-49-

Reality of Reversi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So what are you going to do about your feelings towards HaYeon?” Jimin asked as they sat on the steps with a can of beer in hand. The night was quiet and not a single soul sauntered on the street. The cold wind bit TaeHyung and Jimin’s faces but it was strangely comforting.

TaeHyung just shrugged. “What’s there that I can do?”

Jimin couldn’t have gotten more annoyed, “So does that mean that you don’t have any plans to tell her that you actually like her? Are you going to keep on acting this way, protecting her quietly and keeping your distance?”

 

 

TaeHyung fiddled with the empty can after downing the last bit. “What about you?” TaeHyung realized he hadn’t got down to talking about this with Jimin after confessing his feelings to his friend. Every single time he wanted to have a good talk with Jimin because he was his best friend after all, guilt consumed him. He wanted to know how Jimin was coping with his feelings, if he ever hated him for liking the same person as he did but he just could not bring himself to. Maybe he just did not want to know that his friend was having a hard time because of him.

“I’m not going to confess that’s for sure. Ha.” Jimin laughed as though it was not obvious enough, “we both know she doesn’t like me.” Seeing how TaeHyung remained silent, Jimin chimed, “it really isn’t that bad. I’m fine with just looking at her from afar as long as she is safe.”

“Well she might not like me either.” TaeHyung added mindlessly, inevitably thinking how selfish he was. Jimin could do with just watching her from afar but for TaeHyung, the more he knew her, the more he wanted her to be closer.

Jimin just shrugged and nodded in agreement, “Well I guess that could happen but you definitely have a higher chance than I do. So while you have the chance to do so, just confess. You never know what might come out of it.”

TaeHyung thought deep about it. On so many occasions he resisted the temptation to tell her how he feels because her scared face whenever she thought about her past relationship deterred him. Then over time, he had lost the courage for fear that he might hurt her, or that their relationship will change for the worst.

That she might push him away.

“Maybe next time.” TaeHyung just forced out. “I don’t think she is ready.”

“You’re the one that isn’t ready, TaeHyung.” Jimin chided but dropped it after taking a sip.

 

“I’m ready!!” HaYeon exclaimed excitedly as she popped up from behind the door, scaring both boys who looked at her nervously. TaeHyung gulped as he anxiously pressed down on the bottle. “R-Ready for what?” Secretly, a tinge of anticipation touched his heart but he shook it off quickly.

Jimin could not hide that he was shocked as well and quickly shot TaeHyung an uncertain look. “You heard what we were saying?”

HaYeon blinked her huge eyes a couple of times before it creased into two lines. Her face lit up in a brilliant smile. “Heard about what? I’m just saying that I am ready to go to the mart!”

TaeHyung coughed in response, stunned and embarrassed that he actually thought HaYeon was responding to their conversation. “Oh yes right, the mart. Let’s go.”

Jimin just smirked as he nudged TaeHyung, “It’s a sign,” to which TaeHyung immediately threw the can at him as he walked away, telling him to shut up before HaYeon caught on. “Have fun!”

 

 

“You should have stayed at the house.” TaeHyung nagged as he dropped a packet of frozen noodles into the cart he was pushing while HaYeon strolled leisurely beside him, HwanHee in her arms cooing sociably at everyone who walked by.

She just shrugged, “Since you lost at the game, I just thought I’d accompany you on your punishment.” She breathed out as she looked around. Then she cuddled her baby a little tighter, and pulled a little closer to TaeHyung as the people passed by her at close proximity.

TaeHyung could tell that she was nervous, so without a word, he walked on the other side of HaYeon, serving as a human barricade between her and the never-ending flow of people. HaYeon smiled a little as she mumbled a quiet “thank you” under her breath.

“So do you come here every year?” HaYeon asked as she placed some vegetables into the cart.

TaeHyung acknowledged, “Mmhmm, it’s the only place we can come on a holiday and not have to pay for accommodation.” HaYeon nodded. “And also because most of the group came from Busan.”

“You too?” HaYeon turned to look at TaeHyung, waiting for an answer.

“No. I’m from Daegu. But I lived here for a couple of years in Busan and DaeJeon before moving to InCheon.” He replied nonchalantly while reading the labels on the ingredients he wanted to buy.

At that interesting point, HaYeon’s ears perked up in curiosity, “Really?! That’s pretty cool, having moved and stayed at different places.”

TaeHyung just let out an awkward laugh at her excitement but looked away to avoid eye contact, “Well if you see it that way.”

“Why did you move so often though?”

TaeHyung stopped in his tracks for a brief second but quickly continued moving. He wasn’t sure if he should be honest with her yet, but let his guard down anyways. “There were people after my parents after they had borrowed some money so we moved a lot to avoid them.”

For some reason, curiosity filled HaYeon and TaeHyung could tell that she had questions she really wanted to ask. “Not now.” TaeHy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter