Chapter 12

Steel Heart

 

The next day of school was awkward. Chanyeol and Lena were exchanging looks all the time and yet no one smiled to the other one. Kai was watching them constantly. He was kind of jealous that his targer turned out to be someone else's. Something in him triggered and after the first two classes of looks and nervous thoughts, Kai decided to talk to Lena. He had stopped to for a while after what she said to him.

'Lena,' he whispered in her ear, leaning on her shoulder in the break between the periods.

'Ohmyinggodwhat-' the girl jumped of fear. 'Jongin... What do you want?'

'I... I want to ask you... Are we okay?'

'What do you mean?'

'I also wanted to apologise for the last week... and the week before that. You know what, I will say it like that - please, forgive me, I was mean.'

Lena studied his face. He seemed to be somehow sincere. Could that be truth? Kai and 'sincere' in one sentence?

'Fine. Anything else?' She said finally.

'Okay, so now that we've cleared this, are you free after school?' He asked. Lena didn't believe what she hears.

'Firstly, we're not that good and secondly, I am free but I won't go anywhere with you.'

'Please,' he begged, pouting.

What the hell? What did he want? Then suddenly, Lena remembered what she saw in the hospital. Kim ing Jongin had put somebody into hospital, in coma, and he probably asks the same now. He just doesn't admit it. He is a sociopath.

'I'm not sure,' she said looking in Chanyeol's direction. He wasn't looking at them. Maybe he really wasn't interested in the deal and that was why Kai was asking her out. Lena raised her voice and tested Chanyeol. 'Okay Kai, I will go out with you after school.'

Chanyeol immediately shot his glare in their direction. Kai and Lena were smiling at each other.'Cool,' Kai said. He was probably excited if that was what you call that feels like it is choking you and you can't help but let go as screaming because it was ing suffocating you and killing your lungs, then yes. He was excited.

Chanyeol wasn't pleased. He might had just approved that his fears were true and he could do nothing to stop Kai. Kai would definitely tell her everything. Then what would she think of him? She would despise him even more than she despised Kai.

Lena looked at Chanyeol who was unintentionally staring at her. But like, really staring. His eyes were so widened and seemed so big that they would explode from his eye sockets. She didn't react and just turned around, smiled to herself and continued reading.

That's my kind of revenge, Chanyeol, you will remember these months, you will remember this bet.

 

When school was over for the day, Kai was already waiting for her in the school garden.

'You're late,' he exclaime.

'No, I'm not,' Lena replied. Her mask fell, it was time for her real feelings towards Kai to show. 'Let's just finish faster.'

'If you want to,' Kai smirked and put his hand on her waist. Lena scoffed but she was too late to react. Kai kissed her.
Lena hit his chest but ing Jongin was stronger. She managed to pull away after a few seconds. 'What the is wrong with you?' She yelled at him, wiping .

'Nothing,' Kai replied, smiling. 'I'm just a normal boy who shows his feelings. They are true, believe me.'

Lena smiled viciously. 'Behind every "truthful" mask hides an ugly truth.'

'That's not it. Do you want to date?' 

'What? Have you lost your mind?' Lena was so disgusted by his words that nearly wanted to vomit. She laughed mockingly and turned back to leave.

 

Chanyeol saw from the library that Kai was waiting for Lena, for their little "going out". She came after a few minutes and the boy saw that they were talking about something. Then suddenly, Kai grabbed her. The way he did it was the same he tried on other girls. Lena fought and when she pulled away, she seemed very angry. She turned around and raised her middle finger, her back facing Kai's face. Chanyeol slightly smiled.

What was that idiot thinking anyway? Lena was Chanyeol's task. Nevertheless, that wasn't the first time he stealed someone else's girl.

Lena was furious. Earlier, she called her driver that she would go out after school. Great, now she had to walk. After couple of hours, she managed to drag herself to the house, feeling great pain in her legs.

She closed the door of her room and burried herself on the bed. Then her phone rang. She picked it up and asked who it was, her voice only heard as a moan.

