Chapter 10

Steel Heart

 

Monday morning was like a pain in the . After last night, Lena almost hadn't slept. She didn't think what he was doing to Chanyeol was right. She knew she had to revenge Kai and friends but... maybe that was just too cruel. He couldn't fall in love. No. That would be the opposite of what she wanted. What if he wasn't falling in love? He might had also just been playing all the time. Like her. But did he know that?

Lena stood up and looked around her room. The dress and coat from last night were still on the sofa. Her shoes were somewhere in the room.
Then her phone beeped. Another Chanyeol message? Yes, of course. 

"Do you want to meet me after 40 minutes in the school garden? - P.C."

Lena thought about it. She was going to tell him that she knew what was going on.

"Sure. But I just got up. I will hurry. -L."

Lena was fast. She dressed up and prepared herself in roughly 15 minutes. The next 20 she was going to use to get to school.

Chanyeol was waiting for Lena in the garden sitting on the only bench. He was holding a small box. He was smiling foolishly. Was she going to like it? Actually, why was he doing that? He was spending too much money on the deal.

He saw Lena walking slowly rubbing her eyes. Chanyeol smiled bright and stood up. Lena saw him from afar but kept her resting face. What was that idiot doing at that time wide awake and so cheerful?

'Why did you call me here so early?' Lena asked immediately after she reached the giant figure.

'Good morning,' he sheepishly greeted. 'I thought that I might... Ah, sit, please!'

Lena listened to him and sat on the bench. She put her hands in her pockets – the wind was mildly caressing her skin, but it didn’t matter how mild it was, she wanted to go back home and feel the warmness again.

'Here,' Chanyeol stretched his trembling hands, holding the small box. 'Take this.'

'What is this?' Lena asked surprised. He was bringing her presents now? How... why?

Lena took the box and opened it. There was a necklace with a very cute pendant. The pendant was a heart with an empty space inside it with the shape of a heart. Lena smiled unintentionally.

'Do you like it?' Chanyeol asked her with excitement.

'Yeah, very much. Thank you,' she turned to face him. His ears were tomato red and he was smiling crazy. His left eye was narrowed from his creepy smile.

'Let me...'Chanyeol didn't finish and he quickly got up and ran behind the bench. He took the necklace from Lena's hands. They were freezing.

Chanyeol was pulled back by somebody. It was Kai. He grabbed the necklace from his hands and put it on Lena’s neck. He didn’t touch her but it was awkward enough because Chanyeol felt helpless.

Kai then turned back and smiled playfully at Chanyeol and made a sign for him to follow.

'I'll be right back. Don't turn around, okay?' Chanyeol whispered in Lena's ear. She was startled by their sudden contact on her shoulder. Lena nodded and didn't say anything. She closed her eyes and actually fell asleep.

Kai hit Chanyeol's arm once they hid behind the bushes.

'What are you doing? What is this all about?'

'It's for you, idiot. I've been playing a long time by your rules. Don't you think you don't have the right to criticise me?' Chanyeol asked angry.

Kai saw something in Chanyeol that made him question the mission.

'What has happened? Did you confess?'

'No, not yet. What do you want me to do, you moron? I am tired of playing!' yelled Chanyeol.

'Who do you think you're talking to?' Kai yelled in respose. Then he snapped and couldn't exclude the idea. 'Did you really fall for this girl?'

'What?' Chanyeol frowned, still angry at what Kai was scolding his friend. He thought for a second but he was nowhere near falling for her. 'No, I didn't.'

Kai narrowed his eyes. It was like he was about to see something beyond Chanyeol's knowlegde and deep inside his head.

'I can't figure out if you're lying or not. Well, I guess we will see. Try to stick to the plan. I give you a month maximum to confess. Make sure she is yours, okay?'

Chanyeol nodded uncertain. He couldn't do that to the poor girl. She was too innocent and kind and such an angel to do that to her.

No, Lena wasn't an angel. She was the Devil himself.

'Lena,' Chanyeol yelled at her. Lena woke up at that moment. Chanyeol scared her. He was angry. 'Get up, let's go to class.'

Lena looked around. Chanyeol was hanging above her shoulder.

