Chapter 11

Steel Heart

 

The rest of the photo shoot went well. The five of them were posing in various ways. Being the only male in the photo shoot, Chanyeol felt awkward. He didn't like these girls' attention. Most of the time, he was really getting hotter. Lena didn't pay attention on him or his presence and he was getting annoyed. It was her birthday and she was sad. Chanyeol couldn't watch her being like that.

After the photo shoot which ended pretty late, around 5PM, Chanyeol suggested Lena to take her out as her birthday present.

'You have already given me your present,' Lena smiled slightly and pointed at the necklace. The necklace Kai put on her.

'Forget that, throw it away,' Chanyeol said annoyed. 'Let's go.'

'Where are we going?' Lena grunted. 'I am very tired, you know.'

Chanyeol had been dragging her but the suddenly stopped and Lena bumped into him. 'What do you want? Where do you want to go?'

'Um...' Lena thought about it. What if she could actually spend one more afternoon with him? He wasn't very annoying. Just a little. 'I don't know... Let's try Lotte World. I've never been there.'

'You've never been there? Where have you lived, girl!'

'Chanyeol-ssi, call me!' yelled one of the models at him. She was behind Lena.

'Ah,' Chanyeol muttered then answered her. 'Of course, bye!'

'It seems like you have admirers,' Lena scoffed. These girls literally saw him once and they were so direct? Okay, one of them. That's probably how she wants to get temporary work in the magazine.

'Are you jealous?' Chanyeol .

'Are you insane?'

Chanyeol smirked and they left.

'But how come you've never been to Lotte World?' He was not giving up.

‘I just haven't. I moved in England four years ago and back then I wasn't allowed to go out late at night. And at night it has the most beautiful view ever. You should know that, right?'

'Yes, I know,' Chanyeol stared at her while they were walking down the streets, on their way to the amusement park.

'What is it?' Lena asked when she noticed that he wasn't taking his eyes off of her.

'Nothing. I'm just...' then he stopped. He did not know what he was doing.

'Staring? Stop it, it's creepy.'

'I am creepy if you haven't noticed,' Chanyeol laughed at himself.

Yes, yes, you are, Lena approved in her head. She couldn't agree more.

'But that's my charm. If I'm not creepy and overly lively, then who would be? I have a motto that says that you should always smile even when it's hard and it hurts.'

Lena thought for a moment. That boy was surprising her every day. He was deep. Sometimes.

'And? Is it working?' She asked.

'Well, not every time, only sometimes. Other times, tears are more effective. They also release the pain and grieve that you'd been hiding inside.'

Lena didn't say anything. If she only knew that earlier, the past four years would had passed much easier.

'Tell me about your life before you came back here.'

'Well,' Lena stopped. She had hard time thinking from where to start. 'I studied in other high school and I was very... violent. Every day I was beating up somebody but managed to make them close their big mouths. Some of them talked after the third or fourth time and I was caught several times.'

'Wow,' Chanyeol muttered. He was sincerely shocked. He himself hadn't beaten somebody, how could a tiny person like Lena do that.

'Yes, most of the people had the same reaction when they found out why I had to move. At that time my family was just about to go to England, where they still are. I moved with them and started a new life. Only the principal and I knew my background. The students thought I was actually a very nice halfie.'

'Halfie?'

'Half-Asian slash Western. And I tried to be. I also changed a lot the past months and I feel awful about that. I loved myself. That's the most important thing, even if you're a bloody sociopath.'

Chanyeol chuckled at the example. But she was right, that was the most important thing. A silence grew between them until they reached Lotte. Lena was happy that it was near his mother's company.

'Wait here, I'll buy the tickets.'

Lena waited patiently. She felt she wasn't excited about the upcoming 'fun' or her birthday. That was sad.

'Here we go,' and the main annoying character appeared. Lena smiled fake.

'Then let's go inside. Where do we start from? How about... that thing over there...?' Lena scoffed at her stupidity. 'Sorry, I don't know its name.'

'It's fine,' Chanyeol said and observed her. She didn't seem well but she would tell if something was wrong, right? He decided not to ask.

