Chapter 22

I'll Have The Last Laugh

They were close to the stage, only one row of hyped up fans between them and the coveted idols. Sehun stood close, next to Baekhyun. Before the music started, they turned to each other and grinned. An impish, childish grin that shone with excitement. And then it began. At tiles it seemed like the idols were singing directly to them. Baekhyun was sure they sung to him at one point. The crowd pushed continuously throughout the performances and ever so slightly the distance between Sehun and Baekhyun began to grow.

In a flash of panic, Baekhyun's clammy hand reached out and was met by Sehun's awaiting fingers. Their eyes met, if only for a second, and then the thundering bass line overrode their thundering heartbeats.

Pushing. More pushing. Baekhyun's face was squished between the shoulder blades of the lady in front of him, and the sweaty torso of the man behind. The song reached its and awkwardly, through jumping bodies and swaying limbs, Sehun guided Baekhyun to stand in front of him. The pushing didn't subside, but Sehun's chest pressed against his back felt less uncomfortable than a strangers. Sehun murmured a husky apology to Baekhyun, who barely heard it over the music.

The concert ended on a high, and the buzz of excitement lingered long after the artists left the stage and the fans began to exit the venue.

As the last light from overhead flickered on, Baekhyun whirled around and came chest to chest with Sehun, his face flushed and his eyes glistening in awe. Sehun's breath caught in his throat and he found himself smiling involuntarily.

"That", began Baekhyun. He stopped and his lips curled up in amusement, "My voice!", he laughed.

Sehun laughed with him, his ears not quite picking up the sound clearly. It was muffled, as though they were underwater.

"Everything is so quiet!", Baekhyun shouted, quietly.

"I know!", Sehun shouted back, "I'm never sure whether my ears are making things quiet or my voice is quiet".

Baekhyun nodded enthusiastically, having wondered the same thing only a moment ago.

The close proximity between them almost seemed natural now; they'd been pressed together for the past few hours. Sehun became very aware of how warm the room was.

"We should probably get going", he murmured, taking a small step back.

They both looked around them and found that they were two of the few left in the room. At this point in time, it didn't seem possible that all those people fit in this small room. "That's probably a good idea", Baekhyun murmured back.

"Oh!", he suddenly gasped, his clammy hands rapidly reaching into his pocket to pull out his phone.

Sehun watched him inquisitively.

"A picture? To commemorate?", Baekhyun beamed up at him hopefully and motioned taking a photo.

"Sure", Sehun couldn't deny the sparkly eyes or the chance to get another picture of them together. He carefully took the quickly offered phone and tried not to react as Baekhyun pressed his body against Sehun's once again, in order to fit in the frame.

"There", Sehun murmured as he handed back the phone, "I don't think we should send this one to my father".

Baekhyun smiled at Sehun's comment, and then again at the burst of images on his phone.

Under the impatient ushering of the venue's staff, they left the building.

The cold night's air washed over them and they drank it in greedily. Their aching legs could just about carry them to the car.

The moment Baekhyun sat down, he groaned in relief, "Thank god, my legs are killing me".

Sehun lowered himself into the drivers seat and his eyes fluttered closed, "Tell me about it".

Now that they were out of the bustling room and into a quiet place, the husky rasp in both their voices was audible. Baekhyun looked over at Sehun's still profile, taking in Sehun's ruffled hair, his flushed cheeks, the bobbing of his Adams' apple as he swallowed whatever moisture he could. Baekhyun ran his tongue over his own dry lips and said, "Do you want me to drive?".

It wasn't what Baekhyun wanted to say, or thought of saying, but still Sehun's eyes opened and found him, a small smile working its way to his lips, "I'm okay to drive. But thank you". He took a deep breath, "I just need to rest my legs for a minute and I'll be good to go".

They smiled at each other, something that would have been unthinkable not so long ago. Gradually, like a creeping fog, the air grew tangible and it felt suffocating for them both.

"There are bottles of water in the glovebox", Sehun pointed, needlessly.

"Oh", Baekhyun looked in front of him, "You read my mind".

Baekhyun's hands fumbled to the latch on the glovebox, levering the handle with no success.

"You have to- lift the-", Sehun faltered, "It sticks. I'll open it".

Sehun reached over to Baekhyun's side of the car, accidentally - at least, it seemed accidental - brushing Baekhyun's knee as he did so.

As Sehun got them both something to quench their shared thirst, Baekhyun sat, almost immobilised as a wave of fire spread out from where Sehun had touched his knee. It was a perceivably innocent, barely there brush, but Baekhyun's body reacted to it anyway. The car felt warmer than the concert and neither of them could drink their waters fast enough.

"That's good", Sehun half moaned as the cool, refreshing liquid soothed his aching throat.

Baekhyun responded with an appreciatory noise of his own.

Carefully, and slowly, Sehun screwed the bottle's lid back on and rested the almost-empty bottle between his thighs.

