Chapter 2

Steel Heart

24 hours earlier

‘Get up, we have work to do today!’ Lena’s aunt yelled at her when she entered the room with an extremely loud noise and opened the curtains so much that Lena couldn’t even open her eyes.

‘Can you give me ten more minutes? What about fifteen? I will pay you,’ Lena bargained.

‘ No, school is waiting for you. You start tomorrow. But today we have to go and greet the principal and also get you an uniform and everything else you need.’

Lena grunted and got up. She couldn’t even stand on her feet. The girl arrived a few weeks ago but she still couldn’t get used to the weather, the time difference and people the most. She took a long shower, or that’s just how she wanted to remember it. Mornings were really awful for her. She would get up and stare in the blank space in front of her for at least fifteen minutes while trying not to fall asleep again. After the shower, Lena washed her teeth and brushed her hair.

‘Are you hungry? I already ate but we can get you food on the way to the school,’ Mary, her aunt said when Lena went downstairs.

‘No, I don’t feel hungry,’ Lena answered. She really didn’t feel like putting food into her stomach.

‘Then let’s go, shall we?’ Mary smiled and they went outside the house to be greeted by the chauffeur.

The ride to the school wasn’t long. Lena had forgotten what the streets of Seoul looked like. She was last in the city four years ago. She didn’t remember anything at all. The limo was driving fast and Lena’s head became a little dizzy to cope with the traffic and everything that passed before her eyes. She closed them and after a few minutes was awaken by her aunt who was already going out of the car and heading to the gates of the school.

Lena crossed the front gate of her future school for the first time. It was strange at first sight. It didn’t look like a normal school she used to be in London. The school bell just rang when Mary and Lena entered the principal’s office.

‘Hello,’ the two women greeted and bowed. The principal was a middle-aged man with a pretty smile and dark hair, with of white.

‘Please, sit with me,’ he suggested.

Lena’s school program was on his desk as well as her other documents her parents had sent. He asked her a couple of questions and all Lena did was smile and answer them with grace, which she possessed naturally. After a couple of minutes, he turned to her aunt and asked her different kinds of questions. Lena used that time to look around and think of how awesome she lived when she was with her parents in England.

They were all together and her school was amazing. Everybody liked her, some even more obsessively than others. Overall, Lena had a nice life there. She didn’t want to come here in the first place. She was the first one the English school had even kicked out. It was so embarrassing that her parents decided to send her back to Korea.

But Lena didn’t want to change. She used to be more violent which was the main reason she was kicked out. Lena was perfectly fine the way she was. She is still aggressive but maybe not in the same way. It’s better that way than sending her in some kind of ty place for mentally ill or problematic kids.

‘Thank you very much for your visit,’ said the principal finally. ‘It was pleasantly nice to meet you, Ms. Leigh and Ms. Kim. I hope I can see you prove yourself here. After all, you study in the best place in Korea!’

He laughed so hard that Lena just scoffed and ignored his statement that she was probably too stupid to study in his stupid school. She hurried to leave the school as soon as she could.