Chapter 5

Steel Heart

The weekend was over and Lena had to continue with school. Kai was the main reason she was worried. Even though she hadn’t been angry in a while which was partly okay, she was used to the humiliation. It made her uncomfortable and unstable but it was fine, again. If you exclude these facts, that day was going to be better. Besides, Chanyeol could take his game to next level and Kai was going to lose for the first time. Pretending or not, Lena was going to be the crazy . Of course, everything was planned and would happen during lunch break as usual – they had the most contact then. During the rest of the time, she heard just cliché jokes from Kai and Baekhyun. Chanyeol was always the one to tell them to shut up. Nicely played, Lena was thinking every time.

Lena approached the table in the canteen. As always, she sat on the seat in front of Kai. She looked at Chanyeol’s direction. He was playing with the food in his plate, with his mind up in clouds. Lena hoped that today Kai was in good mood for teasing because she was going to do something very amusing, too.

‘What happened at the party, Chanyeol?’ Baekhyun asked him, totally excited to hear the answer. ‘Did you manage to find a summer job?’ By summer job the rich people meant to work for big company as a model or something else.

Chanyeol stopped and left the chopsticks on the table. He quickly glanced at Lena and cleared his throat. ‘Nothing much.’

‘What is that supposed to mean? Kai complained.

‘Just th-‘

‘It was amazing actually,’ Lena spoke. She hit the jackpot. Chanyeol shot her with a look but she continued. Kai lifted his head and listened. ‘His family was the honorable guest.’

‘How do you know that?’ Baekhyun was also intrigued.

‘I was there, too, with my family.’

Everybody stopped and looked at her in disbelief.

‘You do know about these parties, right? Not everybody can get in there,’ Kyungsoo commented.

‘How would a girl like you get in?’ Kai scoffed and that thought. ‘Don’t make me laugh!’

Lena just looked at them amused. She was so happy that this was actually happening. They should’ve known who they were dealing with.

‘If I haven’t mentioned, my family owns Kim Enterprises.’

Kai choked on his food and laughed while others gave her an unbelievable look.

‘Did I say something funny?’ Lena insisted.

‘Well, I don’t believe you,’ Kai said.

‘Not everybody is like you, Jongin. Chanyeol was sweet enough to keep me company during the party. I think I made him believe me because he saw me with his own eyes. I can forgive him about being your friend, he has never shown his hate for me.’

Kai put his cutlery on the table so loudly that Lena trembled for a second. He was giving her very angry look. The students near them were watching every move. Nobody ever rebelled against him. For a short part of the second, Kai felt weak and vulnerable.

‘You know what? A nasty nerd like you should go where he belongs. For example, you can go home in your family’s farm and clean s. Oh, wait. You can’t clean yourself. Sorry,’ Kai smirked amused. ‘But not actually sorry.’

That was it. People could talk about her but not her family. Lena though she was going to pretend and act all of it but she couldn’t hide the fury that rose in her. Chanyeol saw that coming and tried to stop her from doing something she might regret. He loudly turned his plate and by the time he went to her, Lena had mixed every kind of food that was on the table and poured it on Kai’s head. The nasty mix spread on Kai’s clothes. The girl smiled and said victoriously: ‘I don’t know who’s the now but we could both clean each other. you, Jongin.’

Lena grabbed her bag and ran to the rooftop. She thought that it was the best place where Chanyeol could comfort her. At least that was the plan. She tried to produce tears but it wasn’t happening. She was chuckling at her triumph. Lena pulled out from her backpack eye drops and put a few drops in her eyes, and waited for Chanyeol.

Lena was thinking that nothing would be the same after that day. Chanyeol would still be connected to Kai and would report everything back. She had to be careful of what she was saying. The girl would still continue playing and see to where she could take it. Then, she heard footsteps behind her. It was high time he came.

‘Are you okay?’ he asked.

‘Do I look okay?’ Lena said and turned around. Half of the amount of the eye drops had fallen down her cheeks. Her face was wet and when Chanyeol saw it, he felt guilty for not predicting the rude words Kai said.

‘Not really,’ Chanyeol said stupidly and slapped himself. Of all things he could’ve said, why this one?

Lena sat on the ground and Chanyeol followed her. He shrugged closer to her. She looked in his eyes and saw compassion. That was the last thing she wanted to see when it came to her. The girl wiped her fake tears and smiled. ‘Those aren’t real. I just wanted to make people feel bad.’

Chanyeol felt better when he heard it. It was a real relief. She leaned on his shoulder. The boy trembled from the sudden touch. He wasn’t expecting any of this. Did he really have such an influence and effect on her that night at the party? It was happening so fast. The deal was going to be over soon… Right? He felt his lips curving into a smile and also did Lena’s.

‘What? Is it funny? Am I pathetic?’ she asked.

‘Definitely not. You are brave to do this to Kai. Now he’s not going to let you go just like that, you know. He will torture you.’

