Leaving

Our Manager

The next morning you woke up to the sound you thought you’d never be able to hear at home. Silence. You got up and walked out. You saw your mum and her boyfriend cuddled up on the couch watching T.V. You ignored them and made your way to the fridge. “Hey kiddo could you whip up a few pancakes?” You looked at him with no expressions and poured orange juice in a cup.

 

“YAH!” His temper grew, your mum held him back and tried calming him down

“Don’t worry I’ll make them”

“NO! THIS BRAT NEEDS TO BE USEFUL AROUND HERE!” he refused

“USEFUL!?” your mum snapped

“HELLO THIS IS THE REAL WORLD, YOU CAN’T JUST EXPECT THIS TO BE FANASY LAND AND THINK YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT! SHE’S FREAKING SELFISH, I ASK FOR PANCAKES AND THE SNOB GIVES ME THOSE DIRTY LOOKS” he stood up and pointed directly at you, while you were making yourself cereal, ignoring EVERYTHING.

“DON’T YOU CALL HER A SNOB YOU !”

“DON’T YOU CALL ME AN YOU !”

“ENOUGH!"

 

You couldn’t take it anymore, you stormed into your room and started packing. Your mum looked at him with disgust then followed you in. She sat down on your bed.

 

“Sweetie what are you doing?” she calmly said

“I’m going to dad” you threw clothes into your suitcase and brought out more bags

“But it takes days to get to his place”

“I can take a train and it would take at least half a day, if not two days max” You packed everything which was yours.

“But why leave? You love it here”

You stopped packing and looked at her –Is she really this mindless?- “I love it here? Did you just say that I love it here? Ever since dad left and that JERK met you. I have never once been happy. Name one time I have actually smiled!”

“Please don’t go, stay and I promise I’ll make everything better”

“You think I would still believe that same lie? I’m stupid enough to stay here for the sake of it. But now I’m doing something and I’m going to live with dad”

“Just stay here with me”

“Fine, then it’s either HE goes or I go”

Your mum didn’t say anything, she clenched her hands on the covers of your bed and bit her bottom lip while staring into the ground. You went back to packing.

“Thought so...”

 

You didn’t have much that you needed to pack. You only had a few things so you took your bags and left the house. Your mum watched you leave and closed the door. She followed you out and the taxi stopped in front of the house right in time. Your mum ran up to the window and you put it down.

 

“Sweetie please don’t go. I want you to stay” She started bawling her eyes out which made you want to cry but you kept the tears in. “Sorry Umma, but I don’t like it here and it’s because of that man you won’t let go in that very house” You pulled half your body out the window and hugged her. “I will come back and visit when I can, I promise” Your mum didn’t want to let go, she kissed your forehead and you kissed her cheek then went back inside the car “Bye Umma, I love you”

 

The taxi drove off and your mum fell on her knees, she cried and cried. Her boyfriend stood at the door and watched, a small smirk came upon his face –Finally- and he went back inside.

 

In the car you started to cry heavily the tears wouldn’t stop. You wanted to ask to turn around and go back, but everything is just going to be the same and you’d never be happy. You looked back and saw her –I’m so sorry Umma, but I just had to go-