Chapter 10

I'll Have The Last Laugh

The activity of bird watching had now ended, but the day was far from over. Sehun and Baekhyun were pulled back by Jongin to have a chat, whilst Kyungsoo was left to walk back to camp with the overly excitable camp leader.

Jongin could feel Kyungsoo's stare in the back of his head as he left him to walk away with the man-puppy. But he wouldn't be deterred.

The three of them stood in the middle of the woods, a blanket of quiet washing over them. Baekhyun was pulling at his sleeves nervously whilst Sehun stared off into the distance at a squirrel.

Time dragged on before Jongin spoke, and Baekhyun wasn't sure if he was glad about it.

"Guys", Jongin began.

Sehun looked away from the now-distant squirrel and faced Jongin. He had done nothing wrong.

"Look, I get that you two have this weird flirtationship going on, bu-"

Baekhyun spluttered and let go of his sleeves, "What?"

Sehun also looked aghast, "Flir-flirtationship? Jongin please, look at him".

And Jongin did, he looked at how Baekhyun's arm was brushing against Sehun's ever-so-slightly, how Sehun's ever tall figure was slightly slouched towards Baekhyun, how the horror of Jongin's suggestion made both of their eyes widen...

And he laughed, quietly, to himself.

Baekhyun had turned to Sehun now, a disgusted expression broadcasting his opinions, "Look at me? Look at you!"

"I've looked plenty and I can say anyone would be lucky to have me", Sehun shrugged.

Baekhyun's nose wrinkled in disagreement, "Oh please, your massive ego cancels out any good qualities that you may have".

"What about my mass-"

"Anyway", Jongin hastily interrupted. "Clearly I was mistaken, but my point remains the same".

Baekhyun cast Sehun an unpleasant look from the corner from his eye before focusing on Jongin.

"My point is, what you two do is entirely up to you... just don't get Soo involved. That's twice I've had to save your asses now, there's no guarantee I'll be able to help a third time".

Baekhyun looked at the floor like a scolded child.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for-"

Jongin held up a hand, "No, I get it, you didn't mean to get Kyungsoo either of those times. I'm just warning you, next time you won't be so lucky".

Sehun was smiling down at Baekhyun, clearly feeling smug. Jongin sighed.

"Sehun, you too".

"But I-"

"No buts. If Soo gets affected because of either of your pranks, both of you will have to answer to him".

Sehun's lips pressed into a firm line, but nodded nonetheless. He had been friends with Jongin for years and whenever he pulled out his serious face, Sehun knew not to talk back or disagree.

Silence settled once again and Jongin felt a brief flash of relief. He'd said what he needed to say, and now the fate of the two adults who stood glaring at each other was up to them.

The squirrel that Sehun had been watching earlier sat upon a branch overlooking the three, as he observed, he wondered why they were in his home. Suspicion tickled at his brain and the squirrel was overcome with the idea that these three were here to steal his hibernation stash. As the would-be-thieves left the forest, the squirrel stared on after, vowing to protect his food with everything he had.

 

* * *

 

Although Jongin had saved Kyungsoo a lot of anger in the long run, as things stood now he knew that he'd made a mistake.

Kyungsoo sat with a polite expression on his face, a gentle smile, occasional nods of the head to let the person he was sitting with know that he was listening. To an untrained eye, Kyungsoo would appear to be calm and content.

To the eye of anyone that knew him...

Sehun patted Jongin on the back apologetically.

When Kyungsoo spotted Jongin, he stood up instantly and the look of relief on his face was undeniable. His eyes seemed to be pleading Jongin not to leave him with the camp leader Chanyeol for a second longer. Jongin gently smiled back at Kyungsoo in apology.

Sehun, you seriously owe me.

 

* * *

 

After that, Sehun and Baekhyun were a great deal more cautious. Baekhyun decided not to rely on Chanyeol too much for help, and Sehun decided to keep a closer eye on Baekhyun; he didn't want to be punished because of the other man.

Jongin's comment about their... 'flirtationship' bothered Sehun. He certainly didn't feel that way about Baekhyun. Not at all. Him, and Baekhyun? Pah! He'd sooner date Chanyeol.

But he couldn't quite explain why seeing Chanyeol and Baekhyun together made him uneasy. Was it because of a possible prank being imminent? Was it- no, of course it was because of the possible pranks. Jongin didn't know what he was talking about.

Baekhyun hadn't been as shaken up by Jongin's comment as Sehun, he was the master of his own heart and nothing anybody said could change that.

Something that Sehun did agree with, however, was Kyungsoo's suggestion of keeping the pranks small. That suited Sehun just fine, he had begin to run out of ideas and the smaller the prank, the smaller the chance that Kyungsoo would be in the line of fire.