She didn't question his decision. Instead, she calmly replied. 'I don't want to go yet. I'll stay here for a little more time. You can go, see you in class.'

Chanyeol was almost on his way when he heard what she said. Could he stay or just ignore her? He turned and saw her staring somewhere in the distance. No, she was way deep digging into her own soul.

'Alright, I'll go then,' he said and turned around and walked away.

Lena stared at the couple in the distant park. They were so happy. She wished she was happy in a different way, too.

Her phone rang. It was her aunt.

'Hello? Lena, where are you?' The woman asked.

'I'm at school. I came earlier,' Lena replied.

'You ruined my surprise!' She yelled

Lena frowned. 'Huh?'

'Happy birthday, honey! Wait... Don't tell me you forgot it is your birthday!'

Ooops, Lena really forgot. She didn't know which date was yesterday or the day before. 'I actually did. But I want to ask for something. I really don't feel like staying at school today. Can I just take a stroll?' 

Mary, the aunt, didn't say anything at first. Then Lena heard chuckles. 'Fine but promise me that after lunch time you will go to the Park family. You have photo shoot. Why don't you do it today?'

'Today? On my birthday?' Lena complained.

'Why not? It's the perfect time.'

Lena exhaled and closed her eyes to think. What the hell she did to herself? 'Okay, fine, I have to go now. Do I have to call her?'

'No, I will. You go now. See you tonight!'

Lena arrived at the studio around 10AM after calling the woman in 8AM. It wasn't hard to find a tall building with the name of the magazine on billboard in front. She entered and the lady at the reception guided her to Mrs Park's studio.

'Hello, darling! Come in,' greeted her Chanyeol's mother. 'If you are ready, we can begin right away.'

'Of course, I'm very excited!' She sat and got her make up done.  

 

The first photo shoot was going to be a Beach-ready with the latest bathing suits from various designers. Lena didn't feel nice when she was told a little bit tan wouldn't ruin anything. They applied something on her skin which made it a little bit bronzy. The other two girls had even darker skin. They had been preparing themselves for this photo shoot for weeks.

Lena did and was exactly what the photographers wanted to capture even though they had to do this in a studio. Actually the studio didn't seem to lack any equipment or decoration. There was a big pool which was situated on an upper level and that's where the magic happened. It looked like they were shooting a movie where they are on isolated island, not a photo shoot for a magazine. When you thought about it, all of the madonnas' outfits in the country were depending on this magazine and the finances of the fashion industry as well.

Chanyeol arrived around thirty minutes after his mother called which was right after Lena arrived. He didn’t want to skip school. But that was just until he saw who was near the artificial pool, which looked like a beach of an ocean.

‘Chanyeol-ah!’ His mother yelled and greeted him from the other corner of the studio. Damn it! Lena quickly glanced at the entrance. . Why was he always around? Could he possibly knew that it was her birthday?

‘Go change and come back for the photos.’

 

Chanyeol gulped and watched in disgust. It would be pretty uncomfortable wearing bathing suits when it’s not even the season in front of so many people. In the end, he understood that nobody actually looked at him which was very nice. He quickly did what he was told and went to the pool where Lena was sitting with her legs in the water. The girl couldn’t help but notice how uncomfortable, very uncomfortable, to be a model for bathing suits.

'Hello,' Chanyeol muttered loud enough for her to hear.

'Hi,' Lena greeted. 'I didn't know you were going to be here today.'

'Me neither. And about you, too. Why didn't you tell me you were coming here?'

Lena looked at him. He was standing still next to the sitting girl. It wasn't comfortable to stare at him like that, so she looked away once again.

'I also had no idea I would be here. I had more... Another things to do.'

'Is something wrong?' He asked. 

'Take a break!' One of the photographers screamed.

'There's nothing wrong. Everything's fine.'

A silence occurred and Lena laid back on the fake sand. 'It's my birthday today. Even I forgot about it.'

Chanyeol's eyes widened and he shot her with dead glare after that. 'What?' He asked surprised. 'And you dared to hide it from me?

That was supposed to be joke but Lena didn't take it that way. I would have never told you anyway, Lena thought. Why would I?

'Whatever,' she said and closed her eyes.