"So", Sehun raised an eyebrow, "What did you think?".

Despite his aching thirst, Baekhyun's drink was left forgotten as he burst into passionate speech about the concert. Sehun listened to him with a soft smile, nodding when appropriate and occasionally chiming in with his own comments.

"Man", Baekhyun threw himself back on the chair, "It was just amazing. And when Hoon looked at me, oh my god. I thought my heart was about to burst!".

Sehun laughed, he knew the exact feeling Baekhyun was talking about.

"So that's your type, eh?".

Baekhyun held his hands together and stared wistfully up at the roof of the car, "He was crafted by angels".

"Why would the angels give him such a resting face?".

"So that when he does smile, it's even more special. Duh", Baekhyun paused for thought, "Anyway, you know you've got a little bit of an RBF too, right?".

Sehun let his face drop to its relaxed nature, "What a weird coincidence".

Baekhyun ignored his comment, and Sehun's smile returned.

"How are we going to get back in?". Baekhyun change the topic, a little unnerved by the fact it seemed like he had a type. Truth is, Hoon hadn't been his favourite member until shortly after meeting Sehun.

"Huh?", Sehun frowned, not following Baekhyun's topic change, "Oh. The house. I've set the alarms on a timer".

"How long have we got?"

"Enough time, about half an hour left".

Baekhyun paused for thought, "We should probably get going then".

Sehun started the car.

 

When they arrived, they still had a little bit of time left over. The car grew stuffy and the tension between then grew. They made a unanimous decision to get out and lean on the car instead of sitting in it.

"Hey... Baekhyun?", Sehun murmured, absentmindedly looking up at the stars above.

Baekhyun followed his gaze, "Yes, Sehun?".

"Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did".

Sehun snorted, the sound echoing loudly throughout the still street, "You're hilarious. Ever thought about taking up comedy?".

Baekhyun repressed a smile, "Was that your question?".

"No".

"Then yes, you may ask me a question".

Sehun sighed gently, "Did your car really break down near the camp?"

Baekhyun's stomach tightened and he found himself instinctively looking away, "No".

There was a pause, long enough for Baekhyun to look back up at Sehun to search his expression.

To his surprise, he was smiling.

"I figured as much. You're pretty good at acting though, the whole we're-rooming-together-what-a-shock face nearly had me".

"Actually", Baekhyun paused as a shooting star flew across the night's sky. He wished his nerves away, "I genuinely was surprised. I didn't think we'd be rooming together at all. I was just meant to meet you there and get a little revenge, maybe an apology. Then... well, you know the rest".

Sehun glanced down at Baekhyun, who returned the look with a guilty one of his own, "You know", Sehun began, "That sounds a lot creepier and stalkerish than I'd like".

Baekhyun's face dropped, "I'm sorry". He couldn't think of anything else to say.

"But", Sehun paused, "I'm glad you did. We would have bumped into each other anyway, as the recent social events have shown us, but we wouldn't have had quite the opportunity to get to know each other".

"You- you're not mad?", Baekhyun's eyebrows furrowed and he searched Sehun's face imploringly.

"No. I'm not mad. You know what this means though?".

Baekhyun swallowed a ball of apprehension, "What does it mean?".

"I was totally right when I called you a erted stalker".

Not expecting Sehun to say that, Baekhyun flushed with embarrassment and spluttered out, "I'm not a-".

"Stalker?", Sehun interrupted.

"ert. Or a stalker for that matter. Not that it's relevant now, but for the record it was Jongdae's idea".

"I'm hearing a lot about this mysterious Jongdae, I can't wait to meet him. Anyway, you were the one who did it so", Sehun trailed off.

"Trust me, you'll regret saying that later. But you're right. I was the one who did it".

The conversation fell to a comfortable, thought provoking silence - oddly enough, getting this off of his chest made Baekhyun feel a degree closer to Sehun. They stood there for a while, a long enough while that it sparked a little bit of a realisation in Baekhyun.

"Hey, Sehun?", an amused tone crept into Baekhyun's voice.

"Yes, Baekhyun?".

"Can I ask you a question?".

"You just did", Sehun looked down at Baekhyun and smirked, a lopsided, but adorable smirk.

Involuntarily, Baekhyun laughed, "You're such an idiot".

Sehun grinned.

"Did you really disable your alarms and set them on a timer?", Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow at him, a smirk of his own touching his lips.

Sehun glanced at the house of out of the corner of his eye, a wry smile at his lips, "Ah". He held up his phone to display the time - that read past the time he had mentioned earlier, "Looks like it's time".

Baekhyun's small smirk widened into an unstoppable smile, "We'd better run then".

Oh Sehun laughed, a loud, carefree laugh. He held out his hand, palm up, "Ready?", he asked Baekhyun.

Baekhyun responded by grabbing his awaiting hand and interlacing their fingers, "Ready".

Under the guise of a timed alarm, they ran together hand in hand, back into the house.