It wasn't long before Baekhyun left the camp to get more supplies, although he claimed it was to 'check on his car'. Not that Sehun believed him, but it gave him the perfect opportunity to create annoying obstacles for Baekhyun's everyday life.

First, he opened up Baekhyun's clothes drawers and ignored the angel on his shoulder that told him it was an invasion of privacy. One by one, he began to turn Baekhyun's clothes inside out, and proceeded to put them back, folded, in the wrong drawers. That'll be inconvenient. Sehun smiled to himself.

Next, he went to visit Luhan to see if the receptionist had any miscellaneous items that could help him with his conquest. Luhan was more than happy to show him around the reception - with a promise that Sehun wouldn't tell his bosses - and lead him to the storeroom for further inspiration.

Sehun rifled through boxes with little luck, until he came across one marked 'Halloween'.

 

* * *

 

When Baekhyun returned, the sly smile that seemed ever present in Sehun's presence emerged. He was up to something, and Sehun didn't want to let him out of his sight.

"Do you plan on following me around all day, Oh Sehun?", Baekhyun asked Sehun as he chose a snack to buy from the cafeteria.

"I don't know what you're talking about, I just wanted to buy a drink and you happened to be here at the same time".

Baekhyun glanced at Sehun out of the corner of his eye and raised an eyebrow. After paying for his snack and walking to an unoccupied table, he asked again. "What's the reason for following me here?".

"There are no other spaces at other tables", Sehun smiled. Baekhyun took one look around the room and saw more empty tables than full ones.

 

After finishing his snack, Baekhyun went outside.

"What about now?"

"I just wanted to see the sunset"

 

Not long after, Baekhyun returned to their cabin.

"Now?"

"I needed to brush my hair".

 

Baekhyun walked into the bathroom.

"And now?"

"I-", Sehun stammered for a response, "I needed to wash my hands". He hastily a tap.

"Look Sehun, if you really wanted to see my -"

Sehun turned off the tap and left the bathroom immediately.

The door closed behind him.

"Don't flatter yourself!", Sehun muttered.

"I heard that!", Baekhyun called out through the door.

"Good!".

 

Whilst Baekhyun was in the bathroom, Sehun idly walked around the room. He had become more and more paranoid as the day went on. He was suspicious of everyone and everything, especially that sly smile of Byun Baekhyun's.

When they went to bed that night - Baekhyun crying in frustration because of the disorganisation of his clothes and Sehun trying to watch everything in his peripheral vision, they became aware of how chaotic their lives had become because of one another. This could have been a pleasant trip away, they could have enjoyed the camp activities to the fullest, they could have had a peaceful night's rest. But that wasn't likely to happen.

They both lay in bed, staring at the ceiling in silence.

"Baekhyun", Sehun began.

It was a while before Baekhyun answered him. "Yes, Sehun?"

"Can we make a deal?"

"A deal?", Baekhyun yawned, "What kind of deal?"

"That we won't do anything to each other in our sleep. Like tying the other one's hair to the bedpost and-"

"Tying hair to the bedpost? What kind of-"

"It was an example".

"A terrifying one".

"The point remains the same, do we have a deal?"

Baekhyun took a moment to consider it, he certainly would like to be able to sleep without fear that Sehun would do something to him, and Sehun looked like he could do with a good night's sleep.

"Alright, you have a deal. No doing anything whilst the other one is unconscious".

Sehun breathed out a heavy sigh of relief.

Baekhyun chuckled to himself, "Were you that worried I'd do something?"

Sehun let the question hang in the air.

"Ah, good point", Baekhyun grinned, "Well, you have my word. I won't go near you while you're sleeping".

"Thank you, and likewise".

They were both silent for a few minutes.

"Sehun?"

"Yes?"

"Where on earth did you get the idea of the tying hair to the bedpost?".

Sehun laughed quietly, "It was in a film".

"I hope your other pranks aren't as malicious as that".

"... You tried to dye my hair blue".

"... Touché", Baekhyun grimaced even remembering it, "That backfired. What happened to the person who had their hair tied to a bedpost?"

"They couldn't untie it".

"And then?"

"They had to cut it all off".

"That is unfortunate".

"So don't tie my hair to the bedpost. I need my hair. My head would be cold without it".

Baekhyun snorted in amusement, "Your head would be cold? I would have thought your vanity would overrule any temperature issues. You know you could wear a hat?"

Sehun sleepily shook his head, "It's not the same".

Baekhyun couldn't help himself from smiling. Tired Sehun was a great deal more tolerable than everyday Sehun. "Your hair isn't long enough to tie to a bedpost anyway".

But Sehun was already asleep, his quiet breathing filled the air and Baekhyun laughed one last time before going to sleep himself, "Goodnight, Oh Sehun".