Chapter 1

Steel Heart

 

The car stopped in front of the school gates. She looked around. The students were walking, talking and laughing. Arrogant rich bastards, she thought. What was she doing here anyway? That wasn't place for a girl like her.

'Promise me you won't get into trouble,' said her aunt. Yes, Lena was the kind of girl that could get into a fight. Not a real fight but she was very talented with words.

'I promise,' Lena smiled and waved at her sibling.

She had to try. That was her only, and last, chance to become better or she was going back to England. She didn't want to go back there. It felt like there wasn't aplace for her in the whole world. Making first impression was her biggest fear because she didn't know how. Making good impression even more difficult.
Lena went out of the limo and walked to the school. When she entered, it didn't feel like a school. It looked like a five-star hotel, definitely not a place where she could find herself studying. It looked like a ing catwalk! Lena might not have been the richest of the richest teenagers in the world but her family was rich enough to move around the world every seven or eight months. This time it happened to be her father's native country. Back to the topic, Lena noticed that everybody in the school was wearing something expensive. Of course, all of the students were wearing uniforms but she could still see Gucci, Prada or Lacoste shoes and handbags

As the new student, Lena received a lot of stares and whispers behind her back and in front of her face and she couldn't help but hear.Being half-Korean wasn't her biggest plus here. Maybe arrogant people were racists. But after all, she looked like an ordinary Korean girl. Only her features were sharpers and expressed the foreign origin better. Her eyes were elegantly big and curved into a nice cat shape which she didn't see in any of those girl beside her. Her nose was slim but not entirely perfect. Her lips were plump and red as if she had just eaten cherries, with her pale skin and almost black of hair, she looked like a real-life Disney character. Except for the fact that she was real. She normally wore her hair down and straight.

'Oh God, is she the new one?'

'Is she even Asian?'

'She looks weirdly fashionable though!'

Lena heard those stuff around the halls echoing into her ears over and over again. She was heading to her first period and when she entered the classroom, as she expected, she drew attention to herself. She didn't look strange. Lena found a good seat next to the windows. She knew she had to introduce herself later but why not make herself comfortable now. The room wasn't big at all, she noticed. Normal, nothing fancy. She still felt eyes on her. There was a group of boys in the back seats of the middle row and she was dangerously close to them. Lena sensed trouble. Suddenly, the boys burst into laugher. Their annoying sounds echoed in her ears seconds after they stopped. Lena turned around and they giggled. Obviously, it was something about her. She watched them as they continued making fun of her for unknown reason. Her classmates were staring at them, including Lena. The group of those guys was consisting of four good-looking boys. Two of them were laughing all the time. One of them was gazing through the window which was behind her. The other one who was gloomy was playing with his sneakers.Lena was still staring at them when the two who were entertaining themselves made ironic sad impression at her and laughed while the girl only smiled sarcastically, too. At that exact moment, the daydreamer woke up and glued his gaze on her for a few seconds. He looked arrogant and had no facial expression.
He remained like that the whole day. He was in her class along with his gang. He never looked at her again. It was a good thing that nobody saw how she was stalking him with eyes every single period. That was unlike her. Lena didn't have time to think about boys. Never.

The classes were going by with nothing interesting to happen. Every period she stood up and introduced herself to the teachers, sat back and received the same arrogant looks from everyone. They didn't know her story, only her appearance. The nasty thing about this school was that the periods were actually fifty minutes and ten minutes for a short break which made the time fly extremely slow. Lena was alone the whole day. Until lunch break in the canteen...

Lena didn't take a lunch bag, only some pocket money enough to afford a bottle of milk, aloe vera or water and cheesburger or hamburger. There were also pancakes but these one were even more expensive than the ones in the luxurious restaurants in Gangnam. Also, there were some spaghetti that nobody wanted and were enough to make her stomach full. Some students tried to push her out of their way in the line but Lena didn't give up and resisted their evil faces. After she gave the money to the miserable woman, Lena searched for a place to eat. She thought that she wouldn't humiliate herself and eat in the toilet as some outsiders. Everything was taken by the rich students who didn't want to make friends with the new meat.

When her gaze stopped on a spot in the end of the long and big canteen, somebody hit her shoulder when walking by. Her tray shook from the shock. That 'somebody' was a boy, the boy who laughed at her earlier so ruthlessly. Son of a , Lena thought, moving forward to the place she wanted.  The boy suddenly turned around and stopped right in front of her. Lena widened her eyes and looked at him. He was even more amused now.

'Hello,' he smiled, looking all polite and stuff. 'I don't think I know you. You must be new, right?'

Is he taking me for an idiot?

'Yes,' answered Lena calm. 'Could you please move away?'

