Chapter 12

I'll Have The Last Laugh

 

And then they reached the lake. It was... breathtaking. Even Sehun was lost for words; he couldn't even begin to describe the beauty of this area. It seemed so... unreal. The kind of place you'd only see in pictures and never in real life. The kind that you'd look at and a large part of you doubted whether or not it was Photoshopped. But this place couldn't have been Photoshopped.

The waterfall was awe-inspiring too. Rather than the water descending straight into the lake, it crashed, somehow gently, upon a formation of rocks and the water trickled down from there to meet the lake.

Sehun wasn't the only one taken back by this sight. Baekhyun was too, and so were the couple in front of them, and the couple behind them.  Everyone stopped to stare.

When people started moving again, this time to reach a large grassy area on the side of the lake, Baekhyun wasn't paying attention. He idly rowed the kayak to follow the path of the other kayakers.

One of the pair in front came to a dead stop, Sehun didn't know why nor did he have a chance to ask them before Baekhyun, unseeing, crashed into their kayak.

The force alone wasn't enough to do anything major to Baekhyun's kayak, but the noise and the small jolt was enough to startle Baekhyun. Out of surprise, he dropped his oar and out of panic he reached over to pick it back up from the water.

In these moments, Baekhyun forgot to account for the fact that a large part of staying upright requires balance. Sehun could only watch as the terrified Baekhyun fell into the water.

The safety vest kept Baekhyun afloat, but that didn't stop his arms from flailing wildly in panic or from taking in gasping breaths.

The unexpected splash of Baekhyun falling into the water drew the attention of all other members of the group, but the second unexpected splash startled them even more.

Sehun was probably the most surprised that he had jumped in after Baekhyun. The safety vest would have prevented him from drowning, he would have been fine. But in the seconds it took for Baekhyun to fall in the water and realise what had happened, Sehun had already decided he was jumping in to save him.

Baekhyun couldn't think straight. One of his fears of water rooted from the fact he believed there were creatures waiting to pull him in, but he couldn't admit that to people. And because of that, he had never learnt how to swim. Flailing was all he could do.

Sehun swiftly caught up to him and got met with a hand to his cheek and a splash of water in his mouth, "Baekhyun! Stop! It's okay".

But Baekhyun couldn't stop, didn't Sehun realise he was going to drown?

With a sigh, Sehun pushed past his violently moving arms and grabbed a hold of Baekhyun. To an onlooker it would have seemed like a hug. And it was a hug, of sorts.

Baekhyun's flailing slowly came to a stop as he realised someone was holding him afloat. Without a moment's pause, Baekhyun's arms wrapped around Sehun's safety vest and took several deep breaths of air.

"It's okay, you're not going to drown. I'm here", Sehun could feel his heart racing. He knew that Baekhyun would be fine, but the amount the other man was panicking made Sehun feel like this was a matter of life and death.

Baekhyun didn't speak and continued to cling onto his lifeline.

"I'm going to turn around now, okay? Hold on tight".

Sehun wasn't sure if Baekhyun could understand him, but when he loosened his arms around Baekhyun's waist, Baekhyun's grip on him tightened.

Slowly, Sehun spun round until he faced the area they were intended to head to. The others were watching from the sidelines, worried and confused. Baekhyun continued to cling.

The grassy area was all that Sehun focused on, not the stares of the other group members, not the small smile on Jongin's lips, and certainly not how tightly Baekhyun was holding on. If he squeezed his arms any tighter, Sehun was sure that he would be lost for breath.

It was the first time that Sehun had tried swimming with someone in tow, and it was a great deal more awkward than he would have imagined. But he didn't imagine, and he didn't think. He just swam as carefully and as fast as he could towards land.

When they finally reached land, Chanyeol and the other camp leader quickly pulled them out.

"You were meant to wait for assistance", Chanyeol glanced at Sehun warily as his colleague tried to prize Baekhyun's arms open. He had noticed the panicking of Baekhyun and couldn't berate Sehun too much for taking action, but still he had a job to do and rules to follow.

"I'd say sorry but", Sehun glanced over his shoulder at Baekhyun. His eyes were squeezed tightly shut and his breathing was uneven.

Chanyeol nodded, he understood.

As the other man tried, unsuccessfully, to pull Sehun and Baekhyun apart, Sehun waved his hand away.

"Baekhyun", Sehun called him.

There was no response.

"Baekhyun, you're safe now. We're on land. You're not in water any more".

Gently Sehun placed his hands over Baekhyun's, they were cold and trembling. "Baekhyun, you're okay. If you let go, nothing will happen to you. You're safe".

With the same amount of gentleness, Sehun tried to loosen Baekhyun's grip on him. "It's okay Baekhyun, you're okay". Baekhyun's hold on Sehun began to loosen. Sehun almost sighed in relief.

"There we go, see? Everything's fine".

Baekhyun's face slowly un-tensed. As his eyes began to open, he realised that Sehun was right. He was no longer in the water. Baekhyun shakily pulled his hands from Sehun's grasp and backed away from Sehun's cold and wet body.

Sehun rolled his shoulders and tried to loosen up his joints. Baekhyun was a great deal stronger than he looked.

As the camp leaders both helped them remove their safety vests, Jongin and Kyungsoo walked over to them. "Are you alright?", Kyungsoo eyed Baekhyun in concern. Baekhyun had begun to regain some of his sense, and he nodded.

"I'll be fine".

The ordeal had happened so fast that Sehun hadn't had a second to catch his breath. That was... scary. It shouldn't have been, they were in a controlled environment, but it had scared him nonetheless. He looked over at Baekhyun with an unreadable expression on his face and watched as the camp leaders consoled him.

 


Here it is! Two updates in one weekend.  (Count this as a thankyou for reading and subscribing and being patient up until now ^^)

... I'm sure you all knew exactly what was going to happen here but I wanted to write this scene and it was required for the future of the story so :p

As always, thanks for reading/commenting/subscribing/ect <3