'Hello? Lena?' Somebody asked.

She sat in her bed and said. 'Yes?'

'Have you still not saved my number? It's Chanyeol.'

Lena slapped herself. She held her breath for a while. 'Goodnight, Chanyeol.'

'Wait, wait! About yesterday, the necklace I gave you-'

'I told you I don't want anything from you.'

'Yeah, I got that, I just wanted you to know that Kai sneaked behind me and put the necklace on you. I guess this will help you like him even more after your date.'

Lena smiled victoriously. 'It wasn't date. I tried to punch him because he kissed me.'

Chanyeol chuckled but the chuckle turned into a laugher.

'Was is that funny? Or is it just your ability to turn into a creepy five-year-old?'

'Maybe both,' Chanyeol answered.

'Good night.' Lena hung up. She lied and fell asleep fast and easy.

 

Lena was sitting on a bed in a dark room, seemed it could be hers, with poor lightening coming from one light bulb. She saw that somebody was approaching her. She was speechless. No, she couldn't speak. She wasn't able to.

'You should've told him,' that someone spoke.

Tell who? Tell what? Lena couldn't see his face very well but the voice was familiar.

'You shouldn't have kept it secret so long if you knew.'

She felt her voice cracking as she opened and let out a painful moan.

'What... What are you talking about?' 

The guy laughed.

'Did I say something funny?' Lena insisted.

He came closer and closer until he stopped right under the bulb. Kim Jongin. He was in her room and they were talking about something she couldn't figure out. Why would she talk to him?

'No, it's just me who is funny,' he smiled and kept silent like that. 'It's about what you saw in the hospital.'

Lena snapped. Kai. The sick boy. The secret.

'What about it?' She asked.

'Won't you tell your boyfriend?'

'Stop playing, brat. You know very well that she is not my boyfriend.'Kai approached Lena. She trembled and tried to back off but there was no way back. He put his hands on the bed and stared at her just a few inches apart from her face.

'Listen, I want you to be honest about what you feel towards the boy. And me.'

'What are you saying? Can you hear yourself talking ?' Lena scoffed.

'I'm saying that... You should consider confessing, so that Chanyeol and I get what we want faster.'

Lena stared at him as well and crossed her arms in front of her body. 'What is it that you both want?'

Kai removed his hands from the bed and smiled again.

'You.'

Then he kissed her passionately but Lena didn't back off. Did she like it? Was she enjoying Kai's company?

Before she could understand, she opened her eyes. Lena was covered in sweat and had removed all blankets she had on.She closed her eyes again for a second to calm down and stop her heart from beating so fast.

'What is going on the hell?' She asked herself.

Lena couldn't fall asleep again after the dream so she decided to take a walk. It was pretty early in the morning. The fog was covering the streets of the neighbourhood and she couldn't help but smell the disgusting 'scent' of the small streets with no exit. It's like there was a rotting animal out there. She decided to walk further than that.
As she walked down the street she spotted a familiar figure in the distance. Lena thought of the possibility to hide but where? There was nowhere where he wouldn't see her.

'Lena?' The figure asked.

She turned around.She saw actually a face she could recognise in History classes. A girl she forgot the name of.

'Hello?' Lena greeted awkwardly.

'Hi, what are you doing so early out here?' The girl asked excitedly.

'Um, just walking. I wanted to clear up my mind.'

The girl walked closer to Lena and took her hand. 'I don't think you know my name. I am Geum Yosong.'

Geum Yosong?

'Hello,' Lena made small bow to express her friendliness which was not her strength. 'I am sorry but I'm not good in relationships, so excuse me if I ever say something stupid to you.'

'Oh, no, no problem. I am the same as you,' Yosong smiled.  'By the way, would you like to have lunch with me? After you did that... thing...' and she slapped herself for saying that. 'Oh my, I'm sorry.'

'It's fine.'

They stood on the street speechless, smiling awkwardly at each other. Finally, Lena broke the silence and suggested that they go.