Chapter 18

I'll Have The Last Laugh

It wasn't hard for Baekhyun to get hold of Kim Jongin's phone number - although things would have been a lot easier if he could just call Sehun himself. Unfortunately, this particular situation called for... well, someone else.

"And you're sure that's it? Nothing else to add to that list?", Baekhyun asked for what felt like the tenth time.

"I'm one hundred percent sure", replied Jongin, for the tenth time.

"Alright then, thank you. And uh do-"

"Don't tell Sehun about this, got it".

Baekhyun gripped the phone in his hand a little tighter and laughed away his awkwardness, "Thank you".

"No problem".

Jongin hung up and Baekhyun gently placed his phone down. If the information Jongin gave him was correct - and he had been assured multiple times that it was - then his next plan of action was ready to go underway.

Jongdae offered to come over and 'oversee the operation', although Baekhyun knew perfectly well that it was more about Jongdae's curiosity than making sure Baekhyun didn't mess up. He declined the offer. Not only would his father disapprove, but he didn't need him snickering in his ear every now and then.

Sehun seemed to think that the 'prank war' was already over, and had they never met again it would have been. But Baekhyun wanted to be the winner. Something also told him that maybe he wanted it to continue so he'd have an excuse to talk to Sehun, but of course that was just silly.

When the Oh's finally came over for dinner, Baekhyun was prepared. Sehun, on the other hand, wasn't. He had prepared himself mentally, ready to win over Baekhyun's father even more with a few charming smiles, and had already thought up a potential conversation in which he gets to see Baekhyun's room. But he had not prepared himself for any possible impending pranks; despite Baekhyun's remark about the war not being over, Sehun didn't think he would do anything in front of their parents.

Sehun, of course, was wrong.

The evening began with pleasant conversation about the weather, various events and how their respective families faired. Politely skirting around any business conversation was simple etiquette; that was a conversation for later in the study. Presumably while drinking expensive alcohol from expensive glasses. As was the way with such things.

Baekhyun had been instructed to give Sehun a brief tour of the house. During this time Baekhyun actually did give Sehun the beginning of a tour. He showed him some of the rooms that they spent some time in, and others that they didn't so much. To Sehun's dismay, Baekhyun's bedroom was not included in the first half of the house tour, despite his very heavy hints at wanting to see it.

"This is the study- sorry, again, not my room", Baekhyun glanced at Sehun from the corner of his eye. He wasn't sure how he felt about their fathers giving them this time to socialise. It wasn't that Baekhyun was scared to be alone with him, but he didn't trust his heart when he was.

"Ah, I'm shocked. I thought for sure that it'd be your room this time".

Baekhyun smiled despite himself and turned his head to hide it from Sehun.

"Any particular reason you're crushing my dreams like this?", Sehun sighed dramatically.

Baekhyun looked at him again now, taking this moment to appreciate how good Sehun looked, especially in the low lighting from the singular desk lamp. If he didn't know any better, Baekhyun would start to think that he had a crush on the man before him. But that was ridiculous, it was just appreciating the suit was all, he told himself.  

"I'm beginning to think you're not showing me on purpose, maybe you've got something in there that'd make me stop liking you. Say, like posters of... dead... puppies?"

"If that was the case I'd show you there straight away", Baekhyun smiled sweetly at him.

Sehun chuckled, "Ever the charmer, Byun Baekhyun".

They were called down for dinner before any further comments could be made. Baekhyun was thankful; he wasn't sure how much longer he could stand in a darkened room with Sehun without admitting something he'd rather deny.

Once they were all seated at the table, Baekhyun and his father on one side, Sehun and his on the other, Mr Byun started to explain to his guests how he'd taken a liking to international cuisine. The menu tonight apparently reflected that.

After their orders were sent in the direction of the kitchen, Baekhyun excused himself to use the bathroom. Sehun watched him go, having no clue if the direction Baekhyun actually went was the direction to the bathroom. He was called back into the conversation shortly after.

Baekhyun knew that what he was about to do was extremely risky. Not only could he be exposed to his father - in front of his guests - as a 'troublemaker', but if he did find out, the staff would be at risk too. It was rather selfish of him, he knew, but either confidence or nerves kicked him into gear and he went ahead with his plan.

When Baekhyun returned to his seat opposite Sehun at the table, nobody suspected a thing.

Not even Sehun.

Their food arrived and the Oh's complimented Mr Byun on its appearance, applauding both him and his chef.

Baekhyun was thankful that they all had different tastes. More than thankful, perhaps. If Sehun had ordered something the same as anyone else at the table, that would have complicated things.