At dawn they realised they almost finished with the list they made. The Ferris Wheel was the last one.

'Let's go now, we have to get the last free seats for this batch!' Lena yelled and dragged Chanyeol. He saw her amusement and excitement and giggled with her as they approached the wheel.

'The ride is about fifteen minutes, isn't it?' Lena asked.

'Yes,' Chanyeol continued gazing at her smiling face. That was off the beaten track.

Lena didn't realize she was smiling so bright that she could lighten the fireworks in the sky. She was looking around and the view was really like one from a bird's eye. It was so fascinating that Lena wanted to stand up and embrace the world. But that would be the most stupid thing she could ever do. The seats weren't secured that much.

'You are doing it again,' Lena said, laughing at his cluelessness.

'Doing what?

'You are staring again!'

'No, I'm not. I'm gazing,' he replied smartly.

'What is the difference?' Lena was the clueless one in that case.

'Staring is rude way of looking at somebody for a long time, while gazing is looking at the person with admiration.'

Lena's smile died and she looked at him. They were approaching the top of the Ferris wheel. Lena broke the eye contact when she heard the fireworks. It was very beautiful. All colours played in the sky as she smiled even brighter than before and closed her eyes. Chanyeol let her have that moment. He suddenly pronounced her name and he was surprised by it himself.

'Kim Lena, I think I-'

'Enjoy the ing view!' She yelled not paying attention on his frustration.

'No, you will hear me,' he insisted and she turned around startled. He was so strange all of a sudden. 'I think I'm going crazy.'

He was serious. His eyes didn't wander around. He was looking right in her eyes.

‘Really?’ Lena asked stupidly. She knew what he was trying to do. Of course, everything was fake. Again and again. 'Have you ever loved, Park Chanyeol?' Lena asked him after awkward silence.

'The truth?' Lena nodded. 'No, I haven't.'

Lena turned around and removed the secure belts.

They both stood up and jumped on the platform outside the area of the Ferris wheel. They didn't say anything while they were walking near their neighborhood.

'I will send you home,' Chanyeol stated.

'There's no need, I will call my chauffeur.'

'No, I will. I want to see what normal boys do.'

Lena laughed. 'Normal boys? Then what are you? An alien?'

'No, but that's how it feels. We live in another world. You and I, and all other students in our class.'

Lena couldn't agree more. Even though, she didn't want to feel that way.

'You are being too deep, stop saying bulls like this,' Lena said. She was really fed up with her life. If she could simply spit out the truth, her anxiousness would disappear.

The streets were empty and the coldness was embracing the city. The fog was slowly diffused around the figures above the earth level.

Chanyeol looked down and noticed Lena was randomly playing with her hands and hurting her nails. He thought about the possibility of holding her hand (and maybe then he could confess but he wasn’t sure about that). But her reaction could be disastrous. He only bumped his hand into hers because it was too late to back off. She gasped, held her breath. Lena caught his hand and pulled him to stop.

‘Chanyeol, I want to ask you for something. But promise me first that you will do whatever I ask of you.’

‘Umm…’ Chanyeol stuttered and frowned. That was the first time he ever heard her talk like that. ‘Yeah, everything, name it.’

‘Forget about everything.’

‘What? Forget about what?’

‘I was just around you because I wanted the job. I was mean and stupid and I will be now as well – I don’t want you around me,’ Lena took off the necklace and gave it back to him. ‘Here, I don’t want it, take it back. Give it to somebody who’s worth it.’

Drama was over. Everything was over. Lena dealt with it the hard way – lying. She didn’t want him to lie to her anymore. Besides, that was a nice way to revenge Kai by ruining his plan.

Lena took a long shower. She hoped she hadn’t woken up her aunt. The woman had left a present for her in the kitchen table with a small cake and a paper bag. Lena opened it, still with towel around her body. The paper bag contained book with a card. There was a photo of her parents and grandparents, taken a few years ago.

‘What an irony,’ Lena scoffed.

The name of the book was ‘Heart of steel’. Lena didn’t read the back but tried to suggest what it was about.