Chapter 1: After All This Time

Captured
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

New York,

Fall was coming. Leaves became yellow and red. The wind started to chill out the neck. It’s been awhile since the last time he moved in there. Good time, good memories. Now he’s coming back, trying to fulfill his desire to get a new life. He missed New York and all its entertainment; he missed his old life there. He missed his old campus.  He missed being a part of New York, one of the busiest cities in the world. He missed everything about New York as he smelled the scent of fall.

He finally made it after collecting his own money, after working as a banker for three years, opening photography and judo class in Seoul, and military service for two years. It’s true that it’s not easy for him. He’s not a rich guy; his parents are just a civil servant. He just considers himself as a lucky bastard. Ten years ago, after graduated from his high school, luckily he got a scholarship and continued his study in Economic major in New York University. Then, he met photography.  From the first sight, he fell in love with the camera. Photography, he thought while walking on the street around Fifth Avenue. Sipping a cup of hot chocolate, his smile suddenly appeared. That’s the thing which brought him to a girl, his freshman crush, Alicia Jung.

He met her in the college. She’s a Korean –American who’s been living in US since her elementary school. She’s two years older than him. She’s the one who introduced him to the camera. They joined photography club together back then. They often hung out at the coffee shop near the campus. She’s a close friend of him. Day by day, the feeling developed but he never knew whether the feeling is mutual or not.  It’s just he didn’t brave enough to ask. Then she graduated first, leaving him with no news.

Those memories produced a great sensation in his body, creating a simple yet stunning curve around his lips. It’s really good to be back, he thought. He really wanted to meet her again but he didn’t know where. She’s been missing since the last day he left US. They never talked each other again. The rumors said, she moved to LA with her family. Although, he hasn’t met her yet since his arrival, he didn’t know why he had a good feeling of it. He felt that

He was throwing his cup when his cellphone suddenly rang. He took it from his pocket, narrowing his eye to check the screen. It’s from his friend, David. They took the same major back then.

“John?”, a husky voice heard.

“Hey, What’s up?”, he answered enthusiastically. It’s been a long time. David is his best friend in college. They often hung around with Alicia too. Unfortunately, both of them lost contact since the graduation day. David knew about Alicia and how John really admired her. That’s why he’s so happy when he heard his voice.

“How are you, bro? I heard you come back”, he said.

“Yeah. Kinda miss New York. How do you know my number?”

“Please, don’t ask!”, he said effortlessly, making John laughed. “My girlfriend in ELLE magazine told me you applied your resume there. She gave me your number”, he finally revealed the truth.

“Yah, it’s a foul! How come she gave you my number, it’s restricted”, he made a John. Both of them laugh. “Well, I tried to be a photographer there, to spend my spare time”

“You can do it, dude. I heard you are one of the best candidates”, David said honestly. He thought David must be known about it from her girlfriend. “Just give me luck”

“We should meet”

“Sure. When?”

“Next Friday will be great”

“Deal! See you next Friday”, he said.

“See you… and welcome back dear brother”, David said. John chuckled, “Thanks bro!”

He then finished his call. They promised to meet next Friday and he really couldn’t wait to listen to all his stories and jokes. Not long after that, his phone made a sound again. A text from someone. Suddenly, he curved a smile. He got the job as the photographer for one of the best magazines in US.

Seriously? David? He thought. He smirked.

***

John F. Kennedy International Airport

The airport has never been that busy. A slim girl with a fashionable mini dress, bringing a Chanel bag and pushing a pull cart walked around the airport. She went to the lobby while her free hand searching for a number in her cellphone, her mother. She told her that she’s just arrived and wanted to meet her soon. She walked outside elegantly eventhough she was pushing her pull cart.

It’s been awhile, she thought while looking at the autumn sky in New York. Suddenly, her mind was rushing, thinking about what she’d do in US for a year ahead. It’s true that she came for her parent, that is one of the most successful entrepreneurs in South Korea, but she had to attend some events and photo shoot for some mag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter