Chapter 15

Steel Heart

 

The same day Lena decided to go to the library and grab a few classic books to practise her Korean. Honestly, she hadn't practised a lot when she was last in England. She did nothing back there actually. Maybe she wanted to read Shakespeare but when she thought of the time in England, she put the book with plays back on the shelf. She could read 'Pride and Prejudice'... and again, too complicated for her mind in her teens. Probably she would reach for it on her graduation day. If she was still in this school. According to her calculations, she would be in this school until graduation.

While searching for the perfect book, Lena felt disturbance in the library. Whispering and whinning filled the air. What the ? Read silently, God...

Lena didn't want to know why there was a commotion and that's why she tried to deceive herself that it was the noisy reading.

'The library was the last place I thought I'd find you.' The voice in her ear sounded familiar. Shiveres went through her spine and her head spinned. Can't be true.

Lena turned around. Her senses didn't lie the first time. It was him. 'Sungmin?'

The tall boy smirked and leaned on the shelf. Lena scoffed and smiled widely. She was happy to see him but at the same time she didn't want her classmates to know of her business, so she spoke in English. Yeah, it was hard for them to understand her anyway.

'What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in Scotland with your brother?' She asked him.

'You didn't say goodbye.'

'I thought you wanted to go there.' Lena avoided his comment but he insisted and repeated. 'Look, maybe I didn't want to say goodbye.'

'Because you thought you'd be back "in a few months"?' He leaned closed. 'I need you.'

'Min, stop with this bull, it's not working.' Sungmin is her "ex" as she likes to call him. They never broke up but when she moved, things changed. Lena, though, doesn't want to go back. Or at least she thought she didn't want to. ‘I’ve changed.’

‘Yeah, I can see that. You look girly, I hate that.’

You know that in everyone's life there is a good friends and a bad friend that teaches you how to be the rebel.

‘Did you miss me? Because I know I’ve missed your craziness.’

Lena sighed. ‘No, I didn’t miss you but I’m glad to hear that somebody remembered me with good.’

Lena stopped what she was doing - turning the pages of a random book - for a second and put it back. 'What do you want me to do? Embrace you like I used to with pot in one hand and beer in other?'

'Slow it down, I'm not dragging you down. You wanted pot, I gave you pot.'

'Well, you, Min! I don’t think I want to dive into the depth of your depression again.'

‘Hey, I wasn’t depressed.’

‘Anyway,’ Lena said, looked at him for a second and saw that burning desire again. ‘I still love you but you have to understand that at the same time I feel nothing.’

Sungmin narrowed his eyes. ‘You’ve got somebody else. But we’re practically together.’

Lena sighed, flipped her hair and went back to her classes.

 Later that day, Sungmin was introduced to the class and had his eyes on Lena the whole time. He knew what she wanted to get back to him but she didn't want to do it because she thought she changed. He noticed some dude staring at her and from time to time him, throwing shades from distance. She certainly changed, Sungmin concluded after a couple of classes of studying her attitude and mood. He had to admit. She looked calm and patient. That was a strange change. Lena was always the energetic and wild type of person.

During the lessons after she met up with Sungmin, Lena thought about his words and her actions. She pretended to be interested in everything that was going on in the classroom but it was not that convincing, according to her.

When the last period was over, Lena just herself “ it!”. She grabbed her things, went up to Sungmin and dragged him out of the school. They hid behind in the garden.

‘What happened?’ He asked her.

‘I’m being so stupid right now. Please, don’t leave me because I want your help.’

‘Anything for you.’

Lena frowned and started telling the Chanyeol and Kai story to Sungmin. He wasn’t happy of her actions. Why was she playing with these idiots? They were not worth her attention.

‘Why are you even doing this?’ Sungmin asked. Lena was dumbfounded.

‘Um… I don’t know,’ she stopped. ‘It’s maybe because I don’t want to be humiliated!’

‘What do you want me to do?’ Sungmin had to admit that he was feeling a bit offended. Then he decided to spit it out. ‘Lena, I don’t understand why you are using people this way. Tell me because I don’t understand. I will wait for you to come when you’re done thinking about yourself. You were right, you’ve changed.’

Lena was even more dumbfounded. ‘Well, you changed as well. You adore me, why are acting like this. These morals never interested you anyway.’

‘They did, I tried to block them. You weren’t that selfish before, trust me.’

Sungmin left her in the middle of the garden. Lena was frowning and cursing and couldn’t understand if she had to lie to him or wait to see what will happen. She would probably feel awkward and apologise. Though, that wasn’t her nature. Lena didn’t like apologies. They were just pathetic way to say you’re and did wrong with the person which is most probably not the case.

Lena went home and expected to study but what she did was lie on the bed and start reading that book her aunt gave her for her birthday a few weeks ago. It was about a man who couldn’t open up his heart to any woman, and he used them only for pleasure. But, of course, like in every romantic book and movie, he meets a special girl that is almost just like him. She’s never been in a relationship and at them. They overcome their inner problems and open up to each other. However, the man dies in the end but as it’s written “He dies happy that he was able to love at least once in his life”. The girl was a lot smaller than him and she manages to continue living her life somehow. Lena surprisingly found herself crying like a pig at the end. When she looked at the clock after she finished reading it, she realized that all of her time for studying was gone. It was okay. She understood what she lacked in the soul of hers.

‘Honey,’ her aunt knocked on the door. Lena wiped her tears. ‘I’m coming in! What is going on? Did you finish your school work?’

Lena opened . ‘No, I haven’t even started.’ She couldn’t dare to lie this time.

‘How is that? What were you doing all this time?’

‘I was…’ Lena lifted the book with one hand. ‘I was reading. It’s very beautiful.’

Her aunt smiled widely. Lena suddenly stood up and ran to her aunt. She hugged her and squeezed. ‘Thank you for everything.’

The woman chuckled. ‘What is going on? Come on, please, don’t make me cry.’

Lena was hardly holding her tears. When the woman left the room, Lena closed the door and let a loud sigh, then slowly collapsed on the floor. Her cries were silent and that was a relief. She didn’t know why she was crying at all, or maybe she did but she didn’t want to admit.

 

Lena barely heard the alarm in the morning. Her aunt didn’t wake her up and that was strange. She couldn’t open her eyes for hours. When she failed, she fell asleep again.


A/N: If you are following this story, then you would know that this is the newest chapter and HAPPY NEW YEAR, friends! Thanks to all my subscribers! Enjoy this first chapter for the new year, I promise I will finish the story this year and anticipate the later update of Chapter 16 :)