His smile faded the second those words escaped . What an unexpected reaction. Most girls fell on their knees and begged for him to love them. Most girls lost their minds from the words he had been saying.  Most girls were in loved with him and they didn't need persuasion to believe him even when he was lying.

'Excuse me then,' he clenched his jaw trying not to blow up the bomb inside him because the timer was already set. The girl was already passing by him but he couldn't resist to let her go and caught her arm. Her tray shook again. She looked at him annoyed. 'I don't think you know my name. I'm Kai.'

'And I don't think you need to know mine. Can you please let go of my arm?' Lena opposed.

'I already know. It's Kim Lena,' smiled Kai. She had to admit that for four periods, he was extremely fast and news travelled fast. She actually wasn't impressed because everywhere schools and troublemakers proceed that way. Lena didn't care about him. Did she seem appealing to him? Or he just wanted to ? There was no way she would attract boys with her attitude and slightly deeper voice than other girls at her age. As for the appearance, she was sure boys wanted her.

'Impressive,' she muttered and smiled ironically. Kai was confued. If she was being sincere, maybe she could be his next... Ah, that was likely to happen anyway. She was going to play his way. It was a matter of time she understood she was his new muppet. 'Move.'

That word shot Kai. What was she doing? Was she playing him? That was mission impossible and Kai had never let hiself being harassed like that. He was arrogant, selfish and he didn't like it when others tried to control him. The bomb exploaded and something in his eyes errupted. He went closed to the girl as mmch as that ing tray was allowing him. But he couldn't stand the distance and turned the tray back. The spaghetti spread all over her shirt. Her jaw dropped and her bomb was about to explode, too.  They were so similar, Kai and her. Except that Kai was faster with his impulses. Her fierce look landed on his angry stare. They were both standing like that for a second. Then Kai whispered.

'Nobody treats me like that. You don't have the right, either. But I will tell you this - you will be mine. I will own you.'

And then he left to sit on his table. The other guy that laughed with him followed him fast. There were the other two guys behind Lena's back. They were observing the scene. Everybody observed the scene. She turned around to go to the restrooms as fast as she could because her fists were already hurting from holding it inside. She tried to rush but bumped into the shorter of the two other boys. The other one was staring at her and her clothes.

'Are you okay?' asked the short one. Her eyes landed on his name tag. Great. Then that was how Kai understood her name. That moron. She didn't have to answer and pushed them aside.

Lena reached the restrooms and looked at herself in the enormous mirror. She looked pitiful. The spaghetti sauce had already soaked into her clothes. Her eyes were red, even though she never cried. Her face was also red but it was the heat of anger. Lena was furious in that moment. Her blood was boiling and she was still clenching her fists. Her hands turned white. She looked around to check for cameras. No cameras.

The girl didn't seem to see the tall guy from the little gang approaching the restrooms. He heard screams and lous noises of hitting metal. He was curious what was going on and sneaked through the ladies' room. He saw the girl from earlier hitting the doors of the toilets, punching them. She will hurt herself, he thought. He wasnted to know what was wrong with her. She was screaming and punching at the same time. Her hair was spreading all over her face and shoulders, sometimes even flying in the air. Her eyes were full of fury and her hands were bleading. She suddenly stopped when she noticed the wounds on her hands. Lena wasn't crying. She was just visually imagining fighting with somebody. She had to keep calm anyway. This wasn't happening right now. She had to control it. Lena couldn't let anger and fury posses her. Not here and not now. She looked at herself in the mirror again after removing her hair from her face. She smiled and said that everything will be fine. Those last two years of high school were the m ost important and she had to get good marks. She will fight her demons and wouldn't let anyone overtake her. Lena was smart and she would find a way to beat Kai.

Then in the corner of the mirror she spotted a familiar face sneaking. The giant poker-faced guy. What was he doing there? He also saw that she noticed his presence. She scoffed and turned around to go out. On the exit, she stopped and looked uo to reach his eyes.

'Are you here to report back to your captain,' she lowered her gaze and looked at his name tag, then stared him. He was frowning but not from confusion, just expecting her reaction. 'Park Chanyeol?'

His eyes widened when she said his name. Her voice was so calm and didn't leave a trace of her fierce screaming a while ago. His stomach shrank and his head tilted to one side.

'He's nobody to me. Mind your own business and forget about what happened. Try not to get into his way as well.'

'Why should I?' Lena stated and smiled. Now Chanyeol was confused. 'This is a precious memory of gorgeous Kai. Girls will be jealous.'

Chanyeol really wasn't sure if she was joking or talking seriously. Yes, Lena was smiling, looking completely sincere. Maybe she was sincere. What was happening?? Who was she that made him question her like that?

'Don't worry, everything's fine,' she tapped his uniform's coat. He felt electricity escape her hands and transfer to his body. He trembled but she didn't see that because she had already left.