Chapter 4

Steel Heart

The weekend that Lena was finally going to one of her aunt’s business parties was finally there. The girl hasn’t been to a party for several weeks even though Mary was begging her.

The stylists and artists were in their house to get them ready for the official event. The make-up was strong. Dark colours were playing on their faces as they made them stand out more. Lena’s hair was straight as usual with slightly curled ends and sprayed with glitter, which Lena wasn’t a fan of. Her little dark red dress had embroidery on the lower part which made her look even more official and glamorous. The upper part of the dress was strapless. Her heels were only making her taller and her legs even more long and slim. Lena knew she looked gorgeous. But why was she looking so perfect tonight? Was there a special guest? Mary, her aunt, told her that there were special guest, indeed.

After they prepared themselves, the limo drove them to the loft. The place was magical. It looked like a castle from a fairytale. Sparkling glittery decorations were all over the ceiling and walls. A disco ball was hanging in the center of the dance floor. There weren’t any people there but it was still quite beautiful.

Her aunt was dragging her to meet different gentlemen. Those men were pretty impressed with Lena and offered her different opportunities. She could accept them but she didn’t feel like doing all these things. It was amazing what you could find in these parties. Lena managed to escape from her aunt’s grip and went to the bar.  She ordered a glass of champagne.

Chanyeol was talking with his father and other businessmen when he spotted a familiar figure and face at the bar. What was Kim Lena doing there? She isn’t supposed to be here. What would she think when she saw him at this fancy place?

But that was Kim Lena after all. Chanyeol could not notice how amazing he looked that night. He was observing her from distance. The little dress was following every curve of her body. She was showing more flesh than usual.  Her legs were like made of wax – so perfect that they, and the girl herself, couldn’t be real. Every glance at her made him feel hotter and hotter. Chanyeol reached his tie which was suffocating him then. He loosened it and wiped the sweat of his forehead.

And then, suddenly, she was gone. Lena was no longer in his sight.

‘Come on,’ Lena was dragged away of the bar. She had been clinging there for half an hour. ‘Just tell me you’re not drunk!’

‘No, I’m not. Relax, it was just a glass of champagne.

‘You’re very bad girl.’

‘Well, that’s how I feel. You should tell your stylists not to dress me like a ,’ yelled Lena but she didn’t realize they stopped in front of the two special guest. She didn’t realize what was happening. Her aunt poked her and then Lena understood what was happening. She bowed and greeted.

‘You should feel elegant, lady,’ said one of the men. Lena lifted her head and immediately smiled. That should be the special guest, right?

‘Yes, I’m sorry.’

Lena looked at the other man beside the guest. She couldn’t help but frown at the thought of his being there. But he was neither man, nor gentleman. He was Park Chanyeol. The Park family was the honorable guest. Lena scoffed at the fact and stared at the boy for some time. But of course he would be here, he was chasing her. She was his mission.

‘Miss Lee, Miss Leight, meet my son – Chanyeol.’

He shook hands with her aunt. Lena didn’t stretch her hand. Chanyeol did and she could see him trebling. He was nervous. Instead, he smiled awkwardly when Lena didn’t want to greet and spoke.

‘Ah, we are classmates, no formalities needed.’

‘Could you excuse me, please, I need to go to the restroom’ Lena smiled again.

She bowed and then left. But she wasn’t going to the restroom. She was going home. That was just a sick excuse to go away from her bully. Oh, no, savior was the right word. She didn’t have the time and mood for playing. Now he was repelling her. But the boy didn’t agree and popped out of nowhere in front of her. He had put his hands in his suit’s pockets. Lena had to admit that he also looked amazing tonight. His hair was slightly brushed away from his face and the suit was tight against his skin which made his muscles stand out.

‘You can’t escape like that. We haven’t had conversation alone,’ he was curving only the left corner of his lips. He closed the small distance between. Lena bit her lips and whispered.

‘I don’t want to have any conversation with you. I don’t want to see neither you, nor your friends. Now, move.’

‘Wait,’ he backed off and narrowed his eyes. ‘Come here.’

Chanyeol pulled her to the balcon. They went outside. The night was cold and shivers travelled down her spine. ‘What?’ she yelled.

‘So you played everything?’ he asked. Lena wasn’t sure what he was talking about. ‘You didn’t enjoy Kai’s attitude.’

Was that a question? ‘What do you think? Would you let yourself be humiliated and then do nothing? Do you think I’m crazy or stupid?’

Chanyeol gulped nervously with widened eyes. His mind was a mess. He didn’t know what to answer.

‘No, of course I don’t t-think you are… You know…’ he stuttered then lightened up. At that moment Lena was about to go but Chanyeol pulled her arm back to him. ‘Let’s dance. Give me chance to apologize and make clear that I don’t wish you bad.’

He was not going to let her go even though he was making clear that it was her choice. She moaned and he let go of her arm. The boy frowned and she accepted. He wasn’t exactly the one bullying her but he was still disgusting according to Lena.

Small smile appeared on his face. Lena scoffed and went to the dance floor. Chanyeol jogged to her and pushed her back for second. There was no one on the dance floor. He smirked charmingly, bowed, stretched his hand and said.

‘May I have this dance, my lady?’

Lena was dumbfounded. What the hell was he doing? Oh, right, he had role to play. But Lena was better. She also smiled and held his hand. They were in the center and both looked in each other’s eyes. That was the closest they have ever been.

Chanyeol put his hand on her waist. Lena put hers on his shoulder. He pulled her closer that she could feel his warm breath. They started dancing with the music. The two of them were constantly making eye contact. Lena felt uncomfortable. His smile never left his face. Lena acted playfully as well. Was he already fooled that everything was fine? Could he forget her previous words so easily?

‘What is that sudden change of heart?’ Lena asked with a smirk. She was observing his face. His left eye slightly narrowed from the confusion she was creating in his mind. With his foolish smile, he was really frowning.

‘What “change of heart” do you mean?’

‘Why are you suddenly so bright and nice to me?’ she insisted.

Chanyeol pulled her even closer. Their faces were inches apart. Lena stopped breathing when her chest glued to his. Her heart was beating like crazy.

‘What is that supposed to mean? I’ve always been nice to you. Don’t you remember who had been saving your for the past months?’

‘I do remember. But you’ve never smiled so “sincere” to me before,’ Lena emphasized on ‘sincere’. He lifted his eyebrows but his smile was still there. Didn’t his face hurt already from the fake smile? ‘Actually you never smiled before. At least I haven’t seen you.’

He suddenly stopped in the center and bent his head to hers. Her stomach shrank and her skin felt warmer than usual. ‘Next time,’ Chanyeol her tighter and slightly lifted her body. ‘Look more careful.’