 ‘I don’t care. As long as he doesn’t bring my family into it, I am fine with it,’ Lena said and paused. Then she continued with the charming words. ‘I should apologize for the other night. I’m sorry about what I said. You are very nice to me, really. I haven’t thought about it but now when I do… I think you are amazing.’

She hoped he understood it in the right context. She waited for his response but there wasn’t any for a bit, just his sheepish smile covering half of his face. Chanyeol was actually pretty amazed by what was happening. She was flirting, definitely. It was some sort of very strange way of flirting, but she was. She was easy, everything was going according to his plans. Chanyeol was never interested in her but he was never rude with her as well. He stared at one spot for a long time until he realized she was waiting for response.

‘I am glad that you… Think that way.  I’ve seen you very angry and I am happy to see you in the kinder side of you.’

Lena stood up and she noticed his face. He was smiling like an idiot.

‘Yah, you smile for the first time outside that stupid party!’ commented Lena. At least he remembered to smile after he warned her.

‘What the hell are you saying? The party was great!’

Lena smiled for the last time and said goodbye. She left him there wondering what to do next. Lena continued with her next period while Chanyeol stayed a little longer on the rooftop, thinking about what actually happened.
She was good to him. She was nice. She was beautiful. Everything he never thought he would think of her. Even the thinking of her was making him nervous. But he had to figure a way to get into her heart. Lena seemed easy to posses. She seemed easy to manipulate. But Kai didn't. He was going to notice if Chanyeol was doing something wrong. Chanyeol brushed his hands through his hair and pulled it. There was still time for them to get together. With this speed, soon they were going to reach the dating level. Then after Chanyeol breaks the deal and his relationship with the girl, everything was going to be over. He was going to be free from everything. 

Chanyeol took his phone and unlocked it... Tried to unlock it. It had a password. He didn't have a password. What was going on? He looked at the picture in the background. Lena? What? He took her phone? They had the exact same phones. They might have left them beside them and she picked the wrong one. Stupid Europeans put  passwords on their phones.  Damn it.

Chanyeol tried to unlock it anyway. He blocked the phone twice but when trying for the third batch, he actually succeeded. His eyes widened, he couldn't believe it. Such an easy password. Probably it's because she can't forget it. That thought made him giggle.

Lena was finally home. She was smiling the whole day very pleased from her acting that day. Everything was going according to the nasty plan . Chanyeol was already in the fishing net and Kai was about to lose his dignity. She would find out his dirty secrets. He must had had some. Lena undressed and tied the towel around her body ready to go and take a shower. Suddenly, her phone rang. She went to pick it up but had difficulties finding it. Lena put it in her coat's pocket when she went back to school today.

'Hello,' Lena picked up. Who was calling her now?

'Hey, Kim Lena, where are you?' She heard a familiar voice on the other line but couldn't understand who was calling her?

'Excuse me, who are you?'

'Yah, don't you play me. It's Park Chanyeol and you got my phone on the rooftop.'

What? That meant that her phone was unlcoked and in his hands. And his was the one she was holding. Lena quickly looked at the screen and saw his photo. How selfish, she thought.

'Hey!' yelled Chanyeol from the other line.

'What now? I will give you the phone tomorrow. I'm going to hang up now.' Just before Lena pushed the button, Chanyeol stopped her and she listened.

'There's no need for that. Open the door of your balcon.'

'What?' Lena squeled in surprise.

Did that mean he was on her balcon. She hung up and pulled the curtains away. Chanyeol was there, behind them still holding the phone to his ear. Their eyes both widened when they saw each other. Chanyeol was crazy to come here. That wasn't part of her plan. He wasn't going to touch her or come anywhere near her.

'Are you crazy?' she whispered to him but she wanted to push him off the balcon.

Chanyeol smiled without showing his perfect teeth. He entered her room and exhaled. Lena scoffed and pushed him near the balcon again. 

'You came here for the cell phone, right? Here you are, now get out!'

'Wow, wow wait! Calm down, I'm not here to-' Chanyeol giggled but suddenly his expression became serious and he looked around.

Lena gave him time to see if the sudden change of plan and circumstance was going to affect his feelings. She realised she was only with her towel and bikini underneath when Chanyeol also noticed her body. His eyesight became blurry and he rubbed his eyes. His throat was dry and he couldn't swallow. His face was red. Lena smiled and Chanyeol finally brought himself around. He smiled awkwardly, too and gave her the phone back. He jumped of the balcon and walked home. He was thinking about what just happened.

He couldn't control himself. Chanyeol was wondering what was happening with him. Why was he acting like that? He lied on his bed and stared at the ceiling. Was it possible that he really started to feel something towards her? He never smiled before but he did when he thought of Lena. Her eyes, her lips, her body - everything in her was perfect.

He'd seen her smile before and it was even prettier than just curving the edges of her lips. Chanyeol closed his eyes and tried to recall all of the moments they shared. Lena seemed to hate all of the boys. But Chanyeol didn't do anything. He was even trying to protect her and to do his part of Kai's deal.