deal, God!

Lena rushed to the school's ladies' restroom. She tried to wash the blood off of her skirt but she couldn't.

'Damn it!' Lena cursed.

Her hands were stained with drops of blood all over them. Lena stared at them for a while and that reminded her of her previous life in England. Scars all over her face and hands, bruises on her legs and back, pain in her head. Lena smeared a drop of blood on her cheek and smiled to herself in the mirror.

 

Eight months ago; England

(play these tracks for mood: 1. / 2.  [in another tab] )

 

'Say that word once again and it's over with you!' yelled Lena at Claire.

'You freaking bastard!' screamed Claire while Lena was chasing her around the classroom.

'Girls, please stop!' Nobody heard the teacher.

Lena was furious and she wanted to hurt somebody because she was the one in pain. She managed to reach for Claire and pulled her closer. She wrapped her hand around her collar and pushed her on the ground. Claire was screaming and cursing but what Lena was hearing was all the things she said about her and her family. Claire was also trying to get to Lena and pull her hair but Lena had her feet on her wrists, so the poor girl couldn't move even an inch. When Lena got control over Claire and her body, she punched her in the cheek. She punched again and again and again until a wound that had to be stitched appeared on Claire's face. The girl closed her eyes and was receiving every punch with a curse word for Lena and her family.

'You will apologise, you , sooner or later!' Lena yelled in her face.

'Only over my dead body!'

Lena's sparkle in the eyes fired again and she didn't think about her actions twice. 'So be it.'

Lena punched Claire and shook her body, scratched her hands and ripped her clothes. The blood from all the wounds from the repetitive punches made Lena to smear it all over her uniform. The energy that required such beating was escaping Lena's body. The teacher had already called the security who pulled with all the strength they had to separate Lena from the beaten girl.

'Lena Kim to the principal's office right now!' yelled one of the teachers on duty for the day.

Lena was dragged by the security to the office. 'I can walk by myself.' She muttered but they didn't hear her. They reached the office and she knocked, then entered. The principal was a man, around forty. They were both silent for a couple of minutes, then the principal stopped reading her file and looked up at her.

'Do you want to tell me why this happened?'

Lena didn't know what he meant exactly. 'With Claire or in Korea?'

'Both.'

'They were mean but they didn't know who they were dealing with. I have temper.'

'Yes, violent and quick temper.'

'Not violent, but quick - yes.' Lena stopped and looked down. 'Claire also insulted me. I didn't start it!'

'I understand but I guess you know what I have to do now... Do you?'

The girl nodded.

'You will stay here for the rest of February and wait for the holiday. Then I will have to... How to say it more gentle... Well, you will have to leave.'

Lena looked at the man in the eyes and didn't say a thing. She turned around and was about to go when the principal spoke again.

'I liked you, Lena, you were an excellent student.'

She rolled her eyes. 'I am an excellent student.' She turned around. 'I don't do it on purpose, you know. Beating people.I just can't control it.'

'You will have to change because I see that in your previous school you had a horrible discipline as well. Get yourself together because you can't just go around abuse people for your own pleasure.'

Lena was offended by these words. She had never done it on purpose. Her body was doing its thing. She could never know what was going to happen because she was losing herself during that time. Lena turned around again and left.

She walked to her locker, got her things and exited the school. As she was walking down the streets of Bristol, she suddenly stopped. She closed her eyes. The wind was blowing into her face and her body trembled from the coldness. Lena smiled but started crying at the same moment. She didn't know what was happening to her these months but the most disturbing thing was that she was enjoying every bit of that feeling when she hurt somebody. It was giving her some strange kind of confidence and strength. Lena opened her eyes and was blinded by the sun. Her hands were also trembling not from the coldness, but from the all the tension she put on her muscles for those punches. Claire's drops of blood were still on her hands. She enjoyed the view and the feeling of being superior.