Chapter 3

Steel Heart

 

Staying up late again wasn’t a good idea, thought Lena in the morning when the alarm woke her up. She stretched her arm to turn it off but she could find it with her fingers, so she ended up throwing it against the wall and breaking it into pieces. At least it stopped ringing so loudly. Lena stood up slowly and looked around with half-opened eyes again.

Her uniform was still packed from the dry cleaning yesterday. Lena put it quickly and did her morning routine in the bathroom. The second day of school was awaiting, just like the first. She picked up her backpack and rushed out. Her aunt was already in her office. Lena wanted to get to the school right on time, so that she didn’t have to face Kai and the others. One of the many pluses of limousines was that Lena could eat the best doughnuts which were delightfully decorated for people like her family.

The day was flying and Lena was happy she didn’t get into trouble even though Kai and his friends were around her the whole day. She was right that again in the lunch break they will strike. That giant from yesterday must have told Kai, she thought. The gang was already sitting on their table. When Lena saw them, the first thing she thought was to run the opposite direction before they see her but her reflexes were slow and she saw the short guy that asked her if she was okay approach her with a gloomy face. Why did he always seemed so down?

She smiled at the boy and he just murmured. ‘Follow me and don’t speak too much.’

At least he is giving me advice on Kai, Lena assumed. She took glance at his name tag again. Do Kyungsoo. He could be considered nice if that’s what means nice here. Lena sat on the table and looked around. She was their target now. But not real target as she didn’t care and she was just pretending. Kai was smiling brightly and purely pleased. The smile was disgusting to observe, so Lena giggled girly for her and looked away. His smile immediately faded and asked.

‘Why are you so happy? Are you into me already?’

Lena slapped herself. Or she just wanted to. She thought for a second what to answer while she was smiling foolishly. ‘Of course, I also realized how rude I acted yesterday and that I should make friends already. Besides, there was a lot on my head.’

Kai smirked and lifted his plastic spoon to put food in his mouth. Kai looked around and saw that everybody was staring at them. It was like these idiots were expecting something to happen. Kai himself wasn’t sure if he really wanted to bully her. She seemed like an ordinary pretty girl that had already fallen in love with his good looks and smile. Without thinking too much, Kai put his spoon vertically and pulled this backwards so that it made nice curve. He released the pull and the food flew across the table and landed on Lena’s clothes.

She stopped doing what she was doing and stared in the middle of the table. Her cheeks became red from the anger that was once again rising in her. It was growing so fast that she thought it was going to erupt like a volcano once again. She had to hold it inside at least in front of people. Her gaze landed on Chanyeol. He was clenching a napkin. He was doing this with an extremely strong grip because his fingers were turning white and blue. How was Lena going to react now?

‘I’m sorry,’ Kai chuckled. ‘It just slipped. I hope it’s not a problem.’ And he continued his eating.

Lena was shot and her gaze lifted and stared at Chanyeol. He also looked at her. ‘Wait,’ he said and told Baekhyun to move away and sat next to her. He took the napkin he had been gripping so tight and put his hand on her shoulder. Lena didn’t move and waited to see what would happen. Chanyeol wiped the food from her uniform and long hair. After that, the boy put another napkin in her hand under the table. Lena accidently held his hand with the napkin. Chanyeol widened his eyes but she just whispered with a slight smile.

‘Thank you.’

How could everything look so fake? She had been taking acting classes in University of London where she met a lot of now world-famous actors and actresses.  Lena looked at Kai. He was amused and disturbed at the same time. Kai didn’t know how to react in this situation where one of his people was defending the victim. He just continue eating, thinking of his next strike.

---------------------------------------------

The rest of the month was one and the same every day. Kai was making fun of her. She was sitting with the demons and watching as they humiliate her. Then she watched as somebody was desperately trying to save her from that humiliation. Of course, Lena was also lurking for something embarrassing about Kai but there was nothing except for the same vain handsome boy with foolish smile she was used to see. Lena went to school and got back every single day with more desperation and sadness than the previous one. She was failing in her plan. But there was also something positive. Her acting has improved and her anger was slowly fading away after the first couple of seconds and she realized she was changing. But was it because Chanyeol was always there before she turns the table in Kai’s face? Lena still didn’t want his help because she was messing with the wrong person and plan.

Weeks passed until Lena finally found a weapon she could use.

Physical Education was about to start. Lena was walking past the boys’ changing room when she heard two familiar voices and her name at the same time. She couldn’t mistake these ones.

‘… I think I know the best way to end the school year. And her first year in this school,’ Kai talked.

‘Why are you so obsessed with Lena and her case? If you want to know, just ask her out. This is not the way you approach a girl!’ that was Chanyeol, definitely.

‘I don’t want to approach her. Are you saying I’m into her? Because I can tell you that I’m definitely not.’

‘Say what you want to say, I have to go to class,’ Chanyeol moaned.

‘Okay, I will… So, as you already understood – I don’t like her. But I see you might be into her. I have that feeling,’ Kai lowered his voice but the vibrations were louder than he would predict and Lena could heard him clearly. She scoffed. What the hell were these morons thinking about?

‘What?’ Chanyeol raised his voice, almost sounded like a girl’s voice which was kind of impossible to reach. ‘No, I’m not. She’s just a stupid basic girl.’

Ouch, that hurt. Lena didn’t really care about their opinion but that was a nasty lie and the three of them knew it. She was the best. She was divine. She could never be called stupid or basic.

‘Then it’s going to be a challenge for you. I dare you to make her fall for you. You are actually very popular these days.’

‘What?’ Chanyeol’s voice broke again.

‘You heard me. When the finals come, you will tell her that you don’t like anything about her and everything was a lie. Every girl in that kind of situation is going to be broken-hearted,’ Kai stated. Lena could see his smile in that moment.

Yes, but not when the girl knows everything from the start, Lena thought and left before they see her there. She didn’t hear what Chanyeol said and didn’t want to. Chanyeol didn’t seem the kind of boy who wanted to play. He never had his nose in Kai’s business. But if they wanted, she was going to play every part very well, too. Chanyeol wouldn’t mind if she joined the game, right? After all, he was starting it…