Much like when Baekhyun thought Sehun was raising charcoal-smeared binoculars to his face, he couldn't keep his eyes off of him. The fork - a must with the cultural food - was raised to his lips and a childish sense of success filled Baekhyun. He smirked behind his drink and began eating his own food.

Sehun's reaction was almost instantaneous. Alarm filled his eyes and his mouth opened the slightest amount to somehow cool his now burning tongue. Those shocked eyes looked up from his plate of offending food to lock with Baekhyun's. In that moment, Sehun knew. Baekhyun had him trapped.

Baekhyun didn't hide his smile now and purposely made a show of enjoying his own food.

Mr Byun became aware of Sehun's still pose and stopped eating too, "Is everything alright, Sehun?".

All eyes turned to the frozen Sehun, who forced himself to close his mouth and nod. Baekhyun heard him gulp down the food and a polite smile covered up Sehun's discomfort. "Absolutely, this food is as delicious as it looks".

"Ah, good!", Mr Byun jumped back in to his animated conversation with Sehun's father shortly after.

Sehun couldn't avoid eating the food. His father would look at him with that stern looking gaze of his, his food would be questioned and eventually the chef would get the blame. Sehun was simultaneously impressed with Baekhyun for coming up with a plan that trapped him as well as it did, and concerned that he could be so daring.

Instead, Sehun did the only thing he could think of to do. He very maturely kicked Baekhyun under the table and continued eating his food.

Baekhyun jumped involuntarily as Sehun's kicked connected with his leg. It wasn't a hard kick, or a particularly malicious kick. It was more a I know you did this and while I'm suffering now and you think you've won, I'm going to retaliate later kind of kick.

Neither of their fathers noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Sehun's attempt at taking the highest road he possibly could made him look impressive... for about twenty seconds. After that his reddening face and his watering eyes removed all traces of impressiveness. Then he started coughing, a loud almost choking cough. The conversation at the table cam e to an abrupt halt once more and the polite smile that Sehun's father had been sporting slowly slipped from his face.

Just as Mr Byun raised a hand to call over a server, Sehun raised his own in apology. Everyone in the room was silent, everyone but Sehun. Once he was finished, he took a large gulp of his drink and took a moment to regain his composure.

"Sorry, I- food, breathed it in".

Mr Byun's smile tightened in apparent patience.

Baekhyun knew he'd already won this and he couldn't stand to see Sehun embarrass himself any further. He covertly ordered Sehun a glass of milk from one of the nearby servers.

The silence around the room was now awkward, and Mr Byun felt the need to liven up the conversation once more. "So Sehun, tell me, what kinds of things do you do for fun?".

Sehun cleared his throat as quietly as he could before responding, "I- I like sports and gaming... Playing the piano too".

He could tell from the corner of his eye that his answer wasn't the right one. He hastened to add, "But that's only when I'm not learning the family business".

Mr Oh and Mr Byun chuckled good-naturedly.

"Ah, to be young", Mr Byun smiled at Sehun, "Having hobbies is all well and good but you have to remember that studies come first".

The polite smile that Sehun often practiced in the mirror made an appearance, "Yes sir".

"Our Baekhyun here spends all of his time studying", Mr Byun beamed proudly at his son. That smile was more for his guest's benefit, however.

"Perhaps you should start taking after him, Sehun", his father mimicked his polite smile. Sehun could only smile back.

He's more like me than you realise.

Baekhyun caught his eye then, and Sehun's eyebrows raised the slightest amount.

"I hear that Sehun does a lot for the community, father", Baekhyun turned to face him.

"Is that so?".

"Yes father".

"Well then", Mr Byun glanced over at Sehun. Those eyes appeared to be analysing everything about him, trying to figure out who was the better son out of them both. "That's good work Sehun. You have to have the community's trust if you mean to run a business in their area".

Sehun nodded, "Thank you sir".

They ate the rest of their dinner with a side of light conversation. Sehun masked the taste of his food, and the heat of it, in a pool of milk. Baekhyun smiled and nodded throughout the conversations, but didn't contribute much more.

Eventually the time came when their plates were cleared away and the time to talk business was upon them.

"Sehun", his father spoke gently, "Why don't you and Baekhyun get a little more acquainted while his father and I speak in the study?".

Sehun nodded, "Yes father". His throat felt sore despite the cooling properties of the milk and he did everything he could to keep the crackle out of his voice.

Mr Byun and Mr Oh walked off to the study, leaving Sehun and Baekhyun to stand there in silence.

 


Okay so I had to split this chapter in half because it was too long, meaning that the next chapters's already written and I should be uploading it next week! Yay, consistency. As always, thank you for reading, commenting, subscribing and for upvoting. I love and appreciate each and every thing you guys do so thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know this is only a silly story, but your words and feedback mean a lot to me. Thank